Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can you hear Darryl in the PPV mix ?
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 18, 2012 14:41

Alberto Rodriguez

Don't know for you, but finaly after all these years, it's the first time that I can hear his bass playin' so well, and I should say that he did a great job thumbs up

Getty

Never too late ...winking smiley

HMN

Re: Can you hear Darryl in the PPV mix ?
Date: December 18, 2012 14:59

It's probably the show with Darryl the highest in the mix I've ever heard thumbs up

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 18, 2012 15:33

Me too I found that it was the first time I actually heard the bass, more so during the PPV than in Brooklyn (where maybe the acoustics in my cheap seat high up were not perfect).

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 18, 2012 15:38

yes

Darryl gives the music richness and warmth, and he never overplays. supportive well chosen phrasing throughout.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 16:08

Yes, in fact the group I was with, all Stones fans were really commenting on his great funky bass line on Sympathy for the Devil. He played wonderfully on Saturday. As did Chuck! Ok let the grenades start flying.

Date: December 18, 2012 16:13

duke richardson
yes

Darryl gives the music richness and warmth, and he never overplays. supportive well chosen phrasing throughout.

Did you see the show?

He was overplaying A LOT. However, I liked some of the overplaying thumbs up

Date: December 18, 2012 16:27

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
yes

Did you see the show?

i saw the PPV still I think he has a way of playing that combines his style with a restrained, no nonsense approach for the Stones..and what he played on Sympathy was pretty much exactly what Keith played on the original..

his way of setting up a transition to the bridge of a song is what I like to listen for in his playing.

Date: December 18, 2012 16:47

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
yes

Did you see the show?

i saw the PPV still I think he has a way of playing that combines his style with a restrained, no nonsense approach for the Stones..and what he played on Sympathy was pretty much exactly what Keith played on the original..

his way of setting up a transition to the bridge of a song is what I like to listen for in his playing.

Very often in triple speed, but still tastefil, imo. However, it can be too much. It didn't suit Paint It Black very good, methinks...

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:03

Mr. Jones is a fine bass player. He was Charlie pick. Been playing with the Rusted Wreck almost 20 years, so that says something. He sounded great. It is hard to step into the shoes of Rolling Stone. Just ask Ronnie Wood.

Date: December 18, 2012 17:03

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
yes

Did you see the show?

Very often in triple speed, but still tastefil, imo. However, it can be too much. It didn't suit Paint It Black very good, methinks...

yeah I heard that too..Darryl plays a lot of those flurries...but he drops them in where they add to the music..

still like it..most everybody loves this ppv show, man I'm glad they have come on so strong, at this stage of such a long career

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:14

It probably has a lot to do with Darryls own sound. He was using a Precision bass of some kind, and that has much more middle tone than many other bassguitars. Not always very good on it's own but it very often sounds faboulus in a mix within a typical classic rock setting.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:14

Briefly discussed it on page 19 on the NJ thread [IORR NJ p19]. He came through very clear but he plays too fast and light. No "thump" in his playing.

If Charlie picked him that is probably why. He is better suited for jazz and not for rock.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:21

Yes, first time I've ever heard him so well...I suppose the WWE chief sound engineer overruled whatever the Stones' chief sound engineer (who is it these days BTW ?) has/have done since 1981, the last time you could really hear the bass I'd say.

Sorry for thinking during all these years that Darryl was just padding the sound in the background.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:34

I like Darryl's current playing with the Stones a lot. He has his own distinct style, that happens to be very different from Bill's. Understandably many can't see him in Bill's role (with him it IS a completely different band). Yet, he's walked a long way since the VL tour: by now his contribution is blended perfectly with the rest of the band and is a great addition to the music. At least, I find it to be so.

C

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:41

At the beginning of the show it seemed like Darryl and Chuck were the highest in the mix (not higher than the vocals, but highest of the instruments). But as the show went on either my ears adjusted or the mix got better, but I could still hear Darryl very well.

I don't think I've ever really paid all that much attention to his playing before. In my eyes his job has always been to just play bass lines that aren't necessarily good, just good enough to fill out their sound. I never had any doubt that he was good/great bass player, if he weren't then the Stones wouldn't have hired him, but I never saw his role as being that of a great bass player. They would let him off the chain from time to time, but for the most part he's supposed to be an anchor.

Having said all that, he sounded very good. I'd still rather hear Bill in the 60's or 70's, but over the years I've become a little attached to Darryl, as he was the bass player at my first show (never seen Bill play), so it was cool to hear him dropping the thunder Saturday night.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:54

He sure was way up in the feed I watched. The guitars were oddly low.

I was particulary impressed with his work on Honky Tonk Women & Jumping Jack Flash.

Date: December 18, 2012 18:02

No.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:03

I'm glad you enjoyed him. And yes, he makes it a different band. That's all I'm going to say.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:38

Darryl's bass was loud and clear in the mix. I thought he played a blinder. Held Sympathy together brilliantly throughout. Personally I don't mind some of the fancy licks as long as the guitars can still breathe.

On the other hand, from my seat at the O2 last month you couldn't hear the bass properly at all, neither Darryl nor Bill. Shame, as the rest of the sound was excellent (and way better than 2007). In my experience it's a rubbish hall for sound at the best of times so I was pretty glad I could hear everything else properly to be honest (for that price..!)

What was the bass sound like in Paris, Gotdablouse?

I agree with NoCOde, actually I thought Chuck and Darryl were probably a bit too loud at first in the PPV but they got that right after a bit.

Date: December 18, 2012 18:47

You mean at the Trabendo? It's a bit hard to say as it was deafeningly loud over there and other than his solo in Miss You I don't particularly remember his playing.

At the public rehearsal he was also very low (while Keith was very loud, even worryingly loud for a soft song like No Expectations but he nailed it perfectly) and pretty much lost in the mix like at the O2 really. That PPV mix is really a good surprise, I hope that they keep it for the next show.

I guess the question is whether the mix was the same in the arena ?

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:00

Re Paris: I wondered if the definition might have been better in a small room. (Also I am insanely jealous of anyone who was there!smiling smiley I've always been curious to know what the Stones on-stage sound is like. Seems it's nothing but Keith!)

At the O2 the Miss You break was the only bit of bass playing I could say I heard clearly.

It would be interesting to hear if the bass was actually cutting through in the auditorium in Newark. More likely it was just good in the mix for the tv.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:14

The Stones has always when playing live had the bass low in the mix. But on ppv I could hear Darryl's bass fine. When Bill played on HTW and IORR in London I could not hear the bass at all. The killer bass line you can hear on JJF on the record you never hear live. (It's Keith that plays the bass on the record).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:19

How about Chuck? I thought he was mixed rather low. Heard Darryl loud and clear though. peace

Date: December 18, 2012 19:23

Slim Harpo
Re Paris: I wondered if the definition might have been better in a small room. (Also I am insanely jealous of anyone who was there!smiling smiley I've always been curious to know what the Stones on-stage sound is like. Seems it's nothing but Keith!)

So yes at the rehearsals the sound was really very well defined especially compared to the Trabendo, but the O2 was really good too, it was an excellent surprise. Keith was LOUD though at the rehearsal, when we arrived you could actually hear his amps roaring, guess they had revved up the overdrive/fuzz for "Live with Me".

That experience was totally unreal, but the sad thing is that it's gone...sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't prefer to have read about it than long for something that will never happen again...well I guess the emotions of that day are "floating around" somewhere and always will.

Back to the PPV Bass, yes we need to hear from someone who was in the Arena on the 15th. It would seem a bit odd that they would have a different mix but maybe WWE got to call the shots on the PPV only.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:49

Well I don't think the bass was very high in the mix, just the guitars were to low. I'm wondering if that was done intentionally just to play it safe for the live PPV. We all know that Keith and Ronnie have their "bad guitar day" from time to time so let Darryl und Chuck kind of carry the sound at the beginning of the show and if it turns out that Keith and Ronnie are doing good put them higher into the mix,

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 19:52 by firebird.

Date: December 18, 2012 21:30

emotionalbarbecue
No.

think you need some help

HMN

Date: December 18, 2012 21:31

firebird
Well I don't think the bass was very high in the mix, just the guitars were to low. I'm wondering if that was done intentionally just to play it safe for the live PPV. We all know that Keith and Ronnie have their "bad guitar day" from time to time so let Darryl und Chuck kind of carry the sound at the beginning of the show and if it turns out that Keith and Ronnie are doing good put them higher into the mix,

That's what I'd thought first, but who knows...confused smiley

HMN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home