Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Semi OT: I Saw The Who Last Night
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:27

I had to make a quick business trip to Nashville. I was sitting at a restaurant eating lunch yesterday, looking at the local music paper and saw that The Who were performing Quadrophenia in town that evening. I turned around and the Bridgestone Arena was literally across the street, so I walked over and bought a ticket.

Quadrophenia is probably my favorite Who album, and the performance was an absolute delight. Although it may seem odd at first to see men in their late 60s singing about teenage angst, it somehow worked. Roger's voice was in fine form, though Simon Townshend took some of the higher parts. Zak Starkey absolutely channels Keith Moon. Moon and John Entwistle were brought into the performance using the big screens behind the band. The effect was very emotional. At the end of the evening it was just Roger and Pete onstage, two friends who have been through decades of battles, triumphs, death, and joy (sound like anyone we know?).

Although I have no complaints at all about the shows the Stones are now doing, it does make me wonder how it would have been had they attempted a larger artiistic endeavor, say, playing Exile or Sticky Fingers all the way through with Wyman and Taylor. It was good to see The Who take on Quadrophenia, and it goes to show how well that work has stood the test of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-03 18:28 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: I Saw The Who Last Night
Date: December 3, 2012 17:30

The Who almost Rules...

Almost.

Zeppelin is better...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:42

Glad you were able to see them.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:47

71Tele
I had to make a quick business trip to Nashville. I was sitting at a restaurant eating lunch yesterday, looking at the local music paper and saw that The Who were performing Quadrophenia in town that evening. I turned around and the Bridgestone Arena was literally across the street, so I walked over and bought a ticket.

Quadrophenia is probably my favorite Who album, and the performance was an absolute delight. Although it may seem odd at first to see men in their late 60s singing about teenage angst, it somehow worked. Roger's voice was in fine form, though Simon Townshend took some of the higher parts. Zak Starkey absolutely channels Keith Moon. Moon and John Entwistle were brought into the performance using the big screens behind the band. The effect was very emotional. At the end of the evening it was just Roger and Pete onstage, two friends who have been through decades of battles, triumphs, death, and joy (sound like anyone we know?).

Although I have no complaints at all about the shows the Stones are now doing, it does make me wonder how it would have been had they attempted a larger artiistic endeavor, say, playing Exile or Sticky Fingers all the way through with Wyman and Taylor. It was good to see The Who take on Quadrophenia, and it goes to show how well that work has stood the test of time.

how it would have been had they attempted a larger artiistic endeavor, say, playing Exile or Sticky Fingers all the way through with Wyman and Taylor.

and put Darryl out of a job...? and maybe Ronnie...? still its a great idea..

cool smiley

Date: December 3, 2012 17:52

You know, Pete copied his windmill hand jamm from Keith.

Read about it.

Others who know, will tell you.

Just read and look into it, he copied from Keith.

BUT, I can't remember Keith actually doing it though.

Anyone have video of Keith doing this.

Date: December 3, 2012 18:18

duke richardson
71Tele

how it would have been had they attempted a larger artiistic endeavor, say, playing Exile or Sticky Fingers all the way through with Wyman and Taylor.

cool smiley

No one would need to be out of a job. Playing a full album would only take 45-90 minutes (for Exile). The rest of the show could be hits with the usual line-up. Three guitars on Exile also wouldn't be bad, so Ronnie would be included there too. Doesn't matter though, does it, because they'll never do it.

Date: December 3, 2012 18:21

71Tele
duke richardson
71Tele

cool smiley

No one would need to be out of a job. Playing a full album would only take 45-90 minutes (for Exile). The rest of the show could be hits with the usual line-up. Three guitars on Exile also wouldn't be bad, so Ronnie would be included there too. Doesn't matter though, does it, because they'll never do it.

i liked the way Phish did Exile..

Date: December 3, 2012 18:25

duke richardson
71Tele
duke richardson
71Tele

cool smiley

i liked the way Phish did Exile..

I loved how they did Exile too, they rule, but they still suck, if you know what I mean...

Date: December 3, 2012 18:28

What kind of a world is it when Phish performs Exile but the Stones don't?

Date: December 3, 2012 18:30

yeah i do, if it rules but sucks it doesn't rule as much as it sucks, but its still pretty cool.

smoking smiley

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:30

Daltry's voice has sounded so completely shot in recent years. It's hard for me to believe a throat operation would be able to restore much of it. Did it sound like they put an extra stitch in for daddy?

Date: December 3, 2012 18:38

arthritis
Daltry's voice has sounded so completely shot in recent years. It's hard for me to believe a throat operation would be able to restore much of it. Did it sound like they put an extra stitch in for daddy?

I thought he sounded very good. At times, you could close your eyes and hear the Daltrey pf 1971 or 1975. He definitely saved his voice for the big high notes he has to hit in songs like "Won't Get Fooled Again", but he nailed them every time. At other times he used a lower register than the original record, but it was fine.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:40

arthritis

Judge for yourself. They totally exceeded my expectations in Toronto

Re: Semi OT: I Saw The Who Last Night
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:01

Hey Tele, glad you could make the show and I hope Nashville treated you well. I very nearly went to this show with some friends went, but decided it better to save my money as I just moved into a new house. I was lucky enough to see Roger solo a couple of years ago at the Ryman and it was a great show.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:04

steel driving hammer
The Who almost Rules...

Almost.

Zeppelin is better...
It's not a competition.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:10

Thanks for the thread and the post from Toronto. You pushed me over the edge. I skipped Toronto, worried that they would not sound great anymore. I saw them do Quad twice already and was worried they would simply have aged too far (not a nasty criticism, just possible reality...in my 50s now, I can imagine my 60s will see me moving at a slower pace). But now I'm convinced I need to go. They play in Hamilton ON in February, and I will now make the road trip.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:20

HMN

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:54

steel driving hammer

Read about it.

But Pete took the windmill to a level no other man could.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 3, 2012 20:28

I was there last night too. Took my son. Great show.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 3, 2012 20:37

buffalo7478
Thanks for the thread and the post from Toronto. You pushed me over the edge. I skipped Toronto, worried that they would not sound great anymore. I saw them do Quad twice already and was worried they would simply have aged too far (not a nasty criticism, just possible reality...in my 50s now, I can imagine my 60s will see me moving at a slower pace). But now I'm convinced I need to go. They play in Hamilton ON in February, and I will now make the road trip.

Glad to help. I was worried too. In fact, I only grabbed tickets three days before the show after a random check of Ticketmaster came up with 12th Row Floors.
(clearly, production holds were released as the place was packed). I saw them last a few years ago, and the show was pretty spotty, especially Roger's voice, and I thought they were done. They have lost a tiny step since 2002, but are way more "on" than the 2006-07 shows.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:01

I was very impressed with them in Atlanta. Roger was strong. He sounded better than he has in years. Having Polyps removed made the difference. I loved everything about the show. The homage to John and keith was poigant yet, made you realise how good they were together back in the day. Pete lost his temper twice during the show. The old Pete is back! Still has the fire. That is what I love about him. He is a flawed man. He is one of us. Zak..what a performance behind the drum kit. Some drummers elevate anyone they play with. Listen to Paul Rodgers with Jason Bonham. Then, listen to one of his shows without him. Night and day. Pete and Rog both are pushing '70. Go see them. You will not be disappointed.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:23

I was there as well.
First time to see them and was not at all disappointed.
Agree Roger's voice sounded great !
They 'seemed' like they had a good time as well as the fans smiling smiley

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:31

I saw The Who about ten days ago and was floored at how great it was. The last 12 years they've basically been playing the same show so it was nice hear Quadrophenia presented in such a magnificent fashion.

A couple notes:

1. Daltrey's voice is BACK! The surgery was apparently successful though I'm guessing a couple of the trademark screams ("Won't Get Fooled Again stands out) may have been recorded. Also, the Townsend brothers sang quite a bit of Quadrophenia (Pete his own parts, Simon those of Moon and Entwhistle).

2. Townsend repeatedly said (between bitching) that this was Daltrey and one of the band member's interpretation of QUADROPHENIA. Apparently they are the ones who decided to jettison all visual representation of the main character and his motorbike and the teen riots and so on. There were visuals correct to the era (1963-64) but not the characters of the opera. CONSEQUENTLY the music was allowed to shine as never before.

To reiterate Deepurple above me: "Go see them. You will not be disappointed."

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:57

steel driving hammer

Read about it.

According to Pete, Keith's "windmill" was nothing more than a preshow warm-up to limber up his arm, and Keith later didn't even remember doing it. Pete was on Letterman last month, and he explains it:

Date: December 3, 2012 22:00

Yeah but Keith was the 1st to do it still.

Stones.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: December 3, 2012 22:30

I'm seeing the Who on Thursday (Newark) and Stones (Brooklyn) on Saturday.
Life is good!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 00:58

Love The Two.... I mean The Who.

Date: December 4, 2012 01:03

UGot2Rollme
Life is good!

You must enjoy to the Max.

I feel yer pleasure...

Date: December 4, 2012 01:22

steel driving hammer
UGot2Rollme
Life is good!

You must enjoy to the Max.

I feel yer pleasure...

Me too. I'll be in Brooklyn on Saturday for the Stones. The Who show was completely unplanned for and unexpected, which made it all the sweeter...One more observation: Pete changed guitars for every single song. He even changed from a candy apple red Strat to another (seeimingly identical) candy apple red strat. He also used a lovely Gibson J-200 acoustic and a black and white Start. Simon played an SG (or maybe it was an SG Special), a Les Paul, and (I Think) a Gretsch. Someone at Gruhn Guitars told me that Pete has an endorsement deal with Fender, which is why he isn't playing any Gibsons. Maybe acoustics aren't part of the deal, I don't know.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 4, 2012 02:10

Got tix for Cinci Oh. Counting the days!!!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home