Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

For Sale: 1978 Telecaster Custom 'stage played by Keith Richards'
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 10, 2024 20:15

As far as I can tell: this guitar has never been played on stage by Keith Richards, and the provenance only proves Jim Callahan worked on the 1990 tour. There is no provenance shown that proves that this guitar was owned or played by Richards.

For Sale: Stage played Keith Richards 1978 Fender Telecaster Custom

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-10 20:17 by Mathijs.

Re: For Sale: 1978 Telecaster Custom 'stage played by Keith Richards'
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 10, 2024 20:35

Mathijs

There is no provenance shown that proves that this guitar was owned or played by Richards.

In the pictures on the seller's website, the Telecaster for sale has 4 knobs and 6 strings - but Keith's stage Telecaster has 3 knobs + 1 toggle switch and is a 5-string:

Picture from the seller: [www.GottaHaveRockAndRoll.com] . Minimum bid is: $20,000 - Estimate is: $50,000 - $100,000 .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-10 21:55 by Irix.

Date: April 10, 2024 20:55

The Telecaster for sale:

[www.GottaHaveRockAndRoll.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-10 22:35 by Irix.

Date: April 10, 2024 21:31

As far as known: From 1975 until 1983 Keith had one Telecaster Custom, a widely known and documented 1975 model he purchased on June 5, 1975 in San Antonio. Played stock until the 1978 tour when the 3-saddle bridge was replaced with a 6-saddle bridge and a new black switch tip, and in 1981 a new Schaller bridge and new gear heads were installed, and a new white switch tip. Jim Barber and Alan Rogan purchased another 1975 model in 1983 and replaced the parts to be an exact replica of Keith's main model. To be able to tell the guitars apart they put a Harley Davidson sticker on the back of No.1.

No.1 can best be recognized by the line pattern of the fretboard on the first and second fret, something that is fairly recognizable on most pictures and films.

As far as I know, he has always played his No.1 Custom, and never the replacement except possibly for one occasion: The 1986 Hail Hail RnR concert. They filmed two shows, and one show clearly is the No.1 (line pattern is seen, back sticker can be spotted several times). But there is footage where the neck shade turns a bit darker and the back sticker is gone. I am not sure if this is just the footage, or that he actually used his backup guitar. I only have two pictures of the backup guitar, both in a studio.

It shows up on pictures of all the instruments of the 1989 tour rehearsals in Washington, but as far as I know he never used it live until He played the No. 1 until the Winos 1993 tour where it appeared in open-G setting. With the Stones it appeared first in 2005 (thanks Dandelion).

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 14:35 by Mathijs.

Date: April 10, 2024 21:45

Keith with the Rolling Stones at the 'LA Forum' in Inglewood (California), 6-Mar-2006:

Large picture , [GettyImages.com]

Date: April 10, 2024 22:25

From the seller's website:

Date: April 10, 2024 23:00

Keith's 5-string 1972 Telecaster (bought in 1975) is depicted in the 'Unzipped' book on pg. 108:

Large picture

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 10, 2024 23:10

"...this item is highly likely genuine..." Highly likely? Haha! I'd need proof.

Date: April 11, 2024 00:50

Performance filmed as the 'Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll!' concert movie, St. Louis (Missouri), October 16, 1986:

Date: April 11, 2024 01:15

American Tour 1981:

[Pixels.com] - photo by Jurgen Lorenzen.

Date: April 11, 2024 01:30

Keith performs with 'The New Barbarians' at The OMNI Coliseum in Atlanta (Georgia), May 10, 1979:

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: April 11, 2024 01:43

Irix
Mathijs

There is no provenance shown that proves that this guitar was owned or played by Richards.

In the pictures on the seller's website, the Telecaster for sale has 4 knobs and 6 strings - but Keith's stage Telecaster has 3 knobs + 1 toggle switch and is a 5-string:

Picture from the seller: [www.GottaHaveRockAndRoll.com] . Minimum bid is: $20,000 - Estimate is: $50,000 - $100,000 .
I thought all you need was 5 strings, 2 hands, and 1 a$$hole to play like Keef Richards.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 11, 2024 02:24

The Schaller six saddles bridge is a modern L-shaped, thick bridge plate.

The black custom for sale, is sporting a six saddles, thin ashtray bridge.
I don't recall seeing one in Keith's Tele arsenal.
it's either 3-saddle vintage or six saddle modern bridges.

Date: April 11, 2024 10:00

open-g
The Schaller six saddles bridge is a modern L-shaped, thick bridge plate.

The black custom for sale, is sporting a six saddles, thin ashtray bridge.
I don't recall seeing one in Keith's Tele arsenal.
it's either 3-saddle vintage or six saddle modern bridges.

He used one of these bridges on the 1978 tour. They apparently were looking for better intonation and changed the original 3-saddle bridge to a then 'modern' 6-saddle bridge.

Mathijs

Date: April 11, 2024 10:02

Here you see the line pattern at the first and second fret quite clearly.

1982 Telecaster Custom

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 11, 2024 10:57

Mathijs
As far as known: From 1975 until 1983 Keith had one Telecaster Custom, a widely known and documented 1975 model he purchased on June 5, 1975 in San Antonio. Played stock until the 1978 tour when the 3-saddle bridge was replaced with a 6-saddle bridge and a new black switch tip, and in 1981 a new Schaller bridge and new gear heads were installed, and a new white switch tip. Jim Barber and Alan Rogan purchased another 1975 model in 1983 and replaced the parts to be an exact replica of Keith's main model. To be able to tell the guitars apart they put a Harley Davidson sticker on the back of No.1.

No.1 can best be recognized by the line pattern of the fretboard on the first and second fret, something that is fairly recognizable on most pictures and films.

As far as I know, he has always played his No.1 Custom, and never the replacement except possibly for one occasion: The 1986 Hail Hail RnR concert. They filmed two shows, and one show clearly is the No.1 (line pattern is seen, back sticker can be spotted several times). But there is footage where the neck shade turns a bit darker and the back sticker is gone. I am not sure if this is just the footage, or that he actually used his backup guitar. I only have two pictures of the backup guitar, both in a studio.

He played the No. 1 until the 1988 tour where it appeared in open-G setting. It shows up on pictures of all the instruments of the 1989 tour rehearsals in Washington, but as far as I know he never used it live until (if I recall correctly) 2006.

Mathijs

At what point was the wiring changed to move the location of the selector switch so that it wasn't in the way of the right hand ?

Date: April 11, 2024 12:55

Spud
Mathijs

He played the No. 1 until the 1988 tour where it appeared in open-G setting. It shows up on pictures of all the instruments of the 1989 tour rehearsals in Washington, but as far as I know he never used it live until (if I recall correctly) 2006.

Mathijs

At what point was the wiring changed to move the location of the selector switch so that it wasn't in the way of the right hand ?

I made a mistake above: the No.1 first appeared on stage again in 1993, he used it for How I wish. I have not seen any footage or pictures of if appearing on the 1988 or European 1993 tours, but these tours are not as widely covered as Stones tours so we could have missed the guitar on earlier occasions.

When Keith used it in 1993 the switch had relocated to the neck tone knob position, but the hole was not filled with a cap yet. That didn't happen until 2006.

Mathijs

Posted by: roobar58 ()
Date: April 11, 2024 13:31

So are they selling the No. 2 backup guitar then?

Date: April 11, 2024 13:42

roobar58
So are they selling the No. 2 backup guitar then?

No, the guitar offered is completely unknown, and the governance provided by the seller that is publicly available does not prove it ever has been owned by Keith.

Mathijs

Date: April 11, 2024 13:57

Mathijs
Spud
Mathijs

Mathijs

I made a mistake above: the No.1 first appeared on stage again in 1993, he used it for How I wish. I have not seen any footage or pictures of if appearing on the 1988 or European 1993 tours, but these tours are not as widely covered as Stones tours so we could have missed the guitar on earlier occasions.

When Keith used it in 1993 the switch had relocated to the neck tone knob position, but the hole was not filled with a cap yet. That didn't happen until 2006.

Mathijs

Apparently tuned to open G for the first time? I always believed he first brought it back in 2005. Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 11, 2024 13:59

Irix
From the seller's website:

The fact that he claims to have gotten the guitar in 1990 and shows a picture of Keith in 2006 says everything you need to know.

Date: April 11, 2024 14:32

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Spud
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Apparently tuned to open G for the first time? I always believed he first brought it back in 2005. Thanks thumbs up

Yes, you are right, 2005.

Keith in Boston 1993:

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 14:36 by Mathijs.

Date: April 11, 2024 14:43

There it is! And I've seen that video umpteen times smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2024 14:45

If I get things correctly :

#1 you work for the band at a period of the band's history.
#2 you have a few genuine artifacts to prove it.
#3 you/your heirs manage to buy a guitar that looks like one played by Keith.
#4 by association they claim that guitar has been owned and played by KR and you put it for sale.

Nice scheme...

Date: April 11, 2024 15:06

dcba
If I get things correctly :

#1 you work for the band at a period of the band's history.
#2 you have a few genuine artifacts to prove it.
#3 you/your heirs manage to buy a guitar that looks like one played by Keith.
#4 by association they claim that guitar has been owned and played by KR and you put it for sale.

Nice scheme...

There's one thing that speaks for this guitar though -Callahan was quite a collector/hoarder, and was actively hunting for valuable stuff. With his entrance to the Stones his collection was large and valuable when he passed. So it cannot be ruled out that the story is partially true in that Richards gave him this guitar during the 1990 tour. But the provenance that Keith really owned and play this guitar is, at least to the public, missing.

Mathijs

Date: April 11, 2024 15:20

The guitar did «disappear» for a while, though. And Keith could have used #2 in 1993 and 2005. But what do I know? smiling smiley

Date: April 11, 2024 15:52

DandelionPowderman
The guitar did «disappear» for a while, though. And Keith could have used #2 in 1993 and 2005. But what do I know? smiling smiley

The Custom he has used since 1993 certainly is No. 1.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home