Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:52

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Then they went and destroyed it with Too Much Blood...

Hmmmm.....I really really like Too Much Blood. I think it's one of the few times they've taken a big risk; soundwise and beatwise, but that it all worked.

i didn't appreciate the way mick screamed and yelled "TOO MUCH BLOOD" at me. i understand inherently that any blood is too much blood...yelling at me about it doesn't make the point any more valid.

The reason you dislike that, is that you hate the Undercover promo-videos, so you probably you never saw that the girl in the girl and the boy in the video, turns on a horrorfilm on TV in the beginning....then it takes off from there.....horrorfilms on all channels. Everybody likes a little blood....but it just becomes TOO MUCH! They saw your criticism coming and replied with the video, IOW

everybody likes a little blood as long as it's not your own.

and i don't watch videos and the sight of blood makes me ill. strangely enough, i do enjoy blood sausage and blood oranges.

I actively encourage you to take this bloody conversation to the Too Much Blood thread as this particular digital space is reserved for discussion on the excellent Undercover of the Night.

ok. it's giving me the blues, anyway. is there a "love in vein" thread somewhere?

I offer you guys perspective on a crappy track and the latitude to agree with me and this is how you use it?

Typical

Re: Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:53

No, "Undercover" is not "the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue".
That is because there are other candidates, too. (Do not ask me which songs!)

But "Undercover" is the first of two sensational songs that start off an album that probably is their best since EXILE ON MAIN STREET. It stands out as a highlight even of an album perhaps without a weak song.

I worship the Latin American theme of its time, and I love the sound of this song. And it is unique not in a quantitative, but rather (and more importantly) in a qualitative sense as can be said of some other of their songs, too. It is better to be something special than "most unique". Of course, it is excellent!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:54

StonesTod
ahem. most unique? there are degrees of uniqueness now?

and underrated? what was the official rating again? hmmm?

It's VERY unique StonesTod!

Date: January 8, 2013 00:55

DandelionPowderman
Fantastic! Best vocals ever.

"They Remind Me Too Much Of You" or "Such A Night" we're the best vocals ever.
Its not even a well kept secret y'know

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:57

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Then they went and destroyed it with Too Much Blood...

Hmmmm.....I really really like Too Much Blood. I think it's one of the few times they've taken a big risk; soundwise and beatwise, but that it all worked.

i didn't appreciate the way mick screamed and yelled "TOO MUCH BLOOD" at me. i understand inherently that any blood is too much blood...yelling at me about it doesn't make the point any more valid.

The reason you dislike that, is that you hate the Undercover promo-videos, so you probably you never saw that the girl in the girl and the boy in the video, turns on a horrorfilm on TV in the beginning....then it takes off from there.....horrorfilms on all channels. Everybody likes a little blood....but it just becomes TOO MUCH! They saw your criticism coming and replied with the video, IOW

everybody likes a little blood as long as it's not your own.

and i don't watch videos and the sight of blood makes me ill. strangely enough, i do enjoy blood sausage and blood oranges.

I actively encourage you to take this bloody conversation to the Too Much Blood thread as this particular digital space is reserved for discussion on the excellent Undercover of the Night.

ok. it's giving me the blues, anyway. is there a "love in vein" thread somewhere?

No, but there might be a 'Love in vain' thread or even a 'Blood in vein' but no 'Love in vein'......sorry......you get me blurd?smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 01:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:58

Witness
But "Undercover" is the first of two sensational songs that start off an album that probably is their best since EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

excuse me? i was under the strong impression that every album they've released since exile is probably their best since exile.

Date: January 8, 2013 01:00

71Tele
StonesTod
ahem. most unique? there are degrees of uniqueness now?

and underrated? what was the official rating again? hmmm?

It's VERY unique StonesTod!

the official rating is very unique? personally, i, for one, don't think that makes sense.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:27

StonesTod
Witness
But "Undercover" is the first of two sensational songs that start off an album that probably is their best since EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

excuse me? i was under the strong impression that every album they've released since exile is probably their best since exile.

Not by me. I have presented a multi peak perspective on the Stones career. Then I usually have presented UNDERCOVER as my first candidate to be their best album post-"SOME GIRLS".

Do you like any Stones albums yourself? The only time J have seen one unqualified appreciation of anything from you, was the following.

StonesTod 16th of July, 2012 in the OT-thread The Moody Blues
i love them, no matter what the mood.

Have you only once presented a preference of the same kind towards a Stones release, without it being to knock other Stones releases?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:31

Witness
StonesTod
Witness

Not by me. I have presented a multi peak perspective on the Stones career. Then I usually have presented UNDERCOVER as my first candidate to be their best album post-"SOME GIRLS".

Do you like any Stones albums yourself? The only time J have seen one unqualified appreciation of anything from you, was the following.

Have you only once presented a preference of the same kind towards a Stones release, without it being to knock other Stones releases?

Yes, let us bear witness to this...

Date: January 8, 2013 01:34

Elmo
Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?

No.

I'm sorry you didn't understand that was a rhetorical question.

You're answer is therefore not valid.

Date: January 8, 2013 01:36

Witness
StonesTod
Witness

well, i don't take kindly to the band, so why would i present a preference of kind words?

Date: January 8, 2013 01:40

StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

well, i don't take kindly to the band, so why would i present a preference of kind words?

You were kind with what you said about "All The Way Down"...we know you have it within you.

Dig deep!

Date: January 8, 2013 01:41

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

You were kind with what you said about "All The Way Down"...we know you have it within you.

Dig deep!

i was, kinda, wasn't i?

Date: January 8, 2013 01:48

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

Dig deep!

i was, kinda, wasn't i?

Sort of...I don't think you went ALL the way down though.

Date: January 8, 2013 01:51

From Atlantic City 1989....

Date: January 8, 2013 01:53

Its time now to tackle the word excellentest...has your auto correct gone out or have you taken it offline HAL like?

Date: January 8, 2013 01:54

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

Dig deep!

i was, kinda, wasn't i?

and then there was that little bit of kindness i presented about keith's solo on that other song. wow. my beneficence is really underrated!

Date: January 8, 2013 01:58

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

Dig deep!

i was, kinda, wasn't i?

and then there was that little bit of kindness i presented about keith's solo on that other song. wow. my beneficence is really underrated!

yeah, sorry about that...maybe we were just being a little moody.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 8, 2013 02:06

You could say that Undercover Of The Night is the last classic The Stones came up with, though a lot of people like to stop with Start Me Up--which accounts for UOTN's being underrated. Start Me Up was The Stones in the 70s, but UOTN is a great example of The Stones in the 80s--their first, and perhaps their only, example of greatness in the 80s. And, of course, unlike Start Me Up, people will never grow tired of UOTN, because it's so underplayed and is in no danger of achieving war-horse status. The edgy power and drive of UOTN made The Stones a serious contemporary presence in the 80s and was an indication of what they might have achieved throughout that decade had not Jagger's solo career, Watts' drug problems, and WWIII intervened.

Date: January 8, 2013 02:11

stonehearted
You could say that Undercover Of The Night is the last classic The Stones came up with, though a lot of people like to stop with Start Me Up--which accounts for UOTN's being underrated. Start Me Up was The Stones in the 70s, but UOTN is a great example of The Stones in the 80s--their first, and perhaps their only, example of greatness in the 80s. And, of course, unlike Start Me Up, people will never grow tired of UOTN, because it's so underplayed and is in no danger of achieving war-horse status. The edgy power and drive of UOTN made The Stones a serious contemporary presence in the 80s and was an indication of what they might have achieved throughout that decade had not Jagger's solo career, Watts' drug problems, and WWIII intervened.

Thank you for your concise treatise...that is exactly how I feel.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:15

No

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:30

treaclefingers
I say yes...I give you, as my first piece of evidence, their 2nd best video ever (JJF gets nods for the best video):

PLUS, the video was banned...that has to count for something.

No. Lyrically brilliant, but to me, Woody's lines kill it. It's kinda on the order
of that botched pedal-steel solo on "Moon Is Up" ... he really doesn't have a feel
for the track at all. He's playing tasty '50s-style licks on what is basically
a Latin track ... it doesn't work. Everything else is great, though.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 8, 2013 07:13

Just noticed the tiny snippet of "Miss You" right at the beginning of the video before Undercover itself begins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2013 09:30

We did put in some wonderful changes on the song Undercover of the Night, because Keith wouldn't get involved in the song. I remember it being just me, Mick and Charlie. I used to really enjoy playing that song with Mick and Charlie - we took it up into some wonderful adventures with all these different changes. It was really good. There was a great percussive and acoustic version, which is the kind of song it should be, really. The final polished, glossed-up version may have been Mick's vision of the song, but I know the funky version was one he loved as well.

- Ron Wood, 2003 -------------- [www.timeisonourside.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:06

Hardly any Stones song is overlooked. At least not on this forum. I remember the song as innovative and exciting when I first heard it on the radio. Not an easy live song though since it involved a lot of percussion and synthesizers. Maybe the last really exciting Stones first single though.

I remember an interview conducted by Jonas Hallberg where Jagger was asked about the meaning with the lyrics. Typically, Jagger couldn't answer the question (he rarely does). Hallberg insisted and helped him on the way "Is it about the political situation in South- or Central America?". "It could be, or anywhere else" the ever illusive Jagger retorted.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:07

Stoneage
Hardly any Stones song is overlooked. At least not on this forum.

Toss the Coin and Old Vulture are overlooked, also here

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:31

I've alwyas loved that song; it sounds so fresh, so vital. The percussion, the wonderful lyrics and great vocal performance, and I love Woody's lines throughout

Early version with acoustic is as good; Ronnie's blazing lines very exciting to hear. The extended mix is even better than the album mix.

It comes off an album that just falls short of being great; so many good ideas, but the end resuly doesn't coalesce into a transcendant piece of work. An excellent in places but flawed experiment.

The album has such groove; tracks like 'Too Much Blood','All the way Down','Pretty Beat Up', 'Feel on Baby' - some wonderful stuff there. I think the album does work on the whole, but it's just missing that extra spark to elevate it. If they had replaced the few filler tracks it could have been a real standout in the catalogue.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:49

i love this song .one of the great tracks !

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: January 8, 2013 15:54

treaclefingers
Elmo
Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?

No.

I'm sorry you didn't understand that was a rhetorical question.

You're answer is therefore not valid.

What's rhetorical about it?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2013 16:12

I have got the song on a 12-inch single ... a terrible muscular package...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home