Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The use of Les Pauls on this tour
Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: December 1, 2012 09:13

Besides the use of the regularly used strats and tele's, it seems as though for the first time since voodoo lounge keith is depending on Les Pauls for the majority of the songs....gimme shelter for example he would always use the big hollow body black gibson, but he is using the yellow gibson he usually uses on rambler

Re: The use of Les Pauls on this tour
Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: December 1, 2012 09:22

Ronnies using a Les Paul. It appears to be a Historic Reissue.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 1, 2012 09:50

Yes, I noticed that, too. Seemed strange somehow to see Keith with a Les Paul.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 10:12

The Les Paul Juniors are lighter?

I have a TV Yellow Melody Maker and that is very light but still is a rock machine.

It's nice not having a ton weight around your neck, maybe that's why Keith is using them?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:42

OK now they need to bring back the ampegs and we will be in business.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: December 1, 2012 16:55

Keith has used Les Paul Juniors for quite a while. The double cut has been in action since 1989 on MR. He also used this guitar on Out Of Control on Sunday. Keith seems to favour the single cut Junior on the songs in standard tuning which feature him on lead rather than rhythm. The Junior has a lighter sound as it's got a P90 pick up not the PAF pick up found on normal Les Paul standards and Customs. The 355 he's been using has the PAF pickups but tonally it tends to be softer than a Les Paul due to the hollow body.

The big change to Les Pauls is from Ronnie Wood. He's never used them much so it's a big change. The Les Paul standard has a much heavier sound than the Strat he normally plays so in theory it should have beefed up the overall guitar sound. To be honest I haven't noticed a beefed up sound at the 2 gigs so that suggests most of the tone is coming from the amp set up. I prefer the feel and playability of Les Paul's myself which might be the only reason Wood has switched.

I think the guitars are picked for the feel and playability and the techs are left to get the sound right regardless of which guitar is picked up.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:53

It's hard to tell from the Youtube videos about the guitar sound. Ronnie's sound seems fuller with the Les Paul guitars. He's always gotten a pretty fat sound out of the Zemitas for slide.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Date: December 1, 2012 19:04

The Zemaitis has the same pick ups as the Les Paul Standard. So it gives a similar sound.

Date: December 1, 2012 19:18

PhilipStaniforth
The Zemaitis has the same pick ups as the Les Paul Standard. So it gives a similar sound.

Yes, sir.

It seems that Ronnie and Keith are going for a bigger sound right now. It's not so much a distorted sound, as it is fuller and richer.

The P90 pickups in the Jrs. can be beastly. They're an overwound single coil. It was the favored pickup of Leslie West, who was able to contain it at extreme volumes. It's really a credit to Keith and the sound crew that they can get a great sound from it with out it squealing like a stuck pig.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:48

A similar pickup doesn't necessairily make for similar sound. As mentioned, the 355 Keith uses has softer (though warmer and more full are what I would call it) sound that the Les Paul and while the Zematis sounds thinner to my ears. Regarding the use of Les Pauls, I'm not too surprised that Keith is using them but I certainly am that Ronnie is using them. I hope some guitar mag will interview Ronnie, Keith and Mick to talk about their gear and such...

Date: December 1, 2012 21:48

PhilipStaniforth

The big change to Les Pauls is from Ronnie Wood.

thumbs up

Date: December 1, 2012 21:50

ChrisM
A similar pickup doesn't necessairily make for similar sound. As mentioned, the 355 Keith uses has softer (though warmer and more full are what I would call it) sound that the Les Paul and while the Zematis sounds thinner to my ears. Regarding the use of Les Pauls, I'm not too surprised that Keith is using them but I certainly am that Ronnie is using them. I hope some guitar mag will interview Ronnie, Keith and Mick to talk about their gear and such...

Er.. pickup height is a massive factor (distance from the strings).

You can make any pickup sound thinner or thicker with a few turns of the screwdriver.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:02

Yes I noticed at Mondays show that the Les Pauls were out in force, and it's a good thing. I always wanted a Les Paul and got one earlier this year. Wow! They are just so easy to play, especially for lead. And you can really get a good range of sounds out of them. Less on a junior because you only have one pickup of course. Glas to see Ronnie using one.

Question - what's that starnge looking guitar Ronnie was using.

Posted by: Fullerblindboy69 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:49

They are truely a 'guitar' band again.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 2, 2012 04:31

I'm a huge Les Paul fan, I just this year I picked up a 2012 LP bass in Gold Top. This thing weighs a ton but the PAFs roar with the fat strings. Personally though, when I think of Keef, it's with the Tele.

Date: December 2, 2012 05:15

GravityBoy
ChrisM

You can make any pickup sound thinner or thicker with a few turns of the screwdriver.
Er, thanks but that is not the point.

Date: December 2, 2012 05:53

good question, its got some sort of blue ball on it

Date: December 2, 2012 05:53

GrandToad
PhilipStaniforth

Yes, sir.

It seems that Ronnie and Keith are going for a bigger sound right now. It's not so much a distorted sound, as it is fuller and richer.

agreed

Date: December 2, 2012 05:54

ChrisM
Regarding the use of Les Pauls, I'm not too surprised that Keith is using them but I certainly am that Ronnie is using them. I hope some guitar mag will interview Ronnie, Keith and Mick to talk about their gear and such...

yeah ronnie loves the novilty guitars and the rare guitars, i guess thats why it surprised me to see him using the les pauls so much

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 2, 2012 07:40

sjs12

Versoul Raya

Date: December 2, 2012 07:52

z
sjs12

Versoul Raya

Strange as it sounds, I'd like to have one of those.

Date: December 2, 2012 10:37

ChrisM
GravityBoy
ChrisM

It's totally the point.

The same guitar and same pickups can sound vastly different by moving the pickups close (more powerful but slurred) or away (less powerful and cleaner/thinner).

Then we have amp choice.

Comparing a Les Paul to a Zematis is dependent on set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 10:37 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: onno ()
Date: December 2, 2012 10:49

The "strange guitar" Ronnie was using isfrom a brand called Versoul, a finnish guitar company. By the way,TRonnie also used this guitar on a couple of the final Bigger Bang shows.

Onno

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 2, 2012 11:56

GravityBoy
ChrisM
GravityBoy
ChrisM

It's totally the point.

The same guitar and same pickups can sound vastly different by moving the pickups close (more powerful but slurred) or away (less powerful and cleaner/thinner).

Then we have amp choice.

Dead right

Date: December 2, 2012 17:20

I was a bit confused on the pickup height issue as I always thought there was a kind of optimum height just before the pickup got too close and the magnets start to pull the strings out of tune and the smaller gap has a tendency to cause string clatter on the pick up.

I just checked out a good article which explains this.

[www2.gibson.com]

The most interesting point to note is you can't raise the overall height on a P90 which is what's on the Junior. You can only raise the individual pole pieces.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 2, 2012 18:03

PhilipStaniforth
Keith has used Les Paul Juniors for quite a while. The double cut has been in action since 1989 on MR. He also used this guitar on Out Of Control on Sunday. Keith seems to favour the single cut Junior on the songs in standard tuning which feature him on lead rather than rhythm. The Junior has a lighter sound as it's got a P90 pick up not the PAF pick up found on normal Les Paul standards and Customs. The 355 he's been using has the PAF pickups but tonally it tends to be softer than a Les Paul due to the hollow body.

The yellow DC Junior is in use since '79. It first appeared with him during the New Barbarian gigs, then on the 81 tour on just a few shows and songs (LSTNT, LMG). It doesn't really have a 'lighter' sound to a LP or 355, it does have a fairly brown, distorted sound. Not as trebly as the bridge PU of a LP, but also not as jazzy as the neck pickup on a 355. The 355 does have more air than a LP, but it also has more snap, a bit like a Tele, from the ebony board.

Concerning the height of a PU: the closer the pickup is to the string, the louder the output will be, but also how smaller the frequency range will be. Many guitarists make the mistake to put the PU too close to the strings. It is much better to lower the PU as low as possible without loosing sound, and to increase the levels on the amp. This way especially Tele's and Strats sound way better.

A P90 can be raised in most guitars, you only have to remove the scratch plate. The PU is mounted directly into the body by just 2 screws, and are adjustable. When they are not adjustable by screws you can increase the height by using shims.

Mathijs

Date: December 2, 2012 19:03

Brown sound. Interesting term.

It would be interesting to dissect Keith's guitars.

Keith always seems to sound a little bit sloppy on the 355 to me. I don't think it suits his typical playing style. I'm pleased with the switch to the Les Paul Junior.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:10

PhilipStaniforth
Brown sound. Interesting term.

It would be interesting to dissect Keith's guitars.

Keith always seems to sound a little bit sloppy on the 355 to me. I don't think it suits his typical playing style. I'm pleased with the switch to the Les Paul Junior.

I noticed that too. When keith is playing the 355 he has more of a tendency to rest it on his gut and aimlessly noodle more.

Date: December 2, 2012 19:15

There's something about playing a lighter small-bodied basic guitar.

I think it suits Keith down to the ground.

Les Paul Jrs are rock machines.

Date: December 2, 2012 19:49

GravityBoy
ChrisM
GravityBoy
ChrisM

It's totally the point.

Then we have amp choice.

Perhaps I should have said, it was not the point I was trying to make. Mathijs' observations regarding the inherent qualties of the guitar itself were more along the lines of what I was thinking. The pickups and their height are not the only contributing factors to a guitar's sound but if you wish to focus on pickup height then please go ahead...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 19:59 by ChrisM.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home