Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Shines!
Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:39

I am totally thrilled for Mick and think it's about time the world is shown exactly how talented he really is, even apart from the Stones! Not that I ever want to see him split from the band but it is time for Mick to shine all on his own! I hope he basks in the glory for a good long time! And I agree totally with RANK OUTSIDER in his estimation of Keith! Eat your heart out, Keith and SHUT UP indeed! Unless he has something gracious to say, I do hope for once he shows some class and knows enough to stiffle his jealousy of Mick!

mickschix

Re: Mick Shines!
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:44

I don't think so much that Keith is jealous of Mick. I think that he feels that Mick should just stop making what he regards as utter shit. That's, of course, a valid opinion. But I don't understand why he has to give these outbursts of anger all the time. The only thing Keith is adding by doing that is negative vibes. And that's the last thing we need isn't it?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:46

for the moment, Keith did not say anything !
don't you think that the hatchet is buried ?.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:50

Maybe it is. I really hope so. By the way: I thought of this thing about Keef saying that he wouldn't go on stage with a guy in an old royal cloak. I guess he'll bite the sour apple when the new tour starts huh?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 17, 2005 21:13

I personally think that Mick can't shine without Keith and vice versa.
Micks music taste is way to poppy for me and the results are the best when he writes with Keith who is more into basic music (country, blues).

Mick did never have great success with his solo music (and so didn't Keith), but that's probably because nobody wants a Rock n'Roll god to sound like a pop band.
And sorry, but sometimes I feel that Micks taste for music is very strange.

Keith is probably not more succesful with his solo projects, but his music is way better and if it is true or not - his music seems more honest to me!

And Keith's criticism is really appropriate sometimes, Mick always tries to please everybody, be nice, be modern... he sometimes needs someone to get him back to reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-17 21:14 by KeithRichards.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 17, 2005 21:16

Yeah- I liked Keith's stance about telling the "establishment" to shove the
"SIR appointments" - he know's where he comes from and Jagger kisses too many
ASSES - MLC

Date: January 17, 2005 23:10

Mick is really NOT an ass-kisser but he likes to mingle with all classes and does it with ease, which, I'm sure pisses Keith off! No denying it,Keith can't mix with the celebrities as easily as Mick does because Mick has cultivated relationships in these circles. Keith likes to say, " Oh, it's not important to me." I think it's not true! That's where the sour grapes come in. Yes, Mick loves Keith unconditionally and I bet vice versa so no REAL harm done. Mick is always the bigger person though who looks the other way when Keith gets nasty.

Date: January 18, 2005 00:19

Debra, over the years, Jagger was always the one who tried to stay in the
"spot-light"! starting in the 60's with Hendrix & the Beatles releasing:
Sgr. Peppers - Jagger drove the Stones music to be "psychedelic" when Brian
wanted it to stay "Blues-Based". Jagger's excuse was "we will fade away if we don't stay current or with the fad"... Then he realised that they needed a kick-ass lead guitarist to compete in the late 60's / 70's and grabbed Taylor.
Then Ronnie joined and here came "Disco" - Miss You... get the picture
whatever's gonna keep Mick "current" or in the spotlight and feed his ego
of having the Girls (and boys) love & fall all over him!!!

Keith just want's to play his music - MLC

Date: January 18, 2005 02:02

MCD, I DETECT SOME CYNICISM HERE AND I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL OF YOUR ASSESSMENT OF MICK CHASING TRENDS! MICK STARTS TRENDS! MICK IS ALWAYS TRYING TO STAY CUTTING EDGE BUT ISN'T THAT OK??????? Keith doesn't want to sell records! HOGWASH! REALLY B.S. KEITH WANTS FAME AS MUCH AS MICK, BELIEVE IT! KEITH JUST ISN'T HONEST ABOUT IT!MIck wants to create good material AND he wants acceptance, so what? THat is exactly what has kept the STONES on TOP! Mick is really the reason the Stones have continued for this long, so be thankful to Mick.

Date: January 18, 2005 02:02

MCD, I DETECT SOME CYNICISM HERE AND I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL OF YOUR ASSESSMENT OF MICK CHASING TRENDS! MICK STARTS TRENDS! MICK IS ALWAYS TRYING TO STAY CUTTING EDGE BUT ISN'T THAT OK??????? Keith doesn't want to sell records! HOGWASH! REALLY B.S. KEITH WANTS FAME AS MUCH AS MICK, BELIEVE IT! KEITH JUST ISN'T HONEST ABOUT IT!MIck wants to create good material AND he wants acceptance, so what? THat is exactly what has kept the STONES on TOP! Mick is really the reason the Stones have continued for this long, so be thankful to Mick.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 18, 2005 06:11

You'd have to look real close at The Stones albums in recent times to find any song you could seriously think "shine" !
The Stones' lyric writing has been pathetic for nearly 2 decades.....no shine anymore.

There was a time when Mick & Keith needed one another to create great songs, these days Mick does a fantastic job on his own, I doubt he needs Keith anymore.

Put it simply, these days : no Mick - no Stones !

Esky

Date: January 18, 2005 18:07

Debra,

No Cynicism, just calling a spade a spade. I've been a Stones fan from the begining, I liked them over the Beatles in the 60's. Thought their Psy. stuff
Satanic Mag.,etc. was weak at the time, but when they got back to what made them,
Beggers, Let it Bleed (Blues-based) they got back on track. Then they picked up
Mick Taylor and became the "Worlds Greatest R&R band from 69 - thru 75. I saw
them in 75 with Ronnie, good show, not great - and haven't seen them live since.

Do like some of their newer material, Steel Wheels has some good stuff. But to me, Keith is more honest, what you see is what you get, Jagger has turned into
what he rebelled against in the early years... plus his "tude" needs adjusting
he still won't forgive Taylor for leaving and has screwed him over the years,
why do you think Taylor never get invited to these all-star jam's for benefits.
nobody want's to "cross" Jagger by inviting Taylor... MLC

Date: January 18, 2005 18:07

Debra,

No Cynicism, just calling a spade a spade. I've been a Stones fan from the begining, I liked them over the Beatles in the 60's. Thought their Psy. stuff
Satanic Mag.,etc. was weak at the time, but when they got back to what made them,
Beggers, Let it Bleed (Blues-based) they got back on track. Then they picked up
Mick Taylor and became the "Worlds Greatest R&R band from 69 - thru 75. I saw
them in 75 with Ronnie, good show, not great - and haven't seen them live since.

Do like some of their newer material, Steel Wheels has some good stuff. But to me, Keith is more honest, what you see is what you get, Jagger has turned into
what he rebelled against in the early years... plus his "tude" needs adjusting
he still won't forgive Taylor for leaving and has screwed him over the years,
why do you think Taylor never get invited to these all-star jam's for benefits.
nobody want's to "cross" Jagger by inviting Taylor... MLC

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 18, 2005 19:57

I dont think Brian was a blues purist in '67, adding mellotron (more effectively than anyone else) on much of Satanic & wanting to integrate G'naoua & mejdoub & jajouka rhythms to the RS' work. Aside from the long 'see what happens' spontaneous improv at end of side 1, that album is typical classic stones songs/album imo.

Date: January 18, 2005 22:14

John - it's documented - Brian fought like hell not to follow Jagger/Richards
as they tried to follow the acid induced music, aka - Purple Haze, Sgt. Peppers,
etc. he was overruled.. he contributed what he could as Keith & Mick wrote
whatever. Remember seeing a Jagger interview when he basically said this and
the interviewer relayed Brian's point of view...

The thing about Brian was he could pick up any instrument and in no time "play it" that other stuff about the jajouka rhythms and such, I vaguely remember
hearing that Mick & Keith were not into that "stuff" and it didn't get included

Brian had to wait and include it on his solo project - MLC

Date: January 19, 2005 01:09

That's not the realistic point of view on Brian; Brian was great for about 3 years when he was not a junkie. During Banquet he was a lost soul, as during Circus.If you look at his eyes, he is just not there. Jean Luc Goddard's Sympathy For The Devil DVD is the most telling evidence; Brian was sitting in a trance in a corner, not even functional. But back to Mick, maybe his reasons for being pissed at Taylor are justified! I recall that he just up and quit right before the 1975 Tour rehearals were about to start! I think I'd be pretty pissed off too! I admit, I prefer Taylor to Woodie by alot! No comparison! Taylor is an exceptionally gifted guitar player with instincts like I've seen in few guitar players( I play slide guitar and blues guitar). I have seen every tour since 1972 and I think 1975 was a great tour! I didn't love the 1978 Tour, Some Girls. Anyway, I agree with Esky; Mick can write a very nice song all on his own and I do believe Keith needs Mick in many ways....more than Mick needs Keith. Just my opinion.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 19, 2005 04:38

Dear Debra et all.,

I read in a book by Stephen Davis on the Stones (old Gods Almost Dead) that Brian really liked listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival the last months before he past away. How would that effected The Stones, supposed he got ver his problems like keith did, a decade later...

Mr Edward

Date: January 20, 2005 01:00

I read that book too, Mr Edward, and that was interesting; hard to guess what musical direction Brian would have taken. One thing is for sure,he felt terrible about being tossed out of what he considered HIS band! He covered his hurt by saying he was forming a new band and wanted out of the band anyway because he no longer liked the music the Stones were making! HOGWASH! Brian was a cruel, women-beating, tiny man with alot of talent that he totally wasted and that is a SIN! He had a Napoleon complex for sure! I never was much of a Brian fan at all! He was a trainwreck waiting to happen!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 20, 2005 01:44

You're right. Never liked Brian much, but admired his musical skills. But overall Brian was just bad news. Too was to weak to manage the attention, the drugs, etc. Wonder what he would say if saw The Stones nowadays...
Did like the story that Jones used to play Popeye the sailorman when the Stones played Satisfaction live, because he hated the song.

Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: January 20, 2005 01:46

Mick Jagger shines these days just as good as Justin Timberlake...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home