Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Worst screw-ups on stage
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 18, 2005 08:14

They've split up .......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 02:14 by Rockman.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 18, 2005 13:37

Erikjjf i believe you, i just can't get why he made "the mistake".

And the mistakes is what it makes fun to watch. It would be boring if they play like Pink Floyd or something like that, exactly the same notes every night.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 18, 2005 13:45

In Brisbane and Stockholm (Globen) Keith started If You Can't Rock Me instead of You Got Me Rocking, taking everyone in the band by surprise. In Brisbane Ronnie did the IYCRM solo with slide.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 18, 2005 14:30

I was there for the FEDEX Field Tumbling-Don't Stop screw-up. It was funny seeing Lisa and the other singers come running out from backstage, obviously surprised. Also, Keith had a very wide grin on his face - he knew immediately he'd made a mistake.

Two other thoughts about that, though: 1) Tumbling Dice was excellent. 2) Ronnie was NOT laughing. I believe I recall he had to shout at the roadies for quite some time before he got the right guitar and amp/monitor setups.

Keith kept grinning well after the tune had started. And the rendition was excellent.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:03

Sounds like a very cool moment. Is captured on a dvd?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:21

It is on DVD Wouter. But it's private shot. I don't have it though. But Stonefan has it. Here is the link: [www.rockpassion.com]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: January 18, 2005 19:40

Just remember an other one in Paris, 1990, 3rd and last show.
Instead of Brown Sugar, Keith plays JJF with the wrong guitar...big panic on stage...
The show finishes on that song but we got two encores : BS and Satisfaction.
I think it was the first show (in Stones history) with two encores.
You can hear that on the bootleg called : the singer and the fly.

BTW, this title is related to an incident during TDice.
Mick has problem with his voice and says in french after the song : excusez moi, j'ai avalé des mouches je crois, oh c'est dégoutant (excuse me, i swallowed some flies i think, it's disgusting).

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 1, 2010 17:33

this is a great thread. I'm bumping it up....cool smiley

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 1, 2010 17:53

The entire show in Frankfurt on the BB tour was a @#$%& up. Just terrible!

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 18:28

Jagger muffs or forgets the words to opening verse of Let It Rock - Handsome Girls disc 1, 1978; in the video you can see Keith shooting him a look that says. 'what the hell was that?'

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 1, 2010 18:38

Speaking of Mick and lyrics, don't forget Honolulu '66. Mick utterly forgets the words to Paint It, Black, and starts babbling sounds to the melody, all the while laughing very audibly. But in fairness, it's a great version and the show as a whole positively kills.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 18:50

Surprised no one has mentioned the time when Keith started playing It's Only R'n'R instead of the initially planned Satisfaction. Mick, however, sticks to the plan, so for the whole beginning of the song we are treated to a an IORR/Satisfaction mash-up.
Unfortunately I can't remember at which show this happened. A mid 2000's show, and it's well documented on bootlegs...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2010 19:42

T&A
Can't believe nobody has mentioned their first live crack at LIB - 9/25/81 - after a minute or so they stop the song to inform Woody that he's playing in the wrong key.

yeah that's a good one but imho the rest of the show, with his 78 vibes, is very decent...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2010 19:46

TT
Charlie stops Midnight Rambler in Toronto 1999 (but there are 2 more lines to sing!). One of the best!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I was there at the ACC. I have the boot too. Poor Charlie he didn't know what the hell happened.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2010 19:49

i don't get how keith can screw up the into to brown Sugar so many times. Don't blame it his fingers. I just don't get it. Here's a guy who has played this song hundred and hundreds of times and still blows it. His brain maybe?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:22

Charlie makes a great mistake on one of the 1966 FM recordings I think it is (SYdney or Honolulu??) but it's actually between songs!
He gets called up to the front of the stage to introduce the next song, but names a song that they've already played and you can hear the rest of the band having a good laugh at his mistake.

The Marquee 71 version of Midnight Rambler is quite bad where they get to the "Did you hear about the boston..." part. Charlie and Keith can't get in sync at all, and jagger tries to help unsuccesfully and ends up with a huge grin on his face.

Let's also not forget the Twickenham 2003 version of Rocks off which was so bad they decided to release it and chop off a large section of the song.
Tumbling Dice was also a shambles that night, with Jagger singing early during the intro which sounded baaaad!!!!

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:49

intro of Happy, Nijmegen 2007, dont know what happened but it was a shocker to see Keith looking down at his guitar like he totally lost it ...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 1, 2010 21:30

Happy LA Sunday. Keith loses the beat & doesn't seem to mind.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 2, 2010 00:48

Taylor almost never screwed up.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 2, 2010 04:05

Charlotte NC No Security Tour. The vocals were drowned out the entire show except the B stage songs. Worst Stones show ever and we had great seats.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 2, 2010 04:58

scaffer
Speaking of Mick and lyrics, don't forget Honolulu '66. Mick utterly forgets the words to Paint It, Black, and starts babbling sounds to the melody, all the while laughing very audibly. But in fairness, it's a great version and the show as a whole positively kills.

how do you remember a show from '66? I can't really remember too much from the '89 show. I do remember I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 05:27

SFTD in Ottawa 2005 was interesting...you don't often see Sharlie leave the stage in the middle of a song

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 2, 2010 13:24

More Hot Rocks
i don't get how keith can screw up the into to brown Sugar so many times. Don't blame it his fingers. I just don't get it. Here's a guy who has played this song hundred and hundreds of times and still blows it. His brain maybe?

Partly because he's a "sloppy" player, often having had a drink or two...but very often because both Keith and Ronnie are these days more interested in posing and running about than they are in their fretboards !

That said, some screw ups have a rather better excuse.
Despite today's highly choreographed big production, they're still quite spontaneous musically. [...Keith defiantly so !]

If they wanted to play "note perfect" renditions of their material, I'm sure they'd put in a much less flawed performance from a technical stand point.

The down side would be a loss of the charge and edginess that's always been a big part of the live band.

The issue for me is that Keith & Ronnie often don't get the balance between musicianship and showmanship quite right.

Their school reports might read..

"...needs to stop larking about and pay more attention" ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 15:02 by Spud.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 2, 2010 14:44

Wuudy

And the mistakes is what it makes fun to watch.

confused smiley Not to listen though ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 14:48 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 2, 2010 15:16

Miami, 1994. Brilliantly bad Keith! On this video, it's at 5:16 specifically (the first wrong note anyway!).

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 2, 2010 16:47

Washington DC, 2002. The set-list (as it had through out the tour) called for "Don't Stop" but Keith busts into "Tumbling' Dice" which sent Jagger scurrying to doff the guitar he'd just strapped on and Ronnie running for the correct one.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:54

"Connection" in Oakland 2006! The song completely falls apart and never reaches the second verse....

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:08

I'm glad the Stones aren't as slick or technically proficient as some other bands. I saw the Eagles last year and they played flawlessly. Note-for-note they were absolutely perfect. And perfectly boring, too. Only problem was it was all terribly boring. You might as well have been listing to the stereo at home. Only Joe Walsh brought any life to the concert.

Mick once famously said - in the '70s, I think - that if the Stones were ever to become a tight, technically proficient band, it would have happened a long time ago. Thank God that never happened.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:17

I agree w/ ChrisM: the Keith/Rockpile debacle on 'Let it Rock' is such a train-wreck it's hilarious!

I seem to recall an Oakland (indoor) show where Keith launched into 'If You Can't Rock Me' and the band was expecting something else. I think Ron Wood had to run back and get a different guitar.

Has Mick ever mentioned the WRONG CITY in his greetings?

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:54

I saw the Eagles last year and they played flawlessly. Note-for-note they were absolutely perfect. And perfectly boring, too.

..I agree...that's their problem.

what do they have, like maybe 5 good songs?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home