Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Sad old Marianne, says the Daily Mail
Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:01

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 18:42 by bv.

Re: Sad old Marianne, says the Daily Msad smileyail
Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:26

She has had a tough life for sure

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:46

Yes, yes, yes poor Marianne. Must be hard being defined by who you shagged forty plus years ago. But relationships do end and people do move on. She seems incapable of this.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:56

BlackHat
Yes, yes, yes poor Marianne. Must be hard being defined by who you shagged forty plus years ago. But relationships do end and people do move on. She seems incapable of this.

And there was I thinking that I was the only person thinking exactly this. You're quite right. She definitely needs to move on ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:58

I guess poor is relative....2 homes in 2 countries?
I can only manage 1 in 1....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:02

What a load of shite that article is.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:18

Munichhilton

Heart breaking. Hope David Cameron doesn't cut her benefits.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:23

Forget about dailymail and check out her recent albums. "Before The Poison" (2005), "Easy Come, Easy Go" (2008) and "Horses and High Heels" (2011) are all packed with good songs and great vocal performances.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:29

This is the "Daily don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Mail". folks.
Check this one out:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:29

paulywaul
BlackHat

And there was I thinking that I was the only person thinking exactly this. You're quite right. She definitely needs to move on ....

I don't like to be a judge on other individuals' lives and on what they should feel about deciding turningpoints in their personal existence. Personal wounds might be deep. When your name is Marianne Faithfull, you are an object to the public eye, and you will be regularly asked about it, even if you try to move on.

To me Marianne is defined as well by a list of albums, from which I enter only the ones I have got myself. Apart from that, I once attended one of her concerts.

Broken English

Dangerous Acquaintances

A Child's Adventure

Strange Weather

Addition: When I was writing this, I had not seen Kowalski's post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 18:22 by Witness.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:44

Munichhilton

Yeah exactly! She lived in the Madeleine area of paris, a place where all I can afford is a coffee... standing/at the "comptoir"!

So yeah her definition of poverty is peculiar.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:48

dcba
Munichhilton

Yeah exactly! She lived in the Madeleine area of paris, a place where all I can afford is a coffee... standing/at the "comptoir"!

She's done very well out of her association with the Stones.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:56

Never heard of Mick having a girlfriend named 'Catherine James' before.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:59

BlackHat
dcba
Munichhilton

She's done very well out of her association with the Stones.

except for the heroin addiction and suicide attempt I guess you're right.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:03

Quit Judging her current looks- Do we look as good now as we did while in our 20s or even 30s?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:21

The Daily Mail has another interesting "rock girl" (Linda McCartney) story here >>>[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:30

Review for Marianne's Berlin concert in the Morgenpost 14.07.2012
by Marianne Faithfull - Official Page on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 5:56pm ·

Marianne Faithfull at the microphone is on top form

Fans in the courtyard at Koepenick got to see the Sixties icon up close. By Peter E. Mueller

She was met with awe and admiration. You can hear in her voice the effects of alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and a dissolute life but it is a voice than can express so much love, sorrow and joy. This petite woman in a black trouser suit wearing a deep red lipstick clearly relishes it, performing her songs with emotional force.

It was only in 2011, that Marianne Faithfull opened the Spandau Citadel Festival. Now the 65-year-old Sixties icon is back on another open-air stage in Berlin. This time, on a cool but dry Friday night at the sold out 700 strong audience in the Koepenick courtyard .

Now, some of you will wonder: The Marianne Faithfull? In Köpenick? Yes! For the past 17 years Köpenicker Ratskeller has been organized the passionate jazz fan Pinzl Wolfgang who has hosted many veteran musicians over the years as part of the "Köpenicker Blues and Jazz Festival": This year he successfully persuaded Marianne who now lives in Paris to appear in the intimate setting of this historic building. So now, we all have the opportunity to be close to a real legend.

After the impressive, opening performance by Gemma Ray another British singer Marianne Faithfull took to the stage with "Horses And High Heels", the title track of her current, album recorded in New Orleans. She needed a helping hand climbing the steep steps to the stage, but once she arrived at the microphone, with a disarming smile she was in tip-top shape. "Thanks for having us” she says: "Berlin is one of my favourite cities in the world."

Marianne Faithfull has savoured every part of her enduring career. The pretty, blond girl from the convent school was only 17 years old she had her first hit with "As Tears Go By," written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. She became the crown princess of Swingin' London, the muse of the Rolling Stones, and Jagger's mistress. Ultimately she was consumed by the rock 'n' roll circus, sinking deeper and deeper into depression and drug addiction.

In 1979, liberated from her past she created her masterpiece album "Broken English". A bold, angry, passionate collection of songs, many of which were performed in the second part of the concert, including "Brain Drain". The band was made up of three powerful and experienced musicians on guitar, bass and drums, and the band leader Kate St. John who played piano, organ, sax and oboe all of which leant great strength to Marianne's new songs and cover versions, including a beautiful acoustic version of Bob Dylan's "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down."

Marianne Faithfull went to sit on a chair as the band played their solos, looking serious and breathing heavily. When they finished she returns to the microphone stand and would put on this really very charming and professional smile. She is an old-school entertainer, introducing every song, often with a little story in a way that is so very English. She sang "Crazy Love," a song she wrote with Nick Cave, and jokes, "I'm testing you, to see if you know this one!" Everyone knows "this one", of course, as the first notes of "As Tears Go By" ring out.

She asks the audience if they are enjoying themselves and admits that she’s probably getting a bit deaf. One can’t shake the feeling that she is not feeling particularly good this evening, especially when you remember her being helped onto the stage.

She sings "Broken English" and "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan," Leonard Cohen's "Tower of Song" and the long, rude and rocking "Why'd Ya Do It," where she is perfectly at home with the coarse reproofs of a deceitful lover: It is the final track on "Broken English" and the last song of the evening.

All in all we had twelve songs and 75 minutes, and then our encounter with one of the most fascinating personalities of popular music came to an end. There was lots of applause but even so there was to be no encore.

Marianne Faithfull 9/02/2013 New Morning Paris Costs 47,30€

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:59

His Majesty
What a load of shite that article is.

I agree. What rubbish. peace

Re: Sad old Marianne, says the Daily Mail
Date: January 6, 2013 19:14

Irrespective of the story content and its source there's still no need to feel sorry for Marianne Faithfull. Her life, her choice, her responsibility.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:34

Who would believe
You were a beauty indeed

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:35

When Paul McCartney dated Maggie McGivern during the Beatles, he would broach the subject of marriage and she would play hard to get. Years later—living a very modest life—she regretted she didn't jump at the suggestion they marry.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:41

Hells bells, we all have our regrets, you don't get through life without them. I doubt Marianne dwells on Mick and what might have been, I wouldn't take the article seriously.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:52

latebloomer
Hells bells, we all have our regrets, you don't get through life without them. I doubt Marianne dwells on Mick and what might have been, I wouldn't take the article seriously.

She really did say this in her Q mag interview last month
‘I could’ve stayed with Mick and he did love me, but I couldn’t bear it, that world. I just felt not good enough. Low self-esteem. All the things a drug addict feels.
‘But I don’t think I would’ve felt like that if the drugs bust hadn’t happened. I think we would’ve been fine. Would we have been together today? I don’t know. Why not?"

so I'd say she still dwells on Mick - no matter how much we think it is strange or unreasonable

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:54

BTW she did sleep with Brian according to Anita. One cant help but wonder how Mick reacted. This was before Keith moved in with Brian and Anita.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: January 6, 2013 20:02

something else about Marianne. She calls Keith a envious person.

[www.vintagevinylnews.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 6, 2013 20:03

What a misleading title. She doesn't sound particularly bitter or unhappy with her current situation - that's all the writer. Typical Daily Mail.

She's had a decent career. I just bought her "Broken English" album that has been rereleased on 180g vinyl by the audiophile label Audio Fidelity. It's a great record.

[store.acousticsounds.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 6, 2013 20:09

Do you have any regrets in your career?

Whatever happened, I got to here, and this is a great place to be. I do sometimes think I could have done without the drugs actually; that was a waste of time, and a huge risk. But then again, there’s nothing I can change, so in a way regret is pointless.

It’s such a hard subject to avoid in your life - interviewers do tend to dwell on that aspect of you.

I’ve understood that one of my jobs is to be a bit of a witness, and if I’m just doing that, I can do it, and I don’t take it all so personally.

What’s the best thing about being Marianne Faithfull today?

I have a lovely life, I do really good work that I like doing - I’m really looking forward to performing - and I’m really proud of this record. This is a very good place to be.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:25

Chris Fountain
Quit Judging her current looks- Do we look as good now as we did while in our 20s or even 30s?

Checked through the thread for a reference to her current looks, but couldn't find the one you're referring to. Why are you referring to her current looks?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:31

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain

Checked through the thread for a reference to her current looks, but couldn't find the one you're referring to. Why are you referring to her current looks?

Because it seems to me that folks are facilitating her current looks of the past. Not all forum participants, but maybe she is happy? MT is happy despite a few pounds heavier. Some posts were suggestive of this development. That's all. She is performing and seems content in my view.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:44

Heck wonder what sort of soup she was having at the Earl of Warwick party ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home