Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Miss Amanda Jones
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 03:32

another underrated piece of stones work from an underrated era.

this song could have been a classic as many others could have been.

would have fitted in well in exile or goats head soup.

just needed spruced up a bit.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 30, 2012 04:49

I'd take Miss Amanda Jones over I Wanna Be Your Man anyday.

Would like to hear Ronnie Wood on an updated tour version.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 30, 2012 20:49

Oops, double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 20:50 by His Majesty.

Date: December 30, 2012 20:50

mitchmitchell
I had never heard of her before, frankly.

Photoshopped photo. Brian pic from a visit to airport to meet Anita in late 1966, Amanda pic from 70's or 80's. grinning smiley

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:50

Could someone please post the guitar tabs of the intro?

Posted by: snibbs1234 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 23:08

My Number 2 fav Stones number of all time.
Truly magnificent.

Date: December 31, 2012 02:24

thabo
NICOS
thabo
Always thought that this song was THE perfect song fitting for a live performance during the 1969 US tour, with the new line-up and new sound with the strong guitar work of Taylor and Keith I could easily imaging it having a heavy rocking live version on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out". Somehow the Stones never looked back at "Between the Buttons" and thus missed the obvious potential of this song for the 1969 US tour. It would have rocked the house (Madison Square Garden) without any doubt.

I don´t think the Stones consider this UK BtB as one of their highlights

There is no doubt about that, Mick called the album rubbish. And that is exactly my point. Because the Stones never looked back at that album (atleast that was the case in the late 60's and the 70's) they missed the obvious potential of "Miss Amanda Jones" being a great rocker for the new guitar duo Richards / Mick Taylor to put their teeth in, it would have been THE perfect song for this new line-up and sound in the 1969 US tour. But because of this attitude (as you point out) they had succesfully pushed the whole album out of their conscious memory. Like the proverb says "Be carefull not to through away the baby with the bathwater".

Sadly, I am not sure Jagger is a good judge of what good music is anymore. I mean if you have listened to their recent output, he thinks that is good?

I would agree Cool Calm and Collected is rubbish. But there are some gems there too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-31 02:26 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 31, 2012 02:29

>Sadly, I am not sure Jagger is a good judge of what good music is anymore.

Jagger was dissing BUTTONS back in the 60s.

As for Amanda Lear, she was the cover girl for Roxy Music's FOR YOUR PLEASURE.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:52

Captures the dizzy 60s perfectly - but it's very much of its time and must already have seemed dated to the band by the time of the 1969 tour. I love it.

By the way, I think she might be "the Hon. Amanda Jones" in the first line of the lyric - Honourable was the formal title for those silly upper-class debutantes who were meant to spend their brief social lives in an endless round of parties and "balls and dinners and shows" in order to find a suitable marriage as quickly as possible. There was indeed a lot of money invested in them - the Stones must have met quite a few, and the song's a good portrait.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: December 31, 2012 13:36

Redhotcarpet
"Hey girl, with your nonsense nose all pointing right down at the floor
Hey girl, your suspender shows and the girl behind you looks a bit unsure

Round and round she goes, the world of Amanda Jones
I said round and round and round and round
The balls and the dinners and show
The little girl, she just wanders about
‘Til it's time for her coming out, miss Amanda Jones"

Could very well be about Amanda Lear, alleged transsexual.

Amanda Lear was 15 when this came out. So that seems doubtful.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 31, 2012 14:38

Keiths guitar/amp tone on Miss Amanda Jones sounds very much like it does on IORR, maybe the same amp or the same sort of amp?

Miss Amanda Jones is ok, not a classic.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 31, 2012 15:28

Promoman
Redhotcarpet
"Hey girl, with your nonsense nose all pointing right down at the floor
Hey girl, your suspender shows and the girl behind you looks a bit unsure

Round and round she goes, the world of Amanda Jones
I said round and round and round and round
The balls and the dinners and show
The little girl, she just wanders about
‘Til it's time for her coming out, miss Amanda Jones"

Could very well be about Amanda Lear, alleged transsexual.

Amanda Lear was 15 when this came out. So that seems doubtful.

If she was from 1950 she would be 17 in 1967..........................

Wiki..........
Amanda Lear (real name Amanda Tapp,[2] born 18 June 1939[3] 18 November 1939 or 1946, in British Hong Kong,[1][2][4][5] or 1950 in Saigon[6]) is a French singer, lyricist, composer, painter, TV presenter, actress and novelist.

Lear began her career as a fashion model in the mid-1960s and was also a muse of the Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dalí. She first came into the public eye as the cover model for Roxy Music's album For Your Pleasure in 1973. From the mid-1970s to the early 1980s, she was a million-album-selling Disco queen, mainly in Continental Europe and Scandinavia. Her hits included "Queen of Chinatown", "Blood and Honey", "Follow Me", "Enigma (Give a Bit of Mmh to Me)" and "Fashion Pack".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-31 18:28 by NICOS.

Date: December 31, 2012 18:14

howled
Keiths guitar/amp tone on Miss Amanda Jones sounds very much like it does on IORR, maybe the same amp or the same sort of amp?

It's probably a Vox UL-760 on Miss Amanda Jones, not the case for IORR.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 1, 2013 02:20

Dont mean to step on anyones toes here but Between The Buttons has always been a mostly forgettable album by the band and it just never hit the mark the way other early Stones records did. Aftermath I thought was great! And even Flowers has more resononce in it for me personaly. Maybe just a personal opinion but this record was kind of filler at the time that it came out and it's just great that it was soon to be followed by Beggers and the rest of the stuff thats made the band so great. If the Brian Jones era had to end I'm just glad they managed to step it up a notch in the M.Taylor era. It all could have ended so long ago with all the drama these guys went through back in the early days. It didnt though and we've all benefitted from how the band bounced back after the death Of Mr. Jones.

Date: January 1, 2013 07:07

His Majesty
howled

I've never heard Miss Amanda Jones before and what stood out was the clipping distortion on Keith's amp and it sounds transistor like to me and the IORR amp sounds the same sort of way to me, I might be wrong of course.

Date: January 1, 2013 13:37

Someone said Miss Amanda Jones is not a classic. It is not a classic only because the Stones didn't play it to death like a lot of their other "classics", like It's Only Rock and Roll and Have you Seen your Mother Baby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 13:37 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 1, 2013 14:01

howled
His Majesty
howled

I've never heard Miss Amanda Jones before and what stood out was the clipping distortion on Keith's amp and it sounds transistor like to me and the IORR amp sounds the same sort of way to me, I might be wrong of course.

The simularity might be that an EMS Synthi Hi-Fli processor was used on many of the guitar sounds on IORR.

Mathijs

Date: January 1, 2013 15:09

mitchmitchell
Someone said Miss Amanda Jones is not a classic. It is not a classic only because the Stones didn't play it to death like a lot of their other "classics", like It's Only Rock and Roll and Have you Seen your Mother Baby.

Maybe, because the Stones might not have thought much of it.

Date: January 1, 2013 15:13

Mathijs
howled
His Majesty
howled

The simularity might be that an EMS Synthi Hi-Fli processor was used on many of the guitar sounds on IORR.

Mathijs

It's hard to know.

Keith doesn't even remember.

I just think that Amanda and IORR have a certain solid state sort of thing to them as opposed to a straight into a Fender tube amp thing for instance.

I can believe that Brown Sugar is a Fender tube amp but Amanda and IORR sound different to me.

This solid state mid 70s Ampeg puts out a pretty good tone but also has that transistor thing in it's tone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 15:15 by howled.

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: January 1, 2013 15:20

Could someone please post the guitar tabs of the intro? Is Keith playing some open notes?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 2, 2013 11:42

rob51
Dont mean to step on anyones toes here but Between The Buttons has always been a mostly forgettable album by the band and it just never hit the mark the way other early Stones records did. Aftermath I thought was great!

Soory, but I always prefered the UK version over AFTERMATH although there are some weaker songs on both albums. I know I am critizising the Holy Grail for some fans but AFTERMATH just does not impress me that much. There's more fantasy in the arrangements on BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, and even numbers like Cool, calm and collected to me are breaking new ground nevertheless, it is good that they limited themselves to one song in that style). Perhaps I am not taking things too seriously...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 2, 2013 13:11

howled
Mathijs
howled
His Majesty
howled

Mathijs

It's hard to know.

Keith doesn't even remember.

I just think that Amanda and IORR have a certain solid state sort of thing to them as opposed to a straight into a Fender tube amp thing for instance.

I can believe that Brown Sugar is a Fender tube amp but Amanda and IORR sound different to me.

This solid state mid 70s Ampeg puts out a pretty good tone but also has that transistor thing in it's tone.

That is what I mean: the Hi-Fly guitar effects processor is a solid state processor, with fuzz and drive sounds comparable to the fuzz sound of a Vox Supreme for example. Basically, all solid state processors of the day have similarities (as well as many differences) in their sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: January 2, 2013 19:36

Between The Buttons, the bands most Britishy pop album. Interesting and oddly enjoyable, but saved by Connection and a little Berryish Amanda.

Date: January 2, 2013 20:53

howled
His Majesty
howled

Similar-ish sounds achieved via different means. cool smiley

Vox took back the UL-760's(which have solid state pre amp and valve power section) they gave to the stones when they supplied them with the newest(for the time) all solid state Conquerors etc circa March 1967.

smileys with beer

Date: January 3, 2013 00:39

As someone noted, the Stones got into the Satanic Majesties=Maharishi thing and turned their back on Amanda Jones and a lot of their other good songs.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home