Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anybody of you remember JOHN MAYALL?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2012 11:33

....yeah yeah that's her ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 11, 2012 11:33

stonesnow
If I'm playing a few sides of Cream, this one always fits nicely as an opener. Clapton revealed in a 2006 Cream documentary while being interviewed by Chris Welch that Jack Bruce also played quite extensively during these sessions, if not on the actual recording, then he was certainly sitting in and jamming with the band at the time.

One of the greatest album ever!!

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: December 11, 2012 16:10

Same as Gazza, probably the same tour in 2004 I was late getting to the gig and the support act (Stan Webb) was already on and as I walked into the foyer John was standing there. I stopped and chatted to him for about 5 minutes, told him I was a stones fan, we talked about mick taylor, he told me a bit about stan webb, I bought a dvd and cd and he signed them for me. On the way out he was there again and I also met mick taylor who signed my dvd.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 11, 2012 17:28

Green Lady

OK Greeny, you've got me attention ...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 17:53

He is on the road all the time, he even visits our little unimportant country almost every year. I have only seen him once, but I really enjoyed it. And he is a very nice guy too, after the performance he came back on the stage and signed everythink people handed him for like 10 minutes. Really nice guy, great musician with a very good band. I hope I will catch him again some day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-11 17:54 by Happy24.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 11, 2012 19:56

I just found some more great John Mayall vinyl in my collection;

Raw Blues;
John Mayall
Eric Clapton
Otis Spann
Champion Jack Dupree
Curtis Jones
Peter Green; Anybody of You Remember PETER GREEN???
Steve Anglo

My favorite; John Mayall; Empty Rooms.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 11, 2012 21:52

"Anybody of you remember Peter Green ?"
well no coz i was 2 when he left Fleetwood Mac!
Having discovered his music too late in the day to see him in person i think he might just be the best guitarist to emerge from the UK music scene.
The emotional quality to his work is comparable to Brian Wilson's efforts such as Til I Die and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.
Jumping At Shadows from the 1970 Boston Tea Party tapes is unbelievable and the knowledge of what was to happen to him makes the overall impact more devastating.
Sad but true that his finest work is to be found on the 60 or so concert/radio tapes "floating around" from his time with Mayall and the Mac. Almost every show from 1969 to 70 features him in stunning form alongside Danny Kirwan, himself a sadly lost but once immensely talented writer/singer/guitarist who was apparently once considered for The Stones. Shame these tapes can't be made available legitimately. I guess Fleetwood Mac will always mean Stevie Nicks to most people. No slight intended on Stevie but....
What happened to Peter and Danny was obviously worse than dreadful for them on a personal level but also a tremendous loss to music and music fans in general.
If you've not heard them find the April 9th 1970 bbc radio "in concert" performance. i think the boot title is London Underway. Amazing stuff.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 11, 2012 22:39

ash
"Anybody of you remember Peter Green ?"
well no coz i was 2 when he left Fleetwood Mac!
Having discovered his music too late in the day to see him in person i think he might just be the best guitarist to emerge from the UK music scene.
The emotional quality to his work is comparable to Brian Wilson's efforts such as Til I Die and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.
Jumping At Shadows from the 1970 Boston Tea Party tapes is unbelievable and the knowledge of what was to happen to him makes the overall impact more devastating.
Sad but true that his finest work is to be found on the 60 or so concert/radio tapes "floating around" from his time with Mayall and the Mac. Almost every show from 1969 to 70 features him in stunning form alongside Danny Kirwan, himself a sadly lost but once immensely talented writer/singer/guitarist who was apparently once considered for The Stones. Shame these tapes can't be made available legitimately. I guess Fleetwood Mac will always mean Stevie Nicks to most people. No slight intended on Stevie but....
What happened to Peter and Danny was obviously worse than dreadful for them on a personal level but also a tremendous loss to music and music fans in general.
If you've not heard them find the April 9th 1970 bbc radio "in concert" performance. i think the boot title is London Underway. Amazing stuff.

Thanks for your post about the Real Fleetwood Mac! Peter Green was such an amazing guitar player and I'm thankful for his music. The green Manalishi-Oh Well part 1 and 2-Man of the World...In the Mojo was an article a while ago about Peter Green.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 12, 2012 01:31

I taught myself how to play the blues harp in the late '60's and thought I was pretty good. THen I went to see Mayall during the "Turning Point" tour. He at first discouraged me, as he was so much better than I thought I could ever be. But, in the long run, I was inspired to improve. I used to play the 33 1/3 LPs at half speed in order to learn the licks and to study breath patterns. Same notes, just slower. As a flute player also, I was inspired by Johnny Almond's playing on that LP. Not great, but some good licks.

Regarding Fleetwood Mac, I will always think of the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer version the best incarnation. I saw them in '69 and it was all blues, great stuff. Early 1970, they had a gig in Hollywood (maybe the Whiskey) and Jeremy Spencer got into a discussion with the cult group The Children of God on the Sunset strip, and went off with them, leaving the band, without warning. He just kind of disappeared. I think in recent years he has resurfaced in some musical capacity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:55

DaveG
I taught myself how to play the blues harp in the late '60's and thought I was pretty good. THen I went to see Mayall during the "Turning Point" tour. He at first discouraged me, as he was so much better than I thought I could ever be. But, in the long run, I was inspired to improve. I used to play the 33 1/3 LPs at half speed in order to learn the licks and to study breath patterns. Same notes, just slower. As a flute player also, I was inspired by Johnny Almond's playing on that LP. Not great, but some good licks.

Regarding Fleetwood Mac, I will always think of the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer version the best incarnation. I saw them in '69 and it was all blues, great stuff. Early 1970, they had a gig in Hollywood (maybe the Whiskey) and Jeremy Spencer got into a discussion with the cult group The Children of God on the Sunset strip, and went off with them, leaving the band, without warning. He just kind of disappeared. I think in recent years he has resurfaced in some musical capacity.

I always enjoy your stories Dave, you are truly one of the best posters on this board with a fantastic music perspective especially from the 60's and west coast.

Now if we can get some of It's A Beautiful Day and "White Bird" stories...

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 12, 2012 06:20

Seen him a couple of times with Coco Montayo on guitar, my favorite bluesbreakers guitarist. I belive John is the most advanced blues player whos out there. He took the blues far beyond standard 12 bar blues. The best.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 12, 2012 20:53

The Sicilian
DaveG

I always enjoy your stories Dave, you are truly one of the best posters on this board with a fantastic music perspective especially from the 60's and west coast.

Now if we can get some of It's A Beautiful Day and "White Bird" stories...

It's a Beautiful Day is one of the groups from back then that I did not have the pleasure of seeing. However, my sister, a year older than me, went to a concert featuring them and Jethro Tull. Her boyfriend had a small cassette player and taped the whole show! I wish I knew what happened to that tape!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 13, 2012 06:35

Bare Wires has to be one of the trippiest albums of all time.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:11

Great (semi) psychedelic blues with Mick Taylor on fine form. It's the album that helped win him the Stones gig.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home