Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Altamont
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 22, 2004 18:46

Listening to the well known Altamont audience tape as released by VGP it suddenly struck me: this isn't taped by a fan, this is taped by the Maysels brothers themselves! What you hear is the mike close to the stage, placed there to capture the audience reponse. I was listening and I noticed that many screams of a women in the audience were exectly the same as on the movie, and some of the fade-ins on the tape are exectly the same as on the soundboard tracks we know. Compare the fade-in to Gimme Shelter on the audience tape and on the soundboard version from Old Masters. Then I checked the DVD, and on the picture section you can see a mike placed in front of Bill and Keith, directed to the audience.

My guess is they used this tape to spice up the sound in between songs. Listen to Ya-Ya's: the audience you hear in between songs is also from a mike placed in between the audience!

Mathijs

Re: Altamont
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 22, 2004 18:57

I don't have the VGP, I have the Idol Mind version. Think It's diff. source. I do not hear most off Keith responses during the hassles, which I do hear on the movie. So my boot is not the same as the movie-tapes. I always thought it was the same source as the VGP. Does the VGP have the fade in on Gimme shelter? The Idol Mind version is not faded in. During some hassles you can hear the pool-sticks beating down on some poor guy, a girl is crying as this happens. Hard to listen to....

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 22, 2004 19:22

Which of these, if any, contains the intro and complete version of JJF?

Thanks.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 22, 2004 19:29

Mine has the complete JJF (whole show is complete), but no intro.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: December 22, 2004 20:47

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have the VGP, I have the Idol Mind
> version. Think It's diff. source. I do not hear
> most off Keith responses during the hassles, which
> I do hear on the movie. So my boot is not the same
> as the movie-tapes. I always thought it was the
> same source as the VGP. Does the VGP have the fade
> in on Gimme shelter? The Idol Mind version is not
> faded in. During some hassles you can hear the
> pool-sticks beating down on some poor guy, a girl
> is crying as this happens. Hard to listen to....
>
> So Keith, what was your inspiration naming the
> album Let it Bleed? 'I'll tell you what it would
> have been now: It would have been your face!'

Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a copy of the movie Gimme Shelter and wants one? Email me at Stikky_finger@hotmail.com.

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: December 23, 2004 03:17

very interesting Mathijs....I'll have to check out the movie again to confirm the mike.
Would make a little sense as the audience rec. source has a "loud" Keith !!

There's no doubt the tape is done close to the stage. Check out when Mick mumbles through "you all right up on the hillside...." - you can hear (in the distance) the crowd cheering on the hillside a fair way from the stage.

And you could be right as if you listen to MSG 28th second show (I think), the audience rec. has the girl saying "paint it black....paint it black you devils..." in very clear aud. rec. ...which they could have used on Ya Ya's...?

But there's also a tape of the whole Altamont Festival floating around with the early bands....Could there be another alternate source for the Stones show? Or is this sourced from this microphone on the stage?? I don't think it is - this sounds like a fan's tape.....

Has anyone heard of another source for this show???

Interesting.....

Esky

Posted by: davido ()
Date: December 23, 2004 07:48

Are we talking about the tape used for Killer Altamont?
Dunno the label but you can hear the taper, or somebody near
by, as the pool cues hit flesh, and there's a muffled sound
as if somebodies trying to cover up/ protect the mic.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:23

This is one boot that I must add to my collection one of these days. Obviously the darkest day in the band's career. I wonder, was anyone here at the show by chance?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:24

bumping of such old threads is not allowed

Date: May 5, 2008 22:27

VoodooLounge13:

I was there. Very memorable, not only in bad ways but good.

There's at least one existing thread on IORR with lots of excellent accounts.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 5, 2008 23:13

No, its from the audience, but both tapers were right down the front...see CD cover, with BOTH tapers. My tape is a combo of both, as one had the complete Brown Sugar, the other didnt. We have since gone back and edited in all of the soundboard bits, so anything that can be soundboard is. A ton of edits on this one.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-05 23:28 by stone-relics.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 6, 2008 00:16

I was aware of the "Andy Warhol" looking taper, but not the other, but there he is indeed. I once synched the audience recording I have with the GS movie and there is no doubt in my mind that the taper(s) was in the thick of things in front of the stage during the SFTD scuffle. What I saw matched with what I was hearing.

After "Thumb" things settled down and the recording seems to get better. I wonder if the taper moved...back...to the side...or perhaps even behind the stage (if possible). The second half of this show actually sounds pretty nice.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts! Nice project Stone-Relics!

Date: May 6, 2008 01:42

Thanks, pmk251. Its was a great effort by Doctor X. Its out there, if you look. He did a splendid job. Every edit is seamless.

JR

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 7, 2008 03:28

Can anybody upload flac files of the two different audience tapes???
Cheers!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 7, 2008 04:54

VoodooLounge13
This is one boot that I must add to my collection one of these days. Obviously the darkest day in the band's career. I wonder, was anyone here at the show by chance?

i personally dont think it was a dark day for the stones, (and do they?) or the multitude of other high ranking performers that day ... it was a luxurious day, a beautiful december day,,, the epitomy of rock and roll, life in the raw,, a fabulous 'concert' of sounds generating 350000 brains or so .. . . ..

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 7, 2008 06:55

I'm sorry Erik Snow...sometimes when I get bored with the current topics I go comb back thru old topics to see if I've missed any.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 7, 2008 10:00

Don't know if it's them in the picture but Kristian Hoffman and Lance Loud who later formed the Mumps (Lance was also in the landmark docu. series in the the 70's "An American Family" and wrote for Circus for a while) taped the show. Actually the blond guy could perhaps be a young Hoffman. They claim to have learned Brown Sugar from the tape and played it in their own high school band, passing it off as an original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 10:01 by andrewm.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 7, 2008 10:42

interesting read,the first time i've seen this photo
of both tapers.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: May 7, 2008 11:07

is this Michael Cohl at Altamont ?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 7, 2008 11:15

novica

Yes- this photo catches him on a cigarette break, from his shift,
selling RS tongue embossed, pool cues, at the Merchandise stand.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 7, 2008 11:30

stone-relics
No, its from the audience, but both tapers were right down the front...see CD cover, with BOTH tapers. My tape is a combo of both, as one had the complete Brown Sugar, the other didnt. We have since gone back and edited in all of the soundboard bits, so anything that can be soundboard is. A ton of edits on this one.

JR

So you're suggesting the parts where Mathijs noticed identic fade-ins are both from the soundboard source (and have been spliced into the audience recording afterwards), right?

Interesting how much "editing" has been done here, then. Reminds me of Chris M. dissecting the in-between song-banter on Ya Yas. Maybe in 20 years time his successors will jump at the Altamont tape as well ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 12:34 by Greenblues.

Date: May 7, 2008 14:52

Yes, anything that could be soundboard is on the above recording. Even minute bits of dialog left out of the movie, or other soundboard recordings. Its an impressive effort.

JR

Date: May 7, 2008 17:17

... But which, if any, recordings have the actual introduction of the Stones or at least the opening notes to JJF? This is missing on every version I've ever heard, including the truly awesome Dr. X version referred to by stone_relics.

I know StonesDoug once said he had a recording (not great quality) of Altamont with the full intro.

Can anyone provide info? Thanks.

Date: May 7, 2008 17:29

Dr. X just got a new tape, so will see what that sounds like, when I get a copy.

JR

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 8, 2008 00:42

interesting
here Mick explains he did not see Hunter; not enough light, too many people moving around.
he did not know the Hells was about to take in charge the security. He did not ask them to do it
[www.ina.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-08 00:42 by toomuchforme.

Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: May 16, 2008 17:56

scaffer is the man to talk to about this classic show - he was there...

what is interesting is this "new tape"...??

Have we got any updated info??

Date: May 16, 2008 19:07

The new tape source is being transferred as I type. Not sure when I will get it. I spoke to the good Doc, and he said its an slight improvement in quality, but not to get hopes too high.

JR

Posted by: BrianKeith ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:26

novica

This is JERRY GARCIA from GRATEFUL DEAD

[www.allmusic.com]

and Michael Shrieve from SANTANA

[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:31

Jerry, Mickey Hart and Phil Lesh.

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home