Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Mixed Emotions
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 3, 2018 17:59

KRiffhard
Is 'Mixed Emotions' their last great song?
I think so...along with 'Highwire'.
[www.billboard.com]

Definitely a fun sing-along, as is Highwire, but sorry, neither one I would call "great".

Great on Steel Wheels, for me, would be Slipping Away and ...(i hesitate to say it, i will get bashed) Blinded By Love **ducks projectiles**

I also love Terrifying & Break The Spell. Sad Sad Sad rocks pretty hard but also fits into the "not great" category.

The rest of the album ... eh.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 3, 2018 18:23

what about "Almost Hear You Sigh"?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 3, 2018 18:50

Wild Slivovitz
what about "Almost Hear You Sigh"?

That would be the 'eh' part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 19:04 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 3, 2018 19:06

Little confusion between "Blinded By Love" and "Almost Hear You Sigh" maybe?confused smiley

Date: January 3, 2018 19:14

DoomandGloom
It was written by Keith for The Winos. Titled "Mick's Emotions." One of my favorite tracks from this era.

Not according to Keith.

I wrote this very early on in the session with Mick in Barbados. People always accuse me of intending some sort of pun here, you know "Mick's demotion", but it isn't true.
- Keith Richards, 1993

[timeisonourside.com]

Keith about STEEL WHEELS, with a nice dig at the abysmal DIRTY WORK:

(We want to prove) that we can still make a better record than we've ever made. Whether you do or not doesn't really matter. It's just going for it and thinking the possibility is there and not just trying to make time. Or, God forbid, go backwards.
- Keith Richards, 1989

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: January 3, 2018 19:23

Wild Slivovitz
Little confusion between "Blinded By Love" and "Almost Hear You Sigh" maybe?confused smiley

Not for me. Almost Hear You Sigh is a puzzling one, I never get why its so loved. It's average at best.

smiling smileyRe: Track Talk: Mixed Emotions
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 3, 2018 19:39

Button your lips baby, button your coat , let's go out dancing (love the lyrics)Your not the only one with MIXED EMOTIONS

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: January 3, 2018 19:59

My favourite song!

' You're not the only one with mixed emotions'

These words so trivial, get a deeper sense...
very touchy...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 3, 2018 20:03

LeonidP
Wild Slivovitz

Not for me. Almost Hear You Sigh is a puzzling one, I never get why its so loved. It's average at best.

First time I agree with you honey!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 3, 2018 20:09

I'm one of the few posters on this site who always loved this song and I considerate one of the best of their later day big solid rock hits. It is catchy and it swings.

Date: January 3, 2018 20:18

LeonidP
Wild Slivovitz

Because it's miles - hell, light years - above:

Following The River
Streets Of Love
Always Suffering
Already Over Me
Anyway You Look At It

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 3, 2018 20:50

Love Mixed Motions, always have. It rocks in a uberconfident and relaxed way that I find irresistible. The last minute of the studio version, where they rock it out, is just great.

Date: January 3, 2018 21:03

The press conference was hilarious. Mick playing the song, with Ronnie introducing it as "A bit of a sample", which for some reason I always found hilarious.

THAT was a blast - because the song sounded really good. Considering the horrific accident three years before, that bit of a sample - and then the single release - was gold.

Can't find any videos of it - the whole press conference, that is, but there is this little bit at 2 minutes in:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 3, 2018 21:43

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Wild Slivovitz

Following The River
Streets Of Love
Always Suffering
Already Over Me
Anyway You Look At It

Following The River - YES
Streets Of Love - YES
Always Suffering - No, I always liked this one, great feel, bass, singing, etc.
Already Over Me - No, another sappy one i like
Anyway You Look At It - YES

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2018 22:04

Sighunt
I'm one of the few posters on this site who always loved this song and I considerate one of the best of their later day big solid rock hits. It is catchy and it swings.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 4, 2018 01:09

i liked the fact the band were releasing a new album then touring as it was my first experience of this sort as a fan having become one in 1987.

i liked the album, felt it was radio friendly and had an exotic edge to it that dirty work missed, also had ballads, and didnt show the band up as mediocre, however mixed emotions was a weak single which was redeemed by the rest of the album, but steel wheels hasnt aged to well.

Date: January 4, 2018 03:15

The Desert Trip performance were WEAK. Wow.

Date: January 4, 2018 03:21

mrfancyman
marcovandereijk
They were back!
That's what mattered the most at the time.
It took an enormous amount of time for them to come up with a new album, after going
through (what the press called) World War III. But here they were. The hatchet was buried,
and Mick didn't mind singing about Mick's Demotion.
I remember being impressed by it all. Even my friends, who were not "into" the Stones,
congratulated me with the fine singles that came from Steel Wheels at the time.

This clip gave us an idea of what was going on in the studio:

Hilarious is the quote of Keith to Charlie just before they count of and start the song live in the studio:

"Don't go mad at the drum solo".

I watched it again, the 'making of' bit. So staged, that one bit, Mick and Keith going over the chorus!

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: January 4, 2018 03:23

worst single ever--possibly in a three way tie with Don't Stop and Harlem Shuffle (I love HS but as a lead off single from newest LP in 3 years? no.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 4, 2018 04:15

GasLightStreet
The Desert Trip performance were WEAK. Wow.
Having been at both, and having not been bothered to listen to any boots yet, my thoughts based on memory:

Desert Trip 1 definitely weak.
Desert Trip 2 not so weak.

At Desert Trip 1 - I was able to meander in and out and all around the firt 30 rows the entire night (security was lax and almost non-existent). The show opened with a boring Start Me Up, and included a very lame oddball cover of the Beatles' Come Together (why?). Even more mysterious is they played Mixed Emotions!!! Why?!!! Not only is it a crappy song, but if Mick states it's difficult to perform live, why play it on front of a festival sized audience?

Desert Trip 2 - I was on the rail of the catwalk in the pit the entire show which opened with a smashing JJF, and the setlist included Get Off My Cloud, Live With Me, and Sweet Virginia. Also, and maybe a bit odd for some to relate to, but Angie was stellar under the desert sky.

Midnight Rambler was the highlight of both weekends, and personally I really liked the blues covers (Ride 'Em on Down wkd 1 and Just Your Fool wkd. 2). But it should be noted that many around me seemed disinterested and restless during the blues covers - many were casual (or non) Stones fans and wanted only the hits! Overall the shows were generally bland, but was happy to see them again as part of the entire Desert Trip package. Out of the six bands that played both weekends, I'd rank the Stones down at #4 tied with McCartney. No offense to Bob Dylan as I always love seeing him in theaters and other small venues, but it was very odd seeing him play in a gigantic festival setting, and it didn't quite translate.

But what came next in *Vegas made the Stones Desert Trip shows seem like masterpieces in comparison. After cancelling Vegas 1, Mick was still sick for the second show - he restrained himself and barely let out a 'woo-hoo' during Sympathy or a 'I said yeah, wooo' during Brown Sugar. It was a short setlist abruptly ending after 18 songs, and as a whole it was the worst show I've seen them play and have ever experienced. Sure Keith and the rest of the band made an extra effort to carry some of the weight (Keith even had a three song set), but that's not what makes for a great Stones show. It's like watching your favorite football team, but the star quarterback is having a bad night and ultimately the team ends up losing. Had I paid more than I did (paid a 1/4th of face value for floor tickets the day of show via stubhub), I might have been pissed off. Still think they should have cancelled, but am happy I was able to see them play Midnight Rambler for what was probably the last Stones show I'll ever see. And then they went off to play another private show raking in millions a couple of days later - many who had tickets for the cancelled first show were none too happy about it and rightfully irked (several posted their dissatisfaction here on IORR). If that's the last of the Stones in the US, they certainly went out with a whimper.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 4, 2018 04:25

Love the way it drones, and so help me I love the (staged) video of Mick and Keith working out the song.
The lyrics are uneven, but it's a true thought and I always heard it as Keith saying to Mick, 'you know, I have doubts about soldiering on, too.'

Date: January 4, 2018 10:43

I really like 'Mixed Emotions'...but this live version is really poor:
[youtu.be]

Date: January 4, 2018 16:34

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Wild Slivovitz

Following The River
Streets Of Love
Always Suffering
Already Over Me
Anyway You Look At It

Following The River - YES
Streets Of Love - YES
Always Suffering - No, I always liked this one, great feel, bass, singing, etc.
Already Over Me - No, another sappy one i like
Anyway You Look At It - YES

I had to delete Already Over Me and Always Suffering from my computer. Any time I accidentally played them it always left me suffering.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 4, 2018 16:50

Should be a future web vote candidate...thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 4, 2018 16:58

diverseharmonics
worst single ever--possibly in a three way tie with Don't Stop and Harlem Shuffle (I love HS but as a lead off single from newest LP in 3 years? no.)

Harlem Shuffle is classical Stones goes Soul. What should have been the first single instead? Hold Back or Sleep Tonight? One Hit sounds like made for the 2nd single.

Date: January 4, 2018 18:14

Monsoon Ragoon
diverseharmonics

Harlem Shuffle is classical Stones goes Soul. What should have been the first single instead? Hold Back or Sleep Tonight? One Hit sounds like made for the 2nd single.

Seeing that Harlem Shuffle is the best song on the album - period - it makes sense that it was the first single.

Date: January 4, 2018 18:15

diverseharmonics

You prefer Streets Of Love to those?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 4, 2018 18:34

First Stones album I ever got, after getting into my Dad's Hot Rocks cassette, so I'll always like it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2018 18:35

I first heard 'Mixed Emotions' on an old AM radio in a rusted old van I'd borrowed. The first snap of the snare drum woke me, and then Bill's choking bass line announced it was a Rolling Stones song before Mick sang. I would have been sad to know it was the last time I'd have that great feeling until 2010 with 'Plundered My Soul'. Different, rubbery bass line, but you get the point.

Date: August 29, 2021 12:48

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Mixed Emotions
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Air Studios, Montserrat, West Indies, March 29 - May 5, 1989 and
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 15 - June 29, 1989

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Chuck Leavell - piano, organ
Luis Jardim - percussion
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals
Lisa Fisher - backing vocals
Sara Dash - backing vocals
Kick Horns - brass, horns

Button your lip, baby, button your coat, let's go out dancing, go for the throat
Let's bury the hatchet, wipe out the past, make love together, stay on the path
You're not the only one with mixed emotions
You're not the only ship adrift on this ocean

This coming and going is driving me nuts
This to-ing and fro-ing is hurting my guts
So get off the fence now, it's creasing your butt
Life is a party, let's get out and strut, yes
You're not the only one that's feeling lonesome

You're not the only one, you're not the only one

Let's grab the world, girl, by the scruff of the neck
And drink it down deeply, let's love it to death
So button your lip, baby, and button your coat
Let's go out and dancing, let's rock and roll, yeah
You're not the only one that's feeling lonesome
You're not the only one with mixed emotions, mixed emotions, yeah

You're not the only one, you're not the only one…

Produced by Chris Kimsey & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Mixed Emotions / Fancyman Blues” 7” single
(CBS 655193-7) UK, August 16, 1989

Hi guys!
What does Mick sing from 3:36 until the final "Whooo"?

[youtu.be]

"...you better stick, stick it together, yeah
You're not the only one - you better stick, stick, stick it together
You're not the only one - I want to paddle, yeah, paddle (...) with my feet
You're not the only one - yeah, fooling around, kicking and dancing
You're not the only one - you, you, you, the only one... (...)
Whoo!"

I hear "We'd better step...step...step...together"...and i'm not so sure about the word " Paddle". Then there is a "C'mon" before "Whooo"!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 13:05 by KRiffhard.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home