Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Last Time from Charlie Is My Darling
Date: November 1, 2012 11:30

Saw it last night and thoroghly enjoyed the whole trip. Can anyone explain why the film is called 'Charlie Is My Darling'? Just wondering about the origin of the title....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:46

Sacke
Redhotcarpet
Bill and Brian were the cool ones. Some pics and clips speak louder than words.

Round this time (1965) I think everybody was cool!!

OK! Well, to me Mick and Keith changed in 1968 and Mick got cool in 1972-1977. In this clip Brian is totally in the game, look at him when the curtains rise. In charge. And Bill? He was one cool dude, underrated part of the image of the band.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:48

Manofwealthandtaste
Saw it last night and thoroghly enjoyed the whole trip. Can anyone explain why the film is called 'Charlie Is My Darling'? Just wondering about the origin of the title....
Charlie Is My Darling is the title of a number of traditional Scots songs.
The first is attributed variously to James Hogg or Carolina Oliphant (Lady Nairne). Beginning with the line Twas on a Monday morning, right early in the year, it celebrates the Jacobite movement. A second later song of the same name is attributed to Charles Gray.However the best known version is by Robert Burns whose 1794 version is somewhat more earthy than the more patriotic earlier ones. Eddi Reader has recorded a popular version of this one on her highly regarded CD of Robert Burns's songs.

[en.wikipedia.org])

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 11:50 by Deltics.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 1, 2012 11:50

Deltics
The Rolling Stones Charlie Is My Darling Ireland 1965 Exclusive Online Fan Screening
Public event · By ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.

[www.facebook.com]

Starts at 12.00 GMT today

Thanks, Deltics!

- Doxa

Date: November 1, 2012 11:56

Deltics
The Rolling Stones Charlie Is My Darling Ireland 1965 Exclusive Online Fan Screening

[www.facebook.com]

Thanks, Deltics!

Would that be now, in four minutes' time?

Date: November 1, 2012 12:00

DandelionPowderman
Deltics

[www.facebook.com]

Thanks, Deltics!

It's currently 10.00 GMT here in the UK, so in two hours time.

Date: November 1, 2012 12:06

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics

[www.facebook.com]

Thanks, Deltics!

OK, thanks, I should know that by now smiling smiley

Date: November 1, 2012 12:18

Deltics
Manofwealthandtaste
The first is attributed variously to James Hogg or Carolina Oliphant (Lady Nairne). Beginning with the line Twas on a Monday morning, right early in the year, it celebrates the Jacobite movement. A second later song of the same name is attributed to Charles Gray.However the best known version is by Robert Burns whose 1794 version is somewhat more earthy than the more patriotic earlier ones. Eddi Reader has recorded a popular version of this one on her highly regarded CD of Robert Burns's songs.
[en.wikipedia.org])

Many thanks for that Deltics......still not entirely sure what this has to do with the Stones touring Ireland in the 60's.....!!
(I am unable to view the youtube clip at the moment, so that may hold the answer)

Date: November 1, 2012 12:24

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics

[www.facebook.com]

Thanks, Deltics!

OK, thanks, I should know that by now smiling smiley

ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.
Hi everyone. Don't forget the preview is available worldwide and on demand for 24 hours from 12pm GMT (8am EDT) today here: [www.charlieismydarling.com]. Enjoy!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:19

I had my preview last night at the Tate Modern, and this film is a whole different animal from the grainy chaotic bootleg version I bought years ago. I think you'll enjoy this.

What we saw was about 65 minutes of lovely clear black and white footage following the Stones on a two-date trip to Dublin and Belfast - two sets of concert footage brilliantly reassembled in synch with contemporary performance soundtrack - the clip of The Last Time above is a fair sample, but you also get Time Is On My Side, It's Alright (complete with stage-invasion) Around and Around, Satisfaction... A good snapshot of what a Stones gig was like in 1965 - the bemused older generation, the deafening SQUEEEEEELs from the frantic audience (not allowed to overwhelm the music on the soundtrack as they must have done in real life), the moment the curtain goes up and pandemonium breaks loose, the riot, the mad dash for safety afterwards.

In between are on-the-road interviews with Mick, Bill, Brian and a very reluctant Charlie (but not Keith), and a separate set of interviews with Mick which I'd guess were done later. Then there is footage of the Stones just being themselves, fooling around for the camera, practising new songs in a hotel bedroom, mucking about on a piano pretending to be Elvis, fast asleep exhausted on the plane coming home.

Well worth seeing in a cinema if you get the chance, though I'd have liked the sound a bit louder. This is the band as we knew them in the sixties (SQUEEEEEEEEL!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 13:24 by Green Lady.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:25

Great review, Green Lady, and good to see you there. I thought I heard a muffled squeeel half way through, now I know where it came from!!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:27

Agree with Green Lady's comments and it really was such a treat to see on a bigger screen.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:29

Manofwealthandtaste
Deltics

Many thanks for that Deltics......still not entirely sure what this has to do with the Stones touring Ireland in the 60's.....!!
(I am unable to view the youtube clip at the moment, so that may hold the answer)

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I think Mick mentions Robert Burns at one point when they are sitting around?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 13:32 by Beast.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:33

Manofwealthandtaste
Great review, Green Lady, and good to see you there. I thought I heard a muffled squeeel half way through, now I know where it came from!!

Haven't got the voice for a good squeeel these days, and never got the chance to see them live at the time - just a radio and record listener and TV watcher - as I think most of us were. The hysterical fans at the shows were just the tip of the iceberg. Fun to see the Stones learning to deal with being so famous that they can't have a meal in a restaurant or walk down an Irish street without attracting an instant crowd of spectators.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:45

Beast
Manofwealthandtaste
Deltics

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I think Mick mentions Robert Burns at one point when they are sitting around?

Wasn't it Robert Browning?

I bet the Charlie Is My Darling title was sarcasm from the film-maker, because Charlie was the unco-operative one about being filmed and interviewed.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:50

Ah yes - I think you are right it was Robert Browning. And I also bet you are right about the origin of the title!

Date: November 1, 2012 14:16

It's up, the screening has begun! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 1, 2012 14:48

DandelionPowderman

Yep, but what! Mine just lasted seventeen minutes, and then the ad for the DVD package, and that's it. Can one continue from then on somehow, or is this just a taster?eye popping smiley

But mind-blowing stuff so far!!!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:02

Same for me : 17' are not enough, i need MORE
WE WANT THesmiling smiley STONES

Date: November 1, 2012 15:04

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yep, but what! Mine just lasted seventeen minutes, and then the ad for the DVD package, and that's it. Can one continue from then on somehow, or is this just a taster?eye popping smiley

But mind-blowing stuff so far!!!smileys with beer

- Doxa

I suppose it was asking too much for it to be the whole thing, but the advance publicity did seem to indicate that it might be:
"The Rolling Stones Charlie Is My Darling Ireland 1965 Exclusive Online Fan Screening".
Oh well!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:13

Great little (17´) clip!
Enjoyed the pissed off Keith "...au!..." when the girls pulled hairs from his head.

Date: November 1, 2012 15:32

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:23

Deltics

[www.facebook.com]

Watched it, fan-fukkin-tastic!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:27

The title of the film is due to Andrew thinking that Charlie came across best on camera.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:28

His Majesty
Deltics

[www.facebook.com]

Watched it, fan-fukkin-tastic!

Totally agree! Thanks Deltics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 17:30 by wesley.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:29

Here's I'm alright, but is unavailable for me.

[www.spinner.com]

Date: November 1, 2012 17:30

His Majesty
The title of the film is due to Andrew thinking that Charlie came across best on camera.

Thanks HM, seems a reasonable explanation!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 1, 2012 19:12

Mmmmmmmmmmmm YES!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:39

Can anyone explain why the film is called 'Charlie Is My Darling'? Just wondering about the origin of the title....

.................2STONED page 375 - Andrew Loog Oldham

ROCKMAN

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:50

Thank you for this passage from ALO book. Andrew perhaps was right back then. But times have changed
Now Mick and Brian seem most interesting members of the band. Because over the years it became clear that they said exactly what they meant. These are not empty words, but very sensible point of view - especially Mick's

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home