Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What Happened to Plundered My Soul?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 4, 2013 01:58

This was a terrific song on the reissue of Exile on Main Street, and was met with great eagerness by this group. I was really hoping we could hear that at the recent concerts, instead of the usual war horses. I also would have liked to hear Keith sing his version of Soul Survivor instead of Happy. What about hearing Following the River instead of Wild Horses, which they play at almost every concert.

The Stones are playing well, but we need some variety.

Re: What Happened to Plundered My Soul?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 4, 2013 02:02

He screwed up Happy when I saw them in Brooklyn, I doubt he was ready to sing a "new" song but I'd do anything to hear them play "Soul Survivor." That's what they are of course.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 4, 2013 02:50

Thank God it went away. Worst song since Shattered.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 4, 2013 02:51

If they're gonna do Soul Survivor, egads, for crying out loud let MICK sing it!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 4, 2013 02:55

But yes, I would have loved it if they did Plundered My Soul.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 03:11

Mick has a very short attention span. Even though this was the first set of shows since the Exile reissue, that was 2010. Might as well be 1910 to Mick. Mick seems to have two trains of thought. Number one is new stuff, get it out there, play the new stuff, move some records. The other is responsibility to the classics, playing the old songs people want to hear. It's all about "the right now" and "the distant past", the recent past doesn't seem to interest him all that much.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 03:20

flilflam
This was a terrific song on the reissue of Exile on Main Street, and was met with great eagerness by this group. I was really hoping we could hear that at the recent concerts, instead of the usual war horses. I also would have liked to hear Keith sing his version of Soul Survivor instead of Happy. What about hearing Following the River instead of Wild Horses, which they play at almost every concert.

The Stones are playing well, but we need some variety.

Excellent points. Why not have Taylor play Plundered.

Date: January 4, 2013 03:24

NoCode0680
Mick has a very short attention span. Even though this was the first set of shows since the Exile reissue, that was 2010. Might as well be 1910 to Mick. Mick seems to have two trains of thought. Number one is new stuff, get it out there, play the new stuff, move some records. The other is responsibility to the classics, playing the old songs people want to hear. It's all about "the right now" and "the distant past", the recent past doesn't seem to interest him all that much.

Well, take 1973, the recent past of the last five years was almost all they played. And 1981 - lots of stuff played from 1978 and even a few from 1980.

I think this a his Vegas way of thinking, from 1989 to now. They mostly haven't come out with anything in that whole period that people care to hear, becaseu frankly, they aren't exactly putting out modern classics for people to care about.... Plundered My Soul, in my opinion, is not forgotten because it's not good, but because it was wasted as a tack-on to Exlie's re-release, putting it WAY under the radar for the average music fan to know or care about it, which is a shame. Some goes for a lot of the Some Girls stuff.

I almost DID expect a nod to those tunes. But hey, a proper tour just might gives us those, if they do a cool 2002 type of tour.

Nah....

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 4, 2013 03:50

>What about hearing Following the River instead of Wild Horses, which they play at almost every concert.

No, they don't -- far from it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 4, 2013 04:04

I've seen the Stones 14 times and have heard Wild Horses twice. They do not play it all that often and I would like to hear it more. Plundered My Soul would be great to hear. I love that song but James F Douglas is right the average music fan does not know it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 04:05

It is a wasted opportunity that they didn't have Taylor play on Plundered My Soul in these last shows. Probably due to a few reasons. Firstly, I am not so sure Keith was really into the song. He seemed uninvolved with the entire project, and probably resented Mick taking on so much leadership to complete the project. Secondly, the song isn't that well known. The average person at those shows was there to see the stuff that is more well known.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: January 4, 2013 04:24

Plunderd my Soul, if sung like the studio version, would shred Mick's (and my) voice to hell. If only done once, OK, but on a repetitive basis, that's a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 4, 2013 04:52

slew
I've seen the Stones 14 times and have heard Wild Horses twice. They do not play it all that often and I would like to hear it more. Plundered My Soul would be great to hear. I love that song but James F Douglas is right the average music fan does not know it.

Well, 14 times is quite a few but actually "Wild Horses" has been performed alot.....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 05:36

I thought of that too - if they would even do PMS.
IMO, it was the best thing they've done since Some Girls.
But maybe it had its place on the Exile reissue and not really seen as a 'new' release. But still, missed an opportunity.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 4, 2013 05:36

I know it has been played a fair amount but it is not warhorse status

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 4, 2013 05:39

Short answer... the song just isn't that good. After you've heard the chorus once, the song is over.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2013 05:57

The reason that Keith doesn't sing his "version" of Soul Survivor is that it wasn't really a version. It was a guide vocal with unfinished lyrics.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2013 06:57

wyman and taylor are the best part of PMS.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 4, 2013 07:07

As I said on another thread, I want to hear post-60's songs for a change. I'm bored with the 60's.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 07:27

I love the song and in my pipe dream I was really hoping they'd play it live with Taylor, although I obviously wasn't holding my breath. You have to say that after all those years, decades even, that its pretty amazing the two Mick's could get together again and put out a song that good. It makes you wonder what else they could have done together over all that time.

Five years ago, if I said Mick Taylor would work with Mick Jagger to put out a Stones song, people would have thought I was crazy. At that point, when the two Mick's did work together again on Plundered My Soul, I knew Taylor playing live with the the Stones wasn't so impossible anymore. At that point, I thought it became a real possibility... and I finally did get to see Mick Taylor play live with the Stones with my own eyes and ears in Newark... incredible.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 4, 2013 08:45

slew

I think it depends on which tours you've seen them on and as to which country you're in to an extent. I've seen the Stones 6 times and they've played Wild Horses at 3 of those shows.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 4, 2013 08:48

The point is they do *not* play it "at almost every concert" as was asserted.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 4, 2013 13:41

i would have liked to hear this one live with taylor

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2013 14:25

flacnvinyl
Short answer... the song just isn't that good. After you've heard the chorus once, the song is over.

my faith in you is restored. drake speaks the truth that many of you are unwilling or unable to come to terms with....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:08

StonesTod
flacnvinyl

my faith in you is restored. drake speaks the truth that many of you are unwilling or unable to come to terms with....

And yet songs like Miss You or either of the new Grrr tracks make the set? zzzzzz Though at least during Miss You (and Shattered, and Satisfaction) the audience can easily go for a restroom and beer break. I have far more interest in hearing Plundered My Soul than any of those songs. Hell, I have for more interest in hearing them play just about anything, even a cover, than those songs live.

Date: January 4, 2013 16:09

The song is a light-weighter, compared with all the great songs they have to choose from...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:15

There's a good reason why PMS remained unreleased (officially anyway) for 40 odd years.

Agree - would love to hear them do Soul Survivor, although I suspect it might have been a little too tricky to pull off live. Has it ever even been rehearsed?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:58

Boring track, no need to play it live ... except they add a bridge eventually.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2013 17:01

RobertJohnson
Boring track, no need to play it live ... except they add a bridge eventually.

excellent point. a rock song without a bridge is like a day without sunshine. or is it orange juice? well, it's something.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 4, 2013 18:09

I'd rather hear "Plundered" than "Doom".

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home