Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What ever happen to the Lotus Flower Stage?
Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: December 25, 2004 21:10

What ever happen to the Lotus Flower Stage? Does any of the stones own this old stage? and are there any recent photos of it ...

Re: What ever happen to the Lotus Flower Stage?
Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: December 25, 2004 22:45

I think I read somewhere that Elton John bought it from them and it is on one of his lawns.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 25, 2004 23:40

Funny, I often think about what happens to all stages after the tours are over, and what about the clothes?? I know the 76 stage is the mainstage at the Roskilde Festival, but all the others? And what happens to the stageclothes, are they in a warehouse somewere???

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2004 00:05

Yeah I want Keith's snake skin boots so I can display 'em in a glass cabinet. You know the ones you see him wearing in Gimme Shelter movie, seen best while their recording at Muscle Shoals....Friggin' Cool!!

Eeeer Lotus Stage....I dunno probably towed to China and used for the construction of a nuclear sub...!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 26, 2004 00:39

The actual bridge from the Bridges to Babylon tour is in one of Keith's gardens.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: December 26, 2004 01:21

A friend recently visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio and said that some of the Steel Wheels stage is displayed there.

Date: December 26, 2004 13:30

I know there is some info out there but i was hoping for some of you guys having some stories about the stage... This is from the Mark Fisher web site..."The 1960s was a rather boring period of rock history as far as sets were concerned," he said, "but by the '70s they started to get more elaborate!' During the Stones 1975 "Lotus" tour - "that was a good one" Jagger said with a grin -the set featured a mechanical lotus flower that opened up on stage to reveal Jagger. Parts of the Lotus flower have been recycled in Jagger's backyard garden in France...other sources go on to say...The Stones used two innovative lotus flower shaped stages for the 1975 tour. The primary stage was ornately decorated and used on most dates. An elaborate second stage was used in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. The massive 25 ton flower featured hydraulically controlled petals that slowly unfolded as Keith Richards banged out the chords of 'Honk Tonk Women' to open the show. During 'Star Star,' a giant inflatable phallus arose from the stage to be ridden by Mick Jagger - much to the disdain of prudes and authority figures in each city along the tour.I would like to hear if any of you out there had seen any of these concerts and also if someone does know if the stage is still around.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: December 26, 2004 16:51

Where can I see good photos of the Lotus flower stage? Closed and open. I think there only very few pics of it.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 26, 2004 20:58

Try and get a copy of "The Rolling Stones on Tour" by Leibovitz/Sykes/Jagger which covers the 1975 tour of the Americas. In it you will find some great pictures of the lotus stages unfolding. Additionally, try the bootleg DVD, LA Blues.

I saw it at Earls Court in 1976 and have to say that to this day, it was the best concert opening ever by anyone! Sadly missed.

Date: December 26, 2004 22:07

Wow ,thanks for the info on the boot dvd. I will have to keep an eye out for that one. It must be great...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2004 12:56

If I remember well, the story is that Keith Moon bought the Lotus stage, and put it in his garden.

Mathijs

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: December 28, 2004 03:59

Dear Ale Man-

I had the fortune to see the stage at the LA Forum show in 1975. The seats were 8th row floor. The "petal" was covered at the top with a shroud which extended to the roof...most of the audience (including mysellf) were baffled by this!

The lights went dark and a series of electric birds ("Valkries"?) "flew" round the upper reaches of the Forum. The stage slowly unfolded to HTW and Jagger holding on to the forwardmost petal (at the top...then becoming the front of the stage as it became horizontal from vertical). He was rythymically humping it as the petal took approximately 20 seconds to descend.

Once down, the Lotus petal was like a "stage in the round". I could see over the top of it (standing on my seat) all the way to the crowd behind the stage. The projection of the petal into the front of the audience meant that my seats were more like 3rd row!

Jagger looked very much different on this tour:
1. much longer brown hair
2. relaxed, almost stoned behaviour versus the "speeded out" look of '72
3. a diamond chip in his front tooth....or,
4. a built in whistle....he did something that exuded a loud shrill wihistle...?
5. relaxed clothes...pj's with the a strip of cloth wrapped up from slippers
6. he definately exuded the "Bi" vibe

This show was definately the LOUDEST Stones show I've attended. I'm not complaing, but my head rung for a couple of days after this one!

For additional viewing, get one of the several (mostly poor quality) videos of the LA Forum show!

- Thru our past darkly...

Date: December 29, 2004 11:21

<Where can I see good photos of the Lotus flower stage? Closed and open. I think there only very few pics of it.>

On the cover of "Hold On Tight" (MSG 1975) there's a good picture.

Check www.ilovemickjagger.com

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: December 29, 2004 11:27

Thank you very much for the information!

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 29, 2004 19:11

They gave that stage to Mick Taylor as part of his severance package. He lives under it.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 2, 2005 17:44

I found this quot in the book "The Works", the one that Ronnie and Bill German did back in 1988:
"In 1975 The Stones used a big stage for their tour. Enormous thing that opened up into a lotus flower. The Stones sold it the next year. Moonie bought it for his front lawn"
Nice book by the way, Ronnie tells his story from when he the first time was on satge at age 9 with his brothers and up to the late 80's

Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-02 20:03 by Jan Richards.

Date: January 2, 2005 22:49

thanks for that one ,Jan. i have to think that this was the best stage you could see the stones on. i would love to see some footage of a show... you know...showing the real glory days or rock and roll.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 2, 2005 22:55

Who is Moonie??? Keith Moon???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:29

Hey guys - found this one!

bassaleman
I know there is some info out there but i was hoping for some of you guys having some stories about the stage... This is from the Mark Fisher web site..."The 1960s was a rather boring period of rock history as far as sets were concerned," he said, "but by the '70s they started to get more elaborate!' During the Stones 1975 "Lotus" tour - "that was a good one" Jagger said with a grin -the set featured a mechanical lotus flower that opened up on stage to reveal Jagger. Parts of the Lotus flower have been recycled in Jagger's backyard garden in France...other sources go on to say...The Stones used two innovative lotus flower shaped stages for the 1975 tour. The primary stage was ornately decorated and used on most dates. An elaborate second stage was used in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. The massive 25 ton flower featured hydraulically controlled petals that slowly unfolded as Keith Richards banged out the chords of 'Honk Tonk Women' to open the show. During 'Star Star,' a giant inflatable phallus arose from the stage to be ridden by Mick Jagger - much to the disdain of prudes and authority figures in each city along the tour.I would like to hear if any of you out there had seen any of these concerts and also if someone does know if the stage is still around.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:30

Sorry. I meant to put it on the 75/76 thread but for some reason it wouldn't work.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:41

Any good or pro shot videos of how the stage unfolded with HTW?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 3, 2010 22:08

Loudei
Any good or pro shot videos of how the stage unfolded with HTW?

Used to be, until Urbansteel's stuff "disappeared" from YouTube.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: December 3, 2010 22:32

Before HTW began @ MSG, Mick climbed a ladder to the tip of the front leaf, and was at the front of the stage dancing on it by the time most people could see him as it was coming down...As soon as Keefs' riffs started, he began kicking on a leaf like he was trying to make it open quicker...

"Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind"

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 3, 2010 22:40

this is some rare footage from 6/22/75 (my first stones show!)

the film was processed in reverse - so I 'mirrored" it, cleaned up the color and punched the audio a bit - not great, but interesting, I think - at aged 13, i remember thinking as i watched this (from almost this exact angle - just a bit farther back) "it looks like mick is just waking up out of bed"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 22:42 by hbwriter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home