Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Charie is my darling box set live CD - actual content ?
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 11, 2012 22:28

Just listened to the live cd; absolutely incredible!
I never expected this, top quality, a must have!

To quote Andrew: "Cast deep in your pockets for loot to buy this disc of groovies and fancy words. If you don't have bread, see that blind man..."

Date: November 11, 2012 22:42

Nice summary Thabo. I think all of the footage except for the Jagger interview snap shots actually was shot in Sept of '65 in Ireland. IIRC, those however are not part of the original film and only now have been inserted in this version. "Going Home" was recorded in 12/65 and inserted in the soundtrack, but the footage I think is still 9/65.

As far as the live audio goes, I think the section of "I'm Alright" beginning at 18:00 where fans start storming the stage actually may be from the real live performance. If you listen closely, you'll notice a segue right at that point from the well-known Got Live If You Want It EP track. It actually doesn't sound half bad. I truly wish for the sake of authenticity they had used the real audio for the performances, even if not in as good of quality as the pro-recorded stuff actually used.

But otherwise, very happy that this crucial piece of Stone's history has finally been nicely restored and made available to the masses.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:37

GetRhythmicProductions
Nice summary Thabo. I think all of the footage except for the Jagger interview snap shots actually was shot in Sept of '65 in Ireland. IIRC, those however are not part of the original film and only now have been inserted in this version. "Going Home" was recorded in 12/65 and inserted in the soundtrack, but the footage I think is still 9/65.

As far as the live audio goes, I think the section of "I'm Alright" beginning at 18:00 where fans start storming the stage actually may be from the real live performance. If you listen closely, you'll notice a segue right at that point from the well-known Got Live If You Want It EP track. It actually doesn't sound half bad. I truly wish for the sake of authenticity they had used the real audio for the performances, even if not in as good of quality as the pro-recorded stuff actually used.

But otherwise, very happy that this crucial piece of Stone's history has finally been nicely restored and made available to the masses.

I like how Bill just keeps going as the stage is stormed.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:48

tkl7
GetRhythmicProductions

I like how Bill just keeps going as the stage is stormed.

Bill is there? I thought he was photoshoped during film restoration process.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:29

I love this board...Thanks to you guys i am going to order the box set..
Thank you!!

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 14, 2012 07:37

As I'm listening to the live disc, its neat to juxtapose it with GYYO recorded just 4 years later. In those 4 years the Stones have went from teenyboppers to rock musicians (much as there other contemporaries The Who and The kinks among others had). On "England 65" we have ONE original (I don't count I'm Alright or Off the Hook as they were rewrites of older blues songs) while just 4 years later the covers aren't just the groups interpretations of the songs but rather they are the Stones own versions of other songs (especially Little Queenie which has been slown down and is devoid of it signature Chuck Berry Riff). Finally there is the atmosphere. The fans (like most of the era, see the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl) create white noise against the music. By 1969 fans really listened to the group and appreciated the music.
I know that most of what I have written is rock n roll cliche: 60's pop band turns into rock band, etc. but with an unadalturated release of a Stones Concert (or Concerts?) from 1965 the difference is much more stark and easily recognized.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: November 14, 2012 12:58

I doubt the versions of this Live cd are the same as were on the original "Got Live If You Want It!" EP. On the other hand, the audio of Satisfaction live in the film sounds identical to the version of "Have You Seen Your Mother Live" LP, later re-named and re-issued as "Got Live If You Want It" CDs. Listening to other sources of Satisfaction played live in 65 & 66 you hear the difference - the speeded-up tempo and pseudo-endings appear in 66 but not in 65. But as usual, I might have gotten the whole thing wrong and anyway, it´s worth listening and comparing over and over.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 14, 2012 13:30

Got it last night. First impression was the box is nicely made. Really like the film cell and how it sits in the box. So far I've only had a chance to play the live cd and wow! as stated above in this thread. I'm already happy with this alone. Can't wait to hear and see the rest.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 14, 2012 14:11

How much longer is the new film compared to what we had as a bootleg?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 14, 2012 19:14

I finally listened to the live CD today from the super deluxe package box set. This concert stuff from 1965 captures the band in full tilt. Never mind the screaming, as it does not detract from this one bit. This was no pop band playing here. Just pure in your face r and b. My goodness, could they rock it it up or what? I wish we could get more live material from this era with high quality audio. While I love the more refined sound from the Stones later in the post Brian era, the early stuff remains more exciting. Raw and full of enthusiasm.

Again, this box set is excellent and a real treat for the fans.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:27

So is this version of Satisfaction from 1965 or 1966?

Knowing how the GLIYWI! LP used such a bastardized list of tracks, I can believe it was from '65. The book mentions how fast they played it (for the first time) on the '65 Irish tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:45

filstan
I finally listened to the live CD today from the super deluxe package box set. This concert stuff from 1965 captures the band in full tilt. Never mind the screaming, as it does not detract from this one bit. This was no pop band playing here. Just pure in your face r and b. My goodness, could they rock it it up or what? I wish we could get more live material from this era with high quality audio. While I love the more refined sound from the Stones later in the post Brian era, the early stuff remains more exciting. Raw and full of enthusiasm.

Again, this box set is excellent and a real treat for the fans.

Yes, it was great going through the DVD for the first time. I also listened to the Tour of England CD.

Great stuff...highly recommend this. Lots of goodies for a reasonable price, (compared to most box sets certainly!)

Date: November 20, 2012 01:59

"Satisfaction" here is obviously the GLIYWI recording from Fall '66. If you listen to other live recordings of "Satisfaction" from around the same time period (Ready Steady Go 9/65, St. Kilda and Paris from Spring '66) they weren't playing it anywhere near this fast at the time.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 20, 2012 03:06

>Have You Seen Your Mother Live" LP, later re-named and re-issued as "Got Live If You Want It" CDs.

You've got it backwards. GOT LIVE... lp was the original; HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE was a Decca release issued slightly later:

"Issued in Europe in the end of 1966 or possibly in January 1967.

No exact issue dates have been found. The US Got Live If You Want It was issued on December 10th 1966.

This is an UK made LP but it was never sold in UK during the 60’s. It was mostly sold in Scandinavia and possibly also in Germany. It became available in UK in the beginning of the 70's with the boxed logo."

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: November 20, 2012 11:50

GetRhythmicProductions
"Satisfaction" here is obviously the GLIYWI recording from Fall '66. If you listen to other live recordings of "Satisfaction" from around the same time period (Ready Steady Go 9/65, St. Kilda and Paris from Spring '66) they weren't playing it anywhere near this fast at the time.

So I guess I'm the only one to find it strange they put a 1966 version of Satisfation on a 1965 box set???

The fact that this version plays so fast was exactly my point. Wyman claims to have played it fastest in Ireland 1965.

what evidence is there that it is actually from 1966?

Date: November 23, 2012 19:41

The best evidence is your ears. All the Fall '66 recordings on the GLIYWI LP (i.e., everything but "Time Is On My Side", "I'm Alright" and the two studio tracks) have a certain sonic signature. If you listen to any other Stones' live recordings from that era (including boots), you will find no other tracks that sound similar to these.

Yes, it's strange that they put a 1966 version of "Satisfaction" on a 1965 box set, but they also put a 1964 version of "Around and Around" on there as well. Given that they decided not to use whatever live audio might have been recorded on the Irish gigs shown in the film for whatever reason, it appears that they just went with what they thought sounded best and could most easily be synched with the extant live footage.

Unfortunate in my opinion (as I've posted elsewhere, I'd have much preferred they used the authentic live audio - even if not quite as well recorded), but it is what it is.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home