Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor tonight at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea
Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:10

Too bad I'm home and not in London any more. Very special guest expected at Taylor's gig.

Re: Mick Taylor tonight at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:49

I bet Taylor's going to be pumped up like crazy tonight! Ronnie seems likely...any others would be a very good sign of things to come.

Looking forward to pics and reports!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-30 22:51 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 30, 2012 22:07

I am waiting...

Posted by: readymade ()
Date: November 30, 2012 22:46

Glen matlock on stage

Date: December 1, 2012 00:29

Show over? If not how is it going? ;-)

EDIT - I see he has Hamish Stuart on Guitar and vocals in his band, that's cool, guy is a good singer and was one of Macca's best sidemen.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 00:33 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:07

OK, it did not happen. Last night Mick Taylor's friend/manager stated that Keith was supposed to show up at Taylor's gig.

CYHMK and No Expectations played tonight.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 1, 2012 13:25

latvianinexile
OK, it did not happen. Last night Mick Taylor's friend/manager stated that Keith was supposed to show up at Taylor's gig.

If, and it's a big if, true, very crushing and cruel to MT. I enjoyed last night but the contrast between then and now was striking. MT sang "No expectations" as an encore, very pointedly introducing it as a Keith Richards "number", and changing the final verse lyrics to reference a plane to New York. I thought his rendition of 'once I was a rich man' etc was very poignant.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:06

latvianinexile

Well, some friends of mine and I were there, as were Beast, Rockman, Manofwealthandtaste, Barking Paul, and no doubt countless other folks off this message board .......... but alas no guests !!

Having said that, it was great to see Mick Taylor play (in all our opinions for the most part) better than he's played in years. We here in London have seen him here and there over the years, and he can be a very erratic performer. When he's either not in good humour or just on general bad form, it's REALLY bad, and I DO mean REALLY bad. Beast, Manofwealthandtaste, and I have between us seen him many good times now over the years, and we were all agreed that yesterday's performance was the best we've ever had from him. Perhaps his reuniting with the Stones has served to reinvigorate him, it would seem so ?

Anyway, nice as it would unquestionably have been to see another Rolling Stone or two on stage with him yesterday, it simply didn't happen. But we did get CYHMK and No Expectations ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 1, 2012 14:14

Thanks for the report, looks like Keith was on his way to NY already maybe?

Did you get a chance to whip out the G12 Paul ? It's good to hear it was the best performance of his you've seen, he can only have been "pumped up" by his appearance at the O2 where he turned out to be an unexpected showman, especially on Sunday. I saw him once in 1992 at The Mean Fiddler and while the playing was good he hadn't put up much of a show if memory serves.

--------------

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:19

latvianinexile

He's far from a friend and should stay out of Taylor's business. What's more, the false advertising [Mick Taylor "with Rolling Stones"] was also his doing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 03:37 by SundanceKid.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:27

After watching the video of the 2nd Midnight Rambler(thursday night) it seems to me that Mick Taylor went through a sort of rock and roll epiphany. I have never seen him moving like that on stage, he seemed to be estatic and to be in rock and roll heaven for a few minutes. I am very glad that the rolling stones gave him that oportunity and that Mick took it because he deserves to be recognized the world over as a fantastic guitar player.
Thankx to him ,Ronnie Wood and the stones.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:31

gotdablouse
Thanks for the report, looks like Keith was on his way to NY already maybe?

I took the lyric change to be a reference to the Stones putting him (MT) on a plane to New York but he still has no expectations - ie they still won't be paying him his royalties! My interpretation only - that's the beauty of music, and especially live performance.
Interesting to read what those who have seen him many times thought. Before O2 I had only seen him live once before at Boogie for Stu, so last night was the first time I saw/heard him carrying a whole set and was struck by how little showcraft he has, despite his great musicianship. His style is almost apologetic and so so different to any of the other Stones.

Date: December 1, 2012 16:11

Interesting, that may well be the case. As for his showcraft, yes that's what I was hinting at, hence the surprise at seeing him so confident and all over the stage on Sunday, a bit less on Thursday it seems based on the videos. I wonder why he doesn't put up more of a show during his own concerts.

By the way the setlist has been posted here : [www.setlist.fm]

Not sure why but I always confused "Secret Affair" with "Special" that great track from his unreleased second album, hope it will come out someday...

--------------

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 1, 2012 18:50

Cadogan Hall is in Sloane Square - not Chelsea.

Saw the Lighning Seeds there a few years back. Odd venue. No alcohol allowed in the actual theatre if I recall correctly.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:06

Paulywaul, always enjoy your posts and was happy to hear this account of Mick Taylor.

I knew Mick and saw him quite a lot with the Stones. He was a brilliant player from the first gig on with the Stones but a troubled person and I am very happy that he now has this opportunity to show the greatness within him.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:00

Big Al

Last time I looked, Sloane Square was still in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:55

paulywaul
latvianinexile

Well, some friends of mine and I were there, as were Beast, Rockman, Manofwealthandtaste, Barking Paul, and no doubt countless other folks off this message board .......... but alas no guests !!

Having said that, it was great to see Mick Taylor play (in all our opinions for the most part) better than he's played in years. We here in London have seen him here and there over the years, and he can be a very erratic performer. When he's either not in good humour or just on general bad form, it's REALLY bad, and I DO mean REALLY bad. Beast, Manofwealthandtaste, and I have between us seen him many good times now over the years, and we were all agreed that yesterday's performance was the best we've ever had from him. Perhaps his reuniting with the Stones has served to reinvigorate him, it would seem so ?

Anyway, nice as it would unquestionably have been to see another Rolling Stone or two on stage with him yesterday, it simply didn't happen. But we did get CYHMK and No Expectations ....

Seen him about 4 times in the last few years and never seen him move like this. it is a shame he didn't have a guest - looked like he was expecting one at times. A much happier guy than the one who played with Ronnie in hammersmith in June

Date: December 2, 2012 11:11

Good to hear. Anyone took pictures ? Was Hamish Stuart there ? Not sure if it's his talent or his stint with the Stones but Mick Taylor's always had quality musicians in his band over the year.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 2, 2012 14:07

monkeymantoo
paulywaul
latvianinexile

Seen him about 4 times in the last few years and never seen him move like this. it is a shame he didn't have a guest - looked like he was expecting one at times. A much happier guy than the one who played with Ronnie in hammersmith in June

I think he was ill on that occasion, he obviously needed that stool he sat on, and comparing that to how he was on Friday ? Well, there is no comparison really, he was just a different man altogether !

He's a very erratic performer though, and most of us will recall that over recent years, he has gone through a phase whereby it seemed like every other show he was booked for subsequently ended up getting cancelled. Maybe he had a run of bad health ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:06

Mick Taylor the day after the second Rolling Stones concert. Live at Cardogan Hall the 30th of November. Playing "No Expectations" and "Can't You Here Me Knocking" ....introducing the last song with the comment "hope to play that song again with the Stones some day....."! - just read it on facebook...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:11

Beast
Big Al

Last time I looked, Sloane Square was still in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.

Yes, and Crayford is in the London Borough of Bexley - doesn't mean it's part of Bexley Village. I was nit-picking, anyway.

Date: December 9, 2012 04:08

Some nice pics on Getty Images, here's one, Hamish Stuart in the back :

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-09 04:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: December 10, 2012 15:19

No Expectations
Sici

Date: December 10, 2012 15:44

Thanks for posting, pretty "pedestrian", for lack of a better word...it's miles and miles away from the soulful version we got at the "mini-trabendo" a month ago :-(

Date: December 10, 2012 15:47

Uninspired

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 16:56

At least he proves he too can play with one finger winking smiley

Date: December 10, 2012 17:03

Why is that relevant? If you can play inspired with one finger, it's a thousand times better than unspired with 11 fingers winking smiley

Date: December 10, 2012 17:09

Don't take it too serious please smiling smiley I like his sound but the song is played to death, I agree on that. Don't forget there are Inspired players that play with 10 fingers- I suppose Jeff Beck saves the 11-th to others..cool smiley

Date: December 10, 2012 17:16

I like the song, but not without the right rhythm, lyrics and feel smiling smiley

You like the phaser sound? Me too thumbs up

Date: December 10, 2012 17:24

DandelionPowderman
I like the song, but not without the right rhythm, lyrics and feel smiling smiley

You like the phaser sound? Me too thumbs up

Ciao.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home