Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: single WORST Stones song EVER!
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 8, 2013 01:35

Weird. On this site and on the Steve Hoffman forum, someone has revived threads about the worst Stones song. I smell a troll.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 8, 2013 01:47

I really like Indian Girl. It sounds really good in headphones. I didn't when I first heard it though.
Winning Ugly is one I don't think I will ever like.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2013 01:57

FrankM
andrewt
jamesfdouglas
Streets of Love.

Or as Buckwheat would say: seats pa nub.

That's gotta be at the top of my list right now as well.

There are other misfires but this piece of sh*t was shoved in our faces as a single,on tv and in stadiums.

Maybe they know what to release as a single better than you? smiling smiley.

Well they certainly used to!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 8, 2013 02:16

....mid to late 80's all sounds bad...but the one song to this day that I really don't like,,,,and probably most because of the ridiculous lyrics is You Got Me Rockin'

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: April 8, 2013 02:56

I would put Melody and Fight right at the top, or perhaps bottom, depending on how you look at it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 04:27

GRNRBITW
loog droog
71Tele
I think Too Much Blood is about the biggest steaming turd they have ever laid on us. Utterly unlistenable.

There have been bad records before (My Girl) and after (Back To Zero, etc.) but Too Much Blood stands out because it was the first record that didn't even sound like the Stones played on it...I can't make out the style of Charlie... or Keith...or anybody in the band behind Mick.

Those ultra-slick horns heralded that the Stones were trying to stay relevant in the post-Thriller pop music world. For me the worst part is where Mick name-drops The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The Stones were so late to the party on that one, I just recall thinking that it was sad how out of touch they were.

Unlike the Satanic Majesties era, where they were just keeping up with current style, in this case they were old men trying to stay "with it." Where some earlier misfires (like Indian Girl) might have been ridiculous, Too Much Blood was the first time that the Stones looked pathetic.

agreed. just a little less blood would have been preferred.

All that was said above I agree with. It just doesn't sound like The Stones at all. Sounds like a garish Jagger solo outing...from the drum machines, horns, and his terrible acting/singing schtick that he does on it. Terrible.

Date: April 10, 2013 16:01

sanQ
I really like Indian Girl. It sounds really good in headphones. I didn't when I first heard it though.
Winning Ugly is one I don't think I will ever like.

Indian girl

I have disliked this songs for years...in fact I have hated it since the very first time.

I nowadays find it listenable. I prefer it than hearing Miss You live anytime.

Date: April 10, 2013 16:07

Indian Girl, Fight, Melody and Too Much Blood are all better than this one:

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 16:19

I wish I knew the names of some of the songs(then again maybe not) . But on Serius radio when they had an all Stones station I heard some of the most god awful stuff . I mean it was cheap and the sound was horrible. It was like they just recorded what they thought sounded like a song . At least later on when they didn't a stinker is was at least produced better.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 10, 2013 16:23

Shattered (Ronnie's guitar part is great)
Cherry Oh Baby (7th July '76 version is ok)
Hold On Your Hat (Alternate version is actually great)
I Just Wanna See His Face (Not Even A Song)
Break The Spell (Boring)
Can You Hear The Music (Better than Criss Cross Man ?)
Rough Justice (Even worse live)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 20:32 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 16:31

stonesstein
This is FASCINATING!!!! I love reading all this, and as the result, I am inspired to list my "bottom-10" Stones' songs of all time and some brief commentary:

1. Anyway You Look At It - just positively horrible by any band anywhere. Drags along and perhaps the absolute worst Mick "ballad" ever forced upon the Stones. They ought to be ashamed!

2. Back to Zero - Chuck's crowning achievement - a writing credit with the Stones! Might this have been indicative of that to come? And I like Dirty Work a lot more than Bridges and Steel Wheels, but this one is in a class by itself!

3. Indian Girl - always a horror show of formulaic cheese....what was Mick wanting to write a song like this for, and why didn't Keith call "bs"? Really scary foreshadowing of bad bad bad bad Mick ballads to come!

4. Anybody Seen My Baby? - THE worst Stones single of all time! Mick's pitiful attempt at being 1997 relevant actually sounds about 8 years too late and even then, this thing is so BORING. How in Hades could he think that anyone would want to hear this crap from the Stones? Is Mick that out of touch? I never thought the Stones would stoop to putting out second-rate R&B-funk with a tinge of rap, and "I don't like it, like it, no I don't!" If this isn't bad enough, they friggin stole half of it from KD Lang and thus, had to give her credit. Sorry, KD, though I guess the money is a good salve on the wound! And, Charlie Watts, you're wrong - this is NOT good!

5. Losing My Touch/Keys to Your Heart/Don't Stop are all grouped together for their collective indicia of a nadir seldom seen among this band's work. While there have been very poor LPs (Bridges and Steel Wheels come to mind), even they have some excellent songs on them. However, the lameness of the band's new LICKS offerings is only absent on Stealing My Heart, and even that escapes by the barest of margins.

6. Terrifying/Almost Hear You Sigh/Hearts for Sale/Blinded By Love/Break the Spell - SURPRISE! 1/2 of Steel Wheels is an insult to the band's prior catalog due to its contrived and slapdash composition. Clearly, the Stones had so little in the can after the first of the public feuds b/t the Glimmers until the bottom of the barrel is splashed all over this record! I KNOW it's 5 songs at once, but it's like one HUGE spoonful of schlock complete with studio tan production! UGH!

7. I Got the Blues - REALLY, I am serious. Tribute, my ass! This is the Stones' attempt to write a Stax-tribute, and it drags along and it's hard to say what is worse, Mick's forced and wavering vocals or the horns that just will not go away! YES, I skip this song every time I play the record. NO, I did not upload it into iTunes with the rest of the record, and I am soooooooo happy I did not!

8. Gomper/The Lantern - As Jon Landau wrote in Rolling Stone when Satanic came out - it would've made an INCREDIBLE EP. However, when the grand experiment falls on its ass, it REALLY falls. Come on, guys! Carry the lantern higher than this wavering, listless crap!

9. If You Let Me - no, the pre-psychedelic period is not immune from scheis, and this track is about as bad as it gets from the period. Here, the Stones are doing their best Kinks imitation! Oh, the Joy! Runner up from this era - "Surprise, Surprise" - blah!

10. If You Really Want to Be My Friend - see I Got the Blues and mix it with Anybody Seen My Baby? The Stones go Gamble & Huff, and Gamble & Huff go "puke!" at this really contrived effort. Boring, in a word, and it's NOT only rock and roll.

BONUS - Worst Original LP -[/color] (you guessed it!) Steel Wheels. Many other groups would've given their eye teeth to have an LP this good, but given that we are dealing with the Stones, one has to find bottom somewhere. When asked about Abbey Road having been recorded while the fighting was escalating b/t him and Paul, John Lennon said, "We put out something slick to preserve the myth." Well, Steels Wheels is the Stones' attempt to put out something to revive the machine and tour the world behind. Only problem is that they only had a short EP's worth of songs to "say." After Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift, this rekkid gets REAL shallow REAL quick.

BONUS #2 - Worst cover song -[/color] My Girl - so many from which to choose such as I've Been Loving You Too Long, Love In Vain (yes, THAT one!), You Better Move On, Love Train, You Can Make It if You Try, and let us not forget that stellar gem, The Nearness of You, but My Girl sinks below all to land on the ocean floor with the whale crap. C'mon, did anyone really think that this was a good version?

There you have it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

I don't agree with everything you say (Dirty Work is by far their worst album by the way) but I sure enjoyed reading it!

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 10, 2013 17:24

sjs12
stonesstein
This is FASCINATING!!!! I love reading all this, and as the result, I am inspired to list my "bottom-10" Stones' songs of all time and some brief commentary:

1. Anyway You Look At It - just positively horrible by any band anywhere. Drags along and perhaps the absolute worst Mick "ballad" ever forced upon the Stones. They ought to be ashamed!

2. Back to Zero - Chuck's crowning achievement - a writing credit with the Stones! Might this have been indicative of that to come? And I like Dirty Work a lot more than Bridges and Steel Wheels, but this one is in a class by itself!

3. Indian Girl - always a horror show of formulaic cheese....what was Mick wanting to write a song like this for, and why didn't Keith call "bs"? Really scary foreshadowing of bad bad bad bad Mick ballads to come!

4. Anybody Seen My Baby? - THE worst Stones single of all time! Mick's pitiful attempt at being 1997 relevant actually sounds about 8 years too late and even then, this thing is so BORING. How in Hades could he think that anyone would want to hear this crap from the Stones? Is Mick that out of touch? I never thought the Stones would stoop to putting out second-rate R&B-funk with a tinge of rap, and "I don't like it, like it, no I don't!" If this isn't bad enough, they friggin stole half of it from KD Lang and thus, had to give her credit. Sorry, KD, though I guess the money is a good salve on the wound! And, Charlie Watts, you're wrong - this is NOT good!

5. Losing My Touch/Keys to Your Heart/Don't Stop are all grouped together for their collective indicia of a nadir seldom seen among this band's work. While there have been very poor LPs (Bridges and Steel Wheels come to mind), even they have some excellent songs on them. However, the lameness of the band's new LICKS offerings is only absent on Stealing My Heart, and even that escapes by the barest of margins.

6. Terrifying/Almost Hear You Sigh/Hearts for Sale/Blinded By Love/Break the Spell - SURPRISE! 1/2 of Steel Wheels is an insult to the band's prior catalog due to its contrived and slapdash composition. Clearly, the Stones had so little in the can after the first of the public feuds b/t the Glimmers until the bottom of the barrel is splashed all over this record! I KNOW it's 5 songs at once, but it's like one HUGE spoonful of schlock complete with studio tan production! UGH!

7. I Got the Blues - REALLY, I am serious. Tribute, my ass! This is the Stones' attempt to write a Stax-tribute, and it drags along and it's hard to say what is worse, Mick's forced and wavering vocals or the horns that just will not go away! YES, I skip this song every time I play the record. NO, I did not upload it into iTunes with the rest of the record, and I am soooooooo happy I did not!

8. Gomper/The Lantern - As Jon Landau wrote in Rolling Stone when Satanic came out - it would've made an INCREDIBLE EP. However, when the grand experiment falls on its ass, it REALLY falls. Come on, guys! Carry the lantern higher than this wavering, listless crap!

9. If You Let Me - no, the pre-psychedelic period is not immune from scheis, and this track is about as bad as it gets from the period. Here, the Stones are doing their best Kinks imitation! Oh, the Joy! Runner up from this era - "Surprise, Surprise" - blah!

10. If You Really Want to Be My Friend - see I Got the Blues and mix it with Anybody Seen My Baby? The Stones go Gamble & Huff, and Gamble & Huff go "puke!" at this really contrived effort. Boring, in a word, and it's NOT only rock and roll.

BONUS - Worst Original LP -[/color] (you guessed it!) Steel Wheels. Many other groups would've given their eye teeth to have an LP this good, but given that we are dealing with the Stones, one has to find bottom somewhere. When asked about Abbey Road having been recorded while the fighting was escalating b/t him and Paul, John Lennon said, "We put out something slick to preserve the myth." Well, Steels Wheels is the Stones' attempt to put out something to revive the machine and tour the world behind. Only problem is that they only had a short EP's worth of songs to "say." After Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift, this rekkid gets REAL shallow REAL quick.

BONUS #2 - Worst cover song -[/color] My Girl - so many from which to choose such as I've Been Loving You Too Long, Love In Vain (yes, THAT one!), You Better Move On, Love Train, You Can Make It if You Try, and let us not forget that stellar gem, The Nearness of You, but My Girl sinks below all to land on the ocean floor with the whale crap. C'mon, did anyone really think that this was a good version?

There you have it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

I don't agree with everything you say (Dirty Work is by far their worst album by the way) but I sure enjoyed reading it!

Fascinating!!! If You Let me and If You Really Want To Be My Friend were blocked out for years, they´re really so crappy! Same with I Got The Blues.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 10, 2013 17:51

Number 6 - "Almost Hear You Sigh" - WTF?

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: April 10, 2013 20:11

Any stone song with the lyrics: she's so cold cold cold like a ice cream cone makes my list! Put your hand on the heat, put your hand on the heat
Aw C'mon baby, let's go TERRIBLE!!!!

SHES SO COLD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 20:14 by jackdog.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 10, 2013 21:01

jackdog
Any stone song with the lyrics: she's so cold cold cold like a ice cream cone makes my list! Put your hand on the heat, put your hand on the heat

SHES SO COLD

Brilliant song. An absolute highlight on ER.

Date: April 10, 2013 22:01

Stonesstein, I like most of the songs you hate grinning smiley

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: April 10, 2013 22:33

BowieStone
jackdog

SHES SO COLD

One of the Stones worst albums and though I will admit a snappy tune the lyrics are bubblegum pop and kills it for me. Each his own...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:57

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:59

jackdog
BowieStone
jackdog

SHES SO COLD

One of the Stones worst albums and though I will admit a snappy tune the lyrics are bubblegum pop and kills it for me. Each his own...

It's all about the Tele tone...Mick is just fluff

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:18

Indian girl, patronising s**t, absolutely minging. Hope they don' t play it on this tour.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:37

Hot Stuff

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:25

laertisflash
Hot Stuff

I've reported your post to BV

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:30

Erik_Snow
laertisflash
Hot Stuff

I've reported your post to BV

i've reported some of my own posts to him...he just ignores everything.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:52

Prove it. Post under your old names again.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:54

Rocky Dijon
Prove it. Post under your old names again.

they aren't old names. some are retired. some are dead. some are in recovery. others i'm still using. please try to keep up.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:55

I do try, but I only use natural methods. A running scorecard of your names would help. Since my head injury, I find it difficult to remember my own.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:57

Just to stay on topic, I still vote for "Too Much Blood" unless we open it up to Mick and Keith solo and then I vote for "Charmed Life."

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:01

The absolute horror... A Chuck song I think. No other explication smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 20:07 by roby.

Posted by: stoggin ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:08

I'm newish here but I have a short list

Everything on satanic majesties' except 2000 light years.
Send it to me
indian girl

Dirty Work is uniformly poor and I haven't got much time for Tattoo You or Steel Wheels.

On the flip, really like Voodoo Lounge of the later work

Date: May 7, 2013 20:11

Rocky Dijon
I do try, but I only use natural methods. A running scorecard of your names would help.

bv, skipstone, doxa, edwardtwining, phillesh, gazza, erik_snow....

there are more of course, but that'll refresh your memory....

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home