Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Australian Tour 1973 - greatest rock 'n' roll tour
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 15, 2005 11:07

I have just been listening to my bootlegs of the 1973 Australian tour and i must say at least in bootleg terms it sounds like the Stones greatest rock 'n' roll tour.
I know the setlists varied like on most tours but i do feel on the Perth and Sydney bootlegs the songs seem to flow so well into two brilliant shows.
I also feel this tour also sounds more like a group effort - the later european tour sounding increasingly like a Mick Taylor proficiency test.I am not knocking Taylor though i love him but the late 73 tour is slightly more sophisticated sounding.
I haven't yet found any bootlegs from the 72 American tour to match either the Australian or European tours in either energy or sound quality.

Re: Australian Tour 1973 - greatest rock 'n' roll tour
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 15, 2005 11:13

Brussels Affair?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2005 11:39

The Stones knew that down here we're all from ancestors of English convicts and a bloody tough audience, so they played like their lives depended on it. The Stones knew that if they didn't they wouldn't have gotten outta of here alive!

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-15 23:34 by Rockman.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 15, 2005 11:55

Yes Edward, it does seem like the band was having fun, alot more relaxed on the Aussie/NZ Tour !

After playing that hard during the US Tour it was time for the band to relax a bit. The 1972 US Tour was a great success and I reckon the band now knew they could play to anyone in any venue and were correctly the greatest band in the world.

The 1973 Aussie Tour was the greatest band having a great time with all the pressure lifted off them !! Sloppy at times, but definately the best live music you would hear!!!

Esky

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 15, 2005 18:20

These are my personal favourites
of all the live Stones boots!
There's been many so called
upgrades, I'm not too into
these, there are some
flaws, not much they can do
but the rock and rolling stones
here is IMHO second to none!

Date: January 16, 2005 01:07

Every show contains some special magic. Esp. Brisbane (?), where it's raining and they have to sweep the rain off the stage and Mick talks about 'falling on me arse, 'scuse me language', between songs.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 16, 2005 01:38

I have alwasy felt that the boot I have from Perth that tour outshines all else, INCLUDING a Brussels affair. Edward, I am surprsied to hear you say that about MT, but I agree 100%. By his final days, MT was almsot as much a distraction as some peole find Chuck today. And before OpenG pounces for my Jugular, it is not that he played bad guitar, it just seems he had no connection with the group; there was this band playing and off to the side was a a guy playing scales. But at Perth and Sydney on this tour,there was magic never heard before or since.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 16, 2005 02:43

Yes I agree -i prefer even over Brussels
even tho that to of course is on top
of my list.

Date: January 16, 2005 08:48

Kahoosier don't get me wrong i love Taylor on Brussels Affair as much as any other bootleg and i'm not suggesting it's his contibution that made it less special than the Australian Tour - i could listen to him all day, i just feel the Stones play more cohesive as a group on the Australian and in consequence they rock a lot harder.
A song from Brussels eg. Dancing With Mr D lends itself to Taylor's improvisation and it's his contribution that is its most redeeming feature.
That point could also be made for Heartbreaker.
The Australian Tour with the addition of Bitch, Rocks Off and Little Queenie really rocks.
Put in another way if someone asked me to give them an example of the technical skills of Mick Taylor i'd give them Brussels Affair to listen to but if anyone wanted to hear the Stones at their rocking best the Australian bootlegs would be my first priority.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 17, 2005 11:23

Oh Edward Iagree woth you totally and that is the point I am trying to make, about this post in particular, and about the MT situation in general. In that tour in Australia, they were Rock and Roll personified, they have never surpassed that magic there for me. Later it seemed that that magic took a back seat to MT's tecnical skills as you say,maybe by Brussels. I would rather hear a good bar band then a polished group. The current "Vegas" Stones are about technical skills and though I enjoy them, I miss the old rawness at times. I will never say MT was a bad guitarrist, only that by the end of his tenure, he had become at times as much a distraction as addition to the sound of the group.

Date: April 24, 2006 23:36

Jagger's vocals were amazing on that tour also. I really do miss his scream these days.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: April 24, 2006 23:40

'73 Aussie tour = pure beauty

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 25, 2006 01:07

Yeah, the boots I ahve heard make wish I was there. Rockman recounted his experience seeing them in '73 and I was varily green with envy after reading his account. Lucky bastard!

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: April 25, 2006 02:06

I agree 100% with your 1973 tour statement. Perth just plain Rocks!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2006 12:06

All of the Aussie concerts from 73 are good. Except Perth.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 25, 2006 12:27

Auckland is the best. Raw SHIT! Didn't Gazza provide the tape?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2006 12:40

yes. I have the master tape of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 12:41 by Gazza.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 25, 2006 12:43

HOw did you get it, Gazza? BTW: those Oz boots I have are all great! Imagin what a live album would have been like: probably hailed as one of the greatest live records ever released...

Date: April 25, 2006 13:16

obviously I didnt record it as I was 9 years old and I live 12,000 miles away..lol

I was trading Dylan tapes with a guy from Auckland back around 1993-94, happened to mention that I collected Stones tapes too and he casually mentioned that he'd gone to see the Stones when they played Auckland in '73 and had even made a tape of it. Which made me raise an eyebrow as I was unaware of any recording being in circulation. He wasnt a huge Stones fan, had just got into tape trading and so had never circulated his recording. He was pretty amazed when I told him he had the only copy of that show, and was happy to trade me the master tape for a few Dylan tapes.

I think I made a tape of that for two people to begin with. One of whom I knew well and who I knew wouldnt let it end up on a bootleg and another who I didnt know that well. A few months later it was bootlegged as 'Aukland 73' (note spelling) or 'Winter Tour 73' or something like that. So, I'd a good idea of who the source for making a few deutschmarks out of the tape was!

It was often reported that it was a soundboard. However, it wasnt. The guy who taped it just happened to be very close to the speakers. The last 3 songs werent taped because his batteries ran out, and HTW is missing because it wasnt played. I've also seen it subsequently bootlegged (a version of which is on dimeadozen as a torrent) as a complete show with the 3 songs that normally closed the 1973 shows added at the end of the CD - however these songs are actually taken from a different show and passed off as if theyre from Auckland. They're not.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 25, 2006 13:22

Cool story. And one person you don't lend anything anymore, I imagin. Well, you secured you place in the Rolling Bootleg Hall Of Fame!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 25, 2006 14:02

Gazza,
if noone of the 2 people you traded with had leaked the recording out....
what do you think you would have done?
Now, 10 years later, would you thank it was fair that you 3 people had it, but nobody others in the world?
I just wonder, I'm not saying that this or that is wrong/right, or something....

(JumpinKentFlash, you MUST be joking about Perth)

Date: April 25, 2006 14:17

I traded it - that person made money out of it by selling it to bootleggers who probably made a few thousand coipies (something I dont do and which - as was the norm back then - was a sort of understanding between collectors). Thats the difference.

I had every intention of trading it freely in due course, as I did and have done with any uncirculated recording I've got (fargo 99 for example). The way things worked was that if you unearthed something that hadnt been circulated, it gave you a bit of leverage or was a bargaining tool, to trade with others. Its quite natural to not distribute something widely for maybe a couple of months in order to do that - then you would circulate it to everyone who wanted it.

No big deal, really - I was only pissed off for about ten minutes. As Keith says.."price of an education". smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 14:18 by Gazza.

Date: April 25, 2006 14:24

<All of the Aussie concerts from 73 are good. Except Perth.>

The Rocks Off-version from Perth maybe the best track the stones have ever performed!

Date: April 25, 2006 14:26

I don't think at all, that it's a nice thing to do by that person, who sold the recording.
I was just wondering if it was a OK thing to do.... to not trade an "old" show, I mean. Hopefully people don't sit on historical recording for too long.
If I had a unique show, I'd feel kind of obligated to spread the music, to others.....
Not by selling it to VGP, but let for instance the community on this board hearing it.

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: April 25, 2006 14:37

Gazza would love to get a copy of the Auckland show ,again to young to attend it.
Philip
christchurch nz

Date: April 25, 2006 14:39

edited - double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 14:41 by Gazza.

Date: April 25, 2006 14:39

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> If I had a unique show, I'd feel kind of obligated
> to spread the music, to others.....
> Not by selling it to VGP, but let for instance the
> community on this board hearing it.

thats exactly the way to do it. I'd never have 'sat' on an old recording for more than a few weeks and these days its pretty pointless to do so as the stuff appears on torrent sites so fast so most fans can get copies long before a bootleg label can mass produce it. Which is a better system IMO.

and if I get the go-ahead from the taper, expect an uncirculated 'golden era' recording to become available quite soon!

Date: April 25, 2006 14:44

pjb Wrote:
> Gazza would love to get a copy of the Auckland
> show ,again to young to attend it.
> Philip
> christchurch nz

Hi Philip

It should be available on dimeadozen as it was reoffered there a couple of months ago.
[www.dimeadozen.org]

It was also available on Rocks Off. However I cant view our tracker from work so cant see if its still there - I dont think its been re-uploaded since the IP of the tracker moved last week

If youve no luck there, e-mail me

PS : say hello to my wife's Uncle Larry & Aunt Nola in Christchurch ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 14:49 by Gazza.

Date: April 25, 2006 14:50

Gazza Wrote:
> and if I get the go-ahead from the taper, expect
> an uncirculated 'golden era' recording to become
> available quite soon!

That's (perhaps) very good news!

I remember when the Auckland recording was released, I was into bootlegs then too. I was so frustrated that I couldn't find the CD. I haven't still.

Let's say a really great show from 60s/70s was released now.....1000s of people would be very happy. I kinda wonder how it will be in eeeh, 15 years from now.
I believe the Stones-community will be much, much smaller within 10 years. We are a dying spiece, I think.

Even though these labels like VGP make much money on recordings that have been spread by tapers, who didn't earn a penny, I think they have done good work in some way. Usually they dig up the best source, so that the concert is preserved for future. But the new, free, internet sharing, is ofcourse a better way.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 25, 2006 15:05

Gazza Wrote:

> and if I get the go-ahead from the taper, expect
> an uncirculated 'golden era' recording to become
> available quite soon!

Great news! If it's the complete MSG '69 soundboards I can retire trading/torrenting!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1445
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home