Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why many of you dont wanna hear their "Warhorses" at concerts?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:30

in my opinion they should do at least 5-6 of their so called "warhorses" in every concert. I know, I know--we heard satisfaction--brown sugar-JJF-SMU or TD a lot of times. But stadium or Arena shows are totally different. Come on---everybody of you is clapping the hands , when they start with SMU! these are songs, which 85% of the audience would like to hear!!!

By the way--Which stones songs are "Warhorses"? i would say a lot of their recordings.!

you dont wanna hear "paint it, black"--"sympathy for the devil", "Its only rockn roll"-???

I never liked "miss you" very much----but the Stones performed it great in the last concerts.

Another "warhorse" is "Happy" --and so on

---but what can a poor boy do--if Most of their records are "Warhorses"?

Re: Why many of you dont wanna hear their "Warhorses" at concerts?
Date: December 17, 2012 21:42

I was sick of Satisfaction by the end of the summer of 1965. Never liked HTW or Brown Sugar. I am now sick of Sympathy and Miss You, but always want to hear Jumpin Jack Flash and Midnight Rambler.

The reality is that the warhorses are never going away as long as they continue doing shows. Maybe when they get a little older and slow down we get more rarities, but that might not be for another five years.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:04

I don't mind warhorses at all. I LOVE Tumbling Dice. I'd grown sick of Sympathy but it has been rejuvenated now Keith is back on form and loved it at O2. HTW is always great and JJF wil always be fantastic. The only one I could take or leave are Satisfaction (and it was left out at the O2 show I went to) though even then they've been playing well this tour. MR is not a warhorse (not played often enough on recent tours) and is probably my favourite song to see live. YCAGWYW was just fantastic recently.

So all in all I don't mind the warhorses. I'm more concerned about the guys playing well. However, I do like them to add in a few surprises to make each gig a little unique. Like Out of Control at the recent O2 gig or I Wanna Be Your Man at most of the shows. Add in lesser played stuff like Dead Flowers (which I've never seen live in my 11 Stones gigs) and Monkey Man and I think they should be able to keep the vast majority of punters happy.

People who whine about set lists are rarely the people who were actually at the show. The number of people who can go to every single stones show is very small (lucky people). So they can't taylor the shows to those lucy few. What's more, if you do see the Stones every show, you probably make that decision knowing that there;ll be considerable overlap and don't mind seeing the same stuff again and again.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:08

The number of people who can go to every single stones show is very small (lucky people).

I suspect they are all members here.

What a life.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:09

I can't believe they played all these Rolling Stones songs that the crowd loved!

But seriously - I know what you mean about the warhorses and we all have our list of dream songs we'd like to hear instead from their insanely deep catalog, to warhorses we'd like to see dropped (Start Me Up for me is one I could do without, it's just so predictable - but again, the crowd goes nutty for it).

The consensus seems to be that if it's a warhorse played with conviction and energy, it's ok. Heck - Satisfaction for me Sat. night was the best song of the night - the one where I just kind of got lost in it, ya know - and that's the biggest horse of them all.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:11

sjs12
People who whine about set lists are rarely the people who were actually at the show.

Oh, really ?

I've been to many shows over the years and would love to see them drop several warhorses for B-tracks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:12

I think it's because you don't like to see precious concert time taken up with songs you've heard too many times. SFTD has no emotional impact anymore. At least everyone sings along with HTW. Dead Flowers was mentioned. Even Mick seemed pained to have to sing it the other night. Of course Midnight Rambler and JJF are always welcome, but it's the rarities, or somewhat rarities that give a concert depth. Paint It Black has not always been part of their rotation. Remember what a turn on it was to hear Ruby Tuesday and 2,000 Light Years from home?

Can you imagine how excited you'd be if they came back for the encore and there was a string section on stage and they did Moonlight Mile?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:14

i'm glad it's the warhorse parade. allows me to get drunk, pass out and miss the whole thing without missing anything. i thank the stones from the bottom of my heart.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:17

"War..." sung by a horse.

They just did that on Saturday.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:19

Edith Grove
sjs12
People who whine about set lists are rarely the people who were actually at the show.

Oh, really ?

I've been to many shows over the years and would love to see them drop several warhorses for B-tracks.

You're the exception that proves the rule ;-)

Date: December 17, 2012 22:20

StonesTod
i'm glad it's the warhorse parade. allows me to get drunk, pass out and miss the whole thing without missing anything. i thank the stones from the bottom of my heart.

Not acceptable! They want you to thank them from the middle and the top of your heart as well!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:22

It's not something that is exclusive to the Stones community. Every band I've ever been a big enough fan of to visit a message board for has the same thing. They don't call them "warhorses", but the idea is the same. People who are big enough fans to own every studio and live recording of a band get tired of the standards. Maybe not everybody, or every standard, but when you follow a band you start to see a pattern. And you hear the songs that everybody (as in the general public) wants to hear so much that it's possible to tire of them. Then the hardcore fans start to get a little upset that they keep playing those "played out" songs (which isn't played out to those that don't own every recording or see the band multiple times) and want some surprises. Not always realizing that they are the minority in the crowd, and most people came to hear THOSE songs.

By the way, I'm not judging. Every time I go to a concert for one of my favorite bands I'm hoping for B-Sides, rarities, etc. On the flip side, I've also gone to concerts for bands that I only knew or cared for a couple of songs and was "that guy" who celebrated the "warhorse" being played. It's a dilemma fans of any band face, and I can understand wanting a setlist of all deep album cuts, it's just not very realistic. And I know nobody is really expecting that, but SOME deep album cuts, but I guess the band figures that the hardcore fans will just be happy to be at their show, and it's the casual fans they have to worry about disappointing. But even if they did an all rarities show, they can't please every hardcore fan. People would have wanted this one instead of that one, etc. It's probably just easier to play for the general public, because you can never fully appease your fan base. At least not from any of the bands I've seen.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:22

JumpinJackOLantern
StonesTod

Not acceptable! They want you to thank them from the middle and the top of your heart as well!

maybe they could buy me a drink when i sober up and tell me about the stuff i missed

Date: December 17, 2012 22:27

Can we call them something different?

"Warhorse" is rubbish.

What about "Attack Trousers"?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:30

The problem is the people complaing are the people who have seen them over 30x. Of course you want to mix it up. I have seen them 23 times and I don't like to hear certain songs( i.e. miss you/smu). But I know most of the crowd have not seen them 3-5x every tour. So, I know what to expect and look for things I didn't see last show. I would love to bring my son( 9) to a show( if feasable) but I won't bitch when a "warhorse" is played. Have fun.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:36

sjs12
Edith Grove
sjs12

Oh, really ?

You're the exception that proves the rule ;-)

I think you'll find a lot of exceptions here. :-)

I went to the two Newark shows. Yes, it was great to hear them play everything. I would love the shows more if
they dropped HTW and BS, especially. I'm not that fond of TD either. I think the sing-a-longs detract, too many
of them. Some of the tunes receive a new and varied treatment, and that helps.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 17, 2012 22:43

GravityBoy
Can we call them something different?

"Warhorse" is rubbish.

What about "Attack Trousers"?

in general, i'm in favor of change. but is it change for change's sake? or is there a problem we're trying to address? are we thinking that the same folks who whine and complain about the warhorses will be confused with the change to attack trousers and will find the songs refreshing and revitalized?

and are we really sure these are the trousers we bring with us to attack? i think there may be room for debate here...

Date: December 17, 2012 22:48

I don't really know.

But after thinking long and hard... I think it should be one word.

Attacktrousers.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:50

GravityBoy
I don't really know.

Attacktrousers.

spacesaresounnecessary. rollingstonesrule.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:55

StonesTod
GravityBoy
I don't really know.

Attacktrousers.

Are you German?

Texas German?

German Texas?

Germans (bless em) at least got it right when constructing words.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:58

Right... come on.. admit it...

If the thread was called...

'Why many of you dont wanna hear their "Attacktrousers" at concerts?'

You'd be more interested.

Am I right or am I right?

Date: December 17, 2012 23:00

GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
I don't really know.

Attacktrousers.

Are you German?

Texas German?

German Texas?

Germans (bless em) at least got it right when constructing words.

like wienerschnitzel...i could be german, i suppose. i'll look around. many of the settlements here in central texas are from german emigrees, so it's entirely plausible.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2012 23:01

I wish every song was a whoreworse

Date: December 17, 2012 23:06

StonesTod
like wienerschnitzel...

No.

Like "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"

Date: December 17, 2012 23:07

Max'sKansasCity
I wish every song was an attacktrouser

Fixed it for you.

Date: December 17, 2012 23:12

GravityBoy
StonesTod
like wienerschnitzel...

No.

Like "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"

goes down very nicely with a nice dunkelweizen or weihnachtsbockbier

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 17, 2012 23:15

Let's go way back in time, pre 1989, and pre what some refer to as the Vegas era.

The 1981/82 tours had Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar. The 1978 tour had Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar, ditto 1976, 1975, and 1973. The Stones have always done these tunes, sometimes excellently, sometimes perfunctorily.

The 1989/90 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours were different in that the above songs became a mainstay. Add in Miss You, Sympathy for The Devil, IORR, and Gimme Shelter, and the setlist becomes predictable. However, while these tunes showed a predictable side, they also showed that some tracks were aired that you'd think would never be aired. 2000 Light Years, Ruby Tuesday, and Paint It, Black spring to mind.

Subsequent tours followed a similar pattern, but then consider the contemporaries: in 1989 Paul McCartney toured, and he decided to do a Beatles based retrospective, as opposed to previous tours, where he'd only do a couple of Beatles numbers, or none at all. Bob Dylan still centres his shows on two stand-bys, i.e Watchtower and Rolling Stone. Johnny Cash, when he performed, still had to do Folsom Prison, Walk The Line, and Ring of Fire. The days of unpredictable set lists were virtually gone, unless you were Neil Young, or Lou Reed.

There's a sense, nowadays, that people have parted with money, and that acts have to do the hits, or the warhorses, or else there'd be less backsides on seats. Even Leonard Cohen, currently back touring, has to sing Hallelujah or Bird On A Wire.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 17, 2012 23:16

I have been to many Stones gigs over the years and I personally think they get the mix just right - it is nice to hear the odd or unusual one or two songs - of course I agree but I would still be disappointed if they didn't do BS, HTW, JJF, IORR etc. If they didn't do "warhorses" most of the crowd would be disappointed to so let's get realistic. I would love to hear the occasional "good times bad times" or "take it or leave it" or "out of time" or "mother's little helper" or "factory girl" or "lets spend the night together" (shall I go on?) but I certainly missed Satisfaction at the end of the first London 02 gig.

I'm not complaining and real fans wouldn't either in my opinion.

"till the next time..."

Date: December 17, 2012 23:18

in 1989 Paul McCartney toured, and he decided to do a Beatles based retrospective,

I was there.

It was great.

Date: December 17, 2012 23:19

Starr
I'm not complaining and real fans wouldn't either in my opinion.

take that back...or you'll see some complaining like you've never seen before.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home