Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

U2 POSTPHONING TOUR!!!!!
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 6, 2005 23:17

The postphoning is caused by serious illness in one of the U2 bandmember's family. That's bad of course. But the question is: Will this affect the Stones' tour plans???

JumpingKentFlash

Re: U2 POSTPHONING TOUR!!!!!
Posted by: bartman ()
Date: January 7, 2005 00:02

are you serious?? Is it confirmed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-07 12:34 by bartman.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 7, 2005 00:04

why U2 tour postoped have affect with Stones ???

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 7, 2005 00:05

its only postponed for a couple of weeks
it will not affect the stones plans

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2005 00:16

Tomekpoland23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why U2 tour postoped have affect with Stones ???

because they share many of the same crew

The news is on www.rollingstone.com

From what I understand, they tenatively plan to start the American leg of their tour mid-April instead of March 1st.

Date: January 7, 2005 00:20

And also check the top stories here: [www.google.dk]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 7, 2005 04:02

IMHO U2 lost it long ago.
And the new album's already dropping
ogg the charts before they hit the road.
They should get out of the way and let the
Stones show everybody how it's done.
Long live the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 7, 2005 05:59

bravo davido. Watch how quick they sell out and the next time they are on the cover of Forbes Magazine.

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: January 7, 2005 09:45

It is not the tour that is postponed but the announcement of the tour.
Here is what I found on u2.com :

Happy New Year to all U2.Com readers! With the New Year comes more info on the tour announcement.

Rest assured that U2.Com will be letting you know all the details and dates for the 2005 U2 tour as soon as they're available.

The tour announcement has been put back, as Paul McGuinness, U2's manager, explained.

'We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on. As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know.'

keep rollin'

Date: January 7, 2005 12:27

No - the tour start has also been postponed, and the reason is not because of the "routing".

That information is either out of date or deliberately inaccurate (presumably because they intended the real reasons to remain private)

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: January 7, 2005 12:49

>IMHO U2 lost it long ago.
And the new album's already dropping
ogg the charts before they hit the road.

Well, what are you actually referring to? In terms of album sales, it is actually the Stones who haven't done much on the charts in the past decade. Remember how fast Bridges fell off the Billboard? And Eminem's new album easily outsold Forty Licks in just a few weeks. I think the Stones could take a page from U2 in terms of how to promote an album as it seems U2, not the Stones, is the one with the magic in this department. If the Glimmer Twins don't pull off something better this go around, I think they will have effectively cemented the group's reputation as a nostalgia/oldies act. Sad. But if Rod Stewart can reinvent himself and top the charts with retreads, there is surely hope for just about anyone.

But if you were referrring to selling out concerts and putting on a real show, I would agree with you. As concert tickets have hit ridiculuous levels and many of those people who pack the stands in the stadiums are but casual fans, I think many of those people would end up having to choose between the Stones and U2 if they toured at roughly the same time. I would speculate the majority would choose the Stones, if for nothing else the odds are decent that this could be their last time out.

Date: January 7, 2005 12:52

Davido: I agree. But the question in hand is if it will affect The Stones plans.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: January 7, 2005 12:57

>In terms of album sales, it is actually the Stones who haven't done much on the charts in the past decade.

Forgot to add that the majority of the music market is people between the age of 12 and 25. U2 still appeals here whereas the Stones have not for many a year. That was not the case, however, when they introduced Voodoo Lounge, the last album to bring in a whole generation of fans. From the Love is Strong video, to the jagged sounds, to the album art, it was just plain cool and young people bought it up. The Stones don't need another Voodoo, just something with a badass appeal. Otherwise just watch them enter the charts at #2 or #3 again only to fall off in a few weeks.

Posted by: RvO-NL-1 ()
Date: January 7, 2005 13:31

U2 have apparently postponed dates for their world tour that was due to kick off in Miami in March 1st.

Reported by Rolling Stone magazine, the tour is currently in a state of "total flux" following a family illness.

Dates and sale details for the mammoth tour - in support of their current album "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" - were due to be announced this month, but those plans have now been delayed.

However, the band, which is nominated for three Grammys for the single "Vertigo", still intends to play the February 13th awards ceremony in Los Angeles and to attend its induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on March 14th in New York.

U2's manager Paul McGuiness previously announced that the band intended to play 115 shows throughout 2005.

In a statement posted on U2.com in December, he confirmed that the tour would move from the US to Europe, before returning to the US and concluding in Japan and Australia.

Subscribers to the band's website will be given the opportunity to buy tickets before the general public.

According to longtime tour designer Willie Williams, the tour's stage and video screens are already in the process of being built.

He told Rolling Stone: "We are developing some new technologies to deliver visual content."

U2's last world tour, in support of "All That You Can't Leave Behind", made them the top-grossing act of 2001.

SOURCE: Click here for the artikle on Rolling Stone . com (da magazine)

The main question still is here in what way will this affect possible Rolling Stones touring plans for 2005 and beyond ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Cheers RvO-NL

StonesForum.nl

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 7, 2005 13:36

Big pricey concerts by superstar bands has
reached the saturation point. With less competition
for ticket dollars, especially amongst the younger less affluent
fans, I should think the Stones should release their new album
and hit the road with it asap.......................

Date: January 7, 2005 13:53

That's agreed 100% Davido. And for @#$%&'s sake keep the ticket prices at a minimum.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 7, 2005 15:48

>The main question still is here in what way will this affect possible Rolling Stones touring plans for 2005 and beyond ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

like I said, they share a lot of the same crew - so they dont tend to play in the same market at the same time. If U2's tour was to be significantly delayed, that might present a logistical problem.

Plus, if they were to tour extensively in the US in autumn 2005, it would coincide with a Stones tour there. Therefore, some people with a limit on the amount of money they wish to spend on tickets, may end up going to see one of them instead of both.

Maybe the Stones will reduce their prices to make things easier, although as they dont really care about a younger market, I seriously doubt they will

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: January 7, 2005 19:01

gazza is correct. you never see two big name groups going out at the same time at least not lately.. the market is too weak and the audience is too young to afford the ticket prices...as far as lowering ticket prices ... i would like to see an end to ticket broakers who somehow buy up all these tickets and then ADD $100 to each one. There is no fair or easy way to see them sometimes and that's frustating....

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: January 7, 2005 19:23

This is all very interesting to me. As I reported before (& some people told me to keep my rumors to myself...), the Stones were going to start touring in March & U2 would be after that (as well as AC/DC & Annie Lennox). It seems the Stones & U2 flip-flopped that March start date. Good to know my source seemed to know what they were talking about...but the later start date works MUCH better for my finances.

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: January 7, 2005 19:59

The stones and U2 can't tour at the same time because Dave Rouze, world's best tech, tours with them both.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 7, 2005 22:46

JamesBurton it is true the last time the Stones reached new (younger) fans w/new music may have been VL, but they were already in their 50s 10 years ago & recording since 1963 - & you couldn't wait 2 or three years between albums in the sixties. 40 Lix was a big success sales-wise, & B2B wasnt too shabby either, reaching #3 & spending 27 weeks on the (US) album chart. It is almost inevitable that fewer kids will be into a band that's been together & hugely successful for 42 years. Trying to reach 'the kids' is what led to the weaker songs (collaborations w/hot young names) on Goddess.

Date: January 7, 2005 23:43

jigsawpuzzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The stones and U2 can't tour at the same time
> because Dave Rouze, world's best tech, tours with
> them both.

but they WILL be. U2's tour will still be going by the time the Stones' one kicks off.

U2 are scheduled to tour until the end of the year, and that is supposedly going to include SOME US dates late in the year, which would actually cross slightly into the same market as the Stones tour at the same time.

Maybe this guy is going to choose between one and the other at some point.

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: January 8, 2005 17:40

Dave came up with the Stones when Bill left. He started as bassline tech I believe. He had worked with Mick on Mick's solo tour previous and Mick put him onto the Stones. He's been there since 94. VL. You can see him on the dvd's etc. He hands Mick his guitar. His credit appears on every released Stones work since 94. I don't see anyway he'd leave the Stones.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 8, 2005 17:53

I am sure Mick wants to see all the good and bad ideas U2 are using this time. Like the egg that kept them stuck inside when they played in Norway during the egg tour or may be it was the k-mart or pop mart or something tour. I did actually see that show. Don't make me wrong, I like U2 a lot, but it's a very different show. And there is no problem having U2 touring in Europe while the Stones tour South America etc.

Bjornulf

Date: January 8, 2005 21:59

LOL. Bjornulf, I think that happened just that one time. It would have been during the Popmart tour.

Its a bit like the time in Germany on the Urban Jungle tour when Mick was up in that crane high above the stage and his mic failed as he was about to start singing "Sympathy for the Devil", so he was suspended about 60 feet above the stage with just the crane operator and a dead mic for company. By all accounts, the descent was made in stony silence with Mick seriously pissed off and quietly fuming

Date: January 8, 2005 22:17

It was Hannover right???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 9, 2005 01:07

I'd need to get the tapes out to be sure, kent, but it was one of the german shows at the beginning of that tour - Hannover or Frankfurt. I think you're right in saying it was Hannover, however.

Date: January 9, 2005 01:38

Yeah. I think it was Hannover 'cause I talked to a Dane over a Danish general rock forum (on www.dr.dk/rock). He said he attended that concert and would love to get it. He said it was very magical. The Stones did a mediocre show up until SFTD when the problem came. The rest of the band had to jam SFTD until Mick could come down and get a new mic. He said they jammed SFTD for a long time and from that point on they were on fire for the rest of the evening.
I'm not sure he remembers it correctly. 'Cause I know that it's on 2 different CD boots and two different DVD boots (Amateur shot....not good quality) and none of the traders I talked to said they jammed for a long time.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home