Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Who on IORR was at the earliest Stones Gig?
Posted by: stoneskris ()
Date: January 2, 2013 18:16

Cleveland Stadium July 1, 1978 Cleveland, Ohio.

Saw them exactly one week later again in Chicago at Soldier Field.

Kris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 18:17 by stoneskris.

Re: Who on IORR was at the earliest Stones Gig?
Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: January 2, 2013 18:25

mickschix
Was that 1966, RockinBud? Were you at that Dean Martin show? I was never a fan of Dean's, especially after he made fun of them!

Hi Mickschix, I was not at the Dean Martin show but saw it on tv, I believe it was 1964 from LA, their first tv appearance in US..I saw our band 3x in 1965 and in 1966. I was also at 2 Ed Sullivan shows for Paint It Black & Lets Spend some Time Together...I also know Marilou..
HNY
RB

Posted by: Masseolle51 ()
Date: January 2, 2013 19:21

I was at the gig in Malmö in 1965! A lot of noise and I was 13! Don´t remember much though! Next one was in Malmö as well and that concert always brings a tear to my eye because it was that great. Next was Brondbyhallen in Copenhagen in 1973 and that is still the best I have ever seen by any band!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 2, 2013 21:06

My first was 1966 in Detroit.
Sat on Brian's side of the stage.
Wish I could find some pix or audios of that show.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: January 2, 2013 23:25

1969. Auburn Alabama. Drove up from Florida with a few friends. I was 15 and still remember how cold it was. Stuffed a newspaper in my jacket till we were inside. It was the second show. No recording has surfaced. Changed my life. Nothing was the same after.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 3, 2013 04:03

Yes, Masseolle 51, The Malmo concert in 1970 was fabulous!
And to think it was the first show of the tour. The band thought of it as a "warm-up." Warm...turned out to be HOT!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 3, 2013 04:13

Big Al
King Bee - Stewed & Keefed on 'Rocks Off'' saw them on their second British Tour at the Rochester Odeon in 1963.

THAT is very cool!

My first- Cleveland, June 14th, 1975 (w/ J. Geils Band)

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 4, 2013 09:05

deeppurple
1969. Auburn Alabama. Drove up from Florida with a few friends. I was 15 and still remember how cold it was. Stuffed a newspaper in my jacket till we were inside. It was the second show. No recording has surfaced. Changed my life. Nothing was the same after.

Hey I need to speak to you about this gig.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 4, 2013 09:18

PhilipStaniforth
My mum saw them 23rd October 1963 in Nottingham, England.

She saw the Stones by accident as she had actually gone to see the Everly Brothers. Her only recollection is of a scrawny little bloke singing "I want to be your man" which she found quite amusing.

Your mum just beats my dad he saw them on the 26th at the Gaumont Theatre, Bournemouth. He was working at the Gaumont at the time and usually would of been called in to work as a stage hand or security like when the Beatles played there. But he booked the day off when he knew the Stones were coming so he could go and see them. Apparently the amps blew during one of the opening acts (not sure who) and they had to borrow the Stones equipment to finish their set.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:56

with sssoul
Since James Phelge has started posting here, I reckon he's got this "title" pretty well cornered.
Maybe someone else does too, though?

It may well be me unless there is someone else I may even know. Eric Clapton would also probably have been there too.

Others I saw there were, Ginger Baker, Alexis, Graham Bond, Cyril. Paul Jones etc..

Pity there were no pix as far as I know...

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:55

JamesPhelge00
with sssoul
Since James Phelge has started posting here, I reckon he's got this "title" pretty well cornered.

It may well be me unless there is someone else I may even know. Eric Clapton would also probably have been there too.

Others I saw there were, Ginger Baker, Alexis, Graham Bond, Cyril. Paul Jones etc..

How long were those early shows you saw? About how many songs?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 02:26

JamesPhelge00
with sssoul

At the risk of extreme embarrassment I just wanted to say how cool that is and thank you for sharing Mr. Phelge!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 12, 2013 03:44

1973 Western Springs - i took heaps of photos (no restrictions in those days. I had a cassette recording too)

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: January 12, 2013 11:14

I know a couple of friends that saw them at Tamworth assembly rooms. Gotta be 63. Ill try and find the data because they was in the local paper for getting banned from "the old stone cross pub"....jagger got caught pissing up the corner by the pool table!. It was last years paper and the landlord declared he was welcome back lol

***it was dec 2nd 63

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 11:20 by DoughboyUK.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 12, 2013 11:31

midimannz

1973 Western Springs - i took heaps of photos (no restrictions in those days. I had a cassette recording too)
Great picture midimannz!

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: January 12, 2013 12:31

3rd August 2006 in Stuttgart >grinning smiley<

I was 12 years old that time. And as you can probably guess I'm a bit disappointed that I was not born much much earlier...

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 12, 2013 14:57

Saw Little Boy BLue and the Blue Boys in 1961

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 12, 2013 15:03

talkcheap

In their living room?

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 12, 2013 15:22

His Majesty
talkcheap

In their living room?

at art school

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 15:24 by talkcheap.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 12, 2013 15:31

talkcheap
His Majesty
talkcheap

In their living room?

at art school

Sure yah did. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Asger ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:28

The first for me was in Aarhus, Denmark, in september 1970.
1973 was the next Stones concert here in my hometown Aarhus. Cameras were not allowed, but i smuggled mine into the show - hiding the camera in my girlfriends clothes - my photos can be seen here:

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:39

Asger
The first for me was in Aarhus, Denmark, in september 1970.
1973 was the next Stones concert here in my hometown Aarhus. Cameras were not allowed, but i smuggled mine into the show - hiding the camera in my girlfriends clothes - my photos can be seen here:

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Excellent pics !

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 12, 2013 19:24

May 7th, 1965 in Clearwater, Florida...later that night Keith woke up and recorded the riff to Satisfaction into his tape recorder...the rest was history!smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 12, 2013 19:56

Mr.D
May 7th, 1965 in Clearwater, Florida...later that night Keith woke up and recorded the riff to Satisfaction into his tape recorder...the rest was history!smiling smiley

Real cool - never knew you saw them that early on

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my ex-neighbour, he was telling about all the fun he had while working on a ship in the 60s, and mentioned that he was in a hooker-house in Honolulu, July 1966, then hearing that Rolling Stones were performing that day, so he went off to the concert. Funnily I could borrow him the CD of the very same concert. Guess that's a better re-visit for him than being re-introduced to one of the hawaiian hookers.....now in their 60s, I'd guess

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 12, 2013 21:02

treaclefingers
JamesPhelge00
with sssoul

At the risk of extreme embarrassment I just wanted to say how cool that is and thank you for sharing Mr. Phelge!

I second that emotion - too cool. smoking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: January 12, 2013 21:27

November 1963 Cavern Club Liverpool but just about managed to see them start before I had to dash to catch last bus home.
Much better experience April 1964 concert at Royalty Theatre Chester then September 1964 at the ABC Chester.
So glad it's lasted so well & so long.

Date: January 12, 2013 23:02

stonesmog
November 1963 Cavern Club Liverpool but just about managed to see them start before I had to dash to catch last bus home.
Much better experience April 1964 concert at Royalty Theatre Chester then September 1964 at the ABC Chester.
So glad it's lasted so well & so long.

Cool.

Congratulations !

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 12, 2013 23:10

whiskey saw them in 1963 if I am not mistaken .....Hey whiskey ,am I right ?

Posted by: Ligger ()
Date: January 19, 2013 01:37

It was the final show of their first American tour.
I was almost twelve in 1964 when I snuck into Carnegie Hall between sets. I found a ticket stub on the floor and then, as people started coming in for the second performance, I sat down in an empty mid orchestra section seat as the theater filled. After a while a teenage girl asked me what I was doing in HER seat. I showed her my stub and she said that she didn't know how I had gotten that, but I could share HER seat if I wanted! I actually sat on her lap for the entire event! How lucky was I.

I remember a different girl rushing onstage and grabbing Keith before a cop removed her. Then Keith pointing at the girl and indicating that she had stolen his harmonica from the inside pocket of his blazer. She was immediately tackled by another cop and the instrument was retrieved. I guess Keith used the harmonica for tuning his guitar, because I've never seen him play one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-19 01:39 by Ligger.

Date: January 19, 2013 01:41

Ligger
It was the final show of their first American tour.
I was almost twelve in 1964 when I snuck into Carnegie Hall between sets. I found a ticket stub on the floor and then, as people started coming in for the second performance, I sat down in an empty mid orchestra section seat as the theater filled. After a while a teenage girl asked me what I was doing in HER seat. I showed her my stub and she said that she didn't know how I had gotten that, but I could share HER seat if I wanted! I actually sat on her lap for the entire event! How lucky was I.

I remember a different girl rushing onstage and grabbing Keith before a cop removed her. Then Keith pointing at the girl and indicating that she had stolen his harmonica from the inside pocket of his blazer. She was immediately tackled by another cop and the instrument was retrieved. I guess Keith used the harmonica for tuning his guitar, because I've never seen him play one.

Cool story !

Thanks !

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home