Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A great clip: When Mick met Pinetop Perkins
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 7, 2012 17:33

DandelionPowderman
[The way Pinetop shrugged off Chuck, and refused to jam more was priceless thumbs up

No, it's simply unfriendly and comes across as pretty arrogant. If Pinetop is not interested in meeting the "youngsters", why go there at all?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2012 17:35

alimente
DandelionPowderman
[The way Pinetop shrugged off Chuck, and refused to jam more was priceless thumbs up

No, it's simply unfriendly and comes across as pretty arrogant. If Pinetop is not interested in meeting the "youngsters", why go there at all?

I agree, actually. It's just like refusing to shake somebody's hand, it's a drastic and arrogant thing to do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-07 17:36 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 7, 2012 17:36

alimente
DandelionPowderman

I don't think that's what was going on.

Pinetop didn't like Chuck playing a zillion flashy notes per second.

Pinetop said something like "I only got 10 fingers".

Chuck needed to back off and show some respect - this wasn't about him.

But Chuck does that with the Stones as well which is why I have a problem with him.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 7, 2012 17:39

Erik_Snow
alimente
DandelionPowderman

I agree, actually. It's just like refusing to shake somebody's hand, it's a drastic and arrogant thing to do

Wrong...Pinetop don't play on Sundays...its not his thing.
I guess you have to live around here to know that.

Date: November 7, 2012 17:40

GravityBoy
alimente
DandelionPowderman

But Chuck does that with the Stones as well which is why I have a problem with him.

Don't know what was going on exactly, but I see some of this being true.

Date: November 7, 2012 17:48

Munichhilton
GravityBoy
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Don't know what was going on exactly, but I see some of this being true.

It was a clash of egos then, making a big deal out of just a nice, short meeting. And "playing on Sundays" - it's not like he was asked to play a full show or so, but if he really is that sensitive, he should not have attended at all.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2012 18:25

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
alimente
DandelionPowderman

He was playing before Chuck started. I thought the point was that he "wouldn't play blues"

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 7, 2012 18:29

Do you all understand that Pinetop was almost 100 years old at this meeting?
How much could you truly expect of him?
The Stones, he knew. Chuck was just a showoff white boy to him.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 7, 2012 18:35

I had the great privilige pf seeing Pinetop with the Muddy Waters band in the 1980s. Nice clip. Thanks so much for posting.

Date: November 7, 2012 19:22

stonesrule

Respect always works both ways or it does not work at all, 100 years old or not.

Date: November 7, 2012 19:24

Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
alimente
DandelionPowderman

He was playing before Chuck started. I thought the point was that he "wouldn't play blues"

Actually he wont play trumpet on Sundays either...
He also won't play hopscotch without real scotch

He was a classic

Date: November 7, 2012 19:35

Alimente, this has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.
Haven't you ever heard the saying, "Respect your elders"?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 7, 2012 23:09

You don't regard Blues (in contrast to Boogie Woogie) as piano music. Face it, maybe, Chuck is more than the only Blues pianist left - and he was hired by our favourite band for that reason.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 7, 2012 23:28

alimente
stonesrule

Respect always works both ways or it does not work at all, 100 years old or not.

Is that you Chuck?

Date: November 8, 2012 00:25

stonesrule

Thanks for the compliment, I'm overwhelmed.

But what the hell does "respect your elders" have to do with the situation as shown in the video?

Date: November 8, 2012 00:30

GravityBoy
alimente
stonesrule

Is that you Chuck?

This is getting silly.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 8, 2012 00:56

alimente
stonesrule

But what the hell does "respect your elders" have to do with the situation as shown in the video?

Maybe because Pinetop Perkins was 92 years old during the time when this clip was filmed.You deserve some respect for that alone IMO. Mr. Perkins was a special guest backstage. He'd played with The Stones' biggest idols. He knew Robert Johnson PERSONALLY and was the last of the old bluesmen who actually did. I guess Mick and Keith would have so much respect for this old legend that they would never try to impress him with fancy licks and tricks because they know their place in the blues hierarchy. Mick clearly demonstrates his deep respect in this clip, just watch how he tells his son that Pinetop won't play blues on Sundays - like he's warning him: "Don't ask him to play the blues!"

I don't think it's right to call it a "clash of egos" (as you did earlier in the thread) when Pinetop didn't want to join Chuck's boogie woogie invitation. At the age of 92 and with that history, Pinetop had nothing prove - and he didn't bother to try either. To Chuck's defense, maybe he just was overwhelmed by his presence.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2012 01:10

The Worst.
alimente
stonesrule

Maybe because Pinetop Perkins was 92 years old during the time when this clip was filmed.You deserve some respect for that alone IMO. Mr. Perkins was a special guest backstage. He'd played with The Stones' biggest idols. He knew Robert Johnson PERSONALLY and was the last of the old bluesmen who actually did. I guess Mick and Keith would have so much respect for this old legend that they would never try to impress him with fancy licks and tricks because they know their place in the blues hierarchy. Mick clearly demonstrates his deep respect in this clip, just watch how he tells his son that Pinetop won't play blues on Sundays - like he's warning him: "Don't ask him to play the blues!"

I don't think it's right to call it a "clash of egos" (as you did earlier in the thread) when Pinetop didn't want to join Chuck's boogie woogie invitation. At the age of 92 and with that history, Pinetop had nothing prove - and he didn't bother to try either. To Chuck's defense, maybe he just was overwhelmed by his presence.

I also think Chuck should be cut some slack here. He looks nervous and we don't know what the intent was behind the filming, maybe he was asked to try and get Perkins to play. Mick was fantastic.

Date: November 8, 2012 01:42

The Worst.
alimente
stonesrule

All good and well, and I know Pinetop's history, but what the hell did Chuck wrong to justify this "no respect" tag? I mean it's not exactly that Chuck's a youngster who does take the piss out of Pinetop, and not knowing the man and his legacy.

All I can see is that he is trying to get some kind of access to Pinetop and getting increasingly nervous when he sensed that it does not work. Add the fact that Mick and cameras were present and I can imagine that Chuck must have felt like shit in this situation.

I mean what's the big deal anyway with this short meeting? There's no need to blow it up to historical proportions, it's not Caesar meeting Cleoptra or whatever, it's musicians meeting, so what's so difficult to be nice to each other for 5 or 10 minutes of your lifetime, even if you're 92 years old?

I only hope that the people here who criticize Chuck and applaud Pinetop find the right words immediately if they ever meet one of their heroes, be it Mick, Keith or whoever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 01:48 by alimente.

Date: November 8, 2012 18:09

Alimente, when YOU are 92 years old we will be coming after you with the video cameras. You'd better behave!

Date: November 8, 2012 18:29

stonesrule
Alimente, when YOU are 92 years old we will be coming after you with the video cameras. You'd better behave!

That's why I hate video cameras and staged events!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 18:30 by alimente.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:38

WHY won't play blues on Sundays ??

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:08

.......ya just don't boogie ya woogie on the Sabbath ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2012 22:12

Blues is the Devil's music.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home