Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No expectations 1973
Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 13, 2005 14:34

yeah it's tough to tell, but "Drippin Honey" definately sounded brighter !

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 13, 2005 14:41

Thanks a lot guys, for the detailed information! Not that you made it much easier..

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 13, 2005 14:44

Btw, I listened to Mobile last night (with a version of MR out of this world) and if any of these releases is better than that I will be more than satisfied!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 13, 2005 14:46

Mobile is maybe the better show of these two, but the sound is poor, unfortunately.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 13, 2005 14:46

I think it's a bit better than Mobile in performance and way better in sound quality!

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 15, 2005 03:21

Esky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer "Drippin" as it could be from a better
> gen. source tape as it is a more "recent" release
> from VGP.

That is correct. "Drippin´ Honey" is a REAL upgrade because it is taken from a lower gen. source. A master clone of this recording was surfaced through trading circles in 2002 and VGP used it for their "Drippin´ Honey" release. This is the reason why it sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better than "Bring It Back Alive".

Unfortunately, the missing parts of the show (Brown Sugar, the first half of Bitch and the beginning of Midnight Rambler) were not recorded.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 16, 2005 21:58

of course no one mentions indianapolis 72 which totally stinks---you can;t even tell if it was a good performance or not, the quality is so bad ---i stand by my original review in SF 7 or 8 tears ago----too bad, indianapolis seems to be a hard place to get recordings from----89 show just surfaced a few months ago after 15 years, and no tapes from 94 gig yet (good show too)....wonder why??....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: April 20, 2009 12:17

Agreed with Potted Shrimp. They should have made it a regulair during that tour. Taylor at his best!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2009 20:33

I agree with Mathjis and Menace of Mayfair : the 1st thing that hits you is the sloppy playing. They really sound rusted, when compared to what they did in 72 and what they're about to do in 73.
And I'd love to hear a COMPLETE tape of the show, with MR.
I cannot believe there was, out of 18000 people, only ONE taper (the guy who worked for TMOQ).
Hendrix's 1970 L.A. Forum show generated no less than THREE tapes (OK 3 average tapes, but you get my point) winking smiley

Date: April 20, 2009 20:39

RE Charlotte there is a torrent out there on Dime that offers a recent transfert of the master tape. Sure beats all previous boot editions. It contains no new music (=same cuts as before) but it sure sounds good thumbs up

Comment by the poster :
"This is generally considered to be the best audience recording of the Rolling Stones 1972 US Tour. It's been on numerous bootlegs since shortly after the concert. This is supposedly from the master tape. Lineage given is Aiwa mics->Marantz Superscope cassette recorder->cassette master->CDR1->CDR2->CDR3."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-20 20:42 by dcba.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: April 20, 2009 20:51

So could there be a sound board of this show? There was a 30 sec video on Utube recently.

Date: April 20, 2009 23:18

anybody have VGP's Alabama Jubilee - the '72 Mobile show? Just wondering how that sounds

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2009 23:48

Insignificant but,Keith plays MRambler on the 7th fret,B-Major:

[web.forret.com]

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 01:23

I love the nicaraguan benefit show, mistakes and all. Mainly for the rarity of the show, especially the song selection ie RT 66, It's All Over Now, No Expectations. One of my first bootlegs I bought while away at college in 1977.

"Vintage, definately vintage, but a bit rusty that one, and no band is worth hundred bucks really, even if charlies seat went a hundred feet in the air, he's a bit chicken, but a good drummer though"

And the vinyl is much better than the CD, and I know of no other source for it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 19:29

It is a relaxed, slowly paced show, but it is the band playing music rather than performing it. I often ponder what people mean by "exciting" or "energetic." Speed and power chords can be the cheapest form of excitement that I actually find numbing. And I can find a gentle Taylor solo thrilling.

Anyone have a problem with the YCAGWYW, DF, SCB portion of this show? No Expectations has been mentioned. The five closing songs and the encore turned up the juice. It is show of wonderful moments. When a band can deliver THOSE noting the blemishes is quibbling.

I remember sitting back and thoroughly enjoying this show. It reminded me of the '69 show I saw in the same building. That show too felt like a patient, relaxed affair. And I found both shows "exciting."

And, yes, MR was played as an encore. The taper probably ran out of tape.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 21, 2009 19:48

Yes Matthijs, for gods sake...it´s the 7th...Therefore, they probably DIDN`T play MR!!!hot smiley

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 21, 2009 23:11

pmk251
And, yes, MR was played as an encore.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: April 22, 2009 00:04

Back to Taylor's guitar playing of this particular tune: I believe it's the only time he performed it live with the Stones. AND he's playing slide in Standard tuning (rather than open). While the song is a bit off in places, Taylor's slide is really beautiful - lot's of soul.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 22, 2009 00:08

mccparty
I believe it's the only time he performed it live with the Stones.

Hyde Park as well

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 22, 2009 00:14

dcba
RE Charlotte there is a torrent out there on Dime that offers a recent transfert of the master tape. Sure beats all previous boot editions. It contains no new music (=same cuts as before) but it sure sounds good thumbs up

Comment by the poster :
"This is generally considered to be the best audience recording of the Rolling Stones 1972 US Tour. It's been on numerous bootlegs since shortly after the concert. This is supposedly from the master tape. Lineage given is Aiwa mics->Marantz Superscope cassette recorder->cassette master->CDR1->CDR2->CDR3."

I can't seem to find this one on dime, can anybody provide a link?
Cheers!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2009 00:34

vudicus
dcba

Comment by the poster :

I can't seem to find this one on dime, can anybody provide a link?
Cheers!

No seeders, it seems - but I've just jumped on it, to help you out

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-22 01:37 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 22, 2009 14:10

Thank you Eric, much appreciated!

Date: April 22, 2009 22:44

Mr BT/Snow you're a true gentleman thumbs up
And no I'm not torrenting this one winking smiley

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 23, 2009 00:56

<<Anyone have a problem with the YCAGWYW, DF, SCB portion of this show?>>

Not me. I think it's a fine show judged on it's own terms.

Not much to add to what's been said about Taylor's slide solos on No Expectations. Just a shame that Nicky's only audible here and there.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: April 23, 2009 03:29

Everyone here is bickering about how the Stones sounded in 1972. Well at least you all got to got see the shows in your city or hometown. In New Orleans LA we hadn't had a Stones show here since 1994. They did not tour in our area for the Bridges to Babylon tour, the 1999-2000 tour the Licks tour or A Bigger Bang tour.
You all were lucky if you got to see all these tours, I had to settle for the DVD's of the Tours.
I wish I could have seen them live. They would have come in 2005 if we didn't have such a disaster with Hurricane Katrina. We had not had the Stones in New Orleans since. You all are lucky if you got to see them live.
New Orleans had them for 1981, 1989, and 1994 and that was all.
Very disappointed. Hopefully they won't forget us if they tour again.
I don't live in New Orleans but I am close enough to get to go to the Stones shows if they tour there. My opinion.
drummer_dude

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: April 23, 2009 09:46

drummer_dude
Everyone here is bickering about how the Stones sounded in 1972. Well at least you all got to got see the shows in your city or hometown. In New Orleans LA we hadn't had a Stones show here since 1994. They did not tour in our area for the Bridges to Babylon tour, the 1999-2000 tour the Licks tour or A Bigger Bang tour.
You all were lucky if you got to see all these tours, I had to settle for the DVD's of the Tours.
I wish I could have seen them live. They would have come in 2005 if we didn't have such a disaster with Hurricane Katrina. We had not had the Stones in New Orleans since. You all are lucky if you got to see them live.
New Orleans had them for 1981, 1989, and 1994 and that was all.
Very disappointed. Hopefully they won't forget us if they tour again.
I don't live in New Orleans but I am close enough to get to go to the Stones shows if they tour there. My opinion.
drummer_dude

Just a BIT OT.....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home