Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

KEITH'S ACID USE (?) OZ '73
Date: January 3, 2005 04:40

I've heard over the years that Keith was on LSD for at least one of the Oz '73 shows. I believe it was Sydney. Anybody know anything about this?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: KEITH'S ACID USE (?) OZ '73
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 3, 2005 06:24

He was high on all the tours from that time!

Date: January 3, 2005 08:52

Surely, LSD was not a regular drug of choice? I've found it hard enough to sing when I've smoked pot, let alone tripping on LSD!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: January 3, 2005 13:47

The only Oz-gig in which he used LSD was Perth.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 3, 2005 13:55

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only Oz-gig in which he used LSD was Perth.

How the hell to you know that Dendelion?

Date: January 3, 2005 14:23

Keith told it in an interview. He did not use to play gigs on acid, but he remembered doing it at that gig particularly smiling smiley

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 3, 2005 14:36

So he remembered? Pretty bad acid he took then.............

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 3, 2005 16:32

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> The only Oz-gig in which he used LSD was Perth.

That wouldn´t surprise me at all. Just listen to Gimme Shelter from that show. winking smiley

Date: January 3, 2005 16:58

That's one horrible intro to an otherwise superb show.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 3, 2005 19:51

I don't remember well, but I belive Bill Wyman wrote Keith was arrested and charged for LSD in some time around 73

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: January 3, 2005 19:56

he has been on HP sauce for years.....................

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 3, 2005 21:16

If you take LSD you end up like Brian Wilson. More or less brain dead. I don't think Keith did that. Sure his body has taken quite a few hits, but come on guys. I have seen Keith on stage and he is smoking 1/10th of a cigarette. Then friends of mine say he was smoking through the show. I have seen CS Blues the movie, said to be a party in sex and rock'n'roll. It is all what you want to see. I don't want to kill the myth, believe what you want to believe, but LSD is not something you play with. You end up as a nutcase, simple as that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 3, 2005 21:49

I have many friends who have done plenty of LSD and they are fine now. They hold jobs like accountants, lawyers and so on. However if you make this a drug you do everyday you will end up insane. Doesn't the line in Live with Me refer to LSD "I take tea at 3" I remember Mick or Keith saying that they would put a hit of acid in their tea in the late 60's.

Date: January 4, 2005 00:14

The reference to Keith's LSD use comes from the Barbara Charone Book, buddy boy!!
Keith says : one show in ozzy.
Somebody quoted here a few years ago it was the "welcome to australia(VGP)"show.
That's show is my fave !
The only complete MT soundboard
Aye Aye !

Schuine Hondsbossche

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: January 4, 2005 01:18

It's a well known fact that Keith did acid several times in the sixties and I also remember hearing or reading in an interview that him and Mick did a show on the '75 tour. I also think the Australia show you're talking about resulted from Keith and Bobby Keyes missing their flight and they took some acid and got their late and played during the trip.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2005 11:17

There's two great stories about the Sydney shows. One guy had a story about a guitar he sold to Keith (I believe the story was on Rock's Off board), and he visited the Stones in their hotel room. another story is an entire interview with Mick and Keith after the 02/27 Sydney show, and Mick and Keith are listening to the playback of the soundboard tape of that show. In this interview Keith comments that he was on acid during this show, but he felt it was a really good show.

Mathijs

Posted by: mark ()
Date: January 4, 2005 20:39

This is hilarious...

First of all I am siding with the Beatles who manufactured it and stated it was essencial for spiritual developement and creativity. As a drug to play live it sucked and this is where songs like Innagodadavita came from, guys looking at a guitar neck that was acting like spaggetti, loosing track of time and playing solo's for 20 minutes.

I come from a group that did and still will including the profetionals amounst us (even a surgeon) but I do have one freind that destroyed his brain, everything in moderation my doctor says. We hated crouds though so I'm thinking getting on stage would be an amplified horror show. The worst trip I took was Voodoo, the oly time I tried it at a rock show, just too many people and you can't focus your eyes.

Did Keith or not, could not say, but by 72, with the death of hippies this was pretty passe with rock bands who had moved on to uppers/downers (like Mick in 72), made for a more hyper show as opposed to a spacy one. If he did it must have been an interesting night for him.

Date: January 4, 2005 20:50

bv Wrote:
> If you take LSD you end up like Brian Wilson. More
> or less brain dead. I don't think Keith did that.
> Sure his body has taken quite a few hits, but come
> on guys.>
> Bjornulf

Why do you think keith's teeth started to rot during the 1969 tour? One of the most known side effects of LSD, it creates holes in tooth enemal.

Mathijs

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 4, 2005 21:21

I've read a lot of books about psychedelics, but never heard about LSD having any effect on teeth. Keith was busted for LSD sometime in the 70s - cant recall if it was '73, '76, there were so many busts during that period. Brian W had psychiatric problems prior to taking acid, & acid would be contraindicated for someone with serious emotional or psychiatric problems. I remember lots of great trips, including a revelatory one listening to Exile On Main Street. Also I was too young to take drugs in the 60s, so my hallucinogen use was from roughtly 1980 - 94. (about 12 - 15 times)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-04 21:26 by john r.

Date: January 4, 2005 21:32

I rather do Special K than LSD

Date: January 4, 2005 21:48

Taken from a website on drugs:

Amphetamine and LSD
>>>
>Snorted, bombed (wrapped up in a cigarette paper and swallowed), dabbed with a finger onto the gums (this eventually rots the teeth), added to a drink or injected.

It's also actually in Stanley Booth's book, that Keith had his teeth pulled in 1971 as they were rotten due to use of LSD and amphetamine.

Mathijs

Posted by: mark ()
Date: January 4, 2005 21:51

LSD has two main effects, a body stone variable in intensity depending on the type and of course hallusinations. A common misconception is that LSD is screwing with your mind to create the hallusinations (it does not affect spelling). What it realy does is trigger a small glad on the back of your eye that releases an oily substance onto the back of the eye, this oily surface filters what you see as moving with the oil. It is the same thing that happens when you stare at say strange wall paper too long and it starts to shift, you have placed strain on that gland and it lets the oil out. If anyone tells you they saw pink elephants there are screwed in the head anyway, you don't see what is not there.

I do not place LSD in the same catagory as other drugs, folks who use it are not stung out on the street, as said they can be doctors. What LSD will do for you is change all of the perceptions you have about 'just what is my body about'. A cookie will get lost in your mouth, you can drink your ass off and not even feel it until you fall down, you will not have a hangover, you can exert yourself physically and double what you would normally do and the next day will not have sore musscels....it just challeges your understanding of what your mind and body can concieve.

I like to know what a drug is doing to me.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 4, 2005 22:39

Wasn't LSD being researched as a treatment for schizophrenia and other mental disorders in the late 50s and 60s? In fact it was legal in the US up until the mid to late 60s. Seems to me there was a clinic somewhere in the western US where doctors had quite a bit of success with it, but when acid became available on a large-scale basis to recreational users it became "demonized" and the clinic had to close its doors.

I also read a Keith interview where he claimed Perth 73 was the only time he played to an audience while tripping. If so, maybe he should start dropping again!!

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home