Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Mixed Emotions
Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 7, 2013 18:21

Re: Track Talk: Mixed Emotions new
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 7, 2013 18:01

Mixed Emotions was like a gust of fresh, bracing ocean air after the lull the band experienced in the mid-80's. It shouted "Hey, we're back!!" .. and it did so with style and aplomb. I can remember hearing this one for the first time and being so excited that my favorite band was once again creating great rock and roll. That driving rhythm, those soaring harmonies, and Mick's plaintive cries to bury the hatchet and wipe out the past, all told the listener that the Stones were back with a vengeance.

One of the best tracks on Steel Wheels and still sounding very good today. Excellent video, too.
Drew

+1.

Though they didn't mention the separate dressing rooms, the fact that they weren't talking to each other much offstage, that the Vegas era was coming, etc.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2013 18:31

drewmaster
Mixed Emotions was like a gust of fresh, bracing ocean air after the lull the band experienced in the mid-80's. It shouted "Hey, we're back!!" .. and it did so with style and aplomb. I can remember hearing this one for the first time and being so excited that my favorite band was once again creating great rock and roll. That driving rhythm, those soaring harmonies, and Mick's plaintive cries to bury the hatchet and wipe out the past, all told the listener that the Stones were back with a vengeance.

One of the best tracks on Steel Wheels and still sounding very good today. Excellent video, too.

Drew

aplomb? seriously? i don't think the stones have ever seriously dabbled in aplomb.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 18:47

i remember on vacation at lago maggiore in italy, listen to first radio airplay on the carstereo ... i was excited to hear it for the first time a good song after so many years .... and to be honest i stil like the SW album..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2013 18:53

StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

aplomb? seriously? i don't think the stones have ever seriously dabbled in aplomb.

The first six chords on their version of 'Not Fade Away' are high aplomb.

Date: January 7, 2013 18:54

24FPS
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

The first six chords on their version of 'Not Fade Away' are high aplomb.

i'll have to listen again. any other notable forays into aplomb?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:06

StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

I for one stay away from aplomb type of work. If the toilet needs fixing, I use aplomber.

Date: January 7, 2013 21:13

treaclefingers
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

I for one stay away from aplomb type of work. If the toilet needs fixing, I use aplomber.

didn't he play bass on turd on the run? it's all making sense now...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:18

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

This will be the best post of the year!

In the same league of the best Marx bros.

C

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:27

Steel Wheels was the first current album I bought from the Stones. Always loved Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:46

liddas
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

C

No, no, no - if you want aplomber, you need the Mario Bros.

Date: January 7, 2013 21:46

liddas
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

C

While I'm in agreement I do feel I have to be given credit for the set up. A good straightman is hard to find, and often underregarded, or something.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:59

treaclefingers
liddas
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
drewmaster

Drew

C

While I'm in agreement I do feel I have to be given credit for the set up. A good straightman is hard to find, and often underregarded, or something.

In the end we're all just straight men (and women) for StonesTod.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 7, 2013 22:07

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 7, 2013 22:10

Whenever I hear a cover band play I Want To Hold Your Hand,the opening guitar riff always makes me think they are about to play Mixed Emotions!

Date: January 7, 2013 22:49

donvis
Whenever I hear a cover band play I Want To Hold Your Hand,the opening guitar riff always makes me think they are about to play Mixed Emotions!

yeah, the Beatles are such rip-off artists!

Date: January 8, 2013 01:57

This is a clip from 25x5...it cracked me up then and now, the 'writing' of Mixed Emotions...just hilarious:

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 8, 2013 06:03

After the Dirty Work album I thought this song sounded like Jumping Jack Flash in 1989. it was good to have something with some energy. It has not aged all that well but I quite like the track. And again its miles ahead of anything off of the previous album!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2013 06:22

Tantekäthe
I still remember hearing the fake JJF intro and then Jagger's debile verses on the radio back in 1989, thinking: can it get any worse than that?
To me, they finally hit rock bottom with this one, going for the most obvious stadium rock clichés to please those beer-bellied babyboomers who do not want to be bothered with any kind of musical challenge

There's nothing 'fake JJF intro' about this track. Where do you even faintly hear any JJF in this track!!??

Date: January 8, 2013 06:29

billwebster
I got into the Stones by ways of Wandering Spirit. That was much later than when this song came out. Hence, my emotional attachment to it as being an event is absolutely nil. I'm just saying ...

Anyway, when I got Steel Wheels, it was already the early 00s. I had pre-listened to the album in a store in the 90s though, and nothing really grabbed my attention. Instead, the sound design rather put me off, so I postponed the album until later.

That's why "Mixed Emotions" to me is just a slightly above average song in their oeuvre, slightly above the average standard on "Steel Wheels", too. I prefer "Sad Sad Sad" and "Rock And A Hardplace" over this track. The former should have been the single, not this one.

You pre-listened to it? So you didn't listen to it?

Date: January 8, 2013 06:32

It was fun when it came out. That's about it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2018 09:20

Is 'Mixed Emotions' their last great song?
I think so...along with 'Highwire'.
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 3, 2018 09:43

Just loved the track when it was released, went nearly mad every time it was played on the radio or dance halls.

Unfortuntaely, it never worked live as Mick's studio singing is hard on his voice scale limits which might have been the reason for his so-so singing during the following tours ... and possibly the reason why the Stones never played it live again afterwards.

But in late summer of 1989, it was THE SONG for me. For a while.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 3, 2018 09:50

Not a great song. Didn't sound like a Stones single. But the 12" mix is interesting, as well as the unpolished outtakes.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2018 09:57

Not a good song at all.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 3, 2018 10:04

dull

Rod

Date: January 3, 2018 10:28

"...Mick and Keith must have been doing something right while recording Steel Wheels in Montserrat, because “Mixed Emotions” is still the last Stones to be worthy of being a top ten hit"
[dontforgetthesongs365.wordpress.com]

Date: January 3, 2018 10:40

A good single with a nice hook. It's different (at least the bridge and the choruses).

However, the sound of it is dull, very dull, imo. Could have used a rawer guitar sound and/or more prominent acoustic guitars.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2018 11:02

The whole album had too much 80s polish in the production.

Date: January 3, 2018 11:03

DandelionPowderman
A good single with a nice hook. It's different (at least the bridge and the choruses).

However, the sound of it is dull, very dull, imo. Could have used a rawer guitar sound and/or more prominent acoustic guitars.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 3, 2018 17:32

I love Mixed Emotions - especially the Monitor Mix.

Atlanta Rhythm Section has a great - and different - song called Mixed Emotions.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home