Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Aerosmith Not Phoning It In
Date: November 4, 2012 19:54

Adams
keefriffhard4life
looks like you have to buy it at wal mart to get every track coming out for this thing. wal mart has the exclusive track "shakey ground"

Nope, you need to get Japanese deluxe: 17 songs on cd1 and 3 on cd2

just noticed that damn. guess i'll be missing the cover of "i'm not talkin".

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 4, 2012 19:58

Funny line from The Cleveland Show...
"We were just trying to be funny, you know, a joke band... like 'Spinal Tap' or 'Aerosmith'."

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: November 4, 2012 21:38

best song on the album IMO ...Last Child on steroids

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 5, 2012 12:31

Some nice bits and pieces, but the whole songs are not really up to par, imo.

It's funny hearing Perry sing, though smiling smiley

On Spotify there were 18 tracks, no? Many of them with Perry on vocals.

"I'm a freedom fighter..." LOL!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 5, 2012 13:10

Tyler IS phoning it in though -he is singing over a pre-recorded backing track wich has at least two tracks of his own vocals. So you're hearing his voice at least three times, and I am not too sure what his live vocals are though.

Anywayz, nice band, but they only made 3 good albums: Pump, Get A Grip and Nine Lives. Their 70's work isn't doing anything for me.

Mathijs

Date: November 5, 2012 13:17

Mathijs
Tyler IS phoning it in though -he is singing over a pre-recorded backing track wich has at least two tracks of his own vocals. So you're hearing his voice at least three times, and I am not too sure what his live vocals are though.

Anywayz, nice band, but they only made 3 good albums: Pump, Get A Grip and Nine Lives. Their 70's work isn't doing anything for me.

Mathijs

If you like Pump, why not Permanent Vacation? imo, their best album.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 5, 2012 13:55

I've got a LOT of time for Aerosmith, up to and including Done With Mirrors

A tad less so for PV and Pump that followed

But from what i've heard so far, this new one is as @#$%& dire and everything since then

Not so much 'phoning it in' as 'completely shitting it out'

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 5, 2012 13:55

DandelionPowderman

WTF ???

Date: November 5, 2012 14:01

andy js
DandelionPowderman

WTF ???

Yeah, I know there is cringeworthy stuff on it.

However, some of the best stuff they ever did is also in there:

Hangman Jury (Leadbelly)
I'm Down (Beatles)
St. John (good blues)
The Girl Keeps Coming Apart (great funk)
Simoraiah

The hits are ok, too, imo.

And I like Toys, Make It, Get Your Wings and Rocks as much as the next guy - but few of those albums have as many great tracks as PV.

Date: November 5, 2012 14:14

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Because PV has some good tracks, and some very, very awful tracks (Angel! WTF!), and the production hasn't aged well. Pump, GAG and 9L and fabulous, hardly without a mediocre track, and have stood the test of time quite well.

Mathijs

Date: November 5, 2012 14:17

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Because PV has some good tracks, and some very, very awful tracks (Angel! WTF!), and the production hasn't aged well. Pump, GAG and 9L and fabulous, hardly without a mediocre track, and have stood the test of time quite well.

Mathijs

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, you got Janie and What It Takes on Pump in the same category. I agree about the production on PV, though.

GAG and 9L I find mediocre even by Aerosmith's standards. Done With Mirrors must be the weirdest album they ever released. No hits, or commercial appeal whatsoever. Still, I like it in a way...

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 5, 2012 14:50

"Sweet Emotion" on the Today Show last week was fantastic. They slowed it down a bit and played it all live (unlike the single which they played beforehand - that looked/sounded like a live vocal over prerecorded everything else, including the studio lead vocal) - it was absolutely filthy.

I saw them a bunch of times on the Get A Grip tour and all the shows were great - some of the best I've ever seen by anyone. Caught them once on the Nine Lives tour and the drop-off in quality was noticeable.

I'm glad they're still around, though, even if Brad Whitford does look like a zombified Walker, Texas Ranger.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 5, 2012 15:04

JuanTCB
Brad Whitford does look like a zombified Walker, Texas Ranger.
WTR was a great show.

Sheree Wilson wasn't too bad either.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: November 5, 2012 15:04

Aerosmith to rock Hub

[bostonherald.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 5, 2012 18:59

boston2006
Aerosmith to rock Hub

[bostonherald.com]

I'll miss the show @ Noon EST due to being in the office but just saw at the axs tv website that it will be rebroadcast tonight @ 9:00 p EST. Hope to catch it then.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 5, 2012 19:17

Live link to Aerosmith 11/05/12 broadcast available at www.aerosmith.com

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 5, 2012 19:47

Ten years inbetween studio albums of original material- that's not phoning it in? Their last good album was Nine Lives.

Date: November 5, 2012 20:06

i've been a A'Smith fan since their very first record. i still love that record. i liked this performance, the band can still smoke. these guys can play. still, i'm probably not getting this record. i stopped listening to the band, more or less, and buying their records after 'draw the line'

after that i was a casual listener. prior to that, a drop dead fan.

the 80s period and onward didnt interest me much, not album wise anyway, although there were some choice cuts sprinkled in there afterward like chiquita, three mile smile, lightning strikes, my fist your face etc and then after the song doctoring period began cuts like girl keeps coming apart, permanent vacation, monkey on my back, hoodoo voodoo medicine man, walk on down etc., and 'honkin on bobo' had some decent covers like shame shame shame and stop messin around, and this new record will probably have a decent track or two on it as well intermingled with the usual standard song doctored nonsense.

ultimately you could probably make one good cd culling all the good stuff since 'night in the ruts'

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 5, 2012 23:40

Can't think of any great songs they ever wrote.

Date: November 5, 2012 23:49

More Hot Rocks
Can't think of any great songs they ever wrote.

Sure they did: Hey Jude.

Mathijs

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: November 6, 2012 00:10

SonicDreamer
What baffles me is that this album was supposed to be a return to the classic era rocker stuff, hence working with Jack Douglas..... so goin on these reviews WTF happened?

Cheers,
SonicD
Actually Joe Perry had said in March that this wasn;t going to be a "Rocks" like disc.

I agree about the ballads...........enough already!It's KR with his "I'm falling apart" songs. Rock baby Rock!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 6, 2012 01:14

[www.aerosmith.com]

Live feed from earlier on the Aero home page nowm a 9 song set live from where they began - Commonwealth Avenue Boston.

They sound fantastic!!!

Wish Keith and Ronnie could play like Brad and Joe are doing at this show, sounding as good as ever

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home