Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I Have No Grand Delusions When It Comes To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: DoomNGloom ()
Date: October 31, 2012 01:47

Not sure if this will be helpful or not but I harbor no grand delusions when it comes to the Rolling Stones. I am neither cheerleader nor whiner, however, if pressed I suppose I, would probably lean more towards a "glass half full" fellow than a "glass half empty" sort of a gentleman.

I have accepted the fact that I will never be close buddies with any member of the band and that I won't be receiving any free tickets from them. I am also not expecting any kind of discount just because I have been a fan for a half century.

I think I knew the terms a long time ago. I am a fan of theirs but they have no clue who I am. How could they? I am just one of faceless millions.

As a fan I like to believe I know them, but in reality I really don't. But what I do know is that they primarily do what they do for two reasons: Fame and fortune. Of course they love what they do. They are addicted to performing. It is their drug. They also love to make money. Lot's of it. Who wouldn't? Sure makes life a lot less complicated.

My only expectation as a fan is that they give it their best possible effort in the studio and on the stage. So far they haven't let me down. For what it's worth.

Re: I Have No Grand Delusions When It Comes To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2012 01:51

i don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, as long as there's whisky in it...

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:03

All i have are grand delusions about the rolling stones. Keith and i are going fishing tomorrow. Then we're going over to ronnie's house and use cocaine via our bums.

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:24

I think they are a good live band still but I do not think a bigger bang was a honest effort. Bridges to baba was a good effort voodoo dodo was not...just my 2 pennies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 02:57 by TRS.

Date: October 31, 2012 02:43

I thought ABB was a good solid effort.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:53

JumpinJackOLantern
I thought ABB was a good solid effort.

Well, certainly it was a solid something...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:56

.....that Pommie TV show Grand Designs can be very interesting sometimes...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:58

I hate to be that guy, but...

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: October 31, 2012 03:00

Figure a Floyd fan would do such a thing

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 31, 2012 03:10

And i've got no expectations...

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 31, 2012 04:05

DoomNGloom
Not sure if this will be helpful or not but I harbor no grand delusions when it comes to the Rolling Stones. I am neither cheerleader nor whiner, however, if pressed I suppose I, would probably lean more towards a "glass half full" fellow than a "glass half empty" sort of a gentleman.

I have accepted the fact that I will never be close buddies with any member of the band and that I won't be receiving any free tickets from them. I am also not expecting any kind of discount just because I have been a fan for a half century.

I think I knew the terms a long time ago. I am a fan of theirs but they have no clue who I am. How could they? I am just one of faceless millions.

As a fan I like to believe I know them, but in reality I really don't. But what I do know is that they primarily do what they do for two reasons: Fame and fortune. Of course they love what they do. They are addicted to performing. It is their drug. They also love to make money. Lot's of it. Who wouldn't? Sure makes life a lot less complicated.

My only expectation as a fan is that they give it their best possible effort in the studio and on the stage. So far they haven't let me down. For what it's worth.

That sounds very GLOOMY, DoomNGloom...and almost delusional.eye popping smiley

(...no, just kidding)

PS Could I borrow some money so I can buy a ticket to their show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 04:13 by riverrat.

Date: October 31, 2012 04:10

StonesTod
i don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, as long as there's whisky in it...

Jack Daniels of course.

Date: October 31, 2012 04:19

BJPortugal
And i've got no expectations...

Smart, that way nothing they do (or don't do) will disappoint you. Hard to imagine that Mick would open the door for them to embarrass themselves. Judging by that I am optimistic that they are going to deliver some good performances. Keith was also quoted as saying they would deliver. Certainly going to be an interesting couple of months ahead for all of us. I am crossing my fingers that something doesn't happen to one of them between now and the shows.

Date: October 31, 2012 04:22

I agree! Been a fan since 78' at the age of nine. 12/15 will be my 19th time seeing them since 89'. I've given up on hoping for a song and accepting the stones as they are! Most people on the site are delusional in their expectations.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 06:58

I am not sure what I think... at least about their playing. From the gig in France, it looks like Keith is playing better than the end of the last tour. But at the same time, it is definitely slower. It is like he had to slow it down to still be able to play. But this slow motion sound just doesn't sound right. Its weird.

Regardless, I have a seat and am looking forward to it.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 31, 2012 12:47

JumpinJackOLantern
StonesTod

Jack Daniels of course.

...Which is neither a whisky (but a bourbon), nor verry good. So don't bother.

Tod, where did you get that quote? It's hilarious.
I Googled it, but apart from your mention here on iorr, there's only one other person that used it as a tweet, about a year ago. No other citations to be found...

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 31, 2012 13:48

I think the best effort can fade away if the show doesn't cling and interact between all members of the Stones and their musicians on stage. You feel it sometimes from the very first moment that the interaction and vibrations on stage are working or not working.
So me Keith in 2007 was much worse at the beginning of that tour than during the last concerts like in Lausanne or Londeon O2.
However the time of stadium shows are being definitely set up in the history book. They just do not have the physical strength to party on a superhuge stage and deliver what the ticketholder expects.

As I was very reluctant that they will do shows at all, I am looking forward to both O2 concerts and I am confident that they will present an adequate concert, not to satisfy all people but to mark a milestone which has not reached by any other rock and roll band so gar.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2012 16:14

RoughJusticeOnYa
JumpinJackOLantern
StonesTod

Jack Daniels of course.

...Which is neither a whisky (but a bourbon), nor verry good. So don't bother.

Tod, where did you get that quote? It's hilarious.
I Googled it, but apart from your mention here on iorr, there's only one other person that used it as a tweet, about a year ago. No other citations to be found...

i got it from a fridge magnet. almost everything i say on this messageboard comes from fridge magnets.

Posted by: rubytues ()
Date: October 31, 2012 16:31

This is how Dave Grohl treats his fans:

From Dave Grohl:

Hey everyone...

Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact!) We truly never could have done any of this without you...

Never in my wildes...t dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn't think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But... I can't give up this band. And I never will. Because it's not just a band to me. It's my life. It's my family. It's my world.

Yes... I was serious. I'm not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it's good to just... put it back in the garage for a while...

But, no gold watches or vacations just yet... I'll be focusing all of my energy on finishing up my Sound City documentary film and album for worldwide release in the very near future. A year in the making, it could be the biggest, most important project I've ever worked on. Get ready... it's coming.

Me, Taylor, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami... I'm sure we'll all see you out there... somewhere...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Dave

One thing with the Foos, they really CARE about the fans!

Date: October 31, 2012 18:07

Good post Doom. I had a similar thought when i was just passing the time with Mick in a bar recently when i said to him, "but Mick do you REALLY want - they were greedy bastards right till the end - to be your epitaph? Just before he got to answer i woke up!

I won,t be going anywhere near these shows purely on principle and i hope a lot of genuine fans do the same. I also hope that some cheaper shows will happen in groovy places in europe next year so i can get an excuse to get my harley outsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 18:08 by Captain Jack Sparrow.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 31, 2012 22:43

take me to the station,
and put me on a train,
I have no grand delusions, you'll pay, when they play,
again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home