Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

David Dalton - Rolling Stones: The First Twenty Years
Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:16

Looking at this book again tonight it reminds me of the internet in a strange way. Just like the internet it is incredibly random, filled with crazy nuggets of information, some reliable, some false, technical information, tabloid news, interviews, bootlegs, stories from alleged insiders, rare photos, cartoons, discographies. A real mess of a book. Highly recommended. It's old now. Look for it in second hand music stores.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 14:23 by johnnyguitar.

Re: David Dalton - Rolling Stones: The First Twenty Years
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:53

David Dalton-Rolling Stones: The First Twenty Years

I bought this book when it came out 1981/82, it's one of my favorites, another by David Dalton;
Rolling Stones an unauthorized biography in words, photographs, and music.
Edited by David Dalton/Designed by Jon Goodchild 1972.
One of my first RS ever.
I think there's a pic that the RS are holding this book?
a lot of black/white pics.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:59

one of the first stones reads i can remember...and i can't remember much anymore.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:59

Liked it a lot! Like most of Daltons Stones books.
Particularly the one from 72 "An Unauth. Bio in words and music". Loved that!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:10

Both are great, but that first one--which I got in '74--is epic and still my favorite Stones book.

I was thinking about both of them last week when I was flipping through the new authorized "50" book at Costco. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by it. In terms of concept, layout and design I thought it was pretty lame, and nowhere close to capturing the band's spirit like the Dalton books. I didn't bother to get it.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:27

Hardcover copy-

[www.biblio.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:56

It was where I got the back story on Brian Jones in 1972.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:35

I have the second oneand its still one of my favorites. Would like to get the first one.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 11, 2012 22:37

I remember that book. That one and the Brian Jones bio by Mandy Aftel were my first books on The Stones.

In recent years, Bill Wyman seems to have put David Dalton out of business in terms of the jumble of photos and stuff coffee table biography format.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 11, 2012 22:48

First 20 Years, I think there's a movie based on it; Crossfire Hurricaine or something?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: November 12, 2012 12:09

One of my first books and still one of the best .Very clever how it mixed up glossy color pics including mag covers and then matt Black and white to mimic newspaper clippings. It was all over the place with even the pull out section of the blue print guitar specs.
I remember another stonesfan at the time who paid a small fortune boasting how he got this book as a limited rare edition in a record album boxset . He nearly died when we told him he could of simply got it by itself at the bookstore !!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 13, 2012 21:06

I picked up this paperback in my local charity shop - how does this relate to the ones you're describing?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:46

Green Lady,
I have a paperback named The Rolling Stones an unauthorized biography in words and photographs by David Dalton.1970 quick fox
The front cover is different and it holds 128 pages and 12 chapters.

Rolling Stones An unauthorized biography in words, photographs, and music by David Dalton 1972. Front cover black and white. 352 pages.
This book has 26 chapters, your book holds 17 chapters.The chapters in your paperback comes close to this one but I do miss some chapters and music and it probably does'nt hold many photo's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home