Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: O2 Second Night - Gimme Shelter with Florence Welch Appreciation Thread.
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:05

sjs12
Difficult to compare the voices between the two nights. Maybe Mary J Blige has a technically better voice? However, maybe Florences voice better suits the song?

But performance wise this is streets ahead. No question. Wish I'd gone to the second night too!

I don't really know MJ Blige but everyone raves about her. All I'll say is I was slightly underwhelmed by her performance on the night, but then maybe she just doesn't have the stage presence.

Mary J was also fighting a sound problem - I think her mike cut out completely at one point. Watch the video carefully.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:05

She squealed a lot (far too much for my taste) confused smiley but the way she improvised the call-and-response thing in her vocal parts at the end of the song is simply stunning. thumbs up
Even Mick and Keith seemed impressed...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:08

Yeah, nice video, sounds great, but this chick in red kept jumping up and down and blocking my view of keith playing guitar.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:14

Roll73
Sorry - I know this is an 'appreciation thread' but I was there and thought she was bloody awful. When she first came out it looked like she was going to attack Mick, then she proceeded to shout and scream her way through the whole song. Would much rather have had Lisa Fischer do it.

Apart from that though, the whole gig was magic from start to finish!

I have to agreed with you, think she did a bit of too much in his thing.
Very good voice and good dance at the end, but Lisa is still my favorite.

HMN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:31

Honestman
Roll73
Sorry - I know this is an 'appreciation thread' but I was there and thought she was bloody awful. When she first came out it looked like she was going to attack Mick, then she proceeded to shout and scream her way through the whole song. Would much rather have had Lisa Fischer do it.

I have to agreed with you, think she did a bit of too much in his thing.
Very good voice and good dance at the end, but Lisa is still my favorite.

Yeah, very good version but I agree bring back Lisa. I wonder what Merry Clayton would sound like today with them?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:17

I thought she seemed a little klutzy. At one point, Mick actually had to direct her to turn and sing to the audience instead of to him. I like her, though. I caught one of the handful of shows she opened for U2 last year and thought she did very well.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:30

Both Keith and Ronnie playing concentrated all the time, no posing. It was unbelievable grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:45

OK, I think this was oversold...it was good no doubt, and I certainly loved the chemistry but this not better than the Lisa Fischer versions or even the studio version.

Not putting it down, I thoroughly enjoyed it but after reading the reviews I was expecting the second coming.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:39

treaclefingers
OK, I think this was oversold...it was good no doubt, and I certainly loved the chemistry but this not better than the Lisa Fischer versions or even the studio version.

Not putting it down, I thoroughly enjoyed it but after reading the reviews I was expecting the second coming.

Hang on. The second coming of Florence may be in Brooklyn...then you will see

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:49

not for me to be honest but liked the energy

Date: December 1, 2012 05:49

Munichhilton
treaclefingers

Hang on. The second coming of Florence may be in Brooklyn...then you will see

I will stand corrected, or something.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: December 1, 2012 08:02

I thought it was a wonderful version. Raw, yes, but that's the Stones.

I actually downloaded her latest today, and I'm happy I did.

Have we all forgotten that the Stones like to take chances with new artists. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This time it worked out just fine.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 1, 2012 09:59

tatters
I thought she seemed a little klutzy. At one point, Mick actually had to direct her to turn and sing to the audience instead of to him. I like her, though. I caught one of the handful of shows she opened for U2 last year and thought she did very well.

She suffers from dyspraxia, I think.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 10:08

treaclefingers

Nothing will top the studio version.

But come on.... this performance has some magic in it... yeah it's not on a Lisa level vocally...it's rawer and rougher and raggedier and brilliant.

I love the 60s/70s rock chick vibe.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 1, 2012 12:59

I don't think it's fair to compare FLorence with Lisa...completely different types of singers...and also Lisa gets at least a month before a tour to practice and then 18 months to 2 years on the road singing it every night, which she has done since way back in the 90's. Florence has one shot and probably didn;t get to even practive it with the band.

There is no doubt Lisa has a much wider ranger and can hit the high notes that FLorence can't but this was all about the performance and the way she owned the stage (and Jagger!). It was raw, emotion filled and energy driven - exactly what is needed for Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:30

I thought it looked weird.

I half expected her to get a whip out and start whipping Mick, although he'd probably have enjoyed it.

The singing was ok but overpowering and missed the Gospel thing a bit IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 14:32 by howled.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:29

It lacked the soulful delivery, IMO. Prefer Mary J. Blige on this one.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:39

Roll73

Totally agree. Bring back Lisa.

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:58

It's just a shout away......

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 16:02

What a GREAT version! Not only Florence, but Keith was actually playing well. Nice to see some passion on-stage. Lisa has a great range but adds nothing to the fire of that song. Killer version. Of the songs I have heard from the 2 shows, this is the first one that actually had me thinking that ponying up $200 for a ticket would be worth it. Outstanding.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:34

GravityBoy
treaclefingers

Nothing will top the studio version.

But come on.... this performance has some magic in it... yeah it's not on a Lisa level vocally...it's rawer and rougher and raggedier and brilliant.

I love the 60s/70s rock chick vibe.

Yes, loved this version, & nice to have a 'different version'. My only point is that some of the comments 'oversold' it a bit.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 1, 2012 18:46

with all respect to Lisa, this was fantastic, Much, much better than Mary J. Bleige too (obviously). She really channeled the energy and tension of this song; in other words, she 'gets it". AWESOME JOB FLORENCE! Hopefully you've gained some appreciation from this and that people know that you deserve your recognition above the "faceless crowd of unimportant indie musicians" as someone put it here a few days before the show. I hope they're eating the same Icrow that I am about The Stones themselves!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:00

I like it very much. But to compare it to the great studio version is unfair. The original recording are untouchable in every department. It has everything of what The Rolling Stones are all about.

Florence are great though, not so much because of her voice, but because she owns the stage and her interplay with Jagger are simply mindblowing.

My personal favourite live version are the one from the Stripped concerts, which appeared on the Wild Horses cd single and Saint Of Me cd single.

Date: December 1, 2012 21:51

I never thought I would like this version, let alone love it. In fact after first watching the videos I hated it. I never really liked any of the the Gimme Shelter duets I know, so I didn't expect much before watching anyway. As somebody said, she attacked Mick, and her aggressiveness bewildered me and I thought "how stagy and exaggerated". The next day I just listened to the video, without watching, and I realized how great it sounds, her voice fits very well. When I watched it again, I started to see the funny aspects and the great energy and chemistry of the 'duelling' Mick and Florence. She is mirroring Mick and playing an equal part, challenging him, chasing him. She doesn't play the "I'm so sexy and I'm feeling turned on and seduced by Mick" card, Lisa or other female partners often play and which I find quite boring and often annoying. Florence was wild, playful and on fire and it was nevertheless a sexy performance.

And - since most talk here is about Florence - I want to mention, that I found Mick's singing quite convincing again, too! Often he sang this cringe-worthy in later years. This time he goes deeper vocally, is rarely nasal (his second verse starts not that good) and I very much like the first "Love, sister" line and "It's just a kiss away"s. They are done with much feeling.

This is for me loud, energetic and dynamic, but it is singing and not shouting by both to my ears. Recent performances I often found to be dumb shouting underlined by what I already called a boring, predictable 'wannabe-sexy' stage show.

And I like Keith's playing except for some little bloopers (in the solo, which is a little too uneven partly) and the whole band. It sounds tight and dark.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:01

StrawberriesBlueberries
I never thought I would like this version, let alone love it. In fact after first watching the videos I hated it. I never really liked any of the the Gimme Shelter duets I know, so I didn't expect much before watching anyway. As somebody said, she attacked Mick, and her aggressiveness bewildered me and I thought "how stagy and exaggerated". The next day I just listened to the video, without watching, and I realized how great it sounds, her voice fits very well. When I watched it again, I started to see the funny aspects and the great energy and chemistry of the 'duelling' Mick and Florence. She is mirroring Mick and playing an equal part, challenging him, chasing him. She doesn't play the "I'm so sexy and I'm feeling turned on and seduced by Mick" card, Lisa or other female partners often play and which I find quite boring and often annoying. Florence was wild, playful and on fire and it was nevertheless a sexy performance.

And - since most talk here is about Florence - I want to mention, that I found Mick's singing quite convincing again, too! Often he sang this cringe-worthy in later years. This time he goes deeper vocally, is rarely nasal (his second verse starts not that good) and I very much like the first "Love, sister" line and "It's just a kiss away"s. They are done with much feeling.

This is for me loud, energetic and dynamic, but it is singing and not shouting by both to my ears. Recent performances I often found to be dumb shouting underlined by what I already called a boring, predictable 'wannabe-sexy' stage show.

And I like Keith's playing except for some little bloopers (in the solo, which is a little too uneven partly) and the whole band. It sounds tight and dark.

could not agree more

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:21

Max'sKansasCity
JumpingKentFlash

Mighty God in heaven. This version is the best I've ever heard. Florence Welch really does the song justice. I've always loved Lisa Fischer's take on it and I've long thought it would be hard to beat. That happened yesterday evening. Welch simply does an outstanding job on it, and I'm close to tears when she does the solo bit. Really a great, great version.

RELEASE IT AS A SINGLE ON iTUNES LADS!!!!!!!!

ME LIKES!!! ME LIKES A LOT!!! GOOD RED!!!!

This just keeps getting better and better. It's like new life has been breathed into this song. And great to see Mick put on his backfoot by an extremely confident young lass.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:42

Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity
JumpingKentFlash

Mighty God in heaven. This version is the best I've ever heard. Florence Welch really does the song justice. I've always loved Lisa Fischer's take on it and I've long thought it would be hard to beat. That happened yesterday evening. Welch simply does an outstanding job on it, and I'm close to tears when she does the solo bit. Really a great, great version.

RELEASE IT AS A SINGLE ON iTUNES LADS!!!!!!!!

ME LIKES!!! ME LIKES A LOT!!! GOOD RED!!!!

This just keeps getting better and better. It's like new life has been breathed into this song. And great to see Mick put on his backfoot by an extremely confident young lass.
smileys with beer The back forth was awesome.... I get the feeling Mick said BRING IT ON!! And she did.

Best part of these guests is I dont think there is any record company BS going on... I think it is honestly just the boys ( boys?... LOL ) bringing on people whom they like and respect and they think can do a good job.... but I could be wrong.... rose colored glasses are awesome.... rose colored hair even more so.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:33

I think she did a great job on this song....although it looks like she got a bit too enthusiastic grinning smiley

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:56

It seems like I am the only one who does not like it. Lisa is a way better singer technically, she has the better voice, a wider range and shows more musicality. She is singing harmonics where Florence Welch is just doubling Micks notes.

Look at this version

This is at least ten times better than what Florence Welch did

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:15

Yes Lisa is maybe the best choice for GS, but we heard her for the last two decades so I'm glad they changed that

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home