Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie's lead on "YCAGWYW" 1975
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 15, 2005 03:07

I used to have the boot of an LA Forum show which featured an astounding lead by Ronnie on this song. He was tentative at the beginning, but it built into a fluttering climax unlike anything else I've ever heard him play. It was emotional and brilliant. I got this on a cassette tape somewhere, but not on CD. This is from the mid-July 1975 stand at the Forum, as I recall. It was a fantastic audience recording, not a soundboard.

If anyone can send me this one track, I'd be forever grateful. Near the end of the solo, someone near the taper lets out a "wooooo"--that's the giveaway. This is one of my all-time favorite live Stones moments--Ronnie gets the spotlight and plays like he's possessed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-15 03:13 by bassplayer617.

Re: Ronnie's lead on "YCAGWYW" 1975
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2005 06:34

bassplayer...My favourite version of You Cant Always Get What You Want from the LA 75 shows is the one played at the July 10 show, so I guess it is the version you mean. I've played this to many freinds and they just cant believe it.... Ronnie goes for the sky and he takes everyone with him....Knee buckling stuff!!!

And yes I can run it onto a CD for ya.

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2005 15:33

Thanks, Rockman. E-mail is on its way.

Date: January 16, 2005 01:03

Why did they even do YCQGWYW in '75? It was performed to its best version in '73 w/MT and the horns. Ronnie's solos aren't fluid like MT's and this '75 and '76 version clealy shows that. Why not put in "Luxury" and "Dance Little Sister" in that time slot, since it was followed by "Happy" and "Tumbling Dice"?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: January 16, 2005 01:37

Ronnie did a fantastic job with YCAGWYW at (I think) MSG in 1975, which was on the "Welcome Back To New York" CD; I never heard him do it this good again

Date: January 16, 2005 02:04

After hearing that wonderful lead on the TOTA bootleg, the version on Love You Live didn't even come close. At that point, I determined that the Stones' opinions on live albums (at least at that time) was that these were fillers and throwaways. "Love You Live" was three sides of crap, and one side of fun (the "EL Mocambo" side).

No one in the band had the patience to sort thru all the tapes and really pick out the best performances. It was haphazard and sloppy. Keep in mind that by 1977 the King Biscuit Flower Hour shows of the 1973 concerts had already been broadcast. Even then, I felt that the band screwed themselves by not releasing an official live album from the 1973 concerts.

Posted by: mckwill ()
Date: January 16, 2005 16:46

Love the version on TOTA part 2. Great, great guitar solo by Ronnie. And love the ending with Jagger doing his YA-Ya's followed by Charlie's drum rolls. COOL

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: January 16, 2005 16:54

which one of these has the best sound in your opinion ?

- 1975 Tour Of The Americas - [VGP-284] - 2CDR
Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 10.7.1975 (6 tracks)
Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 13.7.1975 (15 tracks)
State University, Baton Rouge, LA , 1.6.1975 1st show (2 tracks)

- 1975 Nervous Breakdown - [VGP-302] - 2CDR
Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 10.7.1975

thanks for your help

Date: January 17, 2005 16:31

My favourite version is on "Hold On Tight" MSG 1975. It's astonishing! Everytime someone bashes Wood, they should put that disc in the player - great stuff. BTW, is he using effects in that solo?

Posted by: roby ()
Date: January 17, 2005 16:49

Purely the all thing with Ronnie : amazing, fantastic, wonderful job in....

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 17, 2005 19:28

Hey all - I saw Ronnie's 1st gig with the Stones in "75" at the LA Forum,
from what I've heard over the years it was his best playing with the Stones
but I sure thought at the time - he's no Mick Taylor!!!! MLC

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 17, 2005 19:41

Actually I think he played very well in 77, 78 and 81 too. And later on Keith got so bad.

Date: January 17, 2005 21:14

Forum - I dunno - I thought the Stones gave RW to most "time" in that 75 Tour,
when they were still in the Lead Guitar mode, it was after that when the
"wheaving" started and the solos's where cut back. IMO - MLC

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 17, 2005 22:26

Yeah but his solos on Little t&a, YCAGWYW and well most everything, Shattered etc are great. Black Limo is one of his best solos in 81 and maybe he was at his best then.

Date: January 17, 2005 22:48

SHattered ??? what Lead?? listen to Mick Taylor on a Stones 73 boot
that's LEAD Guitar.... MLC

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 17, 2005 23:24

According to the NME review of "Love You Live" at the time of its release, the Stones thought long and hard about devoting an entire side to Mick Taylor's work, which was to include YCAGWYW and Angie. In the interests of band unity, they ultimately decided against it.

Read into that what you want.

Date: January 18, 2005 00:03

Logie - Yeah - they are still worried about how Ronnie might take it if Taylor's
let back in, somehow or it might just be cover for Jagger and his vendatta
against Taylor - Taylor has said the Jagger's the one who has still not forgiven
him for leaving... MLC

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 18, 2005 06:36

It is nice to see a post that does not bash Woody. Woody has played great on many songs studio and live. People here forget the energy that Woody's live playing, in his prime, conveyed. As far as talent and the whole Mick Taylor thing which someone ALWAYS brings up.......compare Woody's solo albums to Mick Taylors solo albums. Big deal, MT could play a smooth blues scale over and over throughout alsmost every live song. wow.

Milo, NYC
You're out of time

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: January 18, 2005 11:50

Oh my god, you will kill me, but: Mick Taylor isn´t THAT good! He played beautiful notes, bended very nice, but also played lots of wrong notes in his "searching" up and down the scales solos. Guitarists call this kind of half tone searching "spanish playing". You can very easily impress people with fast fingers running over the fret, but in fact its quite easy shit - you can always do it when you have no idea what to play instead. I know Mick Taylor did wonderful melodic solos, he was very good at that. But when I listen to something like his Street Fighting Man solo (ending) in 1973, this reallly sounds SPANISH to me...

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 18, 2005 12:09

Tomstones, LOL, you must burn at the stake as a heretic! Next you will say that the solo to TWFNO is easy to play and not the pinnacle of rock musicianship!

I have always thought that some people that do not hear what you do.I hear it to and have often likened it to someone in their living room strapping on a guitar and practicing lead to a Stones album. Peole who have not heard it , IMO, have just not heard enough boots. MT in the beginning was a wonderful addition to the group while they wre headed in new directions; he did not lead them there. He was the right man at the right time. By the end of his tenure, he just seemed to stand on his side of the stage and play along. He himself admits his boredom, and for me, it shows on his last shows.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: January 18, 2005 14:39

Hi kahoosier,
the Time Waits For No One solo is indeed easy to play. I mean I would not try to learn it note for note as most of it is obviously improvised. It´s one of those spanish solos I talked about. Lots of half tone searching. If you don´t play guitar or only play rhythm guitar it may be hard to imagine, but for someone playing a good solo guitar or blues guitart his is not hard to play. Really not! Even after ten beers. I could show you anytime. When I was 18 I played the solo guitar in a band doing Rock and Blues stuff like Gary Moore for example. The fast Gary Moore stuff is much harder too do compared to spanish Mick - much more aggressive. After a few concerts I had about ten people asking me to teach them to play the guitar. Only one of them had the ability to play nice bended tones. I recognized: If one hasn´t got the feeling in his fingers, it will never come. With training you might get your finger fast, but if you don´t have the feeling... Mick Taylor was one of those lucky guys who had it (ok still has). Ronnie somehow strangely lost very much of it (he often bends terribly in the wrong key).
Mick Taylor is good, but there are so many people playing like him and EVEN MUCH better. I could even name you a dozen guys from my local area. If Mick Taylor would not have been in the Stones, he would have always played in pubs like he does nowadays. Saw him play in front of 50 people in Mülheim (Germany) about three years ago... Some of our local blues bands do better, I tell ya!
If I find the time I will send you some MP3s. Maybe I even do a version of TWFNO for you (though I don´t have a band a the moment because I am writing my dissertation and don´t have time for rehearsals, hope my fingers don´t get rusty....).

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 18, 2005 16:09

I agree with Kahoosier. BTW, Woody's solo on YCAGWYW from Love You Live is pretty damned good as is his guitar work throughout Brown Sugar from same album. Woody takes the solo, there is no horns.......and it's one of their best versions of a live BS, imo.

Milo, NYC
It sure been a cold cold winter

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 19, 2005 00:05

Oh now we will surely all join each other in Hell...so Milo and Tomstones what will we drink while we are there? Now another person has suggested besides me that MT would never have risen to the theater level, let alone areanas , on his own. He is famous BECAUSE he was a Rolling Stone, not the opposite. His solo albums exist BECAUSE he was a Rolling Stone: I mean in a similar a situation, how many people think Patti Scialfa would have two solo albums if she were not married to Bruce Springsteen?

MT was/is a damn fine guitarrist in his own way and style. Probably 100 equals this year will enter music school at North Texas State ( I know,becaue my BA degree is from there) or UCLA. I certainly cannot play like any of them. As mentioned above, I just cannot seem to get that note bending down smiling smiley even though I can chug along with a decent rythm, so I am not taking stabs at anyone. And this is not, for me a Wood- Taylor arguement, they each have their place in music history. I just do not see what many of the MT worshippers do, and I am happy to have found a few that agree LOL!!!

Date: January 19, 2005 00:23

Ka - to equate Patti to MT doesn't deserve a response. I guess Jeff Beck,
Gary Moore,Peter Green didn't "make it" because they didn't have Jagger/Richards
writing songs for them, Jimmy Page didn't make it either without R.Plant

the Stones NEEDED Mick Taylor in 1969 more than Taylor needed the Stones,
he could have hooked up with any number of singers and took off like Led Zep
(they didn't have any success or $$) or Paul Rodgers / Bad Company - need I go on. Today it's the other way around because the "current" Stones have fools like you who pay hundreds of dollars to see Jagger & backup singers & Chuck L.
do a "Vegas" act!!! - If nobody paid the $$$ to see this crap (and that's what they rolled out at their last HBO concert!) maybe Jagger/Richards would have
to actually put an effort together and try to duplicate what they sounded like
back when Taylor was in the band!!! just my opinion... MLC

Date: January 19, 2005 00:37

It never fails--never ever--once someone brings up Ronnie, the inevitable comparisons with MT are made.

This gives me an idea, but that's another topic.

For the record, though, I still think that the 75 LA YCAGWYW solo was better than the 76 Paris solo that was included on LYL. This goes back to my assertion that Mick & Keith simply didn't have the inclination to wade thru all those tapes and made the decision to work with a limited number of gigs for inclusion on LYL. I don't think either one of them has the patience to do that. Compare this to the TLC that Jimmy Page took for the Led Zep DVD and "How the West Was Won". It's just not their style, so we have to deal with it.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 19, 2005 00:53

I don't recall the 1975 solos. For me, the problem with the YCAGWYW and BS solos on LYL are that they seem like a collection of interchangeable licks that could be dropped in any song. It works for some and doesn't work for others.

I'm not sure what the relevance is of "I can play TWFNO". If you could not play something Al DiMeola plays, does that make him "better" than some guitarist whose works you can play? Isn't it all just a matter of taste, of which virtuosity is just one element to consider. As for "playing TWFNO", there is a world of difference between hitting the notes and actually conveying emotion with them, as well as the difference between coming up with those notes and playing them. Finally, that so much of it is improvised and "in the moment" is part of the reason it is so wonderful, for me.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Date: January 19, 2005 01:22

Smokey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
> there is a world of difference between
> hitting the notes and actually conveying emotion
> with them,

This is exactly the point that my orginal post was making--I've played YCAGWYW in a bar band, and I let the lead guitarist listen to Ronnie's lead on this particular night, and it was impossible for him to recreate it. It wasn't the notes, some of which are bum ones, but the emotion behind it that is just impossible to convey. Who knows what Ron was thinking that night, but he was in a different plane, perhaps just letting it all go and playing what he felt. It would be pointless to ask him about it--it was long ago, and he would probably be clueless.

The important thing is that this moment is preserved for posterity, and it proves that Ronnie has the talent to come up with a memorable lead. I am an unabashed Ronnie Wood fan, and I think that behind his joking exterior there is much depth to him, which he keeps hidden in his very British way. Of all the Stones, he is still the one I would most like to have a conversation with. I believe that there is a very serious side to him that gets lost in the "clown" image he portrays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-19 01:29 by bassplayer617.

Date: January 19, 2005 01:27

How is it that MT's critics (that Kahoosier idiot especially), somehow blindly imagine that since leaving the Stones, he has hardly played a note nor bothered to develop himself as a guitar player?

Not only is Mick taylor playing far better now than he ever did, he is actually sounding like the sweetest guitar player on the planet.

...and Kahoosier, for chrissakes man, get a brain, or get off the site. It's nice to see some good arguments , but I'm afraid you take the piss. Get back to the playground with your screaming and shouting. By comparing him with a pub player only serves to demonstrate what many have realised for some time, namely that you have no argument other than an obvious dislike for anything that doesn't fit into your obviously naieve understanding of music.

Hey, and not a word of criticism for Ronnie!

Date: January 19, 2005 01:38

Logie, I'm gonna stand up for kahoosier--the man is very intelligent (he's a doctor, for chrissakes), and he's welcome to his opinion. He sent me some very nice e-mails in the past, so please get off his back. He all have opinions that rub some folks the wrong way (it's obvious that I hold some unpopular viewpoints), but this is what the community is all about.

Step away from the computer, take a deep breath, and remember that we aren't talking about creating world peace. This is simply a bunch of Stones fans exercising their right to free speech.

And, thanks for not bashing Ronnie (smile).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-19 01:40 by bassplayer617.

Date: January 19, 2005 04:06

So Kahoosier is a doctor!!! So what!! Bassplayer, with repect, I have three (count'em) degrees myself from UK universities and am very close to completing my own PhD, but that doesn't give me any authority whatsoever to write garbage.

Kahoosier's arguments against MT are based solely upon an obvious childish disrespect that more often than not borders upon the insulting. He obviously has an issue with the former Rolling Stones guitarist and particularly with those like myself who happen to regard him very highly.

If we want this site to consist of vacuous insulting so-called "smart-ass" put-downs then I can very easily join in with the best of them. I'm probably not alone in being able to do so. However, among the laughs we all have, I would also like to see some intelligent debate and not the kind of drivel that the aforementioned spouts out on far too many occasions, to satisfy some infantile point scoring.

As Bob Dylan sings, "If you don't underestimate me, then I won't underestimate you".

Graham Logan BEd.,BSc.,MSc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home