Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: AC/DC
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 15, 2005 23:56

Ok, maybe this belongs in I'm Drunk, but I love AC/DC. I have the "Bonfire" box set, the deluxe live set from 1992, and "Stiff Upper Lip". It's all great stuff, but the greatest thing is that they realized all along that rock n roll is meant to be fun. No social commentary (except in a very wry way), and no preaching--it's just rock n roll. The bass lines occasionally offer some nice riffs, but the basic rhythm is straight ahead eighth notes. I love to play it, and listen to it. Another noteworthy fact: the Young brothers achieved a happy medium in their musical relationship that few other brother combos have done. The fact is, many of the classic AC/DC riffs were composed by older brother Malcolm, not Angus.

The penultimate moment is in their first US single--the bagpipes in "It's A Long Way to the Top". It rocks, and it's hilarious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 00:09 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: AC/DC
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 16, 2005 00:03

AC/DC is my 2nd favorite band.

Like you said...no BS just Rock & Roll.

Powerage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Highway To hell, High Voltage, Back In Black, If You Want Blood... classics.

Also some great albums from the Brian Johnson era: (Back in Black ofcourse), Stiff Upper Lip, Ballbreaker, Razors Edge, For Those about to Rock.

Great, great band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 00:06 by BowieStone.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 16, 2005 00:04

Yeah, they are a cool band.
But I always had a problem with them, the same problem as with Guns n'Roses.

When I still went to school the guys running around in AC/DC t-shirts and screaming "Highway To Hell" where always very, well let's say "strange". So I never felt quite right listening to their music...(but they rock!). But probably I was not much better screaming out the lyrics to the songs from all the punk bands (No FX, Offspring, Green Day, Sex Pistols, Dog Eat Dog,etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 00:26 by KeithRichards.

Date: January 16, 2005 00:12

I'm confused. In the two videos I have of the band, you rarely ever see the bass guitarist. In fact I saw them in Toronto at the SARS concert and don't remember him there either. Does he in fact exist? Why is he not spot-lighted? Just curious...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 16, 2005 00:20

You can see him alright... but he's that kind of bassplayer. Going on stage, doing his thing, and leaving the stage.

He's a good bassplayer... good 'ol Cliff.

Date: January 16, 2005 00:24

AC/DC had several bass players during their career--the current one, who has been with them since 1977 (?) is Cliff Williams. The guy who played on "It's a Long Way to the Top" was Mark Evans.

Date: January 16, 2005 00:34

Also, the Bonfire box set has a great cover of Chuck Berry's "School Days" on it. This boxset is highly recommended by yours truly. It includes the entire "Live in Paris" concert from 1979 and a fantastic remix of the "Back In Black" CD as a throw in.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 16, 2005 03:15

Benchmark Livewire and Lots and Lots of Rosie. Remember this was the Disco Era.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 16, 2005 03:18

I thought the Bonfire set was good, but I was dissapointed in some aspects. I wanted some of the tracks that were available only in australia or as b-sides. to get all of AC/DC's music from that period I recommend the bootleg "Rare, rarer Rarest." It picks up many of those tracks not included on the american albums, or on Bonfire. Otherwise great set. Its cool to hear how much power they had onstage.
As a group, I think they are second (in terms of pure rock and roll) to the stones. between all of the innuendo in their music, and just life style, they truly embody rock and roll. FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK, WE SALUTE YOU!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 18, 2005 00:25

I'm a huge AC/DC fan! I wish they wouldn't have put BIB in the Bonfire set and instead put more rare songs. I love Crabsody In Blue and Fling Thing.
In concert, both Malcolm and Cliff stand next to Phil Rudd on drums. The only time they come to the front is to sing back up, then they step back next to Phil. Malcolm deserves alot of credit for AC/DC's sound, although he's happy to let Angus take the spotlight. I'm now waiting for Let There Be Rock to come out on DVD.
If you think people on Stones sites are complaining about when a new album is going to come out, you should see some of the AC/DC sites.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: January 18, 2005 10:35

I love them, and Keith too...

Malcolm Young is a riff genius.

Date: January 18, 2005 11:27

Great band with too few great songs.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 18, 2005 13:34

Great band! Ive been to the last concert of them in Holland and i must say it was AWESOME! Great music and a good show. But most of all i think they enjoyed it more then the audience (and they went nuts).

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: January 18, 2005 14:20

Great band!!. Aren't they Doc??

Date: January 19, 2005 00:15

I forgot to mention that I also have a CDR boot from the March 11, 2003 performance at Roseland Ballroom, just after their RnR HOF induction. The sound quality isn't great, but the band is in great spirits and the crowd is completely crazy.

The setlist included some live rarities from the Bon Scott days like "Gone Shootin'", "What's Next to the Moon", and "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)".

Date: January 19, 2005 01:23

A great band with too few great songs?!?

Highway To Hell, Let There Be Rock, You Shook Me, Hells Bells, Dirty Deeds, High Voltage,Those About To Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Thunderstruck, Who Made Who, Shoot To Thrill, Back In Black, Girls Got Rhythm, Problem Child, Money Talks, Shot Down In Flames, Ride On, Sin City, TNT, Walk All Over You, etc.....

Back In Black is now the second biggest selling album of all time behind Thriller having sold over 35 million worldwide, including 20 million in the US, achieving the rare double diamond status.

Date: January 19, 2005 10:28

IMHO, Whole Lotta Rosie, Thundeerstruck, Who Made Who, Money Talks are not really great songs. Some of the other song mentioned are good.

After Back In Black I've been disappointed with their songwriting.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: January 19, 2005 10:30

After Back In Black I've been disappointed with their songwriting

Compare the AC/DC album and the Stones one since 1990...

Date: January 19, 2005 21:19

To be totally non bias, you can say that AC/DC's songwriting hasn't matched anything since BIB, but then how do you follow up an album like that? Conversely, have the Stones written any "classics" after Start Me Up was released? As a huge fan of both bands, I have all the AC/DC CD'S AND DVD'S as well as all of the officially released Stones CD's and DVD's. I can honestly say that I don't really listen to any of the newer AC/DC material or any of the newer Stones material that often.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: January 19, 2005 23:49

I've seen them on the tour when they were doing Heat Seeker from way back and then recently on the Stiff Upper Lip tour ...lastly in Toronto with the Stones and every time ...they just killed. Great shows ,every one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home