Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What PPV sounded better? HAMPTON 81 or NEWARK 2012?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:44

Last night sounded amaxing in my opinion.

Re: What PPV sounded better? HAMPTON 81 or NEWARK 2012?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:54

Newark

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:57

81. vintage over vegas

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:08

Slick
81. vintage over vegas

that's what I liked what about last nights show, it wasn't vegas... The band has been stripped down... Too bad Bill Wyman didn't play the whole show.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:19

Loudei
Slick
81. vintage over vegas

that's what I liked what about last nights show, it wasn't vegas... The band has been stripped down... Too bad Bill Wyman didn't play the whole show.
imo it was indeed more stripped down, but lisa + bernard still = vegas. last night may have been one of the best vegas-era shows if not the best, but hampton is one of the best shows period. i enjoyed watching last night, but just listening to it while watching football today, the music just isn't that good by itself.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 08:04

Slick
Loudei
Slick
81. vintage over vegas

imo it was indeed more stripped down, but lisa + bernard still = vegas. last night may have been one of the best vegas-era shows if not the best, but hampton is one of the best shows period. i enjoyed watching last night, but just listening to it while watching football today, the music just isn't that good by itself.

what is vegas about having two backup singers?
Lynyrd Synyrd had them. Were they vegas?

the 89' PPV included adititional singers too. But I hear ya.

In 81' they were still on the drugs and why it was probably the best. lol

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: December 17, 2012 09:18

Too clean sound. I vote for 81.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: December 17, 2012 17:24

The sound from Newark was a bit uneven. But overall it was very good. Hampton was excellent, albeit Keith was a little low in the mix on the original broadcast recording.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 17, 2012 17:36

Without any doubt Hampton. Newark is a bad mix, the guitars are too low in the background like they are in the Vegas era, especially when Ronnie and Keith are alone, a little better when another guitarists are on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 13:51 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 17:40

Two back up singers does not make Vegas. This Vegas label is ridiculous. They have had backing musicians since 72. Horns, percussion, keys (accept 78, it was just stones and Mac). Their "sound" was better at Newark, however, the mix was not. As was posted above the mix was wildly uneven with the guitars going in and out of the mix.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 17:45

Do you mean just the sound quality of the broadcast or just the sound of the band?

I didn't see the Hampton broadcast (and still haven't) but I've heard it obviously. The only two Stones PPV events I've seen were St. Louis '97 and Newark '12.

If we're just talking the sound of the band, I would probably rank it

1. Hampton
2. Newark
3. St. Louis

I have a lot of nostalgia for anything from the B2B era, so it was hard to put Newark above St. Louis, and they may have been a little tighter in '97 but I like the less flashy sound of the 50th shows.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:12

I heard it in 5.1 surround and it sounded fantastic. I could even hear an audience member joining in on the 'woo hoos" during Sympathy. I've only heard the Hampton show is stereo. As good as it sounded, Newark gets my nod as the better sounding show...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:33

Newark is excellent ! If only for the bass that you can hear at last, a lot better than at any Stones show I've been to including the 25th...I guess the WWE production team vetoed the Stones' mixing team usual "bass burying" approach.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 21:12 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:06

Always loved Bill's sound on the Hampton broadcast.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:27

[quote="Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:12

I heard it in 5.1 surround and it sounded fantastic. I could even hear an audience member joining in on the 'woo hoos\" during Sympathy.

[/quote]

Yes, I heard that fan singing in a couple of songs, including Miss You,
but he sounded horrible. It call to my attention how present his voice
was at times. Probably a mistake by sounding engineers that wasn't supposed to happen.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:30

ChefGuevara
Yes, I heard that fan singing in a couple of songs, including Miss You,
but he sounded horrible. It call to my attention how present his voice
was at times. Probably a mistake by sounding engineers that wasn't supposed to happen.

Yeah, he was pretty bad. I heard him right before they started the song, he yawns VERY loud. I thought it was Mick, or somebody else with a microphone, but once the song started and heard the singing I realized (though I may be wrong) it was that guy, or somebody near him. Apparently they had a mic a little too close to the crowd somewhere.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:44

Loudei
Last night sounded amaxing in my opinion.

I am going to amax with your opinion, perfectly said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 20:49 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:13

Considering we're having this debate 31 years later... NEWARK!
Mick doesn't sound very good in Hampton, and that could be why they released Leeds 82' (b/c Mick sounds better).

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 18, 2012 07:22

The 5.1 mix was outstanding, including the wayward mic, my Wife and eye looked over our shoulder thinking the neighbor must've wondered in.

When it happened again I was looking over towards Bernard but couldn't get any decent vision of him, I thought I musta had a condition, or eaten a bad prawn....

Hilarious, wonder who it was or what went down, was it a random roadie near the Gaga mic, or the Mysterious Phantom of the Prudential.....dah dah

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 18, 2012 07:47

According to one eye-witness account, an audience member had grabbed a mic hanging low near the sound board.
Once he was found out, he was severely scolded by staff, but allowed to stay after he apologized.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 18, 2012 08:15

angee
According to one eye-witness account, an audience member had grabbed a mic hanging low near the sound board.
Once he was found out, he was severely scolded by staff, but allowed to stay after he apologized.

Did they send him to bed without supper, too?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 18, 2012 09:11

I was in the stands near the front of the tongue pit. There was an "audience" mike, but it was on a tall stand, about 10 feet high.

Anyway, Newark over Hampton; especially once they get the guitars mixed right for the blu-ray.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:36

I'm a fan of in order I guess

Hampton - The FM Simulcast, Stage invader, Set List and Backstage carry-on and George Thorogood put it over the top for me

Newark - Because they did it, after all the BS about "Keith can't play" and "It'll tarnish the legacy" it was a vindication of endurance, strength and determination.

Atlantic City - Spectacular, Schooling the New Kids, Respecting their influences and tearing it up with their contemporaries..And a thrilling Midnight Rambler.

Copacabana / Saitama Super Arena - Size and then the Quality

Miami - Really dug the sheer size and nature of the stage, plus my first Stones Gig was this stage after dare I say Jagger in 88 (pseudo stones)

St Louis - Out of Control

MSG 2003 - Nothing Spectacular nice set list though

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 11:40 by SKILLS.

Date: December 19, 2012 14:02

I just heard the concert again on the Yahoo account both on the PC and the mobile phone with ear phones. It is a weak sound, muffled like the muffled version of New Jersey 94, Keith and Ronnie are often too low in the mix. The sound quality reminds me of the 89/90 tour where the guitars too low in the mix. The PPV costs about 12 € and they have the nerve to offer such lousy sound ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 14:22 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 19, 2012 15:20

Managed to watch a few tracks from the PPV last night. I thought that my TV's volume was set low but it wasn't -the mix is incredibly poor. The guitars sound tinny and hollow. The overall sound is muffled, distant and lacks any presence. Whether this duff mix is present across the entire show I don't know.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 19, 2012 17:18

i presume "sound" includes the "music" that was played? if so, there can't be any serious debate about this...

Date: December 19, 2012 19:21

Sound does not mean music I think since a jackhammer makes some sound but it isn't music, isn't it? I don't understand how the band accept to offer us such a lousy sound performance. I hope that they will release the concert on the Archive for download in a better sound quality (at least like Brussels, in the best case like LA Friday).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 19:21 by RobertJohnson.

Date: December 19, 2012 19:23

that's sound thinking and music to my ears, then

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2012 19:53

StonesTod
i presume "sound" includes the "music" that was played? if so, there can't be any serious debate about this...

You can't possibly like NEWARK that much...Hampton has it's merits my friend.

Date: December 19, 2012 19:58

treaclefingers
StonesTod

You can't possibly like NEWARK that much...Hampton has it's merits my friend.

i hear the roads are note-worthy

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home