Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Stones 2012 London setlist discussion
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:07

mjmjr
official set list had lady jane and satisfaction, probably omitted since they started 40 minutes late

Not correct: Lady Jane yes, should be no 7 but Satisfaction was not on the set list.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:07

according to rs.com it was to be the final #

Date: November 26, 2012 02:08

andy js
Looks more than solid to me. You also have to factor in, the vast MAJORITY of people attending gigs don't want obscure album tracks, they want to hear the so called 'classics' and have a good nights entertainment

It doesn't matter what a few hundred of us would prefer. You have to cater for the majority

TRUE, I think - and unless what I said in the O2 update threat (I was too thrilled and thinking there are mostly hardcore fans at this show) - Stones are professionals and deliver to the mayority - and so is the setlist......! No problem.....the show should be enjoyed and not be analyzed tooo much...!!!

Date: November 26, 2012 02:11

mjmjr
according to rs.com it was to be the final #

Not on the set list and not on rs.com...check again.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:11

ThroughTheLonelyNights
andy js
Looks more than solid to me. You also have to factor in, the vast MAJORITY of people attending gigs don't want obscure album tracks, they want to hear the so called 'classics' and have a good nights entertainment

It doesn't matter what a few hundred of us would prefer. You have to cater for the majority

TRUE, I think - and unless what I said in the O2 update threat (I was too thrilled and thinking there are mostly hardcore fans at this show) - Stones are professionals and deliver to the mayority - and so is the setlist......! No problem.....the show should be enjoyed and not be analyzed tooo much...!!!

Why not give them gorilla towels to wave too.

Date: November 26, 2012 02:14

they changed it....if i knew how to post a picture i would, but they had a picture of the official set list up and removed it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 02:15 by mjmjr.

Date: November 26, 2012 02:16

The Sicilian
ThroughTheLonelyNights
andy js

Gorilla towels are way too stupid - but what do you want to say??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 02:16 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:16

i donyt know how u can sy same setlist 40 years.what about licks tour.

Date: November 26, 2012 02:18

mjmjr
they changed it....if i knew how to post a picture i would, but they had a picture of the official set list up and removed it

No they didn't. I have the set list in front of me: JJF is no 24 after no 23 YCAGWYW...and no 7 Lady Jane but they just decided not to play that one.

Date: November 26, 2012 02:22

mjmjr

Ah, now they did! But I have it in front of me, believe me; jjf last and 24th song!

Date: November 26, 2012 02:24

ok.........good set anyway

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:30

I think we have reached a point where the setlist doesn't matter that much. It's the deliverance that matters. And I'm afraid Mick's voice is a bit of a spoiler these days.
And the pointing and strutting only makes it worse.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:40

Stoneage
I think we have reached a point where the setlist doesn't matter that much. It's the deliverance that matters. And I'm afraid Mick's voice is a bit of a spoiler these days.

Well, at least he hasn't hired allison krauss to sing every word in unison with him and hit his high notes for him like robert plant has.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:49

arthritis
Stoneage

Well, at least he hasn't hired allison krauss to sing every word in unison with him and hit his high notes for him like robert plant has.tongue sticking out smiley

Maybe he should, Arthritis? The thing is, I don't mind the pointing and strutting, it's part of Jagger's swagger. But if you add that nasal, flat voice on top of that it doesn't end well. Nowadays...

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:14

At one point Mick 'joked' it was time to play the whole Satanic Majesties album, so be thankful for small mercies! I must be very non hard core because I loved the set list.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:24

Tepid list

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:33

GumbootCloggeroo
You can't judge a show based on the set list...

It's actually quite common on internet boards. of course, the discussion has absolutely no relationship to what actually happened in the room, as people have pointed out in response.

Quite amusing, people complaining about a set full of Stones songs. Given the circumstances, given my personal situation of having seen over 50 shows since 72 and having dropped one Large on a pair of great looking seats in Bklyn in a weak, Cognac-driven late night moment, I'm pleased with the evening and hoping Mick T., at least, is not afraid to fly over.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:52

Looks good other than they coulda left played a couple more good songs instead of Miss You and Start Me Up and Taylor should have been on YCAGWYW too...

Date: November 26, 2012 03:55

Lady Jayne
At one point Mick 'joked' it was time to play the whole Satanic Majesties album, so be thankful for small mercies! I must be very non hard core because I loved the set list.

I find his joke offensive, it is TIME for it!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:24

I thought that it was an amazing setlist. I think many people who don't have as much experience attending shows by major artists don't understand that the second half of a show has always been dedicated to the artists' most well-known tracks. It's primarily for reasons of pacing. Smaller bands with a core group of fans have more flexibility.

I actually think that even long time fans enjoy hearing the favorites to close out a show. On the Bigger Bang tour, it seems that most people on this Forum enjoyed the shows, but there were quite a few complaints every show about the setlist. I remember checking (by clicking on the names of people who mentioned setlists) and was surprised to see that a small handful of members were posting constantly about setlists (multiple posts in one day on different threads all complaining about the setlist), and literally nothing else. I don't know about this tour, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 04:48 by drbryant.

Date: November 26, 2012 04:47

Here is a setlist from Paul McCartney's 2012 tour on November 14, 2012 at Houston Tx.

37 Songs, Are you reading this everybody???

Now compare the shows.

01-Magical Mystery Tour

02-Junior's Farm

03-All My Loving

04-Jet

05-Got to Get You into My Life

06-Sing the Changes

07-The Night Before

08-Let Me Roll It

09-Paperback Writer

10-The Long and Winding Road

11-Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five

12-My Valentine

13-Maybe I'm Amazed

14-I'm Looking Through You

15-And I Love Her

16-Blackbird

17-Here Today

18-Dance Tonight

19-Mrs. Vandebilt

20-Eleanor Rigby

21-Something

22-Band on the Run

23-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

24-Back in the U.S.S.R.

25-I've Got a Feeling

26-A Day in the Life
("Give Peace a Chance" snippet)
27-Let It Be

28-Live and Let Die

29-Hey Jude

Encore:

30-Lady Madonna

31-Day Tripper

32-Get Back

Encore 2:

33-Yesterday

34-Helter Skelter

35-Golden Slumbers

36-Carry That Weight

37-The End

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:50

The Sicilian
Here is a setlist from Paul McCartney's 2012 tour on November 14, 2012 at Houston Tx.

Now compare the shows.

01-Magical Mystery Tour

02-Junior's Farm

03-All My Loving

04-Jet

06-Sing the Changes

07-The Night Before

08-Let Me Roll It

09-Paperback Writer

12-My Valentine

13-Maybe I'm Amazed

15-And I Love Her

16-Blackbird

17-Here Today

18-Dance Tonight

19-Mrs. Vandebilt

20-Eleanor Rigby

21-Something

22-Band on the Run

23-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

24-Back in the U.S.S.R.

25-I've Got a Feeling

26-A Day in the Life
27-Let It Be

28-Live and Let Die

29-Hey Jude

Encore:

30-Lady Madonna

31-Day Tripper

32-Get Back

Encore 2:

33-Yesterday

34-Helter Skelter

35-Golden Slumbers

36-Carry That Weight

37-The End

Why would anyone on this Board care what Paul McCartney (or Billy Joel or Elton John or anyone else) played in concert? [EDIT] Sorry, perhaps your point is that despite being the same age, McCartney plays a longer show, so the Stones should also play a longer show? I might agree with that. They could mix in an acoustic set to control the pacing. In terms of actual music, I suspect that most of the people on this board would trade a three-song set by the Stones for 3 hour show by "Macca".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 04:53 by drbryant.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:54

Has anyone noticed that this was the longest Stones concert in Europe since 1995? The official setlist was even 25 songs (incl. Lady Jane & Satisfaction) what would have made the show longer than all Brigdes to Babylon concerts and most Voodoo Lounge sets. After the usual 18-19 songs of the last Bigger Bang legs that's a surprise.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:58

The Sicilian

Now compare the shows.

01-Magical Mystery Tour

02-Junior's Farm

03-All My Loving

04-Jet

06-Sing the Changes

07-The Night Before

08-Let Me Roll It

09-Paperback Writer

12-My Valentine

13-Maybe I'm Amazed

15-And I Love Her

16-Blackbird

17-Here Today

18-Dance Tonight

19-Mrs. Vandebilt

20-Eleanor Rigby

21-Something

22-Band on the Run

23-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

24-Back in the U.S.S.R.

25-I've Got a Feeling

26-A Day in the Life
27-Let It Be

28-Live and Let Die

29-Hey Jude

Encore:

30-Lady Madonna

31-Day Tripper

32-Get Back

Encore 2:

33-Yesterday

34-Helter Skelter

35-Golden Slumbers

36-Carry That Weight

37-The End

Most of these songs are no more than 2-3 minutes in length.

Date: November 26, 2012 04:59

drbryant
I thought that it was an amazing setlist. I think many people who don't have as much experience attending shows by major artists don't understand that the second half of a show has always been dedicated to the artists' most well-known tracks. It's primarily for reasons of pacing. Smaller bands with a core group of fans have more flexibility.

Why would anyone on this Board care what Paul McCartney (or Billy Joel or Elton John or anyone else) played in concert? Is there a point here?

I think it is quite clear what the point is. It is about effort, content, and value. Rehashing the same old songs to please the majority is DOA. A 70 year old musician can play 37 songs from throughout their career and mix them up with ease why can't the Stones?

Date: November 26, 2012 05:02

uhbuhgullayew

Most of these songs are no more than 2-3 minutes in length.

Some are some are not. The Stones also have many 2 to 3 minute songs that could be added to the show.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:07

Well, the Paul McCartney/Rolling Stones comparison sure didn't take long!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:14

The Sicilian
Rehashing the same old songs to please the majority is DOA.

It's a delicate balance. They need to rehash the old songs. I want to hear JJF, MR, TD, even after all these years. Some other crezy longtime fan will have his own small list. There's a little wiggle room for new and/or obscure stuff. But DOA? I don't think so.

Date: November 26, 2012 05:16

GumbootCloggeroo
Well, the Paul McCartney/Rolling Stones comparison sure didn't take long!

It is an example of what setlist should look like. It has nothing to do with who is better than who. It is all about the content. The Stones choose the easiest path possible. There are no risks, no hard work, just the usual string of the same hits and a sprinkling of songs that have made into many tours prior.

Really, where is the effort here? They leave out so many songs from their catalog it is depressing.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 05:18 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home