Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chuck Berry - "My singing days have passed"
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: October 29, 2012 15:07

Sad to hear...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Berry was asked to expand. "Well, I’ll give you a little piece of poetry," he said. "Give you a song? I can’t do that. My singing days have passed. My voice is gone. My throat is worn. And my lungs are going fast. I think that explains it."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Kevin C. Johnson argued that people still pay to see Berry monthly at St. Louis’ Blueberry Hill. "I’ll tell you what that is," Berry said. "They’re having a great time from memory. And I hope that I can continue to enhance their memory because it looks very dim, like I said, you know."

Re: Chuck Berry - "My singing days have passed"
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 29, 2012 15:22

So sad, so very sad. Charles Jr, if you read this thread ever (and we've seen lots of you on IORR over recent years), please be aware that this guy writing here thinks your pa is the single greatest contributor to shaping the "sound" that has dominated his life music-wise, so thank him from me for everything he's ever done. And boy, was I ever happy to have seen (both of you) at the 100 Club in london a few years ago, I shall treasure those memories (and a handful of pictures) till the day I drop. Make the best of the remaining time you have together.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: October 29, 2012 15:47

One of my favorite chuck berry clips on youtube is where him&keith richards are trying to record a song and keith keeps messing up. Chuck&the band rolling their eyes is priceless. Watching the old greats get old and die is something i'll never get used to.

Date: October 29, 2012 15:54

arthritis
One of my favorite chuck berry clips on youtube is where him&keith richards are trying to record a song and keith keeps messing up. Chuck&the band rolling their eyes is priceless. Watching the old greats get old and die is something i'll never get used to.

I think you got that wrong grinning smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 15:59

arthritis

Actually Chuck was just being a dick and was trying to humiliate Keith.

Keith played that lick a million times HIS way (Carol).

Chuck was arguing about a subtle note pre-bend that no one notices and Chuck probably doesn't always play himself.

I agree it's a great clip, but Chuck is an ass.

He's done it to loads of other people as well.

There's another clip somewhere, Keith is telling Chuck about his amp tone - Keith was right again - it's not about what it sounds like to their ears, it was about what it will sound like recorded and in the film.

Chuck doesn't like people telling him what to do.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:02

GravityBoy
arthritis

Chuck was arguing about a subtle note pre-bend that no one notices and Chuck probably doesn't always play himself.

There's another clip somewhere, Keith is telling Chuck about his amp tone - Keith was right again - it's not about what it sounds like to their ears, it was about what it will sound like recorded and in the film.

Pretty sure you could leave it as "Chuck Doesn't Like People" but I agree with the rest you wrote

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:14

Jimmy C
"I’ll tell you what that is," Berry said. "They’re having a great time from memory."

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:16

Not heard from CBII on the site for a long time. Anyone know if he's OK?

Date: October 29, 2012 16:25

I saw Chuck Berry's daughter Ingrid perform in St Louis at a conference I was attending a couple of weeks ago. She looks much like her dad.

Date: October 29, 2012 16:25

Silver Dagger

He posted here a couple of weeks ago. Don't remember the thread, though.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 29, 2012 17:22

Silver Dagger

He made a comment shortly after concert ticket sales were announced. It was directed at all the negativity. Anyhow, maybe that's why he's staying away?

Hope everything is okay for Chuck. I would imagine he's tired of meeting overzealous fans asking for autographs.

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: October 29, 2012 18:07

Im sure chucks voice would be fine for a brown paper bag filled with unmarked bills.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 18:11

Thank you Chuck Berry for all you gave us, and singing for us as long as you could.

Chuck Berry, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 29, 2012 18:24

Max'sKansasCity
Thank you Chuck Berry for all you gave us, and singing for us as long as you could.

EXACTLY !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: October 29, 2012 18:25

paulywaul
Max'sKansasCity

EXACTLY !!
smileys with beer

Hail Hail Chuck Berry!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 29, 2012 18:57

FiNALLY got to hear Chuck live a fews years back, and his son play for him much of the time. GOOD show.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:08

If I lived in St. Louis...I'd be there watching Chuck at Blueberry Hill every single month.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:15

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:28

Jimmy C
Sad to hear...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Berry was asked to expand. "Well, I’ll give you a little piece of poetry," he said. "Give you a song? I can’t do that. My singing days have passed. My voice is gone. My throat is worn. And my lungs are going fast. I think that explains it."

That makes very sad reading.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:35

I'd still pay to go see him play guitar, even if he can no longer sing.

I'm surprised at some of these posts. The man is a legend and is passing along some sad news. Who cares if he was a dick to Keith nearly 30 years ago. Keith has been a dick to Mick and others and has admitted as much. I have no idea if he and Keith are still friendly, I suspect probably not, but I'm sure Keith is sad that his musical hero can no longer perform.

Thank you Chuck for all the great music. HAIL HAIL ROCK AND ROLL!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:35

Gazza
Jimmy C
Sad to hear...

[www.rollingstone.com]

That makes very sad reading.

Agreed... The line "And my lungs are going fast." scares me. Like there's something medically wrong that he's not making public.

Much love to Chuck... Hopefully CBII will be able to forward the love from some Stones fans to his dad.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 29, 2012 19:37

I wonder if his urolagnia days have passed.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: October 29, 2012 20:02

Max'sKansasCity

Yeah!

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: October 29, 2012 20:29

GravityBoy
arthritis

SPOT ON GravityBoy, Its from "Hail Hail RocknRoll" Keith was trying to organise a
surprise 60th birthday gig for Chuckspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 29, 2012 20:39

God bless Chuck Berry, you nasty sleazy womanizing clean as a whistle rockin' and a rollin' combative victim of racial double standard elvis should have been in jail too innovator brown eyed handsome devil poet.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: October 29, 2012 20:48

You're right. Chuck WAS being an ass to keith to purposefully make him look bad. What made it funny to me was that keith actually tried to follow his overbearing demands and failed a couple times in the process. It was just a power play that ultimately reflected poorly on chuck though. I'm more concerned with Jerry lee Lewis dying. At least Jerry was nicer to Keith when they jammed on tv in the 80's.smileys with beer

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 29, 2012 21:11

@#$%& depressing!! We love you Chuck Berry and thank you for what you gave to Rock and Roll. That music has definitely your name on it written in big letters
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2012 21:43

Max'sKansasCity
paulywaul
Max'sKansasCity

EXACTLY !!
smileys with beer

Hail Hail Chuck Berry!

Hail Hail Mr. Rock n Roll!
I am grateful I had the opportunity to see the man 4 or 5 times in the 70'sthumbs up

Date: October 29, 2012 22:00

BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity
paulywaul
Max'sKansasCity

EXACTLY !!
smileys with beer

Hail Hail Chuck Berry!

Hail Hail Mr. Rock n Roll!
I am grateful I had the opportunity to see the man 4 or 5 times in the 70'sthumbs up
5 times!... Sweet!!

I feel kind of sad that I have never seen him live, but he does not make the trek across the state very often... it could be something about the stlouie/KC rivalry or it could be how he feels about something from 1944, I dont know.... and it has been hit and miss for me making it over to Blueberry hill... but I never have seen him live... but he has my total respect... and one of my life goals to someday buy one of those Cadillacs he showed us in the movie. I LOVE THAT SCENE! I RESPECT THE MAN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 22:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:05

Back in the 70's I would often go to the tapings of "Midnight Special" TV show. Once when he was a musical guest (with the Bee Gees hosting), Chuck came out after the show finished taping and played about a 45 minute set for the audience...he didn't have to do that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2173
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home