Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 03:30

latebloomer
Justin
latebloomer
Justin
If we know how much Mick hates mucking around the studio jamming and riffing on ideas in order to write a new song...Keith should have known this too and at least come a bit more prepared to the session instead of anticipating Mick to bring the song to the finish line. I wouldn't be surprised if Keith secretly is as disappointed as some of us are regarding how this tune eventually turned out. Even he probably knew "Doom and Gloom" was the more complete/polished single to release.

Yes, well in a perfect world Keith would suddenly become super organized and efficient and all would be right with the Stones. You could also say that Mick knows how Keith works and could meet him halfway by being willing to hang in there for a while and work on the song. Neither of them are going to change, but they used to know how to work with each other's differences. Anyway, it's all just speculation born out of wishful thinking that they can recreate the past. I don't usually go there, just want to enjoy them for what they are now, especially because none of them are getting any younger.

Yeah Mick could have met Keith half way and would have done so in any other scenario but this time it looks as though time was a huge factor and they just didn't have enough time to work on it any more than they did. Or maybe Mick simply didn't want to work on it any further? "This will have to do." Who knows what other scraps Keith brought in but it looks as though this was the most finished and/or the most appropriate song to put on the new comp. Perhaps as a way to not start trouble by rejecting Keith's songs, Mick just went forward with "One More Shot"...warts and all. Definitely not the best move...but definitely a desperate one.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like OMS, just putting my two cents in on Doxa's "..summary of Jaggers-Richards battle" flight of fancy.grinning smiley

What I find really ironic is that both Mick and Keith have lots of time now, what the heck else do they have to spend the day doing? There families are grown, they have incredibly comfortable lives, why couldn't they spend all the time in the world working on some songs together? There lives don't appear to be that much different from each other anymore. It's sad they can't seem to be able to do that, two old men just hanging out together. Maybe with the book drama behind them now and with some tour time together, they'll find some of the old spark and make it work.

Can they have comfort and a spark as well? The spark as it were is born of tension rather than comfort. All those great 60s albums were the result of a neck-n-neck friendly competition with The Beatles. When they made Beggar's Banquet for instance they had something to prove, a rock n roll reputation to reclaim after their psychedelic miscalculations. When they had to leave the country as tax exiles, they became a microsociety unto themselves and came up with Exile On Main Street. When the UK punk movement threatened to usurp their position in the music world, they toughened up and came up with Some Girls. Now that they have had this god-like rock royalty status lavished on them by the media and younger musical generations for so long as well as the money-raking megatours, they have become mature and contented, and as a result, artistically complacent. No more challenges, no more spark. Just a fuzzy-warm feel-good zone. And after you've had a huge comfort meal, you just want to lay down and chill rather than run a marathon to win.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 8, 2012 03:41

I love it. ))or loved it before UMG took it down((

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 8, 2012 03:45

The full album got leaked, it's all over the web.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2012 03:51

woot, clearer IBC Demos! grinning smiley

Date: November 8, 2012 03:53

I'm no native speaker, so it could be wrong, what I understand (and I tried very hard to understand the words), but referring to the lyrics somebody posted before, I understood some parts a little bit different (the green ones). Don't know, if that makes sense? I also see Keith appealing to Mick with this (again). The song seems to have stuck in the state of Keith wanting to express his feelings, his need to get Mick to work with him again, and it would have needed some more care to really finish it. Keith's solo songs usually sound a little unfinished, what often has it's charm, but when Mick sings these lyrics as Stones songs, it is strange. I quite like the song with the beginning of the chorus. Why did they (or Keith) publish this song with a quote of SFM as a starting riff (already the second time after the K'naan song) and didn't invent something else??? Or is this supposed to be some kind of nostalgic reminiscence to the good old times, when there were more shots left? It's a pitty that they didn't bother to work longer on these songs together, that Mick was glad to get out of the studio as quick as possible (he said something of that kind in an interview). Maybe Keith just can't do it on his own, he often said he doesn't like to work alone and is better with a songwriter partner. Mick's influence is missing on this one, though I guess Steve Jordan had some impact instead. Doom and Gloom almost doesn't have Keith on it, as it seems. And from his reaction (He doesn't "give a damn" and Mick wouldn't have learned how to play guitar (on D&G) without him teaching), I think he isn't happy about that (even if he claims, he doesn't care). This all seems so dysfuctional. I hope the 50 year concerts give them some energy to actually write together again and work on songs until they are really satisfying! I think these two songs are not that bad, but they could maybe do it better. So I say it's promising for a future album.

Oooh baby, I got a message for you
You got me doing something I thought I never would do

Give me one more
One more shot
And its all I've got
Give me one more shot

And take me back
I'm all yours, Jack

Yeah/Girl (?) you got me freaking
Yeah I'm overheating
Just when things were sweet
You kicked me in the street

Give me one more
One more shot
And its all I've got
And don't hang up on me

I'll Make your play
Yeah make my day

Put me in correction
For my own protection
In your jurisdiction
Spur the crucifixion

Give me one more shot
Babe its all I've got
Baby don't freeze up on me

One more shot

I love I love I love I love ya
I love I love I love I love
I love I love I love I

Na na na na na
Na na na na na

One more Shot
Give me one
Give me one more shot
And its all I've got

Just one more shot

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 8, 2012 04:06

I don't hear Keith anywhere in the backing vocals. Are we sure he's there?

Date: November 8, 2012 04:11

OneHit
I don't hear Keith anywhere in the backing vocals. Are we sure he's there?

I think, I clearly heared him in the "Love ya, love ya" part.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 8, 2012 04:25

I think it's a decent mid-album song. It has two things going for it. Firsty, it has a bit of swing to it, and I like that. Secondly, the recording and mix sound pretty earthy, I don't hear that horrible Steel Wheels sterilized and compressed sound.

Beyond that, this feels like the Stones. It's like old friends that have come back. It's even kind of endearing. Even if _this is it_, no new album, I am satisfied, I really am.

When I was a kid my friends would tease me and say that the Stones would soon be gone. Here we are, 42 years after the breakup of the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones have released a set of new songs. Just step back for a second and think about how profound that is.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2012 04:36

Rolling Stones magazine has a short story on the song.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Here's one from SPIN, calling OMS..."a classic-Stones rocker featuring Mick Jagger swagger-groveling to a presumably apathetic lover or maybe even a fan. Whoever it is, they'd be foolish to turn away from those infectious na-na-nas and that roiling guitar once they hit. Looking good, old timers, looking good."

[www.spin.com]

Spinner likes it too:

[www.spinner.com]

The song seems to be getting some love from the press, though you wouldn't know it here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 04:45 by latebloomer.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 8, 2012 04:41

@MileHigh - I agree with you on the sound. It does SOUND good from a technical perspective. The problem is the weak weak weak chorus and the 'nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah' junk. I always criticize it on pop music when applicable. To my memory, this is a first. Someone else on this thread described it as forgettable sitcom intro music... I AGREE!

This could be the intro to the TV show Friends. The I Love You part and the Nah Nah Nahs are as cheesy as possible.

Regarding the 'whiners', popular new term for displeased fans, I genuinely wanted to like this song. First listen I was horrified with the nahnah/loveyou parts. Can't believe the greatest rocknroll band has been reduced to this junky bad songwriting. Pure laziness.

The only redeeming part is Charlie and Daryl. Guitars 'sound' great, but the chorus just sounds whiny. The nahnahnah sounds taunting... Just doesn't make any sense.

Doom and Gloom KILLS this, either version. I only wish the album version had a drum mix as good as One More Shot.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:04

Listen Where??

This song isn't available now, apparently. New thread with permanent link?

Update/Edit: just saw the MP3 link that gotdablouse so thoughtfully provided. Thanks!

Initial thoughts: Intro guitar is a combo of Take it so Hard and some *older* intros of SFM, which is not a bad thing. It's not awful! And that's pretty high praise after SOL and some other later efforts. I like the mix and balance of instruments. Okay, that's a reaction after exactly ONE listen. We'll see how it ages. Not sure I get the albubbalubbalubbalub vocal thing...but whatever.

Thanks again for capturing the MP3 of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 05:23 by rocker1.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:04

Hmm, quite underwhelming ....like an ol' rusty Band Wagon with a flat tyre. Street Fighting Man intro starts..... but doesn't take off!.
Doh! off course, flat tyre! change gear into Mixed Emotions and then some AC/DC you shook me... some T&A, the Snitcher keeps snitchin' this whimsical musical.
then Ronnie finally gets it going (a bit) with the B-bender part on the nah nahnah thingy. ok, it's rolling, rolling.
ah, maybe it's only because it's going downhill.....

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:08

Thanks for sharing your download, gotdablouse. I missed listening to the original link and by tonight UMG had pulled it, of course. I like this one better than D&G, it's got more of a Keith feel to it but it's still nothing spectacular. You guys are spot on, they could have written this in 20 minutes, the lyrics are elementary school level at best. Too bad because it does have a good beat to it.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

-
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:21

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 05:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:28

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:31

After listening I get pieces of "Rough Justice" and "Take it so hard" running through my head.... not saying that means a damned thing... just saying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 05:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:35

Listening to this again since just hearing it only once earlier today...now with headphones.

I hate how much that tiny little riff in the chorus is so much like AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long." It's very distracting. It sounds great and all..but it's practically lifted from AC/DC's song.

Ronnie's work is pretty solid on the track. Him and Charlie sound fantastic here. The song worked much better on these listens than earlier today. Still nothing to write home about though. If anything, the only thing the song actually does effectively is prove that each member of the band can still play and perform well. Keith sounds just fine. So at least there's that.

Song's alright...something for a car ride or to put on while doing the dishes or something.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:40

Doxa
A quick summary of Jagger-Richards battle

Why did Jagger won? Why "Gloom & Doom" is and works better?

Not because Jagger is a better song-writer, but because time (and context) was on his side.

Namely, they recorded these two songs in four days or something. Jagger came up with the alraedy existing backing track into which the other Stones added their bits. Well, this is the way Jagger works - everything planned beforehand, and the everything in order, the song totally written. If they had spent four weeks in perfecting the track, it probably wouldn't have been much better (Mick would have just got bored). So the deal was perfect for Jagger.

But with Keith - bloody hell. He probably came up with a Wino or a solo demo, or just with some rough ideas. And since there was no time to think - hey, what kind of intro I might invite on this? how the parts should go? this here or that there, or leaving that altogether out, or something more there,.. now, a few more takes to find the right feel and the band to find the suitable groove, and Mick could do something for the lyrics and melody... - NO NO NO - no time for that!

I think, first of all, in both tracks the little time they used for doing them, shows rather clearly. But, secondly, thanks to Jagger's 'method' the results do not suffer so much (if at all). But in the case of Keith, it terribly shows...

- Doxa

Doxa, I basically agree with your summary. However, we don't know if Keith would have liked to have tinkered around more with the song during rehearsals and Mick shut him down for whatever reason. As far as I'm concerned, both songs could have been much improved had the Stones been willing to invest the time and effort. I honestly believe that the creative spirit is still there but these days they can't be bothered to explore it as a band anymore and that's really sad IMO.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:42

Justin

I hate how much that tiny little riff in the chorus is so much like AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long." It's very distracting. It sounds great and all..but it's practically lifted from AC/DC's song.

I agree...but isn't it so nice to be able to compare a riff in a modern-day Stones song to one in an AC/DC song? (I mean...guitars have been AWOL for soooo long...at least live.) So hey...this bugs me less than maybe it should.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:54

What do you want from these guys! At least something new. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2012 05:55

stonesnow
I'm having a bit of a chuckle over the difference in reaction by people in this forum between Doom and Gloom and One More Shot.

The day Doom and Gloom debuted, most here were wetting themselves with enthusiasm over how great they thought it was. However, for One More Shot, those same Doom and Gloom enthusiasts are tepid at best in their reaction to this Keith song.

I think it shows that a good many here favor Mick as a songwriter over Keith. Mick writes like he's going for a hit single, and a lot of people here seem to favor that approach. But whereas Mick writes like he's following the latest music industry flavor of the month trend, with electronic drums and trendy mix effects galore, Keith is still writing like he's writing for The Stones, and that means a basic bare-knuckle rock n roll sense of how The Stones should sound as a unit. You hear a riff, you hear Charlie's drums, you have a crystal clear solo from Ronnie.

And yes, I'll take Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender any day over Goddess in the Doorway and whatever else Mick writes, because that's basically what it is. It's only Jagger-Richards when the royalty checks are printed.

why get yer knickers in a twist if everyone doesn't love the song like you do?

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: November 8, 2012 06:00

Well, at least in One More Shot i listen Charlie drumming.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 8, 2012 06:02

I like it, yes I do.

Date: November 8, 2012 06:04

Rocket88
For what it's worth, the song is in fact better than the tracks tagged on to '40 Licks', other than "Don't Stop". Nothing to write home about but not embarrassing either.

I certainly think it's better than all the new tracks on 40 licks, Don't Stop included.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 06:10

treaclefingers
stonesnow
I'm having a bit of a chuckle over the difference in reaction by people in this forum between Doom and Gloom and One More Shot.

The day Doom and Gloom debuted, most here were wetting themselves with enthusiasm over how great they thought it was. However, for One More Shot, those same Doom and Gloom enthusiasts are tepid at best in their reaction to this Keith song.

I think it shows that a good many here favor Mick as a songwriter over Keith. Mick writes like he's going for a hit single, and a lot of people here seem to favor that approach. But whereas Mick writes like he's following the latest music industry flavor of the month trend, with electronic drums and trendy mix effects galore, Keith is still writing like he's writing for The Stones, and that means a basic bare-knuckle rock n roll sense of how The Stones should sound as a unit. You hear a riff, you hear Charlie's drums, you have a crystal clear solo from Ronnie.

And yes, I'll take Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender any day over Goddess in the Doorway and whatever else Mick writes, because that's basically what it is. It's only Jagger-Richards when the royalty checks are printed.

Treac, I didn't say I was wound up about it. "Having a bit of a chuckle" means I'm amused at how the consensus reaction is the exact opposite to what it was for Doom and Gloom. I'm merely pointing out that people here seem to prefer Mick's songwriting over Keith's. I didn't say I loved the song, either. In my first post I said I liked it. It's okay. Musically speaking, it sounds more like what a Stones track should sound like. Song-wise, I'm not so much in the Mick camp, so I naturally wasn't on board with Doom and Gloom, whereas Keith's tune is, well, not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 8, 2012 06:34

I missed this the first time around, so I've just come to it after reading six pages of comments.

Now I know why it took a while at the Crossfire Hurricane premiere to realise that what I was hearing wasn't Street Fighting Man but something different. And then a bit of Take It So Hard (again) and even a bit of Little T&A, plus echoes of AC/DC (where D&G has echoes of ZZ Top). Well, the Stones have always recycled their own and other people's stuff, but what this obviously hasn't had is enough time for all these ingredients to be mixed and shaken together to come out as a new song. It isn't a whole yet, just a lot of parts - some of which I do like, but it sounds like a demo, with Mick singing Na Na Na's over the bits he hasn't done the lyrics for yet.

A pity, because the guitar part at the end really gets going - this might have been a decent song, but it's been left undercooked.

Date: November 8, 2012 07:00

stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

Treac, I didn't say I was wound up about it. "Having a bit of a chuckle" means I'm amused at how the consensus reaction is the exact opposite to what it was for Doom and Gloom. I'm merely pointing out that people here seem to prefer Mick's songwriting over Keith's. I didn't say I loved the song, either. In my first post I said I liked it. It's okay. Musically speaking, it sounds more like what a Stones track should sound like. Song-wise, I'm not so much in the Mick camp, so I naturally wasn't on board with Doom and Gloom, whereas Keith's tune is, well, not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Point taken, my bad! Sorry I misunderstood.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: November 8, 2012 07:13

another Jerry song

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 8, 2012 07:19

I dig it. Hope to hear it on the 13th!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2012 07:24

...great jangling...loose hipped Stones rocker ..... PLAY LOUD

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home