Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brown Sugar - The Single Track That The Rolling Stones Will Never Play Again
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 13, 2023 12:14

Adsmin December 13, 2023

The Rolling Stones resolved never to perform this particular song again because it avoided so much controversy. The Rolling Stones have become one of the greatest rock bands of all time since they were well known in the 1960s. This band was admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame quite early in their career, which is not surprising given their estimated 200 million record sales and several accolades, including three Grammy Awards and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. The Rolling Stones have published more than 400 songs in their six decades of existence together. Some of these songs—like “Satisfaction,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” and “Gimme Shelter”—went on to become some of the most well-known songs of all time. However, a number of Rolling Stones songs, such as the 1971 song “Brown Sugar,” have generated a great deal of controversy. The band had to decide not to play this song ever again since it was so troublesome.

A Woman Mick Jagger Used To Date Was The Inspiration For ‘Brown Sugar’
The Rolling Stones have over 420 songs and 25 studio albums to their credit. “Brown Sugar” is one of their most divisive tracks to date. This song, which debuted in 1970 on the group’s ninth studio album Sticky Fingers, has drawn a lot of criticism for its portrayal of slavery and its derogatory comments about black women. It comes out that “Brown Sugar” was inspired by African-American soul vocalist Claudia Lennear. When Ike & Tina Turner opened for The Rolling Stones’ 1969 American tour, Lennear had a brief romantic relationship with the band’s vocalist, Mick Jagger. This is around the time when this contentious song was originally composed, which has prompted many people to assume that she is the song’s inspiration. According to bassist Bill Wyman’s book Rolling with the Stones, this appears to be the case. It is also claimed that David Bowie drew influence for his 1972 song “Lady Grinning Soul” from Lennear. The Rolling Stones’ “Brown Sugar” has drawn criticism from various critics over the years, who have noted that the song is “gross, sexist, and stunningly offensive toward black women” and features “some of the most stunningly crude and offensive lyrics that have ever been written.” Lennear, though, has defended the song several times.

“One of the greatest rock songs of all time,” according to Lennear, “and not because I had anything to do with it,” she told SPIN. The vocalist has gone so far as to say that “missing out on a great part of rock & roll history” would result from this song’s censorship. When will we be able to comprehend history without becoming angry? We’re not really in that space right now. Lennear also noted that “Brown Sugar” ought to be recognized for having one of the most well-known guitar riffs. It’s simply an amazing riff. It’s an excellent hook. When Keith Richards hits the opening two notes, everyone stands up and begins to applaud, dance, and sing. “My initial reaction upon hearing that is: “Long live the Rolling Stones,” she clarified.

The Rolling Stones Removed The Song ‘Brown Sugar’ From Future Setlists
The Rolling Stones declared in 2021 that “Brown Sugar” will not be included on any upcoming set lists. Since its 1971 release, the song has received a lot of backlash for its references to drug abuse, sexual assault, and enslavement in its lyrics. That being said, the band included it in almost every setlist they have had. Actually, “Brown Sugar” was the band’s most-performed song while on tour for a long time—only “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” was played more frequently. Mick Jagger told the LA Times, “Since 1970, we’ve played Brown Sugar every night.” Thus, occasionally you may decide to “take that one out for the time being and see how it goes.

” We could add it back in. The Rolling Stones singer finally stated that the song was no longer being played, not because of its contentious lyrics, but rather because it was “tough” to put together a set list for stadium performances. Guitarist Keith Richards expressed his displeasure at having to take “Brown Sugar” off the No Filter Tour set list, saying, “I don’t know.” I’m attempting to ascertain the exact nature of the conflict between the sisters. They knew this song was about the atrocities of slavery, didn’t they? Still, they’re attempting to hide it. I don’t want to engage into arguments with any of this s— right now,” Richards stated to the LA Times. However, I’m optimistic that eventually we’ll be able to bring the beauty back to life in all of her magnificence.

‘Brown Sugar’ Isn’t The Only Controversial Rolling Stones Song
The lyrics of “Brown Sugar,” a Rolling Stones song from 1971, have drawn a lot of criticism because they discuss how plantation owners exploit black women. However, this is by no means the only contentious song the group has ever written. The Rolling Stones’ 1976 song “Hey Negrita” is arguably even more controversial than “Brown Sugar.” Mick Jagger discussed the significance of the songs on the album Black and Blue, particularly this contentious one, in an interview from 1976. Rolling Stone was told at the time by Jagger, “If I tell you what the song is about, will you put it in your own words?” Alright, so it’s about a whore from South America, and the singer—a poor man—is attempting to lower her fee. I’ll cut your balls and tan your hide for one last dollar. I’ve got my dignity. A really complex topic, huh? Apart from the questionable lyrics, the song’s title has also drawn a lot of criticism. After all, the Spanish name for women of color is “negrita,” which is its diminutive.

[ps5storage.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-13 14:34 by bv.

Re: The Single Track That The Rolling Stones Will Never Play Again
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 13, 2023 12:25

See here about 'Brown Sugar' discussions - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 13, 2023 13:05

Thanks Irix, i did sent Bjorn an email with the request to delete my posting. Merry Christmas and a great 2024, Grtz, Jos

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 13, 2023 13:32

IBTL smoking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 13, 2023 14:33

Don't make me Angry.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-13 14:43 by bv.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home