Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Kiss - opinions?
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 8, 2013 20:43

Had a fairly lenghty 'debate' with a few fellow musicians last night about Kiss. We are all of a similar age 46 =53, all started attending gigs in the mid 1970's, all die hard Rock fans, some of us a little more discerning than others...anyway we got on to the topic of Kiss, a few of us had purchased a couple of their recordings in the 70's others hadn't but had heard their work and a few of us had seen them live. One person in particular is a huge fan and has the bizarre belief that they deserve a place at the top table in Rock history.

Personally, having bought a few of their records and tried to get into them, I had to confess I think they are a complete and utter bag-o-shite. THeir songs are weak, the lyrics embarrasingly bad, they weren't particuarly good musicians and the whole garish face painting just didn't cut it. One of them had a long tongue if that counts for anything but other than that they came across as a shambles of a band and generally were laughed at in the UK. Is it a cultural thing that I'm missing, maybe I haven't heard enough (although I've heard all the 70's stuff) maybe I'm spoilt by comparing to the great bands of the 70's like the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Skynryd, The Who etc etc.

I'd be genuinely interested in what others think.

Re: O/T Kiss - opinions?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 8, 2013 20:47

I like KISS a lot - always have, always will. Born of the same volcano that brought us the Dolls and Aerosmith, they gave a jolt to rock when it needed it - and to me they remain the hardest working band in the biz.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 8, 2013 20:47

I used to be a fan when I was a pepperoni-faced teenager.

You can fling their records pretty far with a good tailwind.

Date: January 8, 2013 20:48

the albums are great until about 1980

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2013 20:54

keefriffhard4life

i sense a theme brewing here

Date: January 8, 2013 21:08

hbwriter
I like KISS a lot - always have, always will. Born of the same volcano that brought us the Dolls and Aerosmith, they gave a jolt to rock when it needed it - and to me they remain the hardest working band in the biz.

You see this is what I can't understand Chris, I like early Aerosmith (although obviously a Stones wannabe band) and the Dolls have their place as pushing rock that little bit further and jolting it out of the mire it was sinking into, but I don't see how Kiss contributed. To me they were just like a bad English pantomime!

Date: January 8, 2013 21:14

crumbling_mice
hbwriter

You see this is what I can't understand Chris, I like early Aerosmith (although obviously a Stones wannabe band) and the Dolls have their place as pushing rock that little bit further and jolting it out of the mire it was sinking into, but I don't see how Kiss contributed. To me they were just like a bad English pantomime!

well, KISS, in the US esp, really unified the youth in a lot of ways - i was 11 - fell in love with ALIVE - and they did provide this sort of escape for many of us - on the back side, i'e gotten to know these guys - i've seen what it takes to do these shows today and it is a TON of work - people cannot imagine - yeah it's juvenile and comic book - but they've done a lot of good in my book - hell, look at all the opening bands they took out and helped develop - they always made that part of their show - almost every major name artist i talk to tips their hat to KISS - i totally apologize for shilling here - but it does strike a nerve- i wrote a book last year about it - i really do appreciate this band - [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 21:15 by hbwriter.

Date: January 8, 2013 21:22

I mena, this still freaking rocks to me -

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:22

keefriffhard4life

Anything with Ace Frehley! Ok and Creatures.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:25

Saw them in 1976, at the age of 11, my second concert, the first was The Sweet. Went by myselfsmiling smiley Had no idea what hey would sound like, was a bit nervous as i had only seen pictures of them. Really liked the show. Next time I saw them was the re-union tour, liked that a lot too. But the next one, Psycho Circus was crap. I like their 70:s, early 80:s output. It´s simple rocknroll, but goes well with beer!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: January 8, 2013 21:26

mickijaggeroo
It´s simple rocknroll, but goes well with beer!

i'm confused...are there things that don't go well with beer?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:30

StonesTod
mickijaggeroo
It´s simple rocknroll, but goes well with beer!

i'm confused...are there things that don't go well with beer?

winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 21:30 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:36

i love KISS !!!!!!!!!YA GOTTA HAVE A PARTY !!!!!!!! SHOUT IT OUT LOUD !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:37

I don't dislike them, but they don't do much for me. I enjoy a few of their songs, but for the most part they were a mixture of theater and music, leaning more heavily on the theater, where I'm more interested in the music. While I'm not a fan of them too much musically, I can't help but admire their merchandising, marketing and publicity skills. They were more than just a band, they were a multi-media entertainment juggernaut. Movies, comic books, action figures, lunch boxes, trading cards, Halloween costumes, anything they could cram one of their faces on, it existed. Such as the infamous "Kiss Coffin". Is it a little tacky? Sure, but the demand matched the supply from the best I can tell.

The thing I like most about them, is that as they've gotten older they have a sense of humor about themselves. It leads to some kind of corny appearances and commercials, but Kiss has never been a band to be taken THAT seriously. They're about fun, so it's all good. If many other bands tried to do what they do it would be pretty sad, but Kiss has always been about more than just music. Well, there was a period in the past where they did start to take themselves seriously (taking off the makeup, their "concept album", etc), but it's also no surprise that these were unpopular projects for them. So I think they've learned to keep it light.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:44

They were my favorite band at one point but that was when I was a pre-teen/early teen- really before I knew what good music was. I think most people that liked them when they were younger kind of forget about them as they get older.

I still like a few of their songs especially the Peter Criss ballads Beth and Hard Luck Woman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:48

I have bought every single album by them...to my son...Kiss is King for him....

For the music my comment is: not worser than AC/DC or Iron Maiden...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 8, 2013 22:01

FrankM
They were my favorite band at one point but that was when I was a pre-teen/early teen- really before I knew what good music was. I think most people that liked them when they were younger kind of forget about them as they get older.

I still like a few of their songs especially the Peter Criss ballads Beth and Hard Luck Woman.

hard luck woman, written by paul stanley, was written for rod stewart who turned the song down

Date: January 8, 2013 22:02

Come On
I have bought every single album by them...to my son...Kiss is King for him....

For the music my comment is: not worser than AC/DC or Iron Maiden...

did you just compare the lyrical contant of kiss and iron maiden. yikes.

Date: January 8, 2013 22:07

Hmmm, well, as usual it's one of those things which seems to depend on what age you were first exposed to them and which country you reside in. They were certainly at the top of the whole glam rock genre, but I doubt that I'll ever find myself grooving along to them whilst I'm driving or playing guitar. It was all a bit too much theatre and not enough musical integrity. AC/DC had the Angu Young thing going on but boy could he play guitar!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:14

I used to be a fan, and the years passed, but I still think Kiss Alive is a very good record. Still have to thank Ace frehley for wake up my musical life

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: January 8, 2013 22:14

is this one of these threads that starts by asking how many people like someone that the thread-starter thinks sucks, with the ultimate result being a bunch of bickering about who's got good taste and who doesn't?

gawd, i love these!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:17

StonesTod
gawd, i love these!

Thought you would. How's the Trans Am running?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:20

Just a fun band - some talent in there too (check out their Unplugged CD).

But in general not too be taken so seriously - like lotsa hair mteal that followed.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:26

keefriffhard4life
FrankM

hard luck woman, written by paul stanley, was written for rod stewart who turned the song down

I love that song regardless but if Rod Stewart had done it it would have been a huge hit and everybody would know that song.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:27

For some reason about 6 months ago I picked up Destroyer and Rock n Roll Over in a double pack, then Kiss and Hotter Than Hell in an additional twin pack, so had 4 of the first few albums for $25, next thing you know I've purchased Kissology Vol 1, the complete Alive Box Set, Kissology 2 & 3....

I'm totally hooked on the simplicity, drive and fun of these guys.
Yeah there are cheesy lyrics, ripped hooks and bad hair (Gene's Samurai anyone), but the fun of the Cobo Hall Shows, Cadillac Michigan, 92 Palace of Auburn Hills with the Ladies (Take it off)...

Kiss...yes

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:29

Burn Bitch Burn

Well it's out of the fryin' pan and into the fire
You bent over, baby, and let me be the driver
Just a cut of pink, wouldn't believe me if I told you
But this time you bit off more than you can chew
My my, yeah, just listen to this, babe
I got nasty habits, it's a fine line, so many girls and so little time
When love rears it's head, I wanna get on your case
Ooh baby, wanna put my log in your fireplace, maybe baby, you wanna get played

Burn bitch burn, oooh, burn bitch burn, oooh
Burn bitch burn, oooh, burn bitch burn

Well it's an act of thrust and anyway you slice it
No sticks and stones, no kicks and groans can hide it
So why kid yourself, it's so cut and dry
Your body's condemned, and figures don't lie

Gonna cover my class, won't sit up and beg
Gotta keep my tail between my legs
You're cuttin' off your nose to spite your face
Ooh babe, gonna put you in your place

So burn bitch burn, oooh - well the heels are stacked now
Burn bitch burn, oooh - and there's nothin' you can do
Burn bitch burn, oooh - so don't burn your bridges
Burn bitch burn - we're all through, we are all through baby, so just burn

Well the heels are stacked against you
Don't burn your bridges, we're all through
Hey babe and there's nothin' you can do

Burn bitch burn, oooh - and there's nothin' you can do babe
Burn bitch burn, oooh - we're all through
Burn bitch burn, oooh - ooh burn, burn my baby
Burn bitch burn, oooh - yeah

Date: January 8, 2013 22:37

StonesTod
is this one of these threads that starts by asking how many people like someone that the thread-starter thinks sucks, with the ultimate result being a bunch of bickering about who's got good taste and who doesn't?

gawd, i love these!

Pretty much Tod, and of course you are in with the rest of us...as usual smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2013 22:38

MILKYWAY
StonesTod
gawd, i love these!

Thought you would. How's the Trans Am running?

see now - if you gotta squint so much it's time for a new prescription

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:22

Stick on Kiss Alive 2 at full volume,and you will get it!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:27

stargroover
Stick on Kiss Alive 2 at full volume,and you will get it!

thumbs down "Alive II" aka "Overdub Paradise"... >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home