Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Top Of The Pops April 15.1971 question
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 1, 2012 10:52

TOTP has been aired twice, on April 15 in which the Stones played Brown Sugar and on April 22 where they played Wild Horses if I'm not wrong.

Getty

Above is a shot of the april 22 appearance, the guy on sax is Trevor Lawrence, who is the guy on Trumpet ???confused smiley

HMN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 12:59 by Honestman.

Re: Top Of The Pops April 15.1971 question
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:00

I'm saying this purely from memory so I certainly won't know the dates but they did Brown Sugar one week and Bitch and Wild Horses another. TOTP were then doing an album slot where they gave a band a chance to promote a new album with a track or two. The Stones might well have been the first to use this showcase. I remember Yes doing something from the Yes Album too.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:04

I've got no idea who it is.

Did the band stop playing on that show after those appearances? As I've not seen any footage of them ever being on it again.

Date: November 1, 2012 11:10

TOTP was part of a publicity blitz in UK. They did the UK tour, radio spots, Jagger on the T Donahue interview, the Marquee Show. From recordings it sounds like live vox over backing track that is not the official SF track.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:26

Interesting, because the trumpet player appears nowhere in the official performance clip. Just the sax player appears.

[www.youtube.com]

It could be that the photo in your original post was from a rehearsal take and that they later decided not to film the trumpet player on the show, because in the photo from your original post you'll note that the hat Mick wears is resting atop one of Charlie's cymbals, which does not happen in the official performance clip.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:33

I wonder why they didn't use Bobby Keyes.

Date: November 1, 2012 11:49

Silver Dagger
I wonder why they didn't use Bobby Keyes.

Or Jim Price. My guess is that they didn't feature their side players on TV show appearances with them back then because it would have been like having them on the album cover with the band somehow.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2012 12:34

Honestman
TOTP has been aired twice, on April 15 in which the Stones played Brown Sugar and on April 22 where they played Wild Horses if I'm not wrong.

Getty

Above is a shot of the april 15 appearance, the guy on sax is Trevor Lawrence, who is the guy on Trumpet ???confused smiley

This is the telecast of April 22nd, where they did Bitch and BS. The Telecast of April 15 was only BS, and only Trevor Lawrence on sax.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2012 12:40

Mathijs
Honestman

Getty

Above is a shot of the april 15 appearance, the guy on sax is Trevor Lawrence, who is the guy on Trumpet ???confused smiley

This is the telecast of April 22nd, where they did Bitch and BS. The Telecast of April 15 was only BS, and only Trevor Lawrence on sax.

Mathijs

Oh how I wish we had a video for that. Probably THE holy grail of known Stones' filmed performances for me.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:07

Mathijs
This is the telecast of April 22nd, where they did Bitch and BS. .
Mathijs

Ok post updated to 22.
here's another shot for Wild Horses I guess

Getty

HMN

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:19

As a 6 year old I remember watching that and being mesmerised by Jagger's pink satin suit. My Stones obsession started then.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:37

Honestman
Mathijs
This is the telecast of April 22nd, where they did Bitch and BS. .
Mathijs

Ok post updated to 22.
here's another shot for Wild Horses I guess

Getty

He he, Keith - the only one who plays electric on the track - "plays" acoustic smiling smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 1, 2012 14:13

Sadly, the original 3 song broadcast has been wiped.
Only the repeat broadcast of Brown Sugar survives.

Good old BBC.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 1, 2012 14:24

brownsugar86

Did the band stop playing on that show after those appearances? As I've not seen any footage of them ever being on it again.

Yes. They emigrated to France after the clips were filmed (they were filmed on the same day, I think) but before they were broadcast.

Brown Sugar was broadcast on 15/4/71 and again on 6/5/71. The 'album slot' (a short-lived feature of the show) performance of Wild Horses and Bitch was shown on 22/4/71

None of these three broadcasts remain in the BBC archives. For some bizarre reason, the Beeb culled a lot of archive material from around that time to preserve some storage space meaning that most of the TOTP shows from 1971 and (I think) all of the 1972 shows have been wiped. The footage of Brown Sugar that gets shown on a regular basis comes from a broadcast on Christmas Day and is a re-run of the same clip shown on 15/4/71 and 6/5/71. TOTP traditionally had a Christmas Day show which featured several of the biggest hits of the year. (Similarly, the TOTP clip of Lets Spend The Night Together from January 1967 is also a rerun from the Christmas edition - the original 26/1/67 broadcast which featured the Stones has been wiped)

A few complete TOTP performances from 1971 do still exist in full and were shown on UK Gold some years ago. One of them is the 29/4/71 edition (filmed on 28/4/71) which features two songs by The Faces in the 'album slot' - 'Bad 'n' Ruin' and 'Richmond'.

I've never seen that photo from 22/4/71 broadcast before and dont know who the trumpet player is. May as well have been anyone as its a playback with a live vocal. There is an audio recording of the performance in circulation, but the video footage remains elusive.

Date: November 1, 2012 20:15

Gazza
brownsugar86

Yes. They emigrated to France after the clips were filmed (they were filmed on the same day, I think) but before they were broadcast.

Brown Sugar was broadcast on 15/4/71 and again on 6/5/71. The 'album slot' (a short-lived feature of the show) performance of Wild Horses and Bitch was shown on 22/4/71

None of these three broadcasts remain in the BBC archives. For some bizarre reason, the Beeb culled a lot of archive material from around that time to preserve some storage space meaning that most of the TOTP shows from 1971 and (I think) all of the 1972 shows have been wiped. The footage of Brown Sugar that gets shown on a regular basis comes from a broadcast on Christmas Day and is a re-run of the same clip shown on 15/4/71 and 6/5/71. TOTP traditionally had a Christmas Day show which featured several of the biggest hits of the year. (Similarly, the TOTP clip of Lets Spend The Night Together from January 1967 is also a rerun from the Christmas edition - the original 26/1/67 broadcast which featured the Stones has been wiped)

A few complete TOTP performances from 1971 do still exist in full and were shown on UK Gold some years ago. One of them is the 29/4/71 edition (filmed on 28/4/71) which features two songs by The Faces in the 'album slot' - 'Bad 'n' Ruin' and 'Richmond'.

I've never seen that photo from 22/4/71 broadcast before and dont know who the trumpet player is. May as well have been anyone as its a playback with a live vocal. There is an audio recording of the performance in circulation, but the video footage remains elusive.

Yes, this is sad and shows that the generation gap at the BBC was still in place at that time, as the older guard did not anticipate the historical significance of these broadcasts and likely could not have cared even if they would have known. The issue was saving on the cost of a new reel of tape (which would have been something like $90 a reel back then). A lot of old broadcasts got wiped--they were even about to wipe the entire series reels of Monty Python's Flying Circus! If not for a heads-up that Terry Jones received [he bought them all and stored them in his attic for future use], so many laughs would never have been.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:38

I recall hearing the reason Bobby (and Jim Price for "Bitch") didn't appear was because of union difficulties. They were on the UK tour, but couldn't appear on TV in the UK. Obviously the Marquee broadcast must not have applied to the same rules if this was the case.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:41

I believe Midnight Beat had a bootleg in the nineties with the audio for the two lost appearances. If I remember correctly it was like hearing the LP tracks with audience noise added. I don't remember thinking Mick was singing live, but I haven't heard it in ages so he might have done. The performance of "Brown Sugar" might be my favorite Stones clip ever.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:45

Both tracks appear on the recently released Get Your Leeds Lungs Out 2 cds by Goldplate.

Date: November 1, 2012 20:52

Rocky Dijon
I recall hearing the reason Bobby (and Jim Price for "Bitch") didn't appear was because of union difficulties. They were on the UK tour, but couldn't appear on TV in the UK. Obviously the Marquee broadcast must not have applied to the same rules if this was the case.

Very good point thumbs up it could be indeed the reason.

HMN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:02

Honestman
Rocky Dijon

Very good point thumbs up it could be indeed the reason.

Trevor Lawrence is American I thought?

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 1, 2012 22:01

Rocky Dijon

That might be the case.

The Marquee show was never broadcast in the UK, though. Not due to any union rules or anything like that of course - but because the Stones didnt want it broadcast.

I think different rules applied for 'live' appearances - and as this was a case of the band miming to a backing track, the only 'live' performance was Mick's vocals.

Date: November 2, 2012 00:43

Could it be Steve Madaio ???

HMN

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 2, 2012 01:23

riccardo99
Both tracks appear on the recently released Get Your Leeds Lungs Out 2 cds by Goldplate.

The 3 tracks were also released on OBR 305022 3 sided 2LP.

Date: November 2, 2012 02:47

Honestman
Could it be Steve Madaio ???

Pascal, if you are referring to the TOTP pic, then...isn't that a black man on trumpet? And Madaio being white..

Date: November 2, 2012 19:59

Palace Revolution 2000
Pascal, if you are referring to the TOTP pic, then...isn't that a black man on trumpet? And Madaio being white..

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
oops ! Thanks Tonywinking smiley

HMN

Date: November 11, 2012 14:07

Madaio we see in CS Blues during the "Uptight" encore

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:23

As Always great stuff with all these pics and images you collect and show Honestman. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home