Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

San Diego 11th Nov 69
Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: December 13, 2012 10:21

There is evidence to suggest that a matinee show took place. I have spoken to Ron Schneider who was in charge of their financial affairs(for those of you that didn't know) on the 69 tour. He remembers having an extended stay in San Diego, the show in Phoenix on that day was an evening show and they had a plane chartered out of San Diego. There is even a poster from the show on the 10th that mentions a Matinee show on the 11th at 2:30pm. Surely someone here must of been at the show or knows of someone that was. There is a written piece stating the Stones stopped in Vegas between the San Diego concert on the 10th and Phoenix on the 11th. But Ron Schneider has confirmed with me that the Vegas stop took place between Phoenix 11th and Dallas 13th. Apparently the reason for the Vegas stop was that the band had time to kill and the plane was chartered and the band were a bit unhappy about the Phoenix show not being a sell out as it was badly promoted.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Re: San Diego 11th Nov 69
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 13, 2012 11:55

Tell me more

Date: December 13, 2012 12:27

Well that's as much as I know, just hoping that someone can come forward and confirm that they were at the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 12:29 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:25

I do have the San Diego Bootleg on vinyl-Recorded Nov.10,1969...Ian Stewart piano

There's a bootleg;"Gathering Madness", Phoenix Nov 11,1969.

There's an IORR Post january 22-2010 ; "Gathering Madness" bootleg nov 11-1969.

Date: December 13, 2012 16:13

Sam Cutler was around at the time and did the San Diego nov 10 1969 RS introduction
Maybe He knows about the 12th of november 1969?

Sam Cutler; Gimmecutler.com

Date: December 13, 2012 16:36

runaway
Sam Cutler was around at the time and did the San Diego nov 10 1969 RS introduction
Maybe He knows about the 12th of november 1969?

Sam Cutler; Gimmecutler.com

You mean the 11th, yeah I've also spoken to Sam Cutler about this and he's not 100%. But apparently in the Bill Graham archives it is listed but I don't know of anyone that can confirm this.

Date: December 13, 2012 16:37

runaway
I do have the San Diego Bootleg on vinyl-Recorded Nov.10,1969...Ian Stewart piano

There's a bootleg;"Gathering Madness", Phoenix Nov 11,1969.

There's an IORR Post january 22-2010 ; "Gathering Madness" bootleg nov 11-1969.

Yeah I also have both of these shows but it's the matinee at San Diego on the 11th that's in question. No recording has ever surfaced.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:39

The Phoenix show sounded great and I hope the rest of it shows up some day.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 13, 2012 17:44

Nasty Habits
There is evidence to suggest that a matinee show took place. I have spoken to Ron Schneider who was in charge of their financial affairs(for those of you that didn't know) on the 69 tour. He remembers having an extended stay in San Diego, the show in Phoenix on that day was an evening show and they had a plane chartered out of San Diego. There is even a poster from the show on the 10th that mentions a Matinee show on the 11th at 2:30pm. Surely someone here must of been at the show or knows of someone that was. There is a written piece stating the Stones stopped in Vegas between the San Diego concert on the 10th and Phoenix on the 11th. But Ron Schneider has confirmed with me that the Vegas stop took place between Phoenix 11th and Dallas 13th. Apparently the reason for the Vegas stop was that the band had time to kill and the plane was chartered and the band were a bit unhappy about the Phoenix show not being a sell out as it was badly promoted.

Nothing has ever been promoted well in Phoenix.

Ron Wood and Bo Diddley played a parking lot on a semi trailer in front of 200 people in 1988.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:47

The Sicilian
The Phoenix show sounded great and I hope the rest of it shows up some day.

I like both the Phoenix and San Diego recordings we have. If more quality recordings surface(hopefully someday before we all are gone...)then it would be exciting. I loved that tour. Still my favorite.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 13, 2012 20:29

Nasty Habits

A while ago (maybe a year or so) there was a thread over on Hot Stuff with the same question. Sorry, I'm not too good in searching old threads but as far as I remember nobody from this board was there so it's still unclear if this show ever happened.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 13, 2012 20:33

Stanley Booth's book is pretty clear on San Diego - an evening charter plane from burbank - they see the lights of disneyland, etc - so there'd have been no time for a second show - he describes it as a basic hit and run deal - fly down - play -fly back to burbank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 20:34 by hbwriter.

Date: December 14, 2012 15:52

hbwriter
Stanley Booth's book is pretty clear on San Diego - an evening charter plane from burbank - they see the lights of disneyland, etc - so there'd have been no time for a second show - he describes it as a basic hit and run deal - fly down - play -fly back to burbank

Yes this has been raised before, but Stanley also had got a couple of other things wrong in the book apparently. Luckily Ron Schneider is working on a book and his writer says that he's kept everything in the way of records and documents. Ron has told me that"I will be able to make a valid timeline that will also refute some of the common myths"

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 14, 2012 16:10

i would say no...there is no 2nd show.
nothing has surfaced, no-one can confirm they played or was there to give an account.
as much as i would love to hope, i think it's best we put this to bed.
there is a chance it was planned, but later canned.

Date: December 14, 2012 16:25

Eleanor Rigby
i would say no...there is no 2nd show.
nothing has surfaced, no-one can confirm they played or was there to give an account.
as much as i would love to hope, i think it's best we put this to bed.
there is a chance it was planned, but later canned.

There's a poster, Bill Grahams database, Ron Schneider and this article

History of Stones concerts in San Diego

Anyone know what that pink ticket stub in the article is?

so not putting it to bed yet.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 14, 2012 16:29

well make me a happy man and confirm it.
the fact that there's no news articles makes me sceptical...

Date: December 14, 2012 16:43

Eleanor Rigby
well make me a happy man and confirm it.
the fact that there's no news articles makes me sceptical...

Ever found a news article on Auburn? Only a poster exists that was seen on the Antiques Road Show. No recordings have ever shown up out of the 2 shows. Based on that I would say that the San Diego matinee doesn't seem any less likely to of happened. Also may I add that at Madison Square Garden there were over 50,000 people in attendance at the 3 shows combined and I think I've only ever come across 2 or 3 people that attended.

P.S. If any of you were at any of the 69 show's then I would like to hear from you. I need help with a project.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 16:46 by Nasty Habits.

Re: San Diego 11th Nov 69--The answer!
Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 15, 2012 04:36

Hello Iorr fans

First..just checked my documents..* My Nov. 4, 1969 list of opening acts with dates shows Nov 10- San Diego One Show BBKing, Ike & Tina and of course Terry Reid. But even more telling is my holy grail--Chipmonck's Call sheets-Nov.10-Band leaves LA at 6:30PM arrive San Diego at 8:45PM direct from airport to gig. Showtime 8:30PM SD International Sports Arena. Band back to LA.. (Bill Siddons was the local contact)

Pheonix--Nov.11th Coliseum one show..( ironically I have a telex from Keith saying he didn't want the Phoenix date when it was offered as a possible first date for the tour ).. We picked up the Phoenix date and unfortunately, I believe they thought since it was the Stones, they didn't have to promote it and they didn't sell out..

That had nothing to do with us going to Vegas..the pilot told me he didn't have to have the plane back from our charter until 8AM the next morning and we could stop anywhere on the route back from Phoenix..DUH--Vegas..

* Do Not believe anyone's memory!! Personally, I still don't remember being with the Grateful Dead and Mick on the pier in the YouTube video showing us getting ready to go to Altamont, even after seeing it. I have had people tell me their amazing stories about different dates, and they weren't even in that town when they double checked.
If I didn't have the documents-telexes, telegrams, letters, photos and contracts I would be hard pressed to relate the facts. I could tell a great story, like a lot of other people do with less credentials but that wouldn't make it true. Luckily I kept all the stuff..:-) and I don't need no stinkin memory..
PS-I don't have a writer, as I was told I would lose my hoarse, high pitched, grating, carzy voice plus no one would know what to really ask me because the facts aren't totally out there.
As a holiday gift, I am pondering posting a little taste of things to come on my site in the next week or so..

Date: December 15, 2012 05:32

great stuff!

Date: December 15, 2012 05:35

post your site address, dude!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 15, 2012 05:36

smileys with beer

Date: December 15, 2012 08:13

Sure hbwriter..meandtherollingstones.com as well as meandtherollingstones.com/blog I recently changed the look of the blog and wondered what people thought..
PS... Even with my documented proof, I am double checking with Chip..

Date: December 15, 2012 19:29

bmuseed
Sure hbwriter..meandtherollingstones.com as well as meandtherollingstones.com/blog I recently changed the look of the blog and wondered what people thought..
PS... Even with my documented proof, I am double checking with Chip..

Liking the new look, hadn't visited it for a while but looking good!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 17, 2012 07:03

And there you have it from Ronnie.

Date: December 17, 2012 14:46

stonesrule
And there you have it from Ronnie.

Say what?

Date: December 17, 2012 15:18

he Rolling Stones played an almost completely undocumented and unknown concert in San Diego. Local rock historian Bart Mendoza has the scoop:

Music-history books and websites report that the Rolling Stones visited San Diego ten times to date, but tour posters and handbills have turned up that shed light on a little-known 11th concert a matinee on November 11, 1969. San Francisco music archive Wolfgang’s Vault has a Randy Tuten–designed, 14” X 22” Rolling Stones concert poster for November 10, 1969, at the San Diego International Sports Arena. The poster is amended at the bottom, “By Popular Demand, Second Show, 2:30 p.m., Tues., Nov. 11.” Indicating the rarity of these advertisements, an Oakland Coliseum poster for November 9 sells for $289; the San Diego edition, which uses the same image, will set you back $2115.

According to Sports Arena general manager Ernie Hahn, the arena doesn’t have records regarding the show, though he can confirm seeing the show on promoter Bill Graham’s database. While the November 10, 15-song set has been extensively bootlegged, nothing from a possible second show has surfaced.

The confusion likely stems from the fact that the Stones played at the coliseum in Phoenix, Arizona, on November 11, 1969. However, on this tour, they did play more than one show in several cities, and it’s only a one-hour-and-ten-minute flight from San Diego to Phoenix.

The dates of November 10 and 11 converged for the Stones and San Diego 36 years later. On November 11, 2005, the band made a tour stop at Petco Park. The previous day, Keith Richards and Toots Hibbert headed to Santee’s Strate Sound Studios to work with engineer Alan Sanderson.

“I was told not to let anybody know it was happening and not to mention it after it was done,” said Sanderson, who had worked with the Stones on their 1997 Bridges to Babylon album. “My contact in the organization looked me up, asking if I had any studio time. I didn’t, but quickly moved the existing client and started sweating bullets. It took two days to set up.

“We did one track with Toots — ‘Pressure Drop,’” I think that track is on every album of his, a different version each time,” Sanderson joked.

Sanderson continues his Stones-related work, reporting, “Last year I recorded and edited demos with Keith in New York, at his house, and in an old library in Massachusetts. And I recently completed archiving the recordings from the last three years of their live shows.”

There's a story on the net; The Rolling Stones First San Diego concert 48 years ago(11-1-64) Rare Stones photo

Date: December 21, 2012 02:16

Final Facts!! Not only relying on my memory and documents I checked with Chip Monck and the person that booked all our travel, Bill Belmont.
I can definitely say that there was NO SECOND Secret San Diego show.

The posters were wishful thinking on the part of Bill Graham, as he was hoping that by showing the poster, we would do the date. He had blank posters on hand that he would fill in the bottom with a date to accomplish his desire. They were just a tease.

We couldn't fit it in and didn't!
(thanks to Bill Belmont for his memory)

Happy Holidays...

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: December 21, 2012 06:15

Looking forward to your book! I will definitely buy it on the day it comes out.

-R

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home