Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Festival Express
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 17, 2004 20:43

Was wondering if anyone else has checked out this DVD, I got it yesterday and its great. Some great performaces by the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Flying Burito Bros, the Band, and Buddy Guy. In one scene it almost looked like one of the shows would turn into a scene from Altamont but its cops beating up fans and Jerry Garcia tries to calm everyone down. This is a great DVD if anyone is looking for new stuff.

Re: Festival Express
Posted by: davido ()
Date: December 18, 2004 14:36

I hear the dvd has alot of extra footage.
How is the sound quality?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 18, 2004 22:04

It is superb, very natural & warm. The Band are really hot. Gram Parsons & the Burrittos, Delaney & Bonnie, etc - highly recommended. Many impromptu jams while on that train...

Posted by: davido ()
Date: December 19, 2004 21:56

Okay! Sounds like a must have. Thanx John!

Date: December 20, 2004 02:12

It is a great DVD for anyone who likes any of those bands, the sound quality is also great throughout the whole DVD.

Date: December 20, 2004 09:05

How was Janis? She was supposed to be at her best on that tour! She played Seattle Sicks Stadium, you know. I spoke to a lady who worked for a radio station. She and Janis sat on a blanket after Janis's show. All Janis could say was, "The sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see the crowd!" The lady said Janis was really sweet and totally the opposite of the 'star' that one would expect from a singer who, at that time, blew the world away. Too bad she blew herself away a couple of months later in a hotel room in Los Angeles.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: December 20, 2004 11:11

Great film if you like music from that period. Loved the part where they stopped the train to buy all that booze from a bemused shopkeeper. Gerry Garcia is great too asking the crowd for 5 minutes of "coolness" and then getting the Dead to play for free to pacify the morons outside who didnt believe in paying for music. Interesting that most of the musicians seemed to be on the side of the police when the trouble erupted and and had no time for the troublemakers. A lot of events were nearly ruined during that period by people who refused to pay for entertainment based on some utopian principle that these gigs should be free - basically they were gatecrashers and a pain in the arse.

Andy

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 20, 2004 17:30

Janis was the star of the film: absolutely incendiary though nearly everyone was great apart from the doo wop band in gold lame outfits. Excellent jamming and hanging out scenes on the train. Everyone seemed to have such a great time, it really made you wish you were there.

John R - I might be wrong but I don't think Gram was in the film. Wasn't it the burritos after Gram had left? (still good though)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 20, 2004 21:24

haven't watched the DVD - but saw it in the theaters - better than Woodstock movie - and one of the best all-time movies about rock'n'roll ever, IMO. A must-see. Band's performance is one of their best. Janis is good (not her best) and Buddy Guy is mind-blowing.

Date: December 20, 2004 22:23

Buddy Guy is great, he sings with such passion and his guitar playing is mind blowing.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 20, 2004 23:57

Not surprising the muscians side w/the police. I mean "Music should be free, like the air" is pure 60s excess (or post 60s). And they play for the'people' who demand it, to keep trouble minimized, but then there are the thousands who paid for tix. Beyond the great music & artists, it captures the counter-culture at a weird point - 1970 - when it was really imploding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-20 23:58 by john r.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 9, 2007 03:43

Saw this recently - Good stuff and a nice picture of 1970.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2007 03:44

Wow are things that slow. We are digging up old bones tonight?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 9, 2007 03:46

One of my favorite things to do on here. Thanks for noticing! I'm out!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 9, 2007 03:58

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is superb, very natural & warm. The Band are
> really hot. Gram Parsons & the Burrittos, Delaney
> & Bonnie, etc - highly recommended. Many impromptu
> jams while on that train...

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but as I recall Gram wasn't in the film.

And Delaney and Bonnie are only seen jamming on the train, not performing on stage.

But the Dead were great. Sang in tune and everything.

Date: February 9, 2007 17:53

No Grams, lots of grams though.

Date: February 9, 2007 18:03

Wow, saw this post with my name on it and thought I was seeing things. Long time ago I started this thread..

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 9, 2007 18:11

The Janis footage is priceless. She is fun, energetic, positive and imminently REAL. When she is "on" she is fearless, completely out on the limb, tears her heart out and leaves blood on the stage. This country has produced no better blues and soul singer. When she does "Ball & Chain" she gives me goosebumps.

Date: February 10, 2007 23:34

Buddy Guy rocked and The Band were very good. Loved the drunken Rick Danko strumming on the train singing with joplin.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 11, 2007 15:41

This dvd has some of the best footage of some fantastic bands available. No Gram with the FBB, but you can't have it all. Great to see the Dead with Pigpen, The Band rock it up and Janis has it dialed up. The train footage with the jams is also worth the price of admission. Buddy Guy shows what made him famous. Music fans should have this one in their collection.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 18, 2010 15:27

Any footage of Sam Cutler?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 18, 2010 15:58

Yeah, very nice DVD.

Brings back those days . .

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 18, 2010 16:32

Mashmakhan was a great band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home