Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stonesdoug mentioning rumor of MSG in January
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 21, 2012 01:53

dcba
Could they have found a way to pump fresh ideas the live thing?

I mean instead of booking entire tours months in advance they announce one or two shows in one city, see how tix sell... If they do sell well they add another date etc. When one city/market is dry they move to another one (L.A. Tokyo Chicago Paris etc).

Sounds very clever... I can see that for 2013.

Seen that coming for some time now, honestly at this point in time it's the only approach that makes sense, not the pricing of course, but small series of concerts here and there and never stopping completely. I think they'll be tempted to add some stadiums next summer in Europe though, hopefully to promote the album Mick wants to record.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 21, 2012 01:58

dcba
Could they have found a way to pump fresh ideas the live thing?

I mean instead of booking entire tours months in advance they announce one or two shows in one city, see how tix sell... If they do sell well they add another date etc. When one city/market is dry they move to another one (L.A. Tokyo Chicago Paris etc).

Sounds very clever... I can see that for 2013.

Yes, indeed. A smarter way to go especially at their advanced ages. Easier to cancel a few shows than an entire tour. I like McCartney's model for touring.

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: November 21, 2012 02:00

imo ticket prices for the stones have been pretty high since my first time seeing them in 99. f/v one section off the stage was $300 USD per tix. licks was around $350 and BB was $450. i was fortunate to see them up close for the vast majority of my 12 shows (a couple, scalped tickets for a 100-150 bucks, which got me in the door). but i remember the day before dodger stadium, paying 99 on ticketmaster for a 450 ticket, row 3 on the floor, keith side, about 30 seats from the ramp. not too bad.
if come 2013 the stones play dates, which is a consensus, and their ticket prices keep at the levels for london, brooklyn, and jersey, i'll be finding a stranger on the street to get my wife and i just in the door.
truthfully - i don't give a shit who they are, 750 for a f/v ticket is outrageous. i think macca has been keeping it at a resourceful level mid-high 200s, u2 the same, and springsteen with fees is approx. 125 a ticket.
they can still make a ton of dough at 300 a ticket and i think a lot of people would be more than willing to see the stones at 300 a ticket. not that people are not willing to see them at 750 because clearly all 5 shows now are "sold out", however, nonetheless there are many, many fans who simply can not afford a couple of tickets (even the nose bleed seats) and will hope and pray to scalp a pair the night of the show at a reasonable level of dollars.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: November 21, 2012 02:53

FrankM
steverogan
NY has suffered over 50,000 jobs and approximately 35-50 billion dollars in damages... not so sure a concert is first on their shopping list.

Being from NJ, I can empathize with you but some good live Stones music might be just what this area needs after Hurricane Sandy.
Agreed- the ppv could be ok but not at $500 for a crappy seat and over $800 for a less crappy seat... more important things to use the money for.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 21, 2012 06:28

steverogan
LeonidP
Gazza
Does the rest of the US outside of a twenty mile radius of Manhattan not have any money at all???

I think its more of a question of common sense and spending the money wisely. This is not wise.

Not just "common sense"- just read the papers- high unemployment, underwater mortgages,volatile stock market, record national debt, tight credit,and the "fiscal cliff" the US is facing are much more "top of mind" than any show...
quite daunting.. USA isnot the economic force it was.. we just print money ala Obama ( to bail out the Auto industry), and devalue or dollar.

Good points, but I am not personally hurting, and could afford it, no problem -- but no way I am even considering it. I see that as using my common sense. I'll spend my money on family xmas gifts...

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 21, 2012 09:59

Gazza
Does the rest of the US outside of a twenty mile radius of Manhattan not have any money at all???

yes. correct. The nation is flat broke, busted, and disgusted. for real.except for the 1% of which many live in Manhattan....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2012 12:45

And let's not forget that, like the "good" 21st century capitalists that they are, they manage to put the risk in othe ppl's hands.
As son as a show is announced they manage to egt paid whatever happens. Tix sales may be poor the Stones still get their fees.

If they sign for 3 Tokyo gigs next year and they only fill 2 well bad luck for the local promoters.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 21, 2012 16:18

In that same thread he is now saying a friend of the band mentioned the possibility of a small show between the Brooklyn and Newark dates.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 21, 2012 17:47

71Tele
VoodooLounge13
Gazza

Gazza,

Unfortunately, this is indeed the case. I, for one, who have managed to see each tour since Bridges - and granted I had no intention of going on this one unless Taylor and Wyman were there - simply could not afford the tix even if I wanted to. Living paycheck to paycheck these days, still working at my job, with nominal increases that don't even come close to keeping up with the inflation going on. As someone else pointed out already, we are in for four more years of further deepening uncertainty, and you can be sure that we are nowhere near the end of our recession.

The costs of some fairly basic, yet pertinent necessities in my household have just about doubled in about a year's time: mayonnaise, peanut butter, coffee. The cost of a new Toyota Highlander for the 2013 model year is up $10K from what it would have cost last year when the lease on my pickup was up. I've noted the costs of Toyota's in general has gone way up in this time period.

There is simply no extravagant amounts of extra money to be had these days, and what is left, isn't going to be spent by the average consumer on ticket prices of this magnitude.

VL13

Mayonnaise is a "pertinent necessity"?

in our house it is! Forgot Milk, which is also up over $1/gallon, and when you go thru 4 gallons a week like we do, it all adds up.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 21, 2012 17:59

VoodooLounge13
71Tele
VoodooLounge13
Gazza

Gazza,

Unfortunately, this is indeed the case. I, for one, who have managed to see each tour since Bridges - and granted I had no intention of going on this one unless Taylor and Wyman were there - simply could not afford the tix even if I wanted to. Living paycheck to paycheck these days, still working at my job, with nominal increases that don't even come close to keeping up with the inflation going on. As someone else pointed out already, we are in for four more years of further deepening uncertainty, and you can be sure that we are nowhere near the end of our recession.

The costs of some fairly basic, yet pertinent necessities in my household have just about doubled in about a year's time: mayonnaise, peanut butter, coffee. The cost of a new Toyota Highlander for the 2013 model year is up $10K from what it would have cost last year when the lease on my pickup was up. I've noted the costs of Toyota's in general has gone way up in this time period.

There is simply no extravagant amounts of extra money to be had these days, and what is left, isn't going to be spent by the average consumer on ticket prices of this magnitude.

VL13

Mayonnaise is a "pertinent necessity"?

in our house it is! Forgot Milk, which is also up over $1/gallon, and when you go thru 4 gallons a week like we do, it all adds up.

That's an impressive amount of milk, you must have a large family. Gotta go with Mick on this one, never liked milk and still don't, but then grew up with an Italian father who thought milk was disgusting. I can only tolerate mayo if it's buried in tuna or egg salad, and then only in small doses. I do part ways with Keith on cheese, I'm picky about what kind, but I do like it.

OK, we can now resume our regularly scheduled topic. smiling smiley

I think there is money in the rest of the country, enough to support one night arena tours certainly in big metropolitian cities. I think the Stones are going for convenience and trying to maximize their return by sticking to the NYC area right now. If all goes well, then they will branch out to places like Los Angeles, where they are guaranteed to sell out.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 21, 2012 21:14

murf3901
but i remember the day before dodger stadium, paying 99 on ticketmaster for a 450 ticket, row 3 on the floor, keith side, about 30 seats from the ramp. not too bad.

These tickets were always 99, just rarely available to the general public, you had to buy them from Shelley Lazar directly. When the show got postponed to the day before thanksgiving, a lot of them ended up in the system.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home