Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

are these shows the band being DUTIFUL?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 20, 2012 20:33

I've seen duty defined as the cheerful acceptance of natural obligations. Anytime a performer fails to play the radio hits, they defy duty...and its really quite a statement. Humans are very judgmental about those who fail to perform their duties. The sense I get about these upcoming shows is that Mick (especially) is saying "we're delivering what's expected" I remember an interview with Warren Zevon while dying about doing Letterman that he decided to do the show when he read that Sammy Davis performed Mr. Bojangles as he was dying. It's interesting because a lot of what the Stones were rebelling against in the early 60's was this crushing insistence on duty (think Mother's Little Helper). Its very interesting to see that vibe come around full circle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 20:40 by Send It To me.

Re: are these shows the band being DUTIFUL?
Date: November 20, 2012 21:03

Send It To me
I've seen duty defined as the cheerful acceptance of natural obligations. Anytime a performer fails to play the radio hits, they defy duty...and its really quite a statement. Humans are very judgmental about those who fail to perform their duties. The sense I get about these upcoming shows is that Mick (especially) is saying "we're delivering what's expected" I remember an interview with Warren Zevon while dying about doing Letterman that he decided to do the show when he read that Sammy Davis performed Mr. Bojangles as he was dying. It's interesting because a lot of what the Stones were rebelling against in the early 60's was this crushing insistence on duty (think Mother's Little Helper). Its very interesting to see that vibe come around full circle.

I think the whole world has heard the warhorses more than enough. Time to get reckless again!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2012 21:05

The Rolling Stones are not in their 20s. They don't swim against the tide any more. The Path of Least Resistance seems their credo. I'm sure when you get to be 70 years old you need the rocks to be a little smoother in your path. Show up, make the majority of the people happy, pocket their money. Get home in time for Christmas. Warm your bones by the fire. Mick still has a rebellious bone or two. Doom and Gloom sticks it to those who supported the Iraq War.

Keith seems to have no interest in making waves. Repeat the same 'adlibs' at every concert. Kick your boot on the piano at some point to show you're 'rocking'. Give the hardcore fans 'Charlie Is My Darling', give the general mass 'Crossfire Hurricane'. Yes, they're doing their duty. For untold millions of dollars.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2012 21:07

One man's definition of 'dutiful' is someone else's definition of 'pandering', I suppose.

There are plenty of major acts who don't do this and they still manage to keep a very substantial audience. The Stones used to be in that category for sure.

I don't subscribe at all to the theory that if people hear songs they don't know or don't hear their favourite songs that they wont come back. By that yardstick, no act would ever be able to go on stage and perform anything but oldies. For a song to be a classic it has to be 'new' at some point.

If the entertainment value is good enough, the choice of material is secondary. And in the Stones' case, it generally has been.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 20, 2012 21:11

24FPS
Doom and Gloom sticks it to those who supported the Iraq War.
Mick's timing is impeccable! Perhaps next he can write a song in support of the Slovenian peasant revolt of 1515.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2012 21:13

GumbootCloggeroo
24FPS
Mick's timing is impeccable! Perhaps next he can write a song in support of the Slovenian peasant revolt of 1515.

Did some idiot start that one too?

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 20, 2012 22:38

I don't think they're touring out of "duty." I think they realize they still have enough physical health to get up and play so they might as well. Because the sand is running through the hourglass, and it probably gets boring hanging around beachfront mansions for the last few years anyway.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 20, 2012 22:49

GumbootCloggeroo
24FPS

LOL.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 21, 2012 10:56

24FPS
GumbootCloggeroo
24FPS

Did some idiot start that one too?

yup....and don't look now but some idiot is gonna start the next one soon...YIPE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home