Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Way OT: All in the Family" greatest sitcom ever....
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:57

one of my very best friends in the world is sally struthers - she tells of how, the day before episode one aired - the director sat she and reiner down and said look, after this thing airs tomorroow there's a very good chance you will never be able to walk across the lot to have lunch at farmer's market ever again and have it be normal. that, or you will be unemployed. it's one or the other." also - sally beat out reiner's then-girlfriend, penny marshall, for the part -

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:01

Being very little I remember when Meathead's friend came over for Christmas from living up in Canada draft dodging (I think). Archie also had a friend over whose son was killed in Nam. Very intense for an American sitcom.

Whaddaya know, I found it!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:02

Max'sKansasCity
Come on, everyone knows that "I love Lucy" , "Seinfeld" , "The Simpsons" and "South Park" are the most ground breaking sitcoms of all time.

Hey, what happened to the Flintstones???

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:05

Sighunt
Max'sKansasCity
Come on, everyone knows that "I love Lucy" , "Seinfeld" , "The Simpsons" and "South Park" are the most ground breaking sitcoms of all time.

winking smiley... They were the best... these are most ground breaking.

Actually I was just seeing if anyone is paying attention, usually they dont grinning smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:06

jamesfdouglas
Being very little I remember when Meathead's friend came over for Christmas from living up in Canada draft dodging (I think). Archie also had a friend over whose son was killed in Nam. Very intense for an American sitcom.

That one was a good one! One of my favorite episodes was when Archie gets locked in the basement of his home and gets drunk on vodka (?) from Mike and Gloria's wedding...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:09

Sighunt
jamesfdouglas

That one was a good one! One of my favorite episodes was when Archie gets locked in the basement of his home and gets drunk on vodka (?) from Mike and Gloria's wedding...

I don't think I saw that one.
Here's the 2nd part of the draft dodger, conveniently it starts right as the bomb is dropped (the Part 1 is just fluff and set-up).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:16

jamesfdouglas
Sighunt
jamesfdouglas

I don't think I saw that one.
Here's the 2nd part of the draft dodger, conveniently it starts right as the bomb is dropped (the Part 1 is just fluff and set-up).

James--see if you can find and post the one where Archie and Meathead get locked in the basement. A key word for your search would be "shoe-bootie".

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:20

Sighunt
Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up

"

?

Date: October 29, 2012 05:30

BluzDude
Sighunt
Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up

"

?
HELL YA!thumbs up
Back when men were men and woman loved us for it.... Back when we were INDESTRUCTABLE!!!! bike hemets?? HA!! cigarettes?? 35 cents a pack!!! TWO PACKS A DAY!!!.... Drinking and driving?? all night long!!! no sunscreen needed, all the preservatives they can feed us... seatbelts ?? WHO NEEDS EM? I want a Corvair... back when the world still loved America... and ya know what?? it was a better place/time to live.... and low and behold, somehow, it looks like we made it through alive.

Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 05:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 29, 2012 05:34

Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude
Sighunt
Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up

"

?
HELL YA!thumbs up
Back when men were men and woman loved us for it.... Back when we were INDESTRUCTABLE!!!! bike hemets?? HA!! cigarettes?? 35 cents a pack!!! TWO PACKS A DAY!!!.... Drinking and driving?? all night long!!! no sunscreen needed, all the preservatives they can feed us... seatbelts ?? WHO NEEDS EM? I want a Corvair... back when the world still loved America... and ya know what?? it was a better place/time to live.... and low and behold, somehow, it looks like we made it through alive.

Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should!

Now they market to death stuff even more dangerous than cigarettes--an endless line of nasty pharmaceutical "medications". Ask a doctor if Side EffeX is right for you....

Date: October 29, 2012 05:37

stonesnow

Now they market to death stuff even more dangerous than cigarettes--an endless line of nasty pharmaceutical "medications". Ask a doctor if Side EffeX is right for you....

The freekin side effects they list are typically worse than the symptoms of what ever disease you may, or may not, have...

In 30 years they will be looking back and laughing at today's "restless legs", "Are you a sad bubble" type of commercials and luaghing like we do at the Winston ads. Big pharma took that baton and is running with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 05:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2012 06:12

When I was 5 years old, my mother use to send me to the corner grocery store (Thriftymart) with a quarter and a note (to the store manager) to pick up a pack of Parliament cigarettes.

Date: October 29, 2012 06:21

BluzDude
When I was 5 years old, my mother use to send me to the corner grocery store (Thriftymart) with a quarter and a note (to the store manager) to pick up a pack of Parliament cigarettes.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and was behind a guy who bought a carton of regular sized Marlboro reds, it was all he bought and it rang up at $54.55 with tax... I was flabbergasted.

Last time I bought a pack they cost 45 cents in a machine, of course that was about 35 years ago. I smoked for a couple of years... quit and never looked back.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 29, 2012 06:28

Yes, the show worked best with it's original ensemble, but not to slight the others, Carroll O'Connor was brilliant. Ultimately he became the "hero" of the show, no matter how wrong headed he was. For a time there was an interesting argument made that the character made it "safe" to be a bigot, or perhaps more realistically, unintentionally cast him in too sympathetic a light, but that's another kettle of fish. Almost reminiscent of how easy it might be to relate to Tony Soprano, who of course was a borderline Psychopath half the time.

Certainly "best" is subjective, so no point in arguing that much really, but one standout flaw most could probably agree with was that the show labored on way too long after it had "jumped the shark".

Date: October 29, 2012 07:01

BluzDude

When I was 10, 11 years old--in the super-permissive 70s--I used to buy cigarettes for myself and my friends by the carton, without a note--and they'd give me matches with it if I asked.

Date: October 29, 2012 16:05

10 greatest sitcoms of all time:
1 M.A.S.H.
2 cheers
3 roseanne
4 seinfeld
5 frasier
6 coach
7 that 70's show
8 married with children
9 friends
10 everybody loves raymond

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:10

keefriffhard4life
1 M.A.S.H.
2 cheers
3 roseanne
4 seinfeld
5 frasier
6 coach
7 that 70's show
8 married with children
9 friends

old people disagree

Date: October 29, 2012 16:12

slew
Hers's a man who didn't like Ford, didn't like Carter so he wrote in Richard Nixon!! And Archie's response to Mike "That's right buddy boy and your gonna get Reagan in 80!!! How prophetic.

and remember, everybody picked on poor Richard E. Nixon....

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:13

keefriffhard4life
1 M.A.S.H.
2 cheers
3 roseanne
4 seinfeld
5 frasier
6 coach
7 that 70's show
8 married with children
9 friends

No "Terry and June"??

Or "Robin's Nest"?

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:19

Al to Mrs. De Groot: "So you think I'm a loser? Just because I have a stinking job
that I hate, a family that doesn't respect me, a whole city that curses the day I
was born? Well, that may mean loser to you, but let me tell you something. Every
morning when I wake up, I know it's not going to get any better until I go back to
sleep again. So I get up, have my watered down Tang and still-frozen Pop Tart, get
in my car with no upholstery, no gas and six more payments to fight traffic just
for the privilege of putting cheap shoes on the cloven hooves of people like you.
I'll never play football like I thought I would, I'll never know the touch of a
beautiful woman, and I'll never again know the joy of driving without a bag on my
head. But I'm not a loser. 'Cause despite it all, me and every other guy who'll
never be what he wanted to be, are still out there, being what we don't wanna be,
forty hours a week, for life. And the fact that I haven't put a gun to my mouth,
you pudding of a woman, makes me a winner!"

Date: October 29, 2012 16:22

StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
1 M.A.S.H.
2 cheers
3 roseanne
4 seinfeld
5 frasier
6 coach
7 that 70's show
8 married with children
9 friends

old people disagree

whats funny i was the first person to mention M.A.S.H. or cheers in this thread, thats just pathetic

Date: October 29, 2012 16:27

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
1 M.A.S.H.
2 cheers
3 roseanne
4 seinfeld
5 frasier
6 coach
7 that 70's show
8 married with children
9 friends

old people disagree

whats funny i was the first person to mention M.A.S.H. or cheers in this thread, thats just pathetic

but it's a thread about all in the family...it's even in the thread's title...

Date: October 29, 2012 16:38

Twas the night before christmas, and all through the house,
no food was a stirring, not even a mouse.
Stockings were hung 'round dad's neck like a tie,
along with a note that said "presents or die".
Children were plotting all night in their beds,
while the wife's constant whining was splitting his head.
But daddy had money this year in the bank,
then they closed up early, now dad's in the tank.
...and all of a sudden Santa appeared,
a sneer on his face, booze in his beard.
Santa I said as he laughed merrily,
you do so much for others do something for me.
Bundy he said, you only sell shoes,
your son is a sneak-thief, your daughters' a flooze.
Ho Ho Santa said, should I mention your wife,
her hairs like an a-bomb, her nails like a knife.
As he climbs up the chimney, that fat piece of dung,
he mooned me two times, he stuck out his tongue.
And I heard him exclaim, as he broke wind with glee:
you're married with children, you'll never be free.

The Rolling Stones in All in the Family"
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 16:43

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the two that I know of references to The Rolling Stones in All In The Family .

1. In 1975, an episode where Archie met his grandson's babysitter and boyfriend at Gloria's house. Archie did not approve of the albums the boyfriend was carrying. If you look closely, he was carrying "It's Only Rock N Roll". The boyfriend said we're going to listen to some Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, and Archie replied, "yeah I know all about those grave diggers".

2. In 1978, the bunkers' TV was broken and they wanted to watch Archie on TV from a local TV interview. Edith pointed out that Archie usually hits the TV to fix it. She said to Archie "you hit it when them Rollin Stones was on it", Archie replied, "no I didn't, I mooned it".

Great stuff, a great show, the most groundbreaking show of all time for sure.

Maybe someone can post those two clips.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 17:06

hbwriter
one of my very best friends in the world is sally struthers - she tells of how, the day before episode one aired - the director sat she and reiner down and said look, after this thing airs tomorroow there's a very good chance you will never be able to walk across the lot to have lunch at farmer's market ever again and have it be normal. that, or you will be unemployed. it's one or the other." also - sally beat out reiner's then-girlfriend, penny marshall, for the part -

hb, you never fail to impress me!
Sally Struthers was such an underrated member of that ensemble.....
Its amazing when your watch the first cast - there's a clip somewhere and none of the AITF players are there....it just falls flat.
It took those four actors to make this show crackle with grit and soul....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 17:11

SweetThing
Yes, the show worked best with it's original ensemble, but not to slight the others, Carroll O'Connor was brilliant. Ultimately he became the "hero" of the show, no matter how wrong headed he was. For a time there was an interesting argument made that the character made it "safe" to be a bigot, or perhaps more realistically, unintentionally cast him in too sympathetic a light, but that's another kettle of fish. Almost reminiscent of how easy it might be to relate to Tony Soprano, who of course was a borderline Psychopath half the time.

Certainly "best" is subjective, so no point in arguing that much really, but one standout flaw most could probably agree with was that the show labored on way too long after it had "jumped the shark".

But that was the genius of the show: Archie wasn't a one-dimensional @#$%&. He was human. That's the key to the show - the message: that we're all human in spite of our flaws and prejudices. I don't think it excuses wrongheadedness - it just makes it human and real. The Archie/Mike dynamic reminded me of my relationship with my father when I was younger.....and taught me that people believe what they believe but in the end - we have to get beyond it. Its human nature. Remember also, that Mike could be just as narrow-minded and intolerant as Archie - that was part of the point.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 29, 2012 17:25

Yeah, All In The Family was a classic - even a conservative like me can see that!

As a Southern boy, I respectfully submit The Andy Griffith Show also:

[www.iorr.org]

Re: The Rolling Stones in All in the Family"
Date: October 29, 2012 17:26

deardoctortake1
Great stuff, a great show, the most groundbreaking show of all time for sure.

Maybe someone can post those two clips.

Jerry Hall as Cherry Terry (this made me love Jerry so much back then)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 29, 2012 17:47

All In The family!! #1 I agree

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 29, 2012 18:31

Surely the best.

This show transcended the limits of race, bigotry, and gender in a truly comedic fashion. The dialogue was straight forward and to the point bypassing the politically correct innuendo's of today's shows or culture. Everything that Americans thought, discussed, or spoke of privately was written into the show, no holds barred.

For example, today, even the mention of a trait of a race, ethnic background, or gender draws out someone offended. Sort of like how modern television producers and advertisers bend over backward to promote diversity, specifically with white women and black men. Never the other way around with white men and black women. Yet it is not remotely challenged on any shows for fear of reprisals. But I'll bet a lot of white men have some negative thoughts about those relationships every time they see it, be it a sports wife or in television.

This is the type of situation that All In The Family promoted. They acted out all the resentments and biases that people harbored in their minds and privately to their close friends and family but could not raise publicly. However the success in the show was having the someone in the family, be it Michael, Gloria, Edith, or others having the totally opposite and many times rational views to counteract Archie's biases. A brilliant concept.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home