Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Paul McCartney Tries To Checkmate Rolling Stones With SNL Appearance!
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 18, 2012 11:35

It's a bit of a silly comment about Abbey Road being a Wings album.

But I know what he means.

Abbey Road is very much a McCartney album in as much as he pulled a lot of threads together to make.. frankly.. a genius album, possibly their best.

The brilliant side 2 medley is McCartney sowing things together.

Pauls contribution to George's Something (that bass!).. and John's Come Together (that bass!!! that backing vocal!!!) should not be undersestimated.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 18, 2012 13:42

ash
When Beggars was released wasn't the latest beatle album the white album rather than magical mystery tour (which wasn't a uk lp).

Correct. The White Album was released a couple weeks before Beggars.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 18, 2012 15:45

Abbey Road is very much dominated by Macca. John and Georges songs somehow seem like guest appearances to me and there isn't a lot of interaction by John and Paul throughout the album. Partly this may have been due to John's car crash but didn't he say at one point he wanted his songs on one side and Paul's on the other. There's also a sort of slickness overall which i don't like. That's why i sort of consider it more of a wings album with special guests. Out of all the fab albums i've liked abbey road less and less as time has gone on. Maxwell/oh darling and octopus are pretty dreadful all in a row.
Yes Paul's bass is brilliant throughout and the album has it's moments for sure but there are at least 10 Beatle albums i prefer and i'm beatle mad.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 16:01

Ash, I think you have missed the real Abbey Road. Abbey Road, their swan song, was truely very collaborative. Firstly, listen to the three part harmonies gushing all over the album. More in your eye singing from them since the early days. Search out the version fo Because with the three of them doing some of the most stunning harmonies of their career. But your opinion is that you don't like the album, fair enough, but that it is a long stretch to insinuate it is a Wings album. The first official Wings album wasn't until Wild Life. A few years later.
Consider the other non McCartney songs that are major Beatle classics. Here Comes the Sun and Something are considered two of Harrison's best Beatles songs, and two of his best written songs of his career. Come Together is another top notch Lennon song with McCartney playing some very heavy swamp bass and adding very distinctive harmonies with Lennon. Lennon also added I Want You, a heavy pre prog rock anthem, that sounds nothing like a McCartney solo song. And there is the beautiful Because. Then you have The End, with the three of them trading off guitar solos and one of Ringo's only recorded drum solos. This does not sound like an album with no group participation and a solo McCartney album. If you dig up some good recent research on Abbey Road from Mojo, and other sources, Abbey Road was a very collaborative album. Yes, McCartney's imprint is on it for sure. He has some very strong material on Abbey Road, You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers, She Came in the Bathroom WIndow, Golden Slumbers, and The End. And yes, I am not a big fan of Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Additionally, McCartney phoned George Martin asking if he would make another Beatles album with them, and George Martin said, "only if it is like before." McCartney said "yes like before." And Martin even asked, "even John?" So there you go. I really feel they intuitively knew that was their last hurrah and collaborated to make a fine album. After the album came out, Lennon slagged the second side as rubbish. And basically it was a method to fill the album, by connecting a lot of fragments and unfinished songs. Yes, that was McCartney's idea, but they all played and collaborated on it. Really, for many, Abbey Road was the apex of their career with their writing, singing, and playing.
I can see what you mean about it sounding slick. But I wouldn't say slick, but very well recorded. Their first full stereo album in the new upgraded Abbey Road studio. And I would fall back on how well they are all playing and singing on the album. Again very much a group effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 16:15 by whitem8.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 18, 2012 16:28

I understand your points and it is said that they worked together more than say on the white album. As i said i've just really gone off it over the years. My fave tracks are I want you and the end. I've never been that blown away by Because. Prefer yes it is or this boy. I think Because suffers from being triple tracked vocally like the first CSN album. John doesn't contribute to George's songs at all does he ? (no change there then !). Maybe it's the change to a transistor mixing desk that makes it sound different to the other albums. I've often wondered about that.
Anyway i don't want to derail this thread further ...i used to love abbey road but now i don't. That's ok i've probably heard it several hundred times already and there's plenty more records to listen to including some not by the beatles !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2012 04:20

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
In all the hubbub last night I totally forgot he was on SNL.

DAMN! have to wait for a rerun.

You can watch highlight clips here... I think [popwatch.ew.com]

dude...thank you!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:36

The Macca/Nirvana tune was interesting upon first listen while watching the Sandy Benefit, but seemed a bit lame on SNL.
Glad to see Paul rocking his socks off though...just wish it were a better tune.
Listening to it now, it seems like a total throwaway.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 19, 2012 14:27

GravityBoy

Abbey Road is very much a McCartney album in as much as he pulled a lot of threads together to make.. frankly.. a genius album, possibly their best.

Pauls contribution to George's Something (that bass!).. and John's Come Together (that bass!!! that backing vocal!!!) should not be undersestimated.

The perception of Abbay Road as "Paul's" album has always struck me as utterly misguided. The four tracks regarded as "classic" Beatles tracks, Come Together, Something, Here Comes the Sun and Because, are by John and George. The two full length McCartney tracks are Maxwell, a novelty song, and Oh Darling, one of those insubstantial tunes that seems to regard rock and roll as nostalgia. The rest of Paul's contributions mark the beginning of his tendency to string together musical fragments rather than developing them into complete songs. Some of those fragments are gorgeous - but they are fragments nevertheless. Paul's best song on the album, the brief but moving "Golden Slumbers", taps the public domain for its lyrics before quickly devolving into "Carry That Weight", which sounds like nothing more than the catchy fade-out of another unrelated track.

Date: December 19, 2012 15:04

Good post drbryant! Very good observation.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 19, 2012 15:47

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
In all the hubbub last night I totally forgot he was on SNL.

DAMN! have to wait for a rerun.

You can watch highlight clips here... I think [popwatch.ew.com]

dude...thank you!

My pleasure treacle... it certainly was (finally) a better than usual episode. (For some reason) the McCartney getting yelled at by Martin Short makes me laugh out loud (I just watched it again), and to conclude like it does, it is an instant SNL holiday classic clip to be seen (I predict) on hundreds on future specials.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 19, 2012 16:54

drbryant
GravityBoy

The perception of Abbay Road as "Paul's" album has always struck me as utterly misguided. The four tracks regarded as "classic" Beatles tracks, Come Together, Something, Here Comes the Sun and Because, are by John and George. The two full length McCartney tracks are Maxwell, a novelty song, and Oh Darling, one of those insubstantial tunes that seems to regard rock and roll as nostalgia. The rest of Paul's contributions mark the beginning of his tendency to string together musical fragments rather than developing them into complete songs. Some of those fragments are gorgeous - but they are fragments nevertheless. Paul's best song on the album, the brief but moving "Golden Slumbers", taps the public domain for its lyrics before quickly devolving into "Carry That Weight", which sounds like nothing more than the catchy fade-out of another unrelated track.

Yeah.. but Paul's contributions to the others stuff is enormous especially Come Together and Something.

I think Abbey Road would not have been made without Paul.

George doesn't even remember making this album - see Anthology DVD "formost Beatle expert" and "he was very keen" (George about Paul playing everything).

I think Paul produced this album as much as George Martin did.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:29

"Paul McCartney Tries To Checkmate Rolling Stones"

He obviously succeeded...
Courtney Love Thought the Paul McCartney/Nirvana Performance Was Great :

[www.metalsucks.net]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 19, 2012 19:16

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
How does Paul McCartney doing SNL mean it's a "checkmate" to the Rolling Stones, who haven't been on the show since 1978? It's McCartney doing what he does. It has zero to do with the Stones.

Not according to the author of the Showbiz 411 article.
But his stuff proves that he knows zero about the Stones, and the idea that macca on SNL has anything to do with the Stones is ridiculous. His prior article said that Mick Taylor guested with them on Street Fighting Man. Most of what you read is BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 19:17 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 19, 2012 22:53

Not sure about SNL but Macca got the short end of the stick on the Sandy album, only one song out of th 6 (?) he played, 2 for The Stones, 3 for Waters, etc...

1. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band- "Land of Hope and Dreams"
2. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - "Wrecking Ball"
3. Roger Waters - "Another Brick In The Atlantic Wall Part I, II & III"
4. Roger Waters - "Us and Them"
5. Roger Waters feat. Eddie Vedder- "Comfortably Numb"
6. Adam Sandler and Paul Shaffer - "Hallelujah (Sandy Relief Version)"
7. Bon Jovi - "It's My Life"
8. Bon Jovi - "Wanted Dead Or Alive"
9. Eric Clapton - "Got To Be Better In A Little While"
10. Eric Clapton - "Crossroads"
11. The Rolling Stones - "You Got Me Rocking"
12. The Rolling Stones - "Jumpin Jack Flash"
13. Alicia Keys - "No One"
14. The Who - "Who Are You"
15. The Who - "Baba O'Reilly"
16. The Who - "Love Reign O'er Me"
17. Billy Joel - "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)"
18. Billy Joel - "Moving Out (Anthony's Song)"
19. Billy Joel - "You May Be Right"
20. Chris Martin - "Viva La Vida
21. Chris Martin feat. Michael Stipe - "Losing My Religion"
22. Chris Martin - "Us Against The World"
23. Paul McCartney - "Helter Skelter"
24. Alicia Keys - "Empire State Of Mind"

Date: December 19, 2012 23:02

They could've taken out 'Who Are You' or a Chris Martin song and given MACCA a bit more space.

Date: December 19, 2012 23:09

It could also be Macca not wanting too many songs on it. He has released several live albums in the last five years. I am surprised the Nirvana song isn't on it. WHo are You should be taken out unless they edit Roger's backing vocals on it, they were painfully out of tune. But he did great on the rest of it. I loved when he was tenderly singing the last lines of Tea and Theater "come have a tea with me..." And Pete grabs the mike and yelled "and have a f... beer!" hilarious.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 19, 2012 23:23

whitem8
It could also be Macca not wanting too many songs on it. He has released several live albums in the last five years. I am surprised the Nirvana song isn't on it. WHo are You should be taken out unless they edit Roger's backing vocals on it, they were painfully out of tune. But he did great on the rest of it. I loved when he was tenderly singing the last lines of Tea and Theater "come have a tea with me..." And Pete grabs the mike and yelled "and have a f... beer!" hilarious.

It could be the Paulvana bit wasn't on it because he plans to maybe do something with them as a project later on. According to an above post, Courtney Love the Yoko Ono of Generation X, approves of the NirMacca sound....which means she's no doubt going to approach Paul to write her next album--I don't think I can "live through this".

Date: December 19, 2012 23:32

stonesnow
whitem8

It could be the Paulvana bit wasn't on it because he plans to maybe do something with them as a project later on. According to an above post, Courtney Love the Yoko Ono of Generation X, approves of the NirMacca sound....which means she's no doubt going to approach Paul to write her next album--I don't think I can "live through this".

Is that the same act as Nirvartney?

Date: December 19, 2012 23:43

treaclefingers
stonesnow
whitem8

Is that the same act as Nirvartney?

Well, it sure isn't the Mac Fighters.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 23:55

Just watched Maca on SNL singing CUT ME SOME SLACK. Great !!! Paul on slide ? Fantastic !!!

Love Dave Grohl too.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2012 00:40

Did you see that on YT or is the whole SNL show available now?

Date: December 20, 2012 02:48

The McVanna song has been released on iTunes as a download (studio version). Quite good!

Date: December 20, 2012 03:24

whitem8
The McVanna song has been released on iTunes as a download (studio version). Quite good!

Nirvartney you mean? I'm lobbying hard for this one.

OT: Re: Paul McCartney Tries To Checkmate Rolling Stones With SNL Appearance!
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 20, 2012 03:36

remember this is an no stones topic. glad to see macca limited to one song - he shouldn't be on the cd at all, he was ridiculous, but what to expect of goofy boy... i was invited to a jaaaaaaaam, and then i realised it was reuniooooooooooon. why doesn't he talk like a normal person???? sorry, but he is so f....... stupid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-20 03:38 by mtaylor.

Re: OT: Re: Paul McCartney Tries To Checkmate Rolling Stones With SNL Appearance!
Date: December 20, 2012 03:40

Not as stupid as you, which you seem to prove every time you post your incoherent rants. How old are you again? Don't you have middle school homework to finish? Keep working and one day you may be able to write well and have an original thought in your head.

Re: OT: Re: Paul McCartney Tries To Checkmate Rolling Stones With SNL Appearance!
Date: December 20, 2012 03:59

mtaylor
remember this is an no stones topic. glad to see macca limited to one song - he shouldn't be on the cd at all, he was ridiculous, but what to expect of goofy boy... i was invited to a jaaaaaaaam, and then i realised it was reuniooooooooooon. why doesn't he talk like a normal person???? sorry, but he is so f....... stupid

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home