Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones Have An "Unspoken Line" - Did Chuck Cross It Here?
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:26

flacnvinyl
"The bottom line is that, only having a limited number of shows, obviously we're not gonna go crazy with swapping around songs in the set list," says Leavell. "In other words, we don't want to go too too deep at this juncture."

No balls. Got it.

..Deep??....barely scratched the 50 year old surface....at what juncture exactly will they decide to 'go deep'?...60 licks?..

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:30

MrMonte
I'm most definitely not an apologist for the Stones machine and all. But what I think - honestly - that Chuck was trying to say was, "everyone in the band is into it and having fun, and offering ideas. I can't remember the last time Ronnie and Charlie were so into it and were offering suggestions like they are now."

I know this sounds silly, and I'm not a particular fan or detractor of Chuck's, but I really do think that's what he was getting at.

It doesn't sound silly, reread the quote and it makes more sense than the othe meaning -- that the first thing he said was to rip Charlie and Woody. I am a detractor of Chuck. I like when you can't hear him. But I think he meant what you said here. Of course, the whole point is silly -- like it involved some intense thought to come up with the setlist.

Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: November 27, 2012 05:25

Did you notice in the "Get Off My Cloud" video that Mick looked at/interacted with Chuck a lot at the start of the tune...I think he might have had some issues with the key...something sounded off for the first few lines...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:04

Rokyfan
MrMonte
I'm most definitely not an apologist for the Stones machine and all. But what I think - honestly - that Chuck was trying to say was, "everyone in the band is into it and having fun, and offering ideas. I can't remember the last time Ronnie and Charlie were so into it and were offering suggestions like they are now."

I know this sounds silly, and I'm not a particular fan or detractor of Chuck's, but I really do think that's what he was getting at.

It doesn't sound silly, reread the quote and it makes more sense than the othe meaning -- that the first thing he said was to rip Charlie and Woody. I am a detractor of Chuck. I like when you can't hear him. But I think he meant what you said here. Of course, the whole point is silly -- like it involved some intense thought to come up with the setlist.

Yes, I concur. Because the last time Charlie offered a suggestion, as is now well known, was for The Stones to perform in a stripped down version--earlier this year.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:01

Cocaine Eyes
Dan
What line was crossed?

The line I've underlined in the article.

And for those who are insiders, we all know what we are able to say and what must be left silent.

OK? cool smiley

Oops. Brenda is not amused: that's my guess. And I think KR is about to send this guy home.
I think this one "...and know they depend on me" is even worse actually.
He went too far I think. True, there are things you don't say. The Stones omerta smoking smiley

Chuck just so much wants to be part of the band. For years he has this attitude, this longing for acknowledgement by his constant pleasing them so much. Okay they played with that a little; the not always so nice side of the Stones. Like a political minefield.
But his need has now went from irritating to alarming.
Maybe Chucky will not appear in the sequel...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:10

didnt realize organizing setlists was such a big deal.

i would do it for a small fee, if the band tour again, and ofcourse i would listen to the opinions of the people who mattered, the fans.

get back to me mick if you think i can handle this task and we can meet up for beers in london.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:30

buttons67
didnt realize organizing setlists was such a big deal.

i would do it for a small fee, if the band tour again, and ofcourse i would listen to the opinions of the people who mattered, the fans.

get back to me mick if you think i can handle this task and we can meet up for beers in london.

Judging from his waistline, I don't think Mick has had a beer in 40 years.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:33

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
Dan
What line was crossed?

And for those who are insiders, we all know what we are able to say and what must be left silent.

OK? cool smiley

Oops. Brenda is not amused: that's my guess. And I think KR is about to send this guy home.
He went too far I think. True, there are things you don't say. The Stones omerta smoking smiley

Chuck just so much wants to be part of the band. For years he has this attitude, this longing for acknowledgement by his constant pleasing them so much. Okay they played with that a little; the not always so nice side of the Stones. Like a political minefield.

I think after 30 years with the band, nothing is going to matter at this point - like him or not, he ain't goin' anywhere. When it comes to the live act the past 25 years, the Stones are more about comfort and familiarty than anything else.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:33

Someone needs to have a sit down with Chuck...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 29, 2012 19:00

I am sure that Chuck is a great guy and all, but I am absolutely against him becoming increasingly more and more like the band's official spokesperson.

Memo to the press: Quit asking this guy questions.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 19:01

Kurt
I am sure that Chuck is a great guy and all, but I am absolutely against him becoming increasingly more and more like the band's official spokesperson.

Memo to the press: Quit asking this guy questions.

We can thank him a lot.

Date: November 29, 2012 19:20

Jah Paul
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
Dan
What line was crossed?

OK? cool smiley

I think after 30 years with the band, nothing is going to matter at this point - like him or not, he ain't goin' anywhere. When it comes to the live act the past 25 years, the Stones are more about comfort and familiarty than anything else.

Oh yes comfort and familiarity are very important to the Stones as well.
But you feel a lot less comfortable when loyalty is forgotten by very familiar people from the inner circle of the band. Or responsibility.
Especially with the rivalry between MJ and KR you should know that those values are very important so you should have diplomatic skills now and then. You don't wanna wake up and feel like you walk in the minefield.
I wonder how KR will react to all this. From a strategical point of view maybe he will leave it to MJ to solve this one. With just a little suggestion...
I'm glad I'm not as close as I was; always hated things like this but now I can laugh about it. They are all nice guys but really not all the time!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: November 29, 2012 19:48

I dont think there will be any reaction to anything said in this interview from MJ, KR, or anyone else.

I think we are reading way to much into this.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 29, 2012 20:03

Ah, here we go again with the boring Chuck-bashing. The guy is talented, loved and respected by the band and undeniably an asset to their sound. I listened to HTW on You Tube and he was great with his solo. Tasty, not overdone!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 29, 2012 20:13

I doubt they will ditch him, he's been around too long. I never understood why they brought him in in the begining, his playing style has never fitted in with the Stones and this role as musical director is just ridiculous. As for his comments, well he clearly thinks that without him the Stones couldn't function...arrogance or ignorance or both.

Sure he can play well but it's not about technical ability, it's about feel with a band like the Stones, and he very clearly has never had feel. Nicky Hopkins was perfect, Mac was also in the right groove. Chuck Leavell will never come anywhere near those guys, he kills the feel as soon as he starts plinkty plonking. He also looks like a gay hairdresser, which is a great look in the right place, that place is not in the Stones. We're stuck with him, but I hope Jagger tells him what a twat he's been.

Date: November 29, 2012 20:16

crumbling_mice
I doubt they will ditch him, he's been around too long. I never understood why they brought him in in the begining, his playing style has never fitted in with the Stones and this role as musical director is just ridiculous. As for his comments, well he clearly thinks that without him the Stones couldn't function...arrogance or ignorance or both.

Sure he can play well but it's not about technical ability, it's about feel with a band like the Stones, and he very clearly has never had feel. Nicky Hopkins was perfect, Mac was also in the right groove. Chuck Leavell will never come anywhere near those guys, he kills the feel as soon as he starts plinkty plonking. He also looks like a gay hairdresser, which is a great look in the right place, that place is not in the Stones. We're stuck with him, but I hope Jagger tells him what a twat he's been.

He also looks like a gay hairdresser, >grinning smiley<

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 29, 2012 20:35

The worst change EVER made to HTW live in my opinion was adding the piano solo..(maybe if Stu was still here to do it that would be cool but..)..it makes the song too long and damages the flow of it. HTW is PERFECT just as it stands on the single...

Date: November 29, 2012 21:07

This could be a trace, a sign (weak, faint, dim....) that he is a aware of the constant on line bashing by a lot of fans. He seemingly is answering: "Mick trusts me. If other members did their job I would not be so involved."...

Date: November 29, 2012 21:13

scottkeef
The worst change EVER made to HTW live in my opinion was adding the piano solo..(maybe if Stu was still here to do it that would be cool but..)..it makes the song too long and damages the flow of it. HTW is PERFECT just as it stands on the single...

I totally agree with that!

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 29, 2012 21:24

I'm wondering how many people here actually know how the setlist sign-off works.

Well, here it is:

1. The setlist is written up (by someone......now, it's Chuck).

2. The list is sent to each member of the Stones to sign beside each song in order to give their 'OK' for that tune. This is done just prior to showtime, nightly.

3, The last two members to sign off are Mick and then finally Keith.

4. After that, the setlist is given the go-ahead by all and handed back to Chuck, the roadies, the assistants, the back-up people, etc.

What I'm trying to show here is that the setlist is a VERY BIG DEAL to the Stones for EVERY show.

smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 29, 2012 21:33

Cocaine Eyes
I'm wondering how many people here actually know how the setlist sign-off works.

Well, here it is:

2. The list is sent to each member of the Stones to sign beside each song in order to give their 'OK' for that tune. This is done just prior to showtime, nightly.

4. After that, the setlist is given the go-ahead by all and handed back to Chuck, the roadies, the assistants, the back-up people, etc.

What I'm trying to show here is that the setlist is a VERY BIG DEAL to the Stones for EVERY show.

smoking smiley

Wow...I knew it was important but didn't know it was left until so late to be signed off, or that there were so manyhoope to jump through to get to the final list.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 29, 2012 21:40

It's left so late for the sign-off in order for the setlist to NOT be leaked to the press, a fan board such as this one, for superstition, and to make certain all Stones are OK with what they're about to play on stage.

In the past, someone (I cannot say who) handed off the setlist to a fan site person. That happens no longer.......

Date: November 29, 2012 21:44

crumbling_mice

All true . . . there's no issue here, they're not ditching him.

Thankfully, from what I have heard he is down in the mix. That's all we can ask for.

Date: November 29, 2012 21:46

Cocaine Eyes

Well, here it is:

smoking smiley

Wait a minute, you left out the part where they show it to you.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 29, 2012 21:54

Much ado about nothing.

I personally think we all owe Steve Jordan a big thank you for working with Keith - it obviously paid off.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 29, 2012 22:00

Cocaine Eyes
Dan
What line was crossed?

OK? cool smiley

Enough with Chuck's setlist - Charlie and Ronnie wanted other songs then the same old same old setlist. That line was crossed. Next line to be crossed is when Chuck steps out of the band and other Keyboard player comes in and we are over listening to "one, two, one, two, three"

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: November 29, 2012 22:15

Well I suspected this ought to get the Chuck hating Brits enraged. I thought once we got into this week, people would settle down and enjoy what will be a period of time that will be reflected on long after we're long gone.

But if anything the nuts have escaped their cages and are all over the IORR family.

This gem was bound to crop up. Post a slanted perspective from the piano player taken out of context while at one of his shows. Hardly fair.

Must be related to the growing group that is now all over this Rick Wakerman foolishness. Obviously you folks are blinded by your dry British wit and are way out classed at the subtlety of the picture and post this week.

Go back and read the string and the responses after. The poster is obviously has an intellectual awareness, rarely seen here. He also knew exactly what he was doing when he started this whole Carney show.

Pleas folks settle down before rowing across the pond. The New York area especially Brooklyn is usually not kind to neophyte wooden nickel buyers.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home