Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: anybody here on IORR likes their 1962-1967 stuff?
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 16, 2012 22:08

If one is not sure about the early years, check out Route 66 on the Live in England cd that came with the Charlie is my Darling set. The guitar intro is one the best and most exciting live moments you will ever get from this band. This version is of Route 66 is extraordinary and a testiment as to why these guys gained a reputation for famously good gigs.

Date: November 16, 2012 22:21

I like their fast rockers and some of the slower bluesy ones. For example, Down The Road Apiece is outstanding. I've never liked how they sped up I Just Want To Make Love To You, Not Fade Away, etc. The blues bonk rock'n'roll of Aftermath is fantastic.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 16, 2012 22:33

Glad to see a lot of stones-fans prefer their Early years. That were their golden years with sooo many great records! Took time for me to get into B.B. L.I.B. S.F. and E.o.m.s. . Nowadays I am happy to see that The Stones are still rolling. Their live-concerts 1975-2007 were Awesome!!!! ...and really like Gloom and Doom in 2012!

hope--they dont stop!

Date: November 16, 2012 23:19

They achieved a fantastic drum sound with We Love You, Dandelion and some of the TSMR tracks, along with the acoustic guitar heaviness and Keith's electric tone that would set up for SFTD etc...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 17, 2012 04:34

Yes! My favorite era, maybe because this occurred during my early teen years when a person is so influenced and impacted by the music of these formidable years...but their version of pop music and of their blues covers, seemed to have that raw edge that not many other groups portrayed at the time (The Animals come to mind) yet mixed with awesome melodies, I mean just listen to Not Fade Away, Mona, Paint It Black, Citadel, etc...That said, so much appreciate, especially as time goes on, Beggars Banquet to Goat's Head Soup period, so many masterpieces...lastly, kind of liking Some Girls, especially the reissue lately.

Date: November 17, 2012 04:48

It is a strange question to me. Why would the 62-67 Stones be any less "real Stones"? But I have very often felt that here on Tell Me the Stones are not considered pre-Banquet.
The first album is one their very best IMO. I like their Blues period a lot. The unreleased cuts are often stronger.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:10

Green Lady

You can't go back. But I'm glad I was there, to listen under the bedclothes on a newly-invented transistor radio to Not Fade Away on a dodgy signal from Radio Luxembourg, watch the black-and-white weekend start HERE with the Stones on Ready Steady Go, and make reel-to-reel tape "illegal downloads" with the microphone up against the TV or radio speaker.

Oh dear - nostalgia ain't what it used to be! But you can imagine just how much I'm enjoying Charlie Is My Darling.

I did all those things, and still have the recordings I made at the time. Even though listening to any music back then was challenging - no stereo broadcasts, thin TV sound, erratic reception from Radio Luxembourg, the deafening concerts - it was so EXCITING, and even now listening to the first two albums, the Five by Five EP or the Chess Sessions bring back those goosebumps. If I thought that the forthcoming concerts might be just half as exciting I might buy a ticket, but I was a teenager then and am probably not as easy to please these days.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 18, 2012 16:28

I completely disagree with Ash. GHS, IORR, B&B,, SG, TY, ER and Undercover are all good albums. GHS, TY and SOme Girls are great albums. Someone posted that the 60's was pop music with an attitude. I agree to some extent but I've never looked attunes like Satisfaction, Paint It Black, 19th Nervous breakdown, The Last Time, It's All Over Now or Have You Seen Your mother Baby Standing In the Shadow as pop thosesongs rock with the best of them. To me that is not pop its rock and roll

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 18, 2012 17:01

I completely disagree with Slew ! To be honest though Slew i pretty much prefer 50s and 60s era stuff anyway so it's probably my problem that i don't like the albums you listed very much. They do have have some really good tracks on them, i really like the Undercover single and i do really like Doom and Gloom. You do have a point with the tracks i labelled pop but i'm not sure they're rock 'n'roll either. To me they're all a part of that experimental pop thing that was going on at the time (for instance with the Yardbirds great run of singles and fab tracks like Paperback Writer.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:38

1962-1967 or maybe better put that 1962-1964/65 and 1965-1966/67. 1962-1964/65 is pure gold, almost. same goes for 1965-1966/67 but not really 1967 despite some tracks. 1962-1966 is Golden era, 1968-1972 Diamond era, 1973-1977 Black Diamond era, 1978-1980 is shiny new diamond era. 1981-1982 is used Diamond era.

1989- is Fools Gold era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 08:09 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 20, 2012 03:32

Ash - Just opinions so we agree to disagree. I still say those songs are rock songs though. I love 50' rockabilly great stuff!

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: January 11, 2013 16:39

I like the Brian Jones era best because I think he was a very unique player. I am 36 and have always felt this way. I like who Mick and Keith were then too. Not posing, showing vulnerability, great songs and singing. The original Stones is still the best to me. I like 1968-78 very much but after JJF and COTM it wasn't quite the same. I am not a fan of much from 1979 on except Tatoo You.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 12, 2013 08:40

I play tracks/albums from that era often. Started off with a battered copy of Rolled Gold when about 10 then looked further from there. My favourites (for today at least!) - Play With Fire, She Said Yeah, Connection, Ruby Tuesday, Backstreet Girl, Who's Driving Your Plane.......... My playlist varies every day.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:38

I like all their stuff.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 12, 2013 11:26

I'm a great fan of their blues-rooted 62-65 stuff until "Out of our Heads". After that the band turns into a pop band what accounts for their weakest period at all in my opinion. "Between the Buttons" and "Their Majesties Request" are no Rolling Stones albums but the desperate attempt of a misled product placement - the Stones as lolli-pop band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 11:26 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 12, 2013 13:21

The first album is one of their best. Mona, Route 66, Now Ive got a witness, Can I get a witness, King Bee. This is a solid ground for a career in music.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 12, 2013 14:31

No

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:43

Who Doesn't?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 12, 2013 22:31

I have 19 copies of the first vinyl LP LK4605 pressed in UK, so I guess I qualify as a person that likes the early stuff smiling smiley

Probably the best ever first album by any band...
Well, The Doors was a pretty good one as well.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: January 13, 2013 00:24

Jan Richards - Are You Experienced has to be up there as well for a first album.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:28

slew
Jan Richards - Are You Experienced has to be up there as well for a first album.

Fully agree on that one

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:30

Nah - nobody here likes that stuff...winking smiley

Posted by: micksgirl1 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:31

runaway
1963-1967 stuff

Its the music I grew up with and it's always nice to turn on the recordplayer and just listen to that great blues stuff.

The best memories of my teen years. Cried when they came on the Ed Sullivan Show.
My dad even liked the blues they played!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:33

As time goes on, I see and feel the validity of the Brian Jones years more and more. Bright Lights Big City and England's Newest Hitmakers are their defining albums. What a scene it must have been, those earliest years, the Station Hotel and all that. Natural Magic.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:38

Jan Richards
I have 19 copies of the first vinyl LP LK4605 pressed in UK, so I guess I qualify as a person that likes the early stuff smiling smiley

Probably the best ever first album by any band...
Well, The Doors was a pretty good one as well.
i've got several copies but not 19.
I was listening to this lp a few days ago and i think it doesn't stand up very well musically today. Some of it is dreadful. A couple of tracks are seriously storming and the rest in the middle and/or a bit dull. I used to like it a lot. It's not in the slightest bit original. The Doors album is in places but said album contains some really forward thinking stuff too like The End. Shame Morrison only ever sang the same 3 notes during his career punctuated by a c'mmmooonnn yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh. Check out the Reading Rainbow doors spoof by Jimmy Fallon.
I'm tired so can't get my brain to work properly but i think you might be right about The Doors being the best debut at least as far as 60's bands go. The Shadows debut is pretty good too and they are the blueprint for all the subsequent beat groups including those whose name may not be mentioned.
Despite my misgivings Route 66 will forever kick ass.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:55

tomcasagranda
Stones 1962 - 1967 has some good material.

Come On isn't too bad as a first single, but then it wasn't a great Chuck tune to begin with.

Stoned is a sub-Green Onions instrumental, with Keith and Brian trying their best Steve Cropper riffs.

Not Fade Away is where the floodgates start opening: it is more than just a cover, as it is an excellent re-write, combining both Buddy Holly and Bo Diddley. Holly's original sounded too clean, but the Stones' version is a savage voodoo blues, as if they were listening to Excello Records and Slim Harpo way back when.

I Wanna Be Your Man is far better than the pale pathetic Ringo version on With The Beatles, and has a real punk energy that probably inspired half the acts on the Lenny Kaye compiled Nuggets.

The first album has some excellent moments, ranging from the Merseybeat-esque Tell Me, I'm A King Bee, Route 66, Can I Get A Witness. 12 X 5 also has some good covers, such as Around & Around, Confessing The Blues, but the misfires began to kick in with the soul covers.

With the exception of That's How Strong My Love Is, and later Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Just My Imagination, and Harlem Shuffle, soul was not something the Stones could cope with. Don Covay, Wilson Pickett, and Marvin Gaye were best left to the originals. You Better Move On is also an exception to the rule, as it is an excellent cover, and introduced many to Arthur Alexander.

What happened, up to Aftermath, was that the Stones albums consisted of the hit singles, and a couple of fillers. By and large, the singles were excellent from Little Red Rooster onwards. The Last Time, Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, were amazing soul/blues based singles, without a trace of Merseybeat.

Post Aftermath, and the Stones started to follow what they were hearing around them. The Blues was briefly returned to with Who's Driving Your Plane, the bside to Have You Seen Your Mother, but, for the most part, it was a case of The Beatles and The Byrds doing raga-rock, so we'd better do likewise: granted the likewise of Paint It, Black was amazingly excellent. Vaudavilian English rock a la Kinks, mid 60s Beatles, Small Faces ! Ok, let's do Cool, Calm, Collected, My Obsession, Something Happened to Me Yesterday. Likewise, Dylan's word-play, and they come up with Who's Been Sleeping Here. In some ways, individualism was being lost to what they heard around them.

1967 was, basically, a bad year, but the psychedelic Stones were underrated. She's A Rainbow may be peace and love, but 2,000 Man, 2,000 Light Years From Home, and We Love You all reek of alienation, pre-dating Roger Waters and David Bowie's Major Tom. Though, however, the Stones did return to psychedelia with Child Of The Moon.

I wonder about the Stones' version of "Not fade away", it is very different than the original record by Buddy Holly but in the Buddy Holly movie, he or the actor playing Buddy Holly who is Gary Busey sings it a lot in the way that the Rolling Stones do. I read a Buddy Holly bio and some of the songs he recorded were toned down, some almost in a country way on purpose (and one of the reasons he left Norman Petty studios) and let's not forget Mick saw Buddy Holly live.

May be similar in the Buddy Holly stage musical.

[www.youtube.com]

Of course, the Harmonica is not there, that's why I think Not fade away and It's all over now have a real Brian Jones flavour to them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 02:05 by BroomWagon.

Date: January 13, 2013 02:03

Blue
Yes! My favorite era, maybe because this occurred during my early teen years when a person is so influenced and impacted by the music of these formidable years...but their version of pop music and of their blues covers, seemed to have that raw edge that not many other groups portrayed at the time (The Animals come to mind) yet mixed with awesome melodies, I mean just listen to Not Fade Away, Mona, Paint It Black, Citadel, etc...That said, so much appreciate, especially as time goes on, Beggars Banquet to Goat's Head Soup period, so many masterpieces...lastly, kind of liking Some Girls, especially the reissue lately.

ON tell me the Stones... sounds ironic, Oh, and let's not forget Lady Jane is another really great Stones song, ballad, baroque, whatever.

Date: January 13, 2013 02:07

RobertJohnson
I'm a great fan of their blues-rooted 62-65 stuff until "Out of our Heads". After that the band turns into a pop band what accounts for their weakest period at all in my opinion. "Between the Buttons" and "Their Majesties Request" are no Rolling Stones albums but the desperate attempt of a misled product placement - the Stones as lolli-pop band.

And your name suggest the Blues, I guess Cream coming on the scene probably had a big influence to get back into the Blues.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 13, 2013 02:08

Are you kidding...? some of the best rock & blues ever released

Date: January 13, 2013 02:09

Let it bleed, Gimme Shelter in particular seems to be the band's zenith to me. That's such song. And sure, JJF, HTW, Brown Sugar, then Tumblin' Dice is pretty grand to me too for their second golden era, the early golden era being from the first album to the songs, Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane. Those.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home