Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith has been practicing
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:03

Thanks for the kind words Sighunt! That video is several years old now but it seems to be still reaching a lot of people even now....very cool! I was pretty adamant about making this video because some guy had posted his tutorial on Rambler and he was doing it in open G tuning--ugh! I flooded his comments section on his page trying to explain how wrong he was and figured it'd just be easier to do my own video explaining it the right way! So I made this one and two others. If it gets more people playing Stones music--I've done my part!

Date: December 3, 2012 02:07

Glad too that Open G is quite easy to play...

5 strings.

4 notes.

3 riffs.

2 fingers.

And 1 ashole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-03 02:07 by steel driving hammer.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:19

GravityBoy
I would really like to know what has been going on behind the scenes for the last few months.

Keith got his chops back somehow.

But how?

Someone mentioned Steve Jordan?

I believe it has a lot to do with simply playing on regular basis. It seems that after 2007 he stopped touching the guitar.
If one person stops speaking a language for a long period of time and then is asked to participate to a conversation, the same problem may appear, lack of immediate fluency. But that doesn't mean that the person can't speak that language anymore. With some practice, one can get back to a very decent level.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:21

rollmops
GravityBoy
I would really like to know what has been going on behind the scenes for the last few months.

Keith got his chops back somehow.

But how?

Someone mentioned Steve Jordan?

I believe it has a lot to do with simply playing on regular basis. It seems that after 2007 he stopped touching the guitar.
If one person stops speaking a language for a long period of time and then is asked to participate to a conversation, the same problem may appear, lack of immediate fluency. But that doesn't mean that the person can't speak that language anymore. With some practice, one can get back to a very decent level.
Rock and roll,
Mops

i stopped speaking english for eight hours last night and had no problem picking it right back up this morning.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:27

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Patti's illness, I think that may have played a bigger role in Keith's move away from the guitar than anyone suspects. Patti has been quoted as saying Keith tore out the studio they had in the house, and his daughters and Patti have all said he did not handle her illness well at all. Wasn't he writing the book at the same time? He has said that experience took him to some dark places at times, just remembering everything. All this, along with his own health issues from the fall...seems like the guy had a rough couple of years in his personal life.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:51

bingo. Mick must have insisted he get his act together or no go

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:12

MrMonte

why no insistence heretofore?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:13

And Mick wasn't the only one insisting.

Date: December 3, 2012 03:22

stonesrule
And Mick wasn't the only one insisting.

Sounds like maybe a band intervention. thumbs up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:23

latebloomer
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Patti's illness, I think that may have played a bigger role in Keith's move away from the guitar than anyone suspects. Patti has been quoted as saying Keith tore out the studio they had in the house, and his daughters and Patti have all said he did not handle her illness well at all. Wasn't he writing the book at the same time? He has said that experience took him to some dark places at times, just remembering everything. All this, along with his own health issues from the fall...seems like the guy had a rough couple of years in his personal life.

Good points, something like that happening to the most important person in one's life can rearrange one's priorities. One of the things I have always greatly admired about Keith was his long term marriage to a great woman... It can tell / show more about someone than anything else. I dont know him or her... but I know people who stay in long term marriages, and the yare... are...

there is no way that will be understood correctly...
but I will leave it anyway.... it is mainly a thanks LB, good point.

Date: December 3, 2012 03:44

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer

Good points, something like that happening to the most important person in one's life can rearrange one's priorities. One of the things I have always greatly admired about Keith was his long term marriage to a great woman... It can tell / show more about someone than anything else. I dont know him or her... but I know people who stay in long term marriages, and the yare... are...

there is no way that will be understood correctly...
but I will leave it anyway.... it is mainly a thanks LB, good point.

Can't say I understand you Max, but appreciate the comment. As for staying married a long time...I'll paraphrase Olivia Harrison, George's wife. "The secret to a long marriage is not to get divorced."grinning smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:52

StonesTod
MrMonte

Probably because Keith's sloppiness wasn't *overly* noticeable until the end of the last tour.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 3, 2012 04:02

Justin
Someone must have mentioned that his usual performance wasn't gonna cut it. I wonder who gave him the nudge? (And how he took it!)

I'm guessing he knew and just needed someone to be honest with him. I remember an interview with Bill recently, before this whole gig was a done deal, and he said at one point, "I've still got my chops", speaking in the context of the band. I read that with an emphasis on the word "my".

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 3, 2012 05:06

Falling off that shrub and cracking his skull in 2006 was probably the best thing for him career-wise, in terms of preserving his musical abilities. It led to his giving up cocaine (doctor's orders) and eventually constant alcohol intake (another doctor's recommendation), the long-term combination of which was seriously affecting his motor skills, not to mention threatening to make him a walking parody of his "elegantly wasted" image, for which he has been endlessly applauded for so long. If he hadn't fallen off that shrub, who knows what he would have done to cope with the stress of Patty's illness--gone back on heroin most likely.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: December 3, 2012 05:32

carlorossi
StonesTod
MrMonte

Probably because Keith's sloppiness wasn't *overly* noticeable until the end of the last tour.

I think it has more to do with the fact that one of the dark places Keith went to in his book was into Mick's pants. Mick was probably not too fond of the things Keith had to say about his todger or the other cheap shots he took at him in the book. Thus he was less willing to look the other way about Keiths deficiencies than before.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 3, 2012 08:16

Does anybody think that keith's practice routine involved watching old footage of himself and trying to figure out what happened? I have a hard time picturing him sitting on his bed with the 72 custom tele watching the 81 hampton roads show just cussing at his fingers and softly weeping. But i can sort of envision him watching voodoo lounge tour tapes.

Date: December 3, 2012 10:22

He has been practising alright. Both his rhythm and solo work.

Seemingly, he now has developed a pattern to work within, and that helps him structuring his playing a bit. However, Keith's playing will always be loose and instinctive.

My guess is that Keith have worked hard to come back on this level.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 3, 2012 10:38

Sighunt
Justin
Rokyfan
Actually, someone on the Undercover mailing list is suggesting, seriously, that there is a phantom player stashed under the stage or somewhere playing Keith's licks. 99% sure he's serious, too. (I don't post this to lend an ounce of credibility, just to show that nothing is too ridiculous that you can't find someone who believes it).

(not directed at you Rokyfan but for anyone who wishes to entertain this ridiculous idea of a mystery guitar player helping Keith)

We don't need a phantom player for us to clearly SEE that Keith is playing more rhythm. In addition to that, with all the raw, HD captured footage by fans from different angles throughout the arena we would have noticed a discrepancy with what we hear and see on the screen. There is absolutely no discrepancy. It all matches up. Also, how do we account for Pierre being the mystery guitar player when he is clearly visible walking around behind the stage and also handing Keith his guitars at the start of songs? I don't see Keith checking his back to see if Pierre has run off to his little backroom station ready to play along with him...

Every tour some numbskull wants to suggest that there is someone "in the back" who is really playing guitar for Keith and only a person who has absolutely ZERO knowledge about playing the guitar could suggest that. There is absolutely no way Keith could mime playing a solo while someone else is playing on his behalf. This would imply that every solo Keith plays on every song--each night--is exactly the same to the exact detail. There would be no room for variation since the "phantom guitar player" in the back is prepared to only play what he and Keith rehearsed. It'd be an utter waste of time and a huge pain in the ass to perform this way.

The logistics of arranging something like this is beyond tedious and an utter waste of time to choreography correctly especially with someone as inconsistent and spontaneous as Keith. The person (or people) who want to believe this--deserve it. They're missing out on a rare moment for the band.

Justin, if there is anybody that would know something about Keith's guitar playing, it would be you...BTW, I have been playing guitar on and off for many years (don't consider myself a brilliant player by any stretch of the imagination-just the usual backroom stuff). Anyway, I went on U Tube and wanted to attempt to find out how to play Midnight Rambler and found (which I am assuming is you) demonstrating the RIGHT way to play Midnight Rambler. I have to say that is the BEST sounding version of that song I have seen. Your instruction of this tune is great, by the way. You nailed it, brother. Nice job.

I saw this video ages ago it's great!

But because I can't be bothered with a capo it helped me figure out how to get by without one.

B bar chord + pinky boogie
A to A9 bar chord (hammer on the A to B on the high E string).
E chord + pinky boogie

It's close enough for jazz or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-03 10:40 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home