Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What's the ultimate Stones song (one pick only)?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:04

GS

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:27

latebloomer
duke richardson
bitch.

B-stard.

OH...you mean the song? One of my favorites, but I gotta go with JJF. With that song, they were back in the game for the long haul.

grinning smiley

shattered.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:39

i can´t believe almost nobody took
GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER

äääh, only the studio versionn of course.
they never managed to create a big live version. Maybe because Keith doesn´t know the right chords for that. (maybe ry cooder played the orginal version???)
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:42

deardoctor
GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER

they never managed to create a big live version. Maybe because Keith doesn´t know the right chords for that. (maybe ry cooder played the orginal version???)
eye rolling smiley

I'm surprised you didn't pick Dear Doctor

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:47

Rocks Off

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:49

satisfaction,, not only is it a song that you (still) want to stand up and dance with, the riff is the ultimate, early (first) serious riff as we have later called it,that has not been overshadowed later,
Start me up comes second.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:52

deardoctor

eye rolling smiley

I can't believe you didn't read the thread. It's been picked a bunch of times, it is the second overall picked song on the thread, trailing JJF by two votes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-07 23:53 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:22

NoCode0680
deardoctor

eye rolling smiley

I can't believe you didn't read the thread. It's been picked a bunch of times, it is the second overall picked song on the thread, trailing JJF by two votes.

I think Gimme Shelter might stand as the best...I consider ultimate to include an element of archetypal-ness and Gimme Shelter is less archetypal than say JJF or Brown Sugar or Rocks Off or Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:42

There is not only one ultimate Stones song. As a solution I nominate the earliest of those, in fact, many ultimate Stones songs:

"Tell Me"

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: January 8, 2013 00:53

You know i heard this on the radio just today and it still just sounds perfect Honky Tonk Women

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:09

Jumping Jack Flash.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:10

treaclefingers
NoCode0680
deardoctor

eye rolling smiley

I think Gimme Shelter might stand as the best...I consider ultimate to include an element of archetypal-ness and Gimme Shelter is less archetypal than say JJF or Brown Sugar or Rocks Off or Tumbling Dice.

That's the way I considered it too, which is why some of my favorite Stones songs (GS, Paint It, Black, Monkey Man, Sway, Stray Cat Blues, etc) did not get my vote, and I instead went IORR. Songs like GS and PIB are great, some of the greatest, but aren't indicative of their sound or overall philosophy. If the thread asked to name my favorite or "the best" song, those would be in serious contention for me. But I don't think they "define what the Stones are about" as Roadster32 posed it to us. It could be for some though, "what the Stones are about" is pretty open for interpretation. I doubt you could ask the band and get the same answer to that question twice.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:17

Paint it Black

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:29

GS

Posted by: EalingClub ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:38

Moonlight Mile.

Posted by: erikd ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:10

Can't You Hear me Knockin.

great opening riff and killer solo by MT.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:12

Sympathy for the Devil

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:26

Continental drift............Love comes at the speed of light - perfect.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:54

Rocks Off

As much as I like JJF, GS, CYHMK, HTW, SFM, and so many others, on Rocks Off, the band was never better and it has all things that make the Rolling Stones the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World.

Never better..

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2013 14:45

deardoctor
!!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER !!!!!!GIMME SHELTER

they never managed to create a big live version.

You need to discover a "small" chunk of the Stones trek : the live years 72-73 smoking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 8, 2013 15:34

Stray Cat Blues

jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2013 16:55

Tumbling Dice.

Alternates: Jigsaw Puzzle, Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man, Brown Sugar, Rocks Off, Loving Cup, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, If You Can't Rock Me, Hey Negrita, Slave, When The Whip Comes Down, She's So Cold, Tie You Up.

Date: January 8, 2013 17:26

GasLightStreet
Tumbling Dice.

Alternates: Jigsaw Puzzle, Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man, Brown Sugar, Rocks Off, Loving Cup, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, If You Can't Rock Me, Hey Negrita, Slave, When The Whip Comes Down, She's So Cold, Tie You Up.

Good lord...if Tumbling Dice is not up to the task of fulfilling her roll as ultimate song, you do have a long list of runner's up to fill her shoes.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:59

Tumbling Dice for me.

For me, that one stands for things the Rolling Stones were best (or even unique) at, in their time. Not that I like JJF, GS, IORR or Beast of Burden less but the difference is: For those tunes I can imagine other artists creating tunes in similar style as well.

Date: January 8, 2013 18:11

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Tumbling Dice.

Good lord...if Tumbling Dice is not up to the task of fulfilling her roll as ultimate song, you do have a long list of runner's up to fill her shoes.

Just. Making. Sure.

Date: January 8, 2013 21:21

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Tumbling Dice.

Just. Making. Sure.

What I'd like to know is whether Tumbling Dice wins any sort of prize for this.

Date: January 8, 2013 21:24

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Tumbling Dice.

Just. Making. Sure.

What I'd like to know is whether Tumbling Dice wins any sort of prize for this.

It does but not in your region.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:14

For this choice, I will have to pick a cover: Little Red Rooster.

A defining moment for The Stones. In taking pure rhythm and blues to the top of the charts in Britain, they did what no other recording artist before--and, I believe, since--managed to accomplish.

The Stones established their reputation through their interpretation of the blues, and this track is as authentic an interpretation as they ever achieved on record.

Brian's slide virtually makes this cover a Stones original.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:16

stonehearted
Brian's slide virtually makes this cover a Stones original.

still no match for wolf's original...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:21

erikd
Can't You Hear me Knockin.

great opening riff and killer solo by MT.

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home