Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 8, 2013 16:19

Rockman
We did put in some wonderful changes on the song Undercover of the Night, because Keith wouldn't get involved in the song. I remember it being just me, Mick and Charlie. I used to really enjoy playing that song with Mick and Charlie - we took it up into some wonderful adventures with all these different changes. It was really good. There was a great percussive and acoustic version, which is the kind of song it should be, really. The final polished, glossed-up version may have been Mick's vision of the song, but I know the funky version was one he loved as well.

- Ron Wood, 2003 -------------- [www.timeisonourside.com]

Is the acoustic version available?

Re: Is "Undercover of the Night" the most unique, overlooked, underrated, EXCELLENTest song in the Stones Catalogue?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2013 16:35

Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Then they went and destroyed it with Too Much Blood...

Hmmmm.....I really really like Too Much Blood. I think it's one of the few times they've taken a big risk; soundwise and beatwise, but that it all worked.

Interesting perspective. Very interesting. Uniquely interesting. The next thing they would do that was 'dance' oriented sank the boat (Winning Ugly) and then the very next thing they did dropped a concrete anchor on that boat (Rock And A Hard Place) and fortunately they didn't do anything for a while. Rain Fall Down was the flotsam and jetsam that had finally escaped the boat and floated around.

Too Much Blood is interesting. There's a lot going on. There's a lot in it. It certainly sticks out on this LP since the rest of the songs are very aggressive and hard sounding even though Feel On Baby, another great track with a lot going on in it but not exactly a 'dance' type tune (and fantastic vocals by Jagger, with a couple of nice touches by Keith), ends side 1 and this one starts side 2. I like it. If one can get past their expectations of having hit singles etc this album is great, really - it's challenging. The first three tracks are a fantastic opening.

But what about UOTN? It's a great studio song. Great guitar tone, guitar sound and even some nice playing (Woody). Live it has never worked. Is this their only song that never changes? It's the same thing. And why the overdubbed the wanging guitar sound for Flashpoint will forever be beyond me.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2013 16:50

71Tele
I found that album to be so depressing.

Well try the demos and rough versions then... eye popping smiley
It's amazing what they achieved with this album when you look at the raw material they had.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:12

yeah it's definitely up there.

and speaking of degrees of things...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:22

Take Undercover of The Night, One Hit, and Harlem Shuffle away from Undercover/Dirty Work, and then flush the rest.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:24

24FPS
Take Undercover of The Night, One Hit, and Harlem Shuffle away from Undercover/Dirty Work, and then flush the rest.

Come on, you don't even like Too Tough or All The Way Down? What's not to like about those two tracks?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home